• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You know Dana has some F U money when he's now headlining PPVs sarcastically to make a point. His quote in response to the recently scheduled DJ/Borg fight.

"You want Ray Borg, we’ll give you Ray Borg. I’m sure the fans will be clamoring, and ticket sales will be through the roof and pay-per-views will be off the charts"

UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport.

At this point Cormiers and Jons drawing power are questionable. They added 2 championship fights for that card to make sure this one was a hit. Smart move.

Oh and Woodley/Thompson 2 drew 200k buys btw. He better does what Dana tells him to do.
Miocic/Santos 2 300k. DC/AJ 2 300k.

They need to reschedule Alvarez/Poirier and make it a fight night or something. Or co-main PPV.

Dysun

At this point Cormiers and Jons drawing power are questionable. They added 2 championship fights for that card to make sure this one was a hit. Smart move.

Oh and Woodley/Thompson 2 drew 200k buys btw. He better does what Dana tells him to do.
Miocic/Santos 2 300k. DC/AJ 2 300k.

They need to reschedule Alvarez/Poirier and make it a fight night or something. Or co-main PPV.

Sounds like none of these guys are drawing much outside of the hardcore 150-300k buyers

Sounds like none of these guys are drawing much outside of the hardcore 150-300k buyers

This has been the norm for years. Only a handful of personalities pull more than 500k on any normal basis. And most of them are old and retired or may as well be retired.

Chumley

Banned
You know Dana has some F U money when he's now headlining PPVs sarcastically to make a point. His quote in response to the recently scheduled DJ/Borg fight.

"You want Ray Borg, we’ll give you Ray Borg. I’m sure the fans will be clamoring, and ticket sales will be through the roof and pay-per-views will be off the charts"

I've always been a DJ fan and defended him but I still don't understand why he didn't take the TJ fight.

I've always been a DJ fan and defended him but I still don't understand why he didn't take the TJ fight.

Because he knows that TJ is more of a threat than Borg. MM's title defense streak is really one of the only big marketing stances he can hang his hat on. If he secures the all-time record, that's major and unlikely to be broken for a long time.

TJ is too big a risk to spoil that.

Because he knows that TJ is more of a threat than Borg. MM's title defense streak is really one of the only big marketing stances he can hang his hat on. If he secures the all-time record, that's major and unlikely to be broken for a long time.

Ya I agree. I think he wanted to secure the record first before moving up weight classes taking on tougher talent. I think once he has the record he'll entertain whomever wants to fight for the belt or even superfights with whomever.

Chumley

Banned

That's exactly what I think, too. There's no excuse other than fear.

Syder

DJ askin for low money fights.
Maybe he thinks his Twitch subs will pick up the slack?
KuGsj.gif

I sort of get DJ's position. Prime earning potential is fleeting in MMA so you have to get paid when you can, but the TJ fight is the closest thing he could have gotten to a high profile fight. TJ isn't some megastar, but being on TUF and his feud with Cody has certainly raised his profile. Win that, and then you can put yourself in a position to ask for a bigger payday.

I sort of get DJ's position. Prime earning potential is fleeting in MMA so you have to get paid when you can, but the TJ fight is the closest thing he could have gotten to a high profile fight. TJ isn't some megastar, but being on TUF and his feud with Cody has certainly raised his profile. Win that, and then you can put yourself in a position to ask for a bigger payday.

He was planning on fighting Cody once he broke the record. They had something in the works before Cody got hurt. The plan was once he disposed of TJ that he would move down weight and fight Mighty Mouse.

zewone

DJ blew a big opportunity to make a name for himself.

He could have made history defending his belt for the most consecutive times while also beating a former-champ / title contender with a bigger name than any of his previous 10 opponents.

Guy is talking about marketing when he fails to get out of his own way.

Chumley

Banned
DJ blew a big opportunity to make a name for himself.

He could have made history defending his belt for the most consecutive times while also beating a former-champ / title contender with a bigger name than any of his previous 10 opponents.

Guy is talking about marketing when he fails to get out of his own way.

It's annoying because I always said the UFC could do more to market him, and then they offer him a golden opportunity. He turns it down.

No more excuses left for DJ.

Levito

Banned

I'm willing to bet they did that encase Jon falls out again. The UFC brass are probably sweating that might happen again

Ironic that the title defense record means so much to him that even if he gets it no one will really care for DJ.

I'm willing to be they did that encase Jon falls out again. The UFC brass are probably sweating that might happen again

Of course. Always sweating bullets with Jonny boy.

iddqd

I'm willing to be they did that encase Jon falls out again. The UFC brass are probably sweating that might happen again

Is DC/Jones the Co-main? Because I remember Dana being VERY ADAMANT about the fact that Jones will never be the Main event of a card.

Also I just saw that Travis Browne is fighting Oleksiy Oliynyk who holds the record for most Ezekiel choke wins in MMA. THAT would be an amazing way for Browne to go out and over to Bellator.

Levito

Banned
Is DC/Jones the Co-main? Because I remember Dana being VERY ADAMANT about the fact that Jones will never be the Main event of a card.

