• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

I try to enjoy it. But this is all about the doom and gloom of bad mma and apparently even every card the ufc puts on is going to suck.

:( It's depressing man, the TUF finale was great!

Bad MMA has evolved into a term of endearment, friend.

What makes fights meaningful? Ranks and belts? Two top guys seeing who has the better strategy? Names?

For me I think knowing anything about the guys fighting helps a lot. I don't really care if it means anything in rankings or belts. Strategies is sometimes interesting to me, but I'm not literate enough in the topic to really get into it (call it tactics).

But I really just want to see a scrap. As the Voice recently quipped on Titan, HERE COMES THE VIOLENCE!

An interesting clash of styles or talent is enough to make it interesting or meaningful to me. I mean, in what other sport do you need to know the finite intricacies of their personality or lifestyle to enjoy them as athletes? It can absolutely make them more interesting (e.g. Chael), but it's not at all necessary. Once the cage door locks it's all out the window.

A fight like Miocic vs. Del Rosario is meaningful to me, and I know jack shit about who they are as people.

yacobod

Banned
We both know our good friend dream is a master of gloom. Yes, the Ultimate sucks at developing draws and has saturated the brand. Even so, they're still putting on great fights, especially as of late. No need to be miserable like our Sports Entertainment brothers on the other side of the tracks. I mean, our cards are actually entertaining.

Can we just get back to enjoying MMA please?

sien, when you spend $800/year watching ultimates on ppv like dream and i, you are entitled to complain about the sport/cards/product.

the bad-mma plebs living below the breadline watching low quality pirated streams have no room to talk.

dream

It's worth noting that my good friend yacobod is not exaggerating; we both spent north of $800 on the Ultimate in the past year, which is very much like realizing you spent hundreds of dollars dining at McDonald's.

ShaneB

What makes fights meaningful? Ranks and belts? Two top guys seeing who has the better strategy? Names?

For me I think knowing anything about the guys fighting helps a lot. I don't really care if it means anything in rankings or belts. Strategies is sometimes interesting to me, but I'm not literate enough in the topic to really get into it (call it tactics).

But I really just want to see a scrap. As the Voice recently quipped on Titan, HERE COMES THE VIOLENCE!

I asked this before in a different way in wondering what makes a good fight for some of the folks here.

Much like you, I don't care at all about belts and ranks, and have stated before I'd love if they were gotten rid off, but it helps to know who is fighting just based on past fight history. I like knowing guys fighting so I can at least go in expecting something, much like any other sport where I know about teams playing.

The problem with meaningful fights given the current situation is that if you're not a contender, you're not really all that meaningful apparently. You're either on way up the top, or you're a gatekeeper. That's a major problem given that the sport has grown, but yet there's only one title (per division).

I love the tournament format from Bellator and wish it was more feasible to incorporate it into the UFC/more mma in general. Seasons with seeding based on points, etc, then you know every fight as value instead of it just implying "well win and you move up the rankings, lose and you go home"

Of course, none of it matters when you can get away with only fighting once or twice a year. So meh.

Also, why is Rory Mcdonald calling out BJ Penn? Dumb fight for him.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The problem with meaningful fights given the current situation is that if you're not a contender, you're not really all that meaningful apparently. You're either on way up the top, or you're a gatekeeper. That's a major problem given that the sport has grown, but yet there's only one title (per division).

The problem is when a championship becomes static, and holds up the division. Carlos Condit is the perfect example. He's parked his car on the highway and everyone else can just honk their horns and wait. The lightweight division is in a similar situation, but hell, at least the champion is fighting somebody.

I love the tournament format from Bellator and wish it was more feasible to incorporate it into the UFC/more mma in general. Seasons with seeding based on points, etc, then you know every fight as value instead of it just implying "well win and you move up the rankings, lose and you go home"

The tournament model is excellent at developing fighters and giving the viewer a chance to follow them and also provides a realistic scope of fighter rankings. The downsides are obvious: you either have to run constant tournaments to garner enough challengers for the title or have meaningless "super" fights where your hyped-up champion runs the risk of getting MPumbu'd. That and injuries and other fighter withdrawals can fuck with the programming.

I'd really like to see Strikeforce "rebranded" into a tournament model to challenge Bellator. The problem then is what to offer the winner: a belt or a UFC contract.

