• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom carrying baby without brain to term to donate the organs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

CNN said:
When Keri Young found out her unborn child didn't have a brain, she made an unthinkably selfless decision. She decided to carry Eva to term to donate the organs to other babies in need.

Young's wrenching story broke hearts when her husband Royce Young, a writer for ESPN, posted an emotional letter praising her brave decision.

"It would just be irresponsible to take the gifts that Eva has and not share them with others," Royce Young told CNN about his wife's decision.

The Youngs found out Eva didn't have a brain at the 19-week ultrasound.

"Somehow through full body ugly crying, Keri looked up and asked, 'If I carry her full term, can we donate her organs?'" Royce Young wrote in his post.

I couldn't imagine doing this. Total selflessness.

Seik

Banned
This will be a heart crushing experience for her, although she will save lives of other babies by doing this, incredibly generous of her.

Insanely mad respect for this woman.

This scenario was a major plot point in the TV series Private Practice. It was hard enough to imagine happening to a TV show character. This lady is a hero.

This is one of the mostly selfless acts I think I heard of in some time. I can't even imagine the strength it that it takes to do this.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Very noble. Extra recognition for the idea coming naturally enough to her that she thought of it while they were still in the office. As the husband, I would have been surprised and proud.

I thought back to the moment where we found out Eva wasn't perfect, and how literally 30 seconds after our doctor told us our baby doesn't have a brain, somehow through full body ugly crying, Keri looked up and asked, "If I carry her full term, can we donate her organs?"

God I can't even imagine.

People talk selflessness and altruism, the heights humanity can reach.

This is up there. Pure selflessness.

I am confused, if the baby doesn't have a brain how is it surviving inside the mother.
It survives by the umbilical cord. Most scenarios do not play out like this though. It's a strange and rare case of being able to do an actual live organ donation. Most times, they're only able to donate to research.

I don't find her any more commendable than any other woman getting a poor prenatal diagnosis, whether they choose to carry to term or terminate.

mjc

Christ.

My daughter was just born earlier this month and I can't fathom the pain these parents are going through. Incredible people.

It survives by the umbilical cord. Most scenarios do not play out like this though. It's a strange and rare case of being able to do an actual live organ donation. Most times, they're only able to donate to research.

I don't find her any more commendable than any other woman getting a poor prenatal diagnosis, whether they choose to carry to term or terminate.

What the fuck?

Raven117

#edgelord.

I believe this women is incredibly selfless to carry a fetus to term for the benefit of others.

HeySeuss

You don't see how a mother, knowing her child will never have a chance of living after birth, carrying that child to term isn't a remarkably selfless act that should be commended? A mother that has a miscarriage or still birth can be emotionally traumatized but knowing full well that the child growing inside you is growing for no other reason than to save the life of another has to be on another level.

You can't be serious that you don't find it any more commendable than any other poor diagnosis. And if you really believe that, you should probably see a professional psychiatrist because that's sociopathic or some kind of lack of empathy that isn't normal for a human.

And I say this as a pro-choice person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom