• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

brentech

Just spoke to Holm's agent Fresquez. On what's next:

"We're gonna wait for our rightful title fight. At 135 or 145, we'll take either one."

Code:
Win	11–3	Bethe Correia	KO (head kick and punch)	UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Correia	June 17, 2017	3	1:09	Kallang, Singapore	Return to Bantamweight.
Loss	10–3	Germaine de Randamie	Decision (unanimous)	UFC 208	February 11, 2017	5	5:00	Brooklyn, New York, United States For the inaugural UFC Women's Featherweight Championship.
Loss	10–2	Valentina Shevchenko	Decision (unanimous)	UFC on Fox: Holm vs. Shevchenko	July 23, 2016	5	5:00	Chicago, Illinois, United States	
Loss	10–1	Miesha Tate	Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)	UFC 196	March 5, 2016	5	3:30	Las Vegas, Nevada, United States	Lost the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship.

Ryan-Gosling-Shaking-Head-No.gif

Chumley

Banned
Ref having to stop them and tell them to do something. Damn

That guy shouldn't work in the UFC again for doing that. Infuriating load of bullshit, pulling fighters apart for hugging it out too long is one thing, not approving of the way they're actually fighting is another. Even in just bleed era 90's MMA I don't think a ref has ever literally stopped the fight to tell them to start hurting eachother more.

Tell me the last time a ref has stopped fighters to tell them to basically change their fight gameplan.

Anyway, love that Holm won.

It happens literally anytime fighters aren't engaging because that pisses off the fans that came to see a fight. If one or both fighters refuse to engage and basically just stand around pawing at the air, the ref will tell them to step it up or he can stop the fight and DQ them both. Refusing to engage or actively running away from all attempts from an opponent to push the action is tantamount to not wanting to fight. It makes you unwilling which is the same as not protecting oneself. Which results in a stoppage or DQ.

The Pitbull/Polish guy fight was really good in rd 1 but then turned into a typical hw fight that goes the distance.

God damn that head kick and then bouncing her head off the canvas. That was beautiful.

Didn't see any of the rest of the card. Anything else worth watching?

Chumley

Banned
It happens literally anytime fighters aren't engaging because that pisses off the fans that came to see a fight. If one or both fighters refuse to engage and basically just stand around pawing at the air, the ref will tell them to step it up or he can stop the fight and DQ them both. Refusing to engage or actively running away from all attempts from an opponent to push the action is tantamount to not wanting to fight. It makes you unwilling which is the same as not protecting oneself. Which results in a stoppage or DQ.

I've never seen it happen in the 3 or 4 years I've watched UFC. Woodley/Thompson 2 had less action and it didn't happen there.

Let fighters fight however they want. If one won't engage the other should be able to use that and knock them out. If Dana doesn't like the way they fight he can cut them, but a ref interjecting his opinion in the middle of the fight does nothing but fuck with the headspace of the people in the ring. They have a gameplan and they should be allowed to stick to it when they're in the octagon, end of story. Drunk fans aren't the ones risking horrendous injury from one false step.

I've never seen it happen in the 3 or 4 years I've watched UFC. Woodley/Thompson 2 had less action and it didn't happen there.

Let fighters fight however they want. If one won't engage the other should be able to use that and knock them out. If Dana doesn't like the way they fight he can cut them, but a ref interjecting his opinion in the middle of the fight does nothing but fuck with the headspace of the people in the ring.

A ref's job is literally to interject with his opinion within the context of the rules. They're literally a judge in the cage, ring, on the court, ice, or field.

The UFC can and will issue their own seperate judgements, punishments, rewards, whatever. But the fact remains, no one pays to see fighters pace around each other for minutes at a time. It's a bad thing. In MMA the refs are told to encourage the fighters to engage just as they are told to discourage wall n stall and lay n pray tactics. All three of those things equate to the same thing. Stalling action instead of pushing it.

brentech

I've watched too much MMA to actually remember specific examples, but I can recall a couple times where a ref had to stop them and tell them to pick up the action.

brentech

Sooo happy for Holm, man it felt sooo satisfying when she KO'd Correia after she (Bethe) taunted/mocked her.

Best way to win a fight.

I find it funny that a woman known for pushing the pace wasn't willing to get after it, but instead mocked her well known counter puncher opponent.

Just read this, yeah. Dude apparently was KO'd 7 times since August 2015 before this fight. His brain must've been soup at this point, how the fuck did they let him fight?

http://middleeasy.com/mma-news/ko-v...ague-to-fall-into-a-brain-dead-coma-surfaces/

Here's a video of the fight.

Bad trainers/staff Hague has. Somebody needed to make him quit. Tragedy...

Holm wasnt anything special last night. The finish was nice but I doubt she can regain the title. Bethe has the shittiest technique of the entire roster (she cant kick/punch properly) and Holm was scared to engage and take her out. Bethe was the perfect opponent to make a statement.

for what it's worth i enjoyed watching the holm fight

im the ultimate casual but i knew it was five rounds and if both of them want to dance a round away thats fine

don't hate the ref either, you can't really have him take points or whatever for that, but at some point you have to remind them that it's a possibility

it was a decent buildup that was teasing something with the few good strikes, and then the finish was kinda wonderful

VoxPop

That Tim Hague news is so sad. What a terrible situation all around. Best to his family.

Also when Goddard warned Bethe/Holm, only Bethe broke her gameplan which she was arguably winning with and went balls deep Diaz mode while Holly continued her patented Jackson Wink shadowboxing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Goddamn Tim Hague. RIP.

Getting repeatedly punched in the head by 300lb dudes can't be healthy.

Jerm411

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...mpionship-germaine-de-randamie-stripped-title

De Randamie stripped of the title....Cyborg/Megan Anderson is the new co-main event at 214 for the title....

"UFC has informed Germaine de Randamie and her management team that she is being removed as the women's featherweight champion due to her unwillingness to fight the No. 1 ranked contender, Cris 'Cyborg' Justino," UFC said in a statement. "UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport."

The quote in bold is so goddamn hilarious......you wanna strip GdR? Ok whatever, don't talk to me about the integrity of the sport and titles though....

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...mpionship-germaine-de-randamie-stripped-title

De Randamie stripped of the title....Cyborg/Megan Anderson is the new co-main event at 214 for the title....

The quote in bold is so goddamn hilarious......you wanna strip GdR? Ok whatever, don't talk to me about the integrity of the sport and titles though....

"UFC maintains that any champion is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport." So Demian Maia is next in line for the welterweight strap then?

Syder

lol fuck GDR, won it with a fight she shouldn't have won then didn't even entertain the idea of defending it.

Cyborg is going to be Champion of the Cyborg Division.

Fox318

I see no reason why the ufc shouldn't fire Germaine de Randamie.

She was given a title and could have used that to make more money than she ever could at any other fight or division.

Let her go to Bellator and try and make more money.

Oh I like Megan better. Oh bae baby. GdR needs to step aside because Im going to look at Megan when she fights...auuuuuuuuuuu!

Levito

Banned
The UFC just really need to calm down with interim belts and "money fights" that aren't really money fights.

Like TJ vs DJ isn't a god damn money fight. That fight is slightly more appealing on paper than Borg vs DJ at best.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Fuck me, that's quote of the year material right there. UFC maintains that any champion, except Conor, or Eddie when he fought Conor, or DJ, or Bisping, or maybe Woodley right now, is expected to accept fights against the top contenders in their respective weight classes in order to maintain the integrity of the sport. Nearly a full one half of our champions are regularly expected to accept fights against the top contenders.

Top Bottom