If anything he should be calling Condit out. I understand he wants to fight his hero (or something to that effect) before he retires, but fighting BJ at this point does nothing for anybody - especially for our good friends like dream and yaco who would've had to take out two mortgages just to see this shit. ;)

yacobod

Banned

well i think several factors come into play:

1. being a fan of a fighter
2. quality match-ups
3. championship fights i.e. crocop vs fedor (aka the greatest mma fight of all time)
4. bad blood i.e. crocop vs wand 2
5. ability to sell a story-line or generate heat
6. scrappiness
7. violence

it's a disturbing trend of shit fighters calling out legends on the downside of their career w/hopes of getting over to the unwashed masses. see brian stann calling out wanderlei silva for the most recent example, or matt hughes taking a dive for kos.

i think bj could give rory problems in the first round before he gasses. rory has shit standup and will be exposed once he faces someone with decent TDD that can throw leather.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The UFC told Kos to call out BJ and probably did the same with Rory. MacDonald doesn't strike me as the type to call someone out.

One also wonders why yaco and dream still plop down $60 for a product they don't like. I hope you don't guys don't think I'm being sarcastic when I say how shitty this thread is.

MjFrancis

I'd really like to see Strikeforce "rebranded" into a tournament model to challenge Bellator. The problem then is what to offer the winner: a belt or a UFC contract.
I've mentioned the entertainment value of adding a tournament model to the UFC, but doing so with Strikeforce sounds like a better deal. A little more realistic, too. If they could get away with PRIDE weight classes it would add depth to the tournament roster, too. I'm not sure that's feasible, but a man can dream.

DKehoe

it's a disturbing trend of shit fighters calling out legends on the downside of their career w/hopes of getting over to the unwashed masses. see brian stann calling out wanderlei silva for the most recent example, or matt hughes taking a dive for kos.

It beats "I will just fight whoever the UFC wants me to fight"

ShaneB

Shane friend, how is your diablo play through going?

Super duper. Didn't get to play much last week, but it's got my hooks in me again. Wizard is nearing the end of Nightmare, and then will run through Hell, or perhaps take a break and role a different class. It's a ton of fun, but so far I'm not liking the addition of the AH. But still, it's great to play multiplayer and see the chaos that ensues and just see stuff explode.

The problem is when a championship becomes static, and holds up the division. Carlos Condit is the perfect example. He's parked his car on the highway and everyone else can just honk their horns and wait. The lightweight division is in a similar situation, but hell, at least the champion is fighting somebody.

The tournament model is excellent at developing fighters and giving the viewer a chance to follow them and also provides a realistic scope of fighter rankings. The downsides are obvious: you either have to run constant tournaments to garner enough challengers for the title or have meaningless "super" fights where your hyped-up champion runs the risk of getting MPumbu'd. That and injuries and other fighter withdrawals can fuck with the programming.

If anything he should be calling Condit out. I understand he wants to fight his hero (or something to that effect) before he retires, but fighting BJ at this point does nothing for anybody - especially for our good friends like dream and yaco who would've had to take out two mortgages just to see this shit. ;)

All valid points, about the static champions, yeah, it's a catch 22. When you've got a dominant champion, it either shows how talented they are, or how weak the rest of the division is. When the titles change around constantly, the belts really have no meaning if the division has pretty stable parity.

Well I guess TUF is pretty much a feeder division tournament, so they certainly are happening, just not with consistancy. And even still, winning the tournaments/TUF don't seem to matter much if you put on a good fight and get back on a winning streak with another shot.

Rory just seems too nice to call anyone out, so that's puzzling to begin with, and then to callout someone like Penn where it makes no sense in terms of progress. Ah well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The UFC doesn't use TUF properly. Legit prospects with championship potential are sent straight to the Ultimate while TUF gets the also rans of the regional can circuit. Chris Weidman is the kind of prospect that TUF should be looking for instead of Chris Cope.

Heel

sien, when you spend $800/year watching ultimates on ppv like dream and i, you are entitled to complain about the sport/cards/product.

the bad-mma plebs living below the breadline watching low quality pirated streams have no room to talk.

It's worth noting that my good friend yacobod is not exaggerating; we both spent north of $800 on the Ultimate in the past year, which is very much like realizing you spent hundreds of dollars dining at McDonald's.

I know you're both capable of discussion beyond wallowing in agony over something you choose to pay for. Can we take it there, gentlemen?

TheNatural

My Member!
I know you're both capable of discussion beyond wallowing in agony over something you choose to don't pay for. Can we take it there, gentlemen?

