• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MLBTR:

The Giants and Javier Lopez have agreed to a two-year, $8.5MM contract, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press. The money will be divided evenly in each year as the left-handed reliever will earn $4.25MM in 2012 and '13.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
2nR8v.jpg

I wonder how many actually ended up getting printed...

h3ro

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
The Knicks aren't even in the same breath as the Celtics. Hell, there are a ton of Celtics fans in NY due to the fact they suck so hard. I was just comparing the down years of top teams.
I thought we were posting shit-tier players that we had to root for in basketball.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
As widely anticipated, CC Sabathia is planning to opt out of the remaining four years of his contract prior to Monday night’s deadline, SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports.

The Associated Press says that the Yankees have made Sabathia a new offer in an attempt to get him to forgo opting out. Sabathia has $92 million left on the seven-year, $161 million contract he signed with the Yankees after the 2008 season.

Heyman states that the Yankees remain the favorites to sign Sabathia, but that the 31-year-old left-hander does plan to explore his options. Heyman lists the Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers, Blue Jays and Rangers as candidates to put in bids.

Sabathia could be in line something like $150 million over six years as part of a new contract. That would give him a $25 million annual salary, compared to the $23 million he’d be giving up by opting out.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/report-cc-sabathia-set-to-opt-out-of-contract
Fi7CV.jpg

Rafa=FedKilla said:
thanks

Sanjuro

I'm going to lie to myself and believe we have a shot at CC. This entire year has been terrible for me, that would be the ultimate Christmas gift I could ever receive.

hemtae

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm going to lie to myself and believe we have a shot at CC. This entire year has been terrible for me, that would be the ultimate Christmas gift I could ever receive.

What happened to the Bruins win? Also any interest we show in CC will be used purely to drive the cost up for the Yankees.

Sanjuro

hemtae said:
What happened to the Bruins win? Also any interest we show in CC will be used purely to drive the cost up for the Yankees.
I mean more personal issues, nothing to do with sports. Getting CC would reignite the child in me. I had tickets to see Clemens pitch on two occasions, both rained out. First time I got to see him pitch in person was his final regular season game at Fenway in a Yankees uniform. I will never get over that. I want to crush some obese child in the Bronx dreams.

Sanjuro

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Wat would it take to sign CC? The guy is huge, body can't hold up much longer.
I don't buy the "guy is big, he won't hold up" logic. Some of these players are just freaks. Until a players career starts yielding I won't judge.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Wat would it take to sign CC? The guy is huge, body can't hold up much longer.

Gotta wait and see on that. There are guys like Wainwright that have season-ending injuries, but are actually fairly slender.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
15 million for Beltran could actually pay off.

9 million for 2 lefty relievers, what the hell?
15 million is fine as long as they keep it to 3 years max.

Yankees paid over 8 million for 2 lefty relievers that missed the whole season.

McNei1y

Off Season 2011-2012: A big time for the Nationals. I'll actually enjoy sitting through this off season because of how much of an impact it'll have for this team. We could either real in another top tier pitcher or manage to get a big offensive piece. One of them would be very, very nice.

At least for the time being I get to follow AFL stats. This off season needs to go fast though.

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Melvin should pull a Ruben Amaro and sign CC out of fucking nowhere. WE'RE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER.

I was happy for about ten minutes this afternoon when I heard about Yuni. Then Melvin said he would possibly bring him back at a reduced price.

Now I am pissed again.

Sanjuro

Red Sox 2012 Lineup. Where fried chicken needs to be blended first. ALL FA BABY!

C: Ivan Rodriquez
1B: Jim Thome
2B: Craig Counsell
3B: Miquel Tejada
SS: Edgar Renteria
LF: Matt Stairs
CF: Mike Cameron
RF: Vlad Guerrero
DH: Manny Rameriez

Kerry Wood
Kevin Milwood
Jaime Moyer
Tim Wakefield
Hiroki Kuroda

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Red Sox 2012 Lineup. Where fried chicken needs to be blended first. ALL FA BABY!

C: Ivan Rodriquez
1B: Jim Thome
2B: Craig Counsell
3B: Miquel Tejada
SS: Edgar Renteria
LF: Matt Stairs
CF: Mike Cameron
RF: Vlad Guerrero
DH: Manny Rameriez

Kerry Wood
Kevin Milwood
Jaime Moyer
Tim Wakefield
Hiroki Kuroda
I like it. Carl Crawford at 20 million for pinch running duties is perfect.

Sanjuro

The Red Sox have announced they are picking up shortstop Marco Scutaro's $6 million team option for 2012. Scutaro, who turned 36 years-old Sunday, also possessed a $3 million player option if the team had declined to its option.

Scutaro has been with the Red Sox for the past two seasons after signing a two-year, $12.5 million deal as a free agent prior to the '10 campaign. He turned in one of his best seasons as a major leaguer in '11 despite playing in just 113 games due to an oblique injury, hitting .299 with a .358 on-base percentage. Scutaro also finished last season with career-best .423 slugging percentage and .781 OPS. In his two seasons with the Sox, Scutaro has a line of .283/.343/.401/.744.

Despite his age, and injury concerns, Scutaro would have entered the free agent market as perhaps the second-most coveted shortstop behind Jose Reyes. Also factoring into the Red Sox decision is the need for shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias to get more work in the minors.

Click here for more analysis regarding the reasons behind the Sox' decision to execute Scutaro's options. For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.

8rMuQ.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"Despite his age, and injury concerns, Scutaro would have entered the free agent market as perhaps the second-most coveted shortstop behind Jose Reyes"

Did the Phillies resign Jimmy Rollins and I miss it or something?

Good move by the Red Sox. Obviously.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
"Despite his age, and injury concerns, Scutaro would have entered the free agent market as perhaps the second-most coveted shortstop behind Jose Reyes"

Did the Phillies resign Jimmy Rollins and I miss it or something?

WEEI. Only New York and Boston exist.

eznark

Banned
jakncoke said:
We declined Doumit and Snyder contracts, that frees up like 12 million. Hope we spend it wisely.

Fuck. Prototypical Melvin signee there. Great replacement for Prince.....

Yadi Molina became my favorite Cardinal after his game winning HR against the Mets in that NLCS Game 7 but reading how that Beltran AB unfolded almost makes up for his hideous neck tattoos.

WAINWRIGHT: "Yadier comes out to the mound, just so we know how we're going to face him. We decided we're going to start him with a fastball away, sinker away. I liked it - let's attack him, let's not be scared of him."

BELTRAN: "I was looking for maybe a fastball middle-away."

WAINWRIGHT: "[Molina] goes back to the plate and if you watch baseball a lot, you'll see sometimes when a catcher points to his chest and says, 'Trust me here or follow me.' Yadier has this sign like, 'I'm on to something here, just throw whatever I put down.' He puts down a changeup. I hadn't thrown a changeup in probably a month."

"I threw it right down Broadway, right down the middle. He took it and he kind of looked out, like, did you just throw me a changeup?"

BELTRAN: "In order for you to swing at a first-pitch changeup, you have to really be looking for a changeup. I wasn't looking for a changeup."

Lo DUCA: "He threw him a first-pitch changeup, and a lot of people always say, 'Why didn't he swing at that first pitch?' Well, Wainwright really never threw a changeup. We were all sort of surprised."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/there_back_cardinals_those_mets_O04z7clez2CwOELAYaXRWO/7

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aramis Ramirez turned down his side of the $16 million mutual option after the Cubs picked up their side of the option.

Should be interesting to see where he ends up. He had a really nice year last season. I think the Marlins are going to be throwing ridiculous amounts of money his way.

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
Aramis Ramirez turned down his side of the $16 million mutual option after the Cubs picked up their side of the option.

Should be interesting to see where he ends up. He had a really nice year last season. I think the Marlins are going to be throwing ridiculous amounts of money his way.
Who does he think he is, Manny Ramirez?

Little Green Yoda said:
Yadi Molina became my favorite Cardinal after his game winning HR against the Mets in that NLCS Game 7 but reading how that Beltran AB unfolded almost makes up for his hideous neck tattoos.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/there_back_cardinals_those_mets_O04z7clez2CwOELAYaXRWO/7

That entire series was amazing. Much better than the shit the Tigers displayed vs. the Cards in the World Series that year.

Y. Molina is one of the better catchers I've ever seen; I think he's continuously underrated. His pick-offs at 1st are still a force to be reckoned with even though everyone knows (or, they should know) what he's capable of.

Hopefully Cards can re-sign Albert. Also interested to see in the next few years a few players from our minors up in the big show.

Kolten Wong for 2nd base and Shelby Miller for pitching. Also interested to see Matt Adams play (he plays 1st base, so there is no chance for him if Albert resigns, but I still want to see him play in the big show even just for a little bit.

Wong might be short, but he looks exciting and has some hitting skills and a good glove to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom