• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Out of curiosity, that wouldn't cause MC to consider it a different map entirely and lose everyone's inventory, correct? I honestly don't know how MC handles that aspect.

Nah the player inventory is handled by a different file altogether. So technically it shouldn't be a problem with us just upping the world.

Is it possible to trim off some of those outer threads explored off the main map area? Would be nice to have the map cleaned up a bit. I do see some Nether portals scattered about by what looks to be mushroom biomes so I suppose one wouldn't know what a person could have built out there.

I did think it might be an opportunity to do a bit of world trimming but that is a hell of a job and way beyond my skillset. It isn't a "five minute" job either so you would probably have to wait a bit longer for the world to be loaded back onto the server.

On another note I proudly present NeoGaf's first cat :-

hQ3ZL.jpg

her name is Tribbles :p

Nah the player inventory is handled by a different file altogether. So technically it shouldn't be a problem with us just upping the world.
Well, it's more in relation to another server I play on - I haven't yet set foot on NeoCraft, although one of these days I probably will, just to see all that stuff people keep posting screens of in-person.

her name is Tribbles :p
I hope she's not a lot of trouble.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is it possible to trim off some of those outer threads explored off the main map area? Would be nice to have the map cleaned up a bit. I do see some Nether portals scattered about by what looks to be mushroom biomes so I suppose one wouldn't know what a person could have built out there.

I don't even know how to do this, but yeah, it would be a great time to do it. Anyone know how you trim maps and stuff? Would that be with MCEdit?

Ark

I don't even know how to do this, but yeah, it would be a great time to do it. Anyone know how you trim maps and stuff? Would that be with MCEdit?

Spuit and Toki always used to do it for me. I've never been able to get my head around MCEdit, I always just end up screwing it up.

Yeah you just basically load up the map in MCedit and delete unused areas manually. I believe there is a mod called "Auto trim" but it hasn't been updated for a while. If you are going to attempt it, you are probably best to trim the map first before converting it to the Anvil file system in minecraft.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Hey Yeti! can you pm me the details on how to get on Yeticraft??

It's public...no whitelist. We have good enough plugins we coded to stop the crazies lol.

You can read more about it on the forums in the link quikies just posted and the server address is simply: yeticraft.net

legacyzero

Banned
It's public...no whitelist. We have good enough plugins we coded to stop the crazies lol.

You can read more about it on the forums in the link quikies just posted and the server address is simply: yeticraft.net
So can you give me a TL;DR on what happens there? What's the point of the server?

Ok, I see ther server is updated and.....EVERYTHING"S GONE!!!!!!! O_O

I read the thread but Im still not sure.....are we getting everything back or starting from scratch?

Im not sure which I want to be honest :p

Ok, I see ther server is updated and.....EVERYTHING"S GONE!!!!!!! O_O

I read the thread but Im still not sure.....are we getting everything back or starting from scratch?

Im not sure which I want to be honest :p

Yes we can get everything back, the map could be put back up in a couple of hours with no problem. The issue is whether or not to trim the map, I attempted to try it but it is a hell of a lot of work to get it trimmed down.

Yes we can get everything back, the map could be put back up in a couple of hours with no problem. The issue is whether or not to trim the map, I attempted to try it but it is a hell of a lot of work to get it trimmed down.

Ah, ok. Thanks Charlie.

Miss seeing you on the server. I usually see Minsc and no one else :(

PS - Nothing against you Minsc :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So can you give me a TL;DR on what happens there? What's the point of the server?
remember that GAF pvp server from way back where people would never pvp because the gameplay was strangled by the many anti-grief and chunk protection plugins there were?
well, yeticraft doesnt have those.

everyones accessible via pvp and you can choose how vulnerable you are and what options you have RE: theft. if you choose the extreme outlier factions, you give up ease of travel and the ability to steal, for theft protection. if you choose a front, you can build towns with other front members and be safe from them while you coordniate stuff, but you're now vulnerable to almas and the opposing front. if you choose almas, you have the fewest limitations but you're stuck on smaller land between the two fronts and you have no faction mate protection.

