• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom carrying baby without brain to term to donate the organs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that make the point of this whole story moot?
Well, the point of the story was the sentiment, that everyone else in the thread seemed to have got. No one ever mentioned feasibility until you did.

Other points:
1. Just because it's not standard of care, does not mean the mother should be discouraged against carrying the pregnancy to term for donation if that's what she wants. The UK Academy of Medical Royal Colleges explicitly allows for that.

2. Why do you see failure to succeed (in donating) as failing to be heroic? That's ironic in the field of medicine since the only time I have ever heard doctors use the term "heroic" is when they're describing CPR in laymen terms to families, i.e., "heroic measures." CPR in inpatients almost never succeed.

Mechazawa

What drives a person to use a harrowing personal experience for the purpose of ammo in a semantical internet argument over what constitutes a "hero"?

Eye, I really don't understand why you are taking such outrageous offensive to other people finding her actions admirable. The only conclusion I can come to is that you still have a ton of issues about your own losses, in which case you really should see someone. No one is hurting you by finding this woman admirable, I promise. It had nothing to do with you at all, actually.
But they were awfully quick to put me down because I took a different stance on the situation. This is all I said, and all I have ever said. Everyone keeps trying to come at it from different angles trying to get me to change my opinion.
I don't find her any more commendable than any other woman getting a poor prenatal diagnosis, whether they choose to carry to term or terminate.

I don't have issues with my choice to tx two pregnancies. I did it once, I did it twice, and I would do it again if I had to. If anything, it's probably the one thing I've ever had the most peace when making a decision.

These stories get put on high pedestals as if every woman should achieve it. Just because you only come across these stories in passing doesn't mean other people don't pick them up and carry them on for their own agenda.

She could carry to term. She could terminate. She could donate to research in either scenerio. She's a woman with very few choices left, but no choice is greater than a different choice.

Zen Aku

At this point people just want you to stop shitting up the thread. It's supposed to be a bitter sweet/feels good thread. But you just made it bitter. No one here is making you change your mind, if you disagree that this mother shouldn't be put on a pedestal, then okay.

Fine, whatever. Opinion and all that. Meanwhile we'll keep thinking she's a hero.

fanboi

Banned
But they were awfully quick to put me down because I took a different stance on the situation. This is all I said, and all I have ever said. Everyone keeps trying to come at it from different angles trying to get me to change my opinion.

I don't have issues with my choice to tx two pregnancies. I did it once, I did it twice, and I would do it again if I had to. If anything, it's probably the one thing I've ever had the most peace when making a decision.

These stories get put on high pedestals as if every woman should achieve it. Just because you only come across these stories in passing doesn't mean other people don't pick them up and carry them on for their own agenda.

She could carry to term. She could terminate. She could donate to research in either scenerio. She's a woman with very few choices left, but no choice is greater than a different choice.

What? No one in this thread has said that, opposite actually.

Would I do it if it was me? No, I would terminate and have it removed as soon as possible.
This woman chose to do it and those actions are extremly selfless.

Heartbreaking and heartwarming. Any mother to be (and partner) getting a poor parental diagnosis has to be brave, no matter the decision she comes to. In this case, I'm glad Eva has a chance live on and enrich the lives of families who could otherwise face the grief of losing an infant. Sending positive vibes in the couples direction <3

prag16

Banned

The lady doth protest too much. Your posts in this topic imply otherwise. You seem to want so badly to be "right" or "validated" in your personal decisions that you feel the need to shit on people who see a different decision as admirable for various reasons. That's unfortunate.

Absolutely nobody here is shitting on your decisions. Not one person. What's being shat on is your piss poor attitude with regard to the story in the OP.

Clearly you DO have issues. Either that or you are such a pro-abortion zealot that you are construeing praise in this topic as pro life stances, while in fact nobody in this topic has taken a position on the issue.

I'm not sure if you have demons you've yet to move on from, or if got have severe empathy problems. But either way talking to somebody might be helpful.

Memory

Tragic, a commendable act, its crazy that her first thoughts were how can I save other lives.

I do hope she gets lots of emotional support during and after the pregnancy.

Who is saying every woman should do it? You're projecting a great deal.

Josh7289

The lady doth protest too much. Your posts in this topic imply otherwise. You seem to want so badly to be "right" or "validated" in your personal decisions that you feel the need to shit on people who see a different decision as admirable for various reasons. That's unfortunate.

Absolutely nobody here is shitting on your decisions. Not one person. What's being shat on is your piss poor attitude with regard to the story in the OP.

Clearly you DO have issues. Either that or you are such a pro-abortion zealot that you are construeing praise in this topic as pro life stances, while in fact nobody in this topic has taken a position on the issue.

I'm not sure if you have demons you've yet to move on from, or if got have severe empathy problems. But either way talking to somebody might be helpful.

This is how I'm reading her posts too.

I hope you find your peace, Eye for an Eye.

Anjelus_

This post here is pretty spot on. Other poster is projecting all over the place.

Oh, you're basically saying that since she could donate in either scenario, neither choice is greater than the other. Is that accurate? Not sure I can agree because one choice involves greater personal inconvenience in order to target a particular population that would benefit from the donation if carried to term. That choice would be greater in my mind. Is there a different way to see it?