Fixed.

iMhyi6eNSPICl.gif

Heel

because you beggars pirate the ultimate and deprive Uncle Dana and Zuffa of money to help build the brand and are indirectly responsible for its current mediocrity, don't project it on the good fans.

Yaco is right, if the UFC made more money from each show they'd stop saturating the brand by making more and more of them...I mean, why get greedy at that point?

ibwPE2KjdX19km.gif

yacobod

Banned
bad mma-gaf is destined for Sodom and Gomorrah brahs, your thievish and pirating ways are going to lead to the death of the golden age of ultimate zuffa and you'll be stuck with midgets fighting on tachi palace bull shit cards.

blame sien and the other bums sitting in frontrowsports and other crappy steams.

Heel

bad mma-gaf is destined for Sodom and Gomorrah brahs, your thievish and pirating ways are going to lead to the death of the golden age of ultimate zuffa and you'll be stuck with midgets fighting on tachi palace bull shit cards.

blame sien and the other bums sitting in frontrowsports and other crappy steams.

Yeah, because the problems with the UFC that you continue to complain about are due to lack of capital. More like the exact opposite. Who ya crappin'?

don't make me blow the whistle on this thread.

i'll bring the mods in to knock down this house of cards.

lol smh

I love how we get Maynard vs Guida the day before Silva vs Franklin. Instead of combining both cards to make a still poor but it'll do UFC, we get two shitty cards one after another.

yacobod

Banned
I love how we get Maynard vs Guida the day before Silva vs Franklin. Instead of combining both cards to make a still poor but it'll do UFC, we get two shitty cards one after another.

perhaps if the bad-mma street urchins bought some cards zuffa wouldn't have to nickle and dime us with bad cards.

MjFrancis

Between sitting six or so rows back at the UFC event in Seattle last March and the dozen plus PPV's I footed the bill for last year, it's very safe to say I went well over a grand in 2011 MMA purchases.

Not so much in 2012. I had a party for UFC 144 and the wife really wanted to watch 146 so I bought that at the last minute and watched it with her. There's no way I'll travel to watch an event and I'll only be buying two, maybe three more cards this year. And they will have to be stacked.

MjFrancis

The hate is getting ridiculous?

It was like a primal switch was flipped in every participant. The animosity was stronger than any video game console war I'd ever witnessed, and the relentless infighting and cannibalization of the MMA community was unleashed the moment the judge's decision was rendered.

yacobod

Banned
The hate is getting ridiculous?

It was like a primal switch was flipped in every participant. The animosity was stronger than any video game console war I'd ever witnessed, and the relentless infighting and cannibalization of the MMA community was unleashed the moment the judge's decision was rendered.

in case you forgot friend, most of these cellar-dwellers were championing conduit's shameful performance as being Muhammad Ali-esque in the wake of the fight. their hate for nick and cesar gracie bjj was so strong that they tried to convince others that conduit beat up nick. go read the official thread for proof

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460699&page=16

the conduit backlash didn't start until months after the fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The people hating on Conduit now were probably hating right after the decision.

Only thing I don't like is his decision not to defend the belt.

TheNatural

My Member!
in case you forgot friend, most of these cellar-dwellers were championing conduit's shameful performance as being Muhammad Ali-esque in the wake of the fight. their hate for nick and cesar gracie bjj was so strong that they tried to convince others that conduit beat up nick. go read the official thread for proof

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460699&page=16

the conduit backlash didn't start until months after the fight.

I don't understand why no one blames Nick for his one dimensional fighting style. Walk forward and slap, corner them up against the cage and punch, and if that doesn't work, talk shit like a trailer trash druggie to try to get them angry.

If all else fails, cry like a bitch after the fight you lost and say you're going to retire. If you thought the fight was crap, blame Nick for not learning how to box.

DKehoe

The people hating on Conduit now were probably hating right after the decision.

Only thing I don't like is his decision not to defend the belt.

The guy signed up to rematch Diaz, it would have gone ahead if Nick hadn't failed the drug test. I also can't really blame Condit too much for holding off for GSP. Whoever else he fought next would draw maybe 400k in buys. With GSP he would get 800k or upwards.

yacobod

Banned
The guy signed up to rematch Diaz, it would have gone ahead if Nick hadn't failed the drug test. I also can't really blame Condit too much for holding off for GSP. Whoever else he fought next would draw maybe 400k in buys. With GSP he would get 800k or upwards.

do you think conduit gets a ppv bonus? gsp will draw 800k. if conduit was headlining his own card he would do 200-300k buys.

Top Bottom