Ark

I'm not entirely sure what is actually happening after reading the thread, Charlie & Mengy are you both/one of you trimming down the map to upload it? Just trying to keep up :p

legacyzero

Banned
remember that GAF pvp server from way back where people would never pvp because the gameplay was strangled by the many anti-grief and chunk protection plugins there were?
well, yeticraft doesnt have those.

everyones accessible via pvp and you can choose how vulnerable you are and what options you have RE: theft. if you choose the extreme outlier factions, you give up ease of travel and the ability to steal, for theft protection. if you choose a front, you can build towns with other front members and be safe from them while you coordniate stuff, but you're now vulnerable to almas and the opposing front. if you choose almas, you have the fewest limitations but you're stuck on smaller land between the two fronts and you have no faction mate protection.
I need this in my life.

Crazy, didn't you say you were on that server?

I'm not entirely sure what is actually happening after reading the thread, Charlie & Mengy are you both/one of you trimming down the map to upload it? Just trying to keep up :p

Wellllllll originally Mengy was gonna try and upload the map tonight but then someone suggested trimming the map before it gets uploaded. I honestly don't even know where to begin with trimming the map. I know MCedit is involved but that is about all I know.

I personally favour just chucking the map back up on the server it's less hassle and trimming the map isn't really going to gain us much.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
nicely summed up by pandaman

It basically allows people of all different play styles to be on the same server. If you just want to build and want all of your blocks/chests completely protected, you can join one of the regular factions (Sasquai or Yowie).

Now either of those groups can still be PVP'd, but it would take a lot to do so. They would have to traverse over 3k blocks just to get to you. Then, the only satisfaction they would get is killing you...if they even succeeded. Finally, the whole point of the Sasquai_Front and Yowie_Front groups is to serve as the "protectors" of the regular Sasquai and Yowie.

The Front groups are at war with each other. There's also the pesky Almas faction that has no friends, not even other Almas members can be absolutely trusted.

I think we accommodate every play style except someone wanting items to be spawned or wishing to have creative abilities.

EDIT: crazy is on the server as well from time to time...I believe he's Sasquai_Front.

legacyzero

Banned
nicely summed up by pandaman

It basically allows people of all different play styles to be on the same server. If you just want to build and want all of your blocks/chests completely protected, you can join one of the regular factions (Sasquai or Yowie).

Now either of those groups can still be PVP'd, but it would take a lot to do so. They would have to traverse over 3k blocks just to get to you. Then, the only satisfaction they would get is killing you...if they even succeeded. Finally, the whole point of the Sasquai_Front and Yowie_Front groups is to serve as the "protectors" of the regular Sasquai and Yowie.

The Front groups are at war with each other. There's also the pesky Almas faction that has no friends, not even other Almas members can be absolutely trusted.

I think we accommodate every play style except someone wanting items to be spawned or wishing to have creative abilities.

EDIT: crazy is on the server as well from time to time...I believe he's Sasquai_Front.
can I switch back and fourth between groups? or am I locked in once i join a group?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
can I switch back and fourth between groups? or am I locked in once i join a group?

There's a 1 day delay between switching groups. So, it turns into 2 days. One to leave the group you were in and one to join the new group. It has to be this way to stop someone from gaming the system. I could steal from you and then switch groups to one that cant be stolen from. Not very fair to you and skirts the system.

-Yeti said:
Oh my! Yeticraft!

Each of our factions is named after a different word for Sasquatch.

We'll be moving that base soon.. wasn't a good idea to build right off the tracks :)

our place has been looted like 5 times.

Actually I've got my own base hidden a little bit inside the Sasquai Front. You're more than welcome to move over to it as well. Also, it's nowhere near the tracks.

Mengy

Well, I'm going to try to fix Neocraft tonight.

I configured my FTP client so that I can log into the multiplay server and upload files now. From the looks of it, our old world is still there, it's just not being used. The server created a new map called WORLD99 and seems to be using that instead.

I'm converting the Neocraft backup from 3-29 to the new Anvil 1.2.4 version on my PC. When thats done I'll turn the server off and upload the converted Neocraft map to the server. But once that's done I still have to figure out how to tell the server to use the old map again and ignore the new WORLD99 map...

Roche

Well, I'm going to try to fix Neocraft tonight.

I configured my FTP client so that I can log into the multiplay server and upload files now. From the looks of it, our old world is still there, it's just not being used. The server created a new map called WORLD99 and seems to be using that instead.

