• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom carrying baby without brain to term to donate the organs

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This woman deserves a medal.
She took a risk to her own her own health to save the babies of people she didn't know.

I hope she's doing well emotionally.

Um, this heart-wrenching piece written by her husband tells me that the baby died in the womb before she reached the point to where the organs were viable, even for research, and that only the baby's eyes were donated for transplant.

Sorry to crush the mood. This article is absolutely devastating, the photos alone are gut-wrenching.

https://medium.com/@royceyoung/we-s...ng-for-the-death-of-our-daughter-79f357dd254d

The good news, though, to go along with the full double eye donation, is that a protocol, named the Eva Protocol, was developed on how to handle cases like this since none existed before and many more people are aware of organ donation.

LionPride

Banned
I remember first seeing this on the NBA subreddit because it was related to Royce Young, that article he just wrote...Jesus man

At least Eva's eyes were donated, but fuck that article is just GAH

Trey

Not many things make me feel such a range of emotions as this story does. I still don't know exactly what to make of it, but good on the Young family to share their experience. That took courage.

Um, this heart-wrenching piece written by her husband tells me that the baby died in the womb before she reached the point to where the organs were viable, even for research, and that only the baby's eyes were donated for transplant.

Sorry to crush the mood. This article is absolutely devastating, the photos alone are gut-wrenching.

https://medium.com/@royceyoung/we-s...ng-for-the-death-of-our-daughter-79f357dd254d

The good news, though, to go along with the full double eye donation, is that a protocol, named the Eva Protocol, was developed on how to handle cases like this since none existed before and many more people are aware of organ donation.
Yeah. They were devastated when they found out they couldn't donate the organs because the heart had given out. I really suggest everyone read this article, but if you don't take the time...here is their reaction, after all hope was lost of Eva Grace being able to donate any organs, that they were told they had a possible recipient for her eyes. I absolutely love this last line about Eva.

1_zpsp7iw8hpj.jpeg

It's a weird thing to say that in probably the worst experience of my life was also maybe the best moment of my life, but I think it was the best moment of my life. The timing of it all is just something I can't explain. It wasn't what we planned or hoped for, but it was everything we needed in that moment. I buried my head in my arms and sobbed harder than I ever have. Keri put her hands over her face and did the same. Happy tears.

A few feet away the nurses finished cleaning Eva up and wrapped her, putting the hat Keri had knitted on her head. As they handed her to us for the first time, much of the dread and fear was lifted off us, and replaced with some hope and joy again. Here comes Eva Grace Young, the superhero she was always meant to be.

Whaaaaat? The article I saw showed her holding the baby, talked about her decision and how the donations would help others! They even had posts from her saying how people shouldn't be sad because of the good that came out of it. What the heck? I never would have posted an update otherwise. I'm sorry, guys. That's not at all what I read or the impression I got. The title was even something like "Parents who carried baby without brain to term say goodbye."

Would be great if there were a way to pay for some sort of service that generates brain-less clones carried by hired women (preferably in an artificial womb but I'm not sure that's possible yet)
Harvest the organs/tissue whenever needed (after that clone grew enough, so you have to invest 1-2 decades beforehand).

Feasible with our tech since several years, getting perfect organ transplant before we advanced science enough for self-regeneration/growing individual organs etc.
Ethically not a problem apart from making you feel queasy.
Just very pricy. But maybe you can allow to make multiple copies for scientific purposes and get a cheaper rate while advancing science.

Edit: well that makes it sound too easy. You would need to keep some lower level brain parts so ensure the bodies get the necessary signals including hormone secretion.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I sure as hell would.

Btw, I actually did say it to a woman who had a child with anencephaly, who thought she was a special snowflake for CTT rather than tx her pregnancy.

I like to reserve this for those circumstances when no other word will do:

You're a special kind of cunt. I only hope karma doesn't bite you in the ass on this one.

SHEF

I sure as hell would.

Btw, I actually did say it to a woman who had a child with anencephaly, who thought she was a special snowflake for CTT rather than tx her pregnancy.

That is sickening. Because of your own experience I would expect you to have more empathy than most for these women.

If you really did what you claim, that is pure hatred and a despicable thing to do out of spite.

You have no moral fibre either, that is just mental gymnastics. Seek professional help.

I sure as hell would.

You really dropped a steamer here. Are you sure you're not working on a GOP health plan with this attitude?

How can you be so callous.

Would be great if there were a way to pay for some sort of service that generates brain-less clones carried by hired women (preferably in an artificial womb but I'm not sure that's possible yet)
Harvest the organs/tissue whenever needed (after that clone grew enough, so you have to invest 1-2 decades beforehand).

Feasible with our tech since several years, getting perfect organ transplant before we advanced science enough for self-regeneration/growing individual organs etc.
Ethically not a problem apart from making you feel queasy.
Just very pricy. But maybe you can allow to make multiple copies for scientific purposes and get a cheaper rate while advancing science.

Edit: well that makes it sound too easy. You would need to keep some lower level brain parts so ensure the bodies get the necessary signals including hormone secretion.

Well, there was just the breakthrough of that baby lamb sack that sort works as an outside 'womb', so maybe there's future application there, but I think people would have more qualms than just being 'queasy' at the idea.

Anyway, though the outcome was not as I was led to believe (though apparently of some help to another baby with the eye donation?), and I do apologize for bumping this with only a cursory look at what I thought was a positive article on it, it remains an extremely moving and thought provoking act. I think that we should move past quoting old posts unless Eye for an Eye wants to come back and discuss her position further, though.

8byte

Banned
You all are treating her as a hero. She's not a hero. She's a woman with a choice and that's it. Her path isn't any more or less difficult to overcome than any one else's.

Way to really make this about you and other people instead of someone doing a good deed. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom