• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Can you tell me why the FX card is bad? It is free and there are four fights I'm excited for on the card.

For a FX card, it's not but why do we have that card AND a PPV that's not probably equal in quality (if even) to the FX one a day after? UFC scheduling as well as how they're handling the Fox merger seems really inept for the most part.

TheNatural

My Member!
For a FX card, it's not but why do we have that card AND a PPV that's not probably equal in quality (if even) to the FX one a day after? UFC scheduling as well as how they're handling the Fox merger seems really inept for the most part.

It's really to just market the PPV the next night basically. I don't think it's too horrible an idea for a big PPV actually, the problem is the weekly shows leading up to it with one relevant fight on a mediocre card.

If they're going to do this, why even waste the "good" fight - just put on a show of nobodies like Friday Night Fights does and save the main event to make a bigger card better? I think that's the main annoyance with people.

It's really to just market the PPV the next night basically. I don't think it's too horrible an idea for a big PPV actually, the problem is the weekly shows leading up to it with one relevant fight on a mediocre card.

If they're going to do this, why even waste the "good" fight - just put on a show of nobodies like Friday Night Fights does and save the main event to make a bigger card better? I think that's the main annoyance with people.
Pretty much

Part of me says when I think like this, "hey I'm just being the jaded cynic all people become as they get older and just have nostalgic love for the past."

Then I see with my eyes what things have become and can go back to the past to see what forms of entertainment once were, and see how much BETTER they were and it's not even close.

It's a problem when companies everywhere just seem to focus on integration, easier ways to watch, you can play your game while playing a game on your toilet while in the fridge type shit. That's great - but many people don't care because in the end it's just an alternative, not better. Same with all these "New" control methods. They're not control sticks or D-pads, they're not better, they're just different.

I guess life is probably great though if you're a shooter addict who likes C rate plots and interactive movies as a nice chunk of your "game."

Everyone else though, you're kinda fucked. Studios keep dying, sales keep dropping, publishers keep taking losses, so it can't just be nostalgia.

Lucky I got my cheapo Chinese PSX ripoff pad in, and emulators exist.

100%. I use my ps3 more to play PSone games than PS3 games. No it ain't nostalgia it's the content. New gen games are way too easy and practically play themselves.

Heel

TRT Rolls Gain Frank Mir, Lose Nate Marquardt and Confuse Us Even Further

The case of Mir is particularly baffling. Just over two years ago, putting on size and muscle was so easy for him, he joked that he could do it simply by "looking at" weights. While in July 2009, he weighed 245 pounds for his fight with Brock Lesnar, he publicly voiced a goal of adding size to his frame, and just six months later at an appearance in January 2010, noted he had woken up that morning at 284.

A 39-pound weight gain is massive for any professional athlete, let alone one active during the time of the gain. In December, just a month before saying he weighed 284, Mir beat Cheick Kongo at 264.5, and noted he had to cut a few pounds to make the divisional weight limit. And it wasn't just fat he was gaining, as photos from the weigh-ins at the time shows.

Something tells me Mike Chiappetta isn't actually baffled by this. Good man.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
TRT Rolls Gain Frank Mir, Lose Nate Marquardt and Confuse Us Even Further

Something tells me Mike Chiappetta isn't actually baffled by this. Good man.

Mur's a mess. Im pretty sure after Brock took his soul he had a significant emotional episode. Coupled with being in weird ranking limbo (always being a fight away from gatekeeper or contender status) he probably just succumbed and said fuck it. He's an intelligent dude so he had to have had that morning where he woke up and realized how shitty his stock is.

yacobod

Banned
Perhaps mma would be best served with monthly threads like our sports entertainment brothers. We need to escape siens bad mma era.

Heel

MMA-GAF is too far gone. We need to start over here.

You have my blessing, friend. Cleanse us of the filth that serpentined its way into our pure thread.

Perhaps mma would be best served with monthly threads like our sports entertainment brothers. We need to escape siens bad mma era.

BOKjM.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!

We ain't doing nothing. Heel's got the magic eye. I can feel it. Just had a little freak-out, that's all. We all been there. Now I say he's cool, and nobody's gonna hurt him.

Lets all talk about OneFC fellas. Here's the next card ...

Event: ONE FC 4: "Destiny of Warriors"
Date: June 23, 2012

Main Event:

205 lbs.: Renato Sobral vs. Tatsuya Mizuno

Other scheduled match-ups:

135 lbs.: Leandro Issa vs. Masakazu Imanari
170 lbs.: Gregor Gracie vs. Adam Kayoom
145 lbs.: Bae Young Kwon vs. Eric Kelly
155 lbs.: Brian Choi vs. Arnaud Lepont
170 lbs.: Roger Huerta vs. TBA
145 lbs.: Mitch Chilson vs. AJ Lias Mansor
170 lbs.: Marcos Escubar vs. Rodrigo Praxedes
155 lbs.: Kim Hock Quek vs. Pete Davis
125 lbs.: Roldan Sangcha-an vs. Allamurad Karayev

Also, lets enjoy this Sonnen quote:

"After I destroy Anderson Silva for the second time on July 7 at the MGM Grand and only on pay-per-view, no, I'm not gonna retire. There's too many guys I need to beat up. I have a moral obligation to get rid of some of the trash in this business and specifically in the company the UFC. I'm gonna stick around until I fulfill my obligation to society."

Lets appreciate the hotness of Arianny and Britney

j7q5GbPnkQdJm.jpg

And how about an article about one of the finest actors of all time ...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...ttom_5/Top_5__Bottom_5_Denzel_Washington/9565

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Seen Venus, couple of pairs of sun glasses did the trick...... should have used 3 but meh. Tiny little dot in-front of the sun.

You'll all be dead by the time it happens again. Me, I'll live for evaaaaaaaaaaa.

TheNatural

My Member!
Seen Venus, couple of pairs of sun glasses did the trick...... should have used 3 but meh. Tiny little dot in-front of the sun.

You'll all be dead by the time it happens again. Me, I'll live for evaaaaaaaaaaa.

I didn't bother seeing it or caring. I'll just wait until the next once in a lifetime sun thingie. To ignore it again.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Here's something I confess to have not thought about much. How do yall figure Vitor's chances would be against Bones?

Did Arianny grow a butt?
Why women wear high heels. Also goddamn that little cleft in her calf is so hot. I want to run my tongue all the way up her legs.

I miss stalking Britney.
I miss you posting pics of Britney.

Here's something I confess to have not thought about much. How do yall figure Vitor's chances would be against Bones?
Around the same, maybe slightly better than Hendo's?

TheNatural

My Member!
Why women wear high heels. Also goddamn that little cleft in her calf is so hot. I want to run my tongue all the way up her legs.

I miss you posting pics of Britney.

Around the same, maybe slightly better than Hendo's?

Don't be a twitter/nude picture commenter weirdo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Jeez...that isnt even funny..it just makes me sad. You wanna look for the blurred line between sports entertainment and mma? Look no further than Sapp.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL the first part got goofy, the second part starting this a good point though. He should have had someone edit this a little better.

TheNatural

My Member!
Round 2, so nuanced, so deep. This is the best MMA cinema since The Smashing Machine.

The last part is great, especially his "call to arms."

He has a point, but he doesn't seem to hit it on the head exactly with all his Sapp wackiness. Plus, Ariel saying "its a mockery of the sport" or whatever and then saying "who cares about these small promotions" is kind of hypocritical.

Sapp knows whats up - why risk turning into a vegetable like Goodridge for basically no money, or like good ole Japanese BadMMA, promoters who flat out fuck the fighters over and don't pay him anything.

That's all he's saying, he's not going to put in a full effort based on little pay.

Would rather finally see Vitor vs Rampage. This potential fight is never talked about among fans and given where they are in their respective careers would make sense along with Wand vs Tito 2.

TheNatural

My Member!
Would rather finally see Vitor vs Rampage. This potential fight is never talked about among fans and given where they are in their respective careers would make sense along with Wand vs Tito 2.

Probably because Rampage looks like he couldn't give a fuck less about MMA nowadays, I would be surprised if he even finished his UFC deal.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Wand tito 2 would be semi interesting considering tito's new found willingness to engage standing but he'd def play it safe. I wouldnt mind page vitor though..

Heel

Why all of this talk about Victor Gracie at 205?

I agree with all of the "what if" match ups of yesteryear. Let's not kid ourselves, most of these guys aren't making another title run. They should make the most of it while they're still around.

I agree with all of the "what if" match ups of yesteryear. Let's not kid ourselves, most of these guys aren't making another title run. They should make the most of it while they're still around.

Yea we need as many legacy legend fights as we can get. Page, Tito, Wand and most likely Little Nog will never be contenders again. Though Ill still give Vitor the benefit of the doubt, but most fighters past 33 ain't seeing seeing a title shot.

I don't like this match up with Rory. It does absolutely nothing for BJ. All it will do is put Rory over a past prime fat BJ that will be rusty as fuck. BJ should have fought Kos because they are at the same point in their careers and will never see dat title as long as GSP holds it, plus it's a big fight.

Give Rory Hendricks, Fitch or Kampman.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Cause unlike most inconsistent fighters Viktor has retained what made him dangerous in the first place. Are we getting the thread back on track or what?

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't mind seeing veterans past their prime fight each other, but then we all wonder "who the fuck is this guy" when seeing two guys try to stake their claim to climb to the top of the division. Just like Wrasslin, gotta either put the younger guys over, or bury them if they don't have what it takes.

Could Munoz for example, handle Vitor?

Well you gotta wonder if Anderson wasn't champ than would Vitor have the division on lock? He is clearly past his prime but "can" still easily finish anyone...hell i would like to see him back at 205 personally. He was way more vicious at that weight but that "can" also be because of his youth.

Heel

Cause unlike most inconsistent fighters Viktor has retained what made him dangerous in the first place. Are we getting the thread back on track or what?

Nah just saying, he's a 185 lb. fighter now unless something has changed. I wouldn't mind seeing it down the road, though.

I don't mind seeing veterans past their prime fight each other, but then we all wonder "who the fuck is this guy" when seeing two guys try to stake their claim to climb to the top of the division. Just like Wrasslin, gotta either put the younger guys over, or bury them if they don't have what it takes.

Could Munoz for example, handle Vitor?

I agree that the old guard fighting up-and-comers is a part of the game. BJ vs. Rory is a perfect example of that. Guys like Shogun should learn how to play ball.

Munoz vs. Victor would be interesting. Munoz would be wise to rely on his GNP. He hits hard, but Victor hits hard fast. Speed kills and that'd be a dangerous game to play.

Top Bottom