I'm converting the Neocraft backup from 3-29 to the new Anvil 1.2.4 version on my PC. When thats done I'll turn the server off and upload the converted Neocraft map to the server. But once that's done I still have to figure out how to tell the server to use the old map again and ignore the new WORLD99 map...

You could try deleting the World99 map, you know, just make a backup first.

sippycup

Neo Member
@Mengy,

Trimming the map is actually pretty simple to do in MCEdit.

1. download the map files to your computer
  2. download & install MCEdit
  3. bring up MCEDIT
  4. click "Open a Level" and direct MCEdit to the level.dat file
  5. it will take a bit to load up the map. when it finishes, you might wanna zoom out as far as it lets you to get a better view of the branches
  6. click on the "Select" tool, first box in the bottom toolbar
  7. select the part of the world you don't want to be deleted (AKA everything but the branches). this is important!
  8. hit the "Select Chunks" option, should be to the left of your screen in a new toolbar. this expands your selection vertically so you don't have to do it yourself.
  9. go to "Chunk Control" (last box, bottom bar) and do "Prune." Everything that's not in the selection will be "pruned," or deleted. It also deletes empty regions, which is useful.
  10. it will take a bit to work it's magic, and finally you can save the map. The size should be reduced drastically, which will make converting it to Anvil take less time and it'll just be a lot more convenient to transfer back and forth/to work with in general.
  11. all done! ^_^

I don't recommend using a server plugin to do this, as servers usually lack the processing power of our PCs and anything can go wrong.
An as always, make a backup first just in case.

According to the wiki this is what you do after uploading the world :-

multiplay wiki said:
Activating the world is a simple process which takes one or two clicks. It's essentially restoring a backup.

If the backup has the same name as the world already active, we would suggest taking a backup first to avoid overwriting your current world (unless this is your intention).

1. Navigate to Clanforge -> Servers -> (tick the relevant server) -> Live Control -> World Options

2. From the restore backups dropdown menu, the latest backup should be the world you uploaded. You can then proceed to restore this backup.

Good luck

Mengy

According to the wiki this is what you do after uploading the world :-

Good luck

Yeah I see that, but I don't want to restore the backup, because the backup isn't converted to 1.2.4, and the multiplay server will just crash again when it tries to update it to the anvil format. I want to upload the updated map from my PC to the server and then switch over to the Neocraft map.

Ah, I have an idea. I'll try some file name tricks over FTP. I'll upload my map converted to anvil format, save it under a temp directory, and then restore the old backup on multiplay so that the server again points to the Neocraft WORLD folder and ignores the new WORLD99 map, but then before I restart the server I'll just swap the directories again so that my new anvil Neocraft map is what the server restarts with.

Yeah, that should work....(crosses fingers...)

Uploading the converted map now. That's gonna take a few hours with my upload speed. :(

@Sippy: thanks, I'll have to try that out sometime. Not tonight tho, first lets see if I can get the server back up and running....

legacyzero

Banned
Sippy_Cup with the assist!

Now I'm busy being lost and unable to fine any kind of civilization in YetiCraft...

Help me out Sasquai-bros!

Mengy

OKAY, Neocraft 1.2.4 is online and updated! And I confirmed you can indeed build past the old 128 height limit! Seems to be running just fine, although I only did a few brief tests. If anyone notices anything strange let us know.

Now I'm tired and going to bed. yaawwnnn...

OKAY, Neocraft 1.2.4 is online and updated! And I confirmed you can indeed build past the old 128 height limit! Seems to be running just fine, although I only did a few brief tests. If anyone notices anything strange let us know.

I think I logged on right as you finished uploading it. Awesome :)

Sweet, thanks for getting it working.

Morokh

Already found a jungle not to far from the limit of what has been explored yet, I'll set my /home there in case someone wants to /tpa to harvest something there

But right now it's night and Zombiez and Creepers have their Player GPS on, so i'll explore later xD

Edit : Uh yeah seems the plugins need to be updated now :p the commands don't work.

coordinates : head towards X 881 / Z 2670

defel

Apparently in the next release ghost TNT will be fixed. About fucking time! I hope they sort out the mobs-through-walls "glitchyness" while they're at it.

Top Bottom