Yeah, it's called the loss of a child/pregnancy. Yeah, it's fucking hard to go through. One situation isn't any better or easier to deal with, they both fucking suck. Is the death of a child from cancer any worse than the death of child from SIDS? Is the loss of a child who happens to be a soldier anymore difficult to a mother who loses her child from suicide? Is the soldier's mother suppose to be less sad because she gets a pat on the back and the comforting words of "your child is a hero"???

A loss is a loss. But I do not agree she is a hero to the world for carry the pregnancy. While she may have the intentions of donating the organs, it may or may not be medically viable option.

Well it's a great thing then that heroism is quite subjective then. OK you feel she is not, why are you so defensive when others feel differently?

Saw an update on this today randomly. The baby made it to term, was delivered, and the organs were donated. I can't even imagine. Very, very sad, but there's a future for other kids now, so there's something positive about it all.

Saw an update on this today randomly. The baby made it to term, was delivered, and the organs were donated. I can't even imagine. Very, very sad, but there's a future for other kids now, so there's something positive about it all.

I just had a rough thought. Being the doctor that has to take the organs, you know the baby can't live and you know it will help others but you still have to take organs from that baby. Ugh.

zoukka

It survives by the umbilical cord. Most scenarios do not play out like this though. It's a strange and rare case of being able to do an actual live organ donation. Most times, they're only able to donate to research.

I don't find her any more commendable than any other woman getting a poor prenatal diagnosis, whether they choose to carry to term or terminate.

Fucking angst nerd.

Incredibly heroic. It blows my mind that a baby can even survive and come to term without a fucking brain? I'm sure it's been asked already but how the fuck does that even work?

Cool, I was really skeptical she would make it full terms but that's really great news for some other families in dire need.

Incredibly heroic. It blows my mind that a baby can even survive and come to term without a fucking brain? I'm sure it's been asked already but how the fuck does that even work?

Well the reason the baby wouldn't make it would likely be a severe abnormality that put it at risk in utero. In order to just be alive outside the womb you really only need the brain stem for breathing purposes and the fetus does not even need to do that in the womb

ohlawd

happy to hear that she made it full term. no doubt she has given life to other babies for this selfless act.

sad as hell this even happened. I hope she tries again. she has a young son too so yeah I hope next time will be ok for her.

Keri

It's really amazing they made it to term and were able to carry out their plan. I'm still in complete awe of this woman, for her strength and selflessness. I hope that she and her family can start healing from their loss now, comforted by how much they (the mom and baby) were able to help others.

GhaleonEB

In the midst of utter shock and grief, she decided to make an enormous personal sacrifice to try and help other babies. Incredible human being with tremendous heart.
I'm so glad this was the bump. I was scrolling toward it worried it was going to end tragically somehow. What a bittersweet story. The mother is a hero.

LordKasual

Banned
edit: This is a phantom bump? nevermind.

does anyone know if newborns typically recieve transplants like this, or do they like...cultivate the organs? Grow them for older children?

I'm glad the delivery made it to term with usable organs at least. I remember some were worried that the circumstances would mean it could turn out with no usable results.

I hope the couple is able to heal as best as they can from this.

I just had a rough thought. Being the doctor that has to take the organs, you know the baby can't live and you know it will help others but you still have to take organs from that baby. Ugh.

I think the docs just see it as 'life' in general. Like, every little bit they're able to get means hope for someone else. It'd be too painful to see it otherwise, I think. Especially doing this kind of thing every day.

Cool, I was really skeptical she would make it full terms but that's really great news for some other families in dire need.

Yeah, it's supposed to be pretty unusual, from what I remember of the earlier part of the thread. It's incredible news for parents who probably didn't expect any for their own children.

It's really amazing they made it to term and were able to carry out their plan. I'm still in complete awe of this woman, for her strength and selflessness. I hope that she and her family can start healing from their loss now, comforted by how much they (the mom and baby) were able to help others.

It must be the most horrible combination of emotions. But, in the end it makes a loss a win, so I think finding peace for her own loss will be somewhat eased in the end. I hope anyway. I don't know if I could do such a thing.

In the midst of utter shock and grief, she decided to make an enormous personal sacrifice to try and help other babies. Incredible human being with tremendous heart.

I'm so glad this was the bump. I was scrolling toward it worried it was going to end tragically somehow. What a bittersweet story. The mother is a hero.

Don't worry. If it had said otherwise I would not have touched this thread with a ten foot pole. I don't think we need more tears on a Friday.

edit: This is a phantom bump? nevermind.

does anyone know if newborns typically recieve transplants like this, or do they like...cultivate the organs? Grow them for older children?

Newborns do get transplants, but I would guess your chances of finding a viable donor are very, very low. That's why this is such a big deal. I'm not sure on the 'growing' organs thing... *_*

Good. Very very good. This is amazing. I'm so glad that everything worked out in the end. I still can't imagine the pain and misery they must have felt in the beginning. But I praise them for making this decision in their moment of grief.

Dang this hurts. But at the end it will be a great benefit for the babies out there who need organs.

mjc

Jesus, she's a hero. I can't even fathom the amount of pain she's going through just on a mental level. That takes resolve and bravery.

I have very strong feelings about pregnancies and how they are completely selfish acts on behalf of the parents, but this act restores some of my faith in humanity.

Excellent news :D Thank you for this bit of good news today, even if it's bittersweet as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom