• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Chesskid1

Banned
kevin the type of fighter who really has to psyche himself up, i think he just got carried away with it, ref should of deducted for sure though

Syder

This division is great

McNugget still to comeback[?], Tony is amazing, Khabib is amazing

...and we've still got Alvarez, Barboza, Gaethje, Nate and now a great up-and-comer in Kevin Lee.

Plenty of awesome match-ups to make.

This division is great

McNugget still to comeback[?], Tony is amazing, Khabib is amazing

...and we've still got Alvarez, Barboza, Gaethje, Nate and now a great up-and-comer in Kevin Lee.

Plenty of awesome match-ups to make.

Lightweight is easily the most consistently great division in MMA

Afrikan

$

Lolol.

That being said, Kevin Lee surpised me with his performance.

Conor vs Khabib would be a real long shot to go to a decision. Either Khabib gets stopped within 2 rounds, or Conor gets GnP'd to oblivion.

They'd also have to have the ref sequestered away with armed guards

I agree, shouldn't have been allowed to fight with that infection

Luke Thomas is right, it would basically be a huge insult if Conor doesn't fight Tony next. Fuck the Diaz fight, who gives a shit, dude has been inactive and sitting on his ass while Tony has cleaned out the division.

Syder

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the weight cut that left his immune system open to the staph, which stopped him from getting his water back after the weigh-in.

BadAss2961

Luke Thomas is right, it would basically be a huge insult if Conor doesn't fight Tony next. Fuck the Diaz fight, who gives a shit, dude has been inactive and sitting on his ass while Tony has cleaned out the division.
Exactly. We have an interim champ now. This is the guy Conor has to fight.

Also, I don't buy the idea of the rubber match being the money fight. Anything with Conor is a money fight now, and the buildup with him and Ferguson could be about as good as the ones with Diaz.

Tony was on a 9 fight win streak before fighting for an interim title.

The UFC is more than comfortable insulting the man and anybody else in the way of Conor.

McGregor/Diaz 3 is next.

Hopefully they get it done soon, cause if they do the timing of it ain't too shabby considering Ferguson was essentially training for 10 months and more than likely wants to enjoy the holidays with his family. He's got the interim belt. He'll be fighting for the real belt next. If it's not Conor, Nate - both winnable fights.

Lee will probably take care of Khabib next so he won't be in the picture for a while.

"Tom Petty died at 66, this guy was a superhuman 64 year old?"

Dana White implying conspiracy theories about the Vegas shooter. Great.

Also, just said Ferguson v Conor has to happen next and said the Nate fight is bullshit.

"You can't run anymore man, you're in check. And I'm great at chess". lmao

Tony trash talk is actually cringe.

Like I like the guy and love watching him fight, but good lord is he awkward on the mic

Edit - lol Tony is geeked out on those Monster drinks right now. Jittery as hell, standing up during the conference and all over the place

Holy shit I just spent the entire last 60 seconds of that Press Conference laughing my fucking ass off at Tony holding the belt posing with his shades down.

The man is fucking all over the place and I don't feel like he's aware of it at all. Seems like a good dude but man, that level of awkwardness is just something else

Holy shit I just spent the entire last 60 seconds of that Press Conference laughing my fucking ass off at Tony holding the belt posing with his shades down.

The man is fucking all over the place and I don't feel like he's aware of it at all. Seems like a good dude but man, that level of awkwardness is just something else

I was laughing for almost the entire conference. I wonder if this is just some weird character he thinks works for the camera, it seems to me like he's just a naturally socially awkward guy who doesn't feel comfortable being himself in front of the media and crowds and stuff. The glasses thing is a straight up cheesy 90's cool guy thing that was actually never cool.

broz0rs

Exactly. We have an interim champ now. This is the guy Conor has to fight.

Also, I don't buy the idea of the rubber match being the money fight. Anything with Conor is a money fight now, and the buildup with him and Ferguson could be about as good as the ones with Diaz.

Let's just say hypothetically Conor can get the same PPV numbers fighting Tony than Nate. The problem is that Tony is arguably a better version of Nate. It'll be too risky for Conor to fight Tony when Nate takes him to the limit.

At this point, the belts don't mean anything to Conor. So i'm going to make a case that he's going to take Diaz 3 at 170 lbs to milk that out, and win or lose he'll fight the 155 lbs champ after. (assuming Tony)

That staph infection shit is fucking crazy.

Also, more serious complications aside, can't imagine how painful that infected swollen area must've been to be punched?

Ferguson is trying too hard with the trash talk as he knows Conor is coming up. He is like my favourite guy in a fight and my least favourite out of one. Kevin Lee would have been a fun opponent for Conor.

Tony is Conors worst nightmare. Conor has cardio issues and Tony is a cardio freak BUT Tony gets hit so he could go to sleep. Great match!

I wish I could be like some of you with these reactions, but alas, because of reality, I'll believe Conor defending any belt, even the one that holds up his fucking pants, if a bell rings. Not a moment before.

I understand Nate vs Conor 3 is bigger but how can Tony be denied? No way Conor ducks him without being called scared. Tony's propelled himself as the true #1 contender and will probably hurt Nate 3's buy rate because of it.

The Nate fight will still be there for Conor whether Conor beats or loses to Tony.

Afrikan

I was laughing for almost the entire conference. I wonder if this is just some weird character he thinks works for the camera, it seems to me like he's just a naturally socially awkward guy who doesn't feel comfortable being himself in front of the media and crowds and stuff. The glasses thing is a straight up cheesy 90's cool guy thing that was actually never cool.

Tony has always been like this... it's just that now, with more fame (and doing Fox Sports shows) he tries to mix in *professionalism*...

So Tony's regular character + new character for the camera (like you say) = El Cucuy 2.0

And this isn't even his final form.

Yaari

I understand Nate vs Conor 3 is bigger but how can Tony be denied? No way Conor ducks him without being called scared. Tony's propelled himself as the true #1 contender and will probably hurt Nate 3's buy rate because of it.

The Nate fight will still be there for Conor whether Conor beats or loses to Tony.

I often question if Nate is really such a big draw at all. I mean, the guy has not done shit the past year. Are people suddenly going to want to see that trilogy fight? I sure as hell dont want it.

Heel

LVRJ: UFC's White furious Aldean turned down Las Vegas ceremony

”(Expletive) you, Jason Aldean," White told the Las Vegas Review-Journal after UFC 216. ”And stay out of Vegas, (expletive)."

”That (expletive) goes and does ‘Saturday Night Live.' It makes me sick."

The most egomaniacal reaction I've seen from Dana, and that's saying something. I think we all know why you'd want Jason Aldean playing at a UFC card instead of Everlast, prick. This isn't about you.

Syder

The interview where Everlast said it didn't feel appropriate to sing the national anthem because of some of the lyrics just says it all.
This stuff is embedded in American culture.

Also, I had no idea who Jason Aldean was until a week ago but he can do whatever the fuck he wants, he witnessed a horrific event, he's a victim of this tragedy too.

Heel

Maybe Jason Aldean doesn't want to play in front of thousands of people in Vegas the same week he witnessed the largest mass shooting in modern American history, Dana. Why does he get to decide how the country mourns? Because he's a Vegas fat cat? Incredible response.

Syder

Maybe it's just me but the VEGAS STRONG t-shirts with UFC branding made me just a bit uncomfortable to say the least...

Ya Dana went full Trump on this one.

The patriotism was weird last night. I was disturbed by it after 9/11 but at least that made sense. Massacres don't get much more American than a rich white high roller with a shit load of legal assault rifles raining down bullets from a Vegas suite into a country music festival.

Seeing Everlast was cool though and at least he didn't sing the anthem.

Maybe Jason Aldean doesn't want to play in front of thousands of people in Vegas the same week he witnessed the largest mass shooting in modern American history, Dana. Why does he get to decide how the country mourns? Because he's a Vegas fat cat? Incredible response.

Because he's a massive Trump-loving piece of shit and always will be.

Top Bottom