He said that, but it's a main event fight. DC said he wont co-main that fight for anyone but Conor.

Chumley

Banned

Decided to make the leap of faith and give him the main event, because Dana and Jon both know if he pulls out for any reason this time he's cut and done in the UFC forever. This is the make or break moment.

Decided to make the leap of faith and give him the main event, because Dana and Jon both know if he pulls out for any reason this time he's cut and done in the UFC forever. This is the make or break moment.

Wow. Now I wanna see Jon pull out only to see the Dana interview after.

zewone

People still shitting on DJ after he made his chase? smh, corporate cheerleaders.

Cool narrative.

The reality is most of us were just talking about DJ blowing a big opportunity to make fans and/ or be more marketable.

He can have his morals and make his own decision, and I still respect his decision.

But the world isn't black and white. So just because you don't agree with his decision, it doesn't mean you're siding with the UFC.

DJ did offer to take the fight if he was guaranteed his and TJ's show money if TJ missed weight.

Guaranteed his money, TJ's money, AND the fight would be called off. Which I've never heard of ever happening before. He knew that "request" was outlandish as hell and would never get greenlit when he made it.

Chumley

Banned
lmao this guy on Sonnen's podcast "If Conor can knock Floyd down, not even knock him out, just knock him down once... he's illuminati."

lmao this guy on Sonnen's podcast "If Conor can knock Floyd down, not even knock him out, just knock him down once... he's illuminati."

If you look at a dollar bill - the top of the pyramid is separated from the rest and this is to represent head moooment.

brentech

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/30/15905572/csac-holds-historic-weigh-ins-30-days-before-ufc-214
UFC 214 is a month away, however, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) has already held its first weigh-in for the event.

Earlier this week, the commission had the six fighters competing in title fights on the July 29 card -- Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Tyron Woodley, Demian Maia, Cris Cyborg and Tonya Evinger — weigh-in via FaceTime.

CSAC executive officer Andy Foster told MMA Fighting that he was pleased with the six fighters' current weights, although he wouldn't disclose those specific numbers.

This was a first for a UFC event and part of the CSAC's new ground-breaking package of weight-cutting regulations. As part of the 10-point plan, which was introduced in May, the commission reserved the right to check the weights of fighters competing in title fights 30 and 10 days before the event in order to insure they were en route to making weight in a healthy and safe manner, much like the World Boxing Council does prior to its title fights.

”We are so pleased with the cooperation from the camps and the fighters," Foster said. ”This was not some kind of small undertaking and everyone was very helpful in getting it done."

And while Foster was very happy afterward, he left the door open to check the fighters' weights again remotely before fight week.

Foster also said his doctors had a weight limit in mind for each title fight, but he wouldn't disclose those numbers.

For more on CSAC's new weight-cutting plan, which will affect all the fighters competing next month's card in Anaheim, Calif., click here.

I like it.

Heel

a few MMA reporters hinting that UFC is currently exploring possibilities of selling flyweight to another promotion..

lol

I always said Mighty Mouse was killing the division, but I wasn't being quite this literal.

Have fun being the "GOAT" somewhere in Singapore, breh.

VoxPop

It's a shame because MM is insanely talented and is arguably the P4P #1. I actually get pretty excited to watch His fights just to see his technical mastery but if you're not bringing in money and publicly shaming the organization you work for on top of that, you can't really expect them to give in to your demands.

140 - 150 - 165 - 180 - 200-240 HW - 240+ is my ideal scenario going forward. If they have the talent to fill the divisions of course.

iddqd

We live in great times:
image393jxarc.png

”I'm a big fan of UFC and (am) looking forward to joining the team to bring my unique take on all the action," Snoop told ESPN.com. ”Y'all in for a brand-new experience with Dogg on the mic."

A more traditional commentary team is also expected to be added shortly.

Even if they sell the division MM will probably just go back up to 135 and stay in the UFC. After he breaks the title defense record of course.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nobody wants to watch mini men fight. They should only have 3-4 weight divisions, anyways.

brentech

I think it was mentioned on UFC Unfiltered by someone that they were thinking about closing it down or something.
Yea. DJ said they threatened it, but Dana said on the podcast that it has been under consideration for a while due to a lack of draw.

He's not likely to see the same success at 135.

DJ at 135 at still a really good fighter. Back when he was a Bantamweight fighter the only two guys ranked ahead of him were Faber and Cruz despite being at a big size disadvantage. His speed would give fighters at 135 nightmares.

DJ at 135 at still a really good fighter. Back when he was a Bantamweight fighter the only two guys ranked ahead of him were Faber and Cruz despite being at a big size disadvantage. His speed would give fighters at 135 nightmares.

Cruz gave him nightmares and he barely got past Uncle Creepy. He's improved but so has the 135 division. A division where Cruz made everyone look like fools in the past now has two more guys at equal level or better than Cruz in TJ and Cody. MM's gas tank does well at135 and he's still fast but he's going to be on the losing end of physical strength. Bantam is also a deeper division with more experienced fighters. It's just not going to be as smooth a path as 125 was.

Top Bottom