• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom goes off on store clerk who made racist comment to her kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

Being respectful and polite will get you to a lot of places. If she would of tried to figure out what happened, talked to the manager in a calmed and respectful manner, then she could of accomplished more. Thats all I'm going to say. There's no excuse for this behavior in a civilized world. I'm done here.
Yeah. You are.

Being respectful and polite will get you to a lot of places. If she would of tried to figure out what happened, talked to the manager in a calmed and respectful manner, then she could of accomplished more. Thats all I'm going to say. There's no excuse for this behavior in a civilized world. I'm done here.

You're full of shit. Not gonna be respectful to someone disrespecting my culture and my children. What fucked up worldview do you have where that's your takeaway from the entire situation?

"Next time just be fake-nice and submissive and polite!"

Fuck your respectability politics.

Let someone say some sideways shit to your child and disrespect your culture and tell us how polite you are when you handle it.

You're full of shit. Not gonna be respectful to someone disrespecting my culture and my children. What fucked up worldview do you have where that's your takeaway from the entire situation?

"Next time just be fake-nice and submissive and polite!"

Fuck your respectability politics.

Let someone say some sideways shit to your child and disrespect your culture and tell us how polite you are when you handle it.

You prove my point. You love fueling the fire don't you? You don't know shit about being discriminated. I'm a minority and I would of never handled something like she did.

This could of easily been solved in a RESPECTFUL manner.
Did MLK stormed into the White House using profanity?
And he accomplished a lot.

Frodo

Freaking Sandra got her ass handled back to her.

R.I.P. in piece, Sandra.

jJdcdav.gif

You prove my point. You love fueling the fire don't you? You don't know shit about being discriminated. I'm a minority and I would of never handled something like this.

You don't have a point.

It's the old "talking about racism is the real racism"?

I love when people invoke MLK to indicate how people should respond in everyday situations. Someone like you who's takeaway is the mother should be more humble in handling the situation would have hated MLK's guts when he was alive.

Once again, and with feeling: Fuck your respectability politics.

rj-fuckyocouch.gif~c200

Please lecture me about not know shit about being discriminated against and racism. Pretty please. 🙏🏾

Nepenthe

MLK got mythologized into some Jesus figure for people to wag their fingers at black people for not kissing people's asses when wronged, had most of his anger at white people, class-based social messages, radical nature, and prison time forgotten, had signature pieces of the landmark legislation inspired by his actions completely gutted a few years ago, and, oh yeah, he was actually murdered.

Because of attitudes like yours, MLK has been fucked over in body and spirit. So don't invoke his name like it's some Yu-Gi-Oh trap card.

Ivan 3414

You prove my point. You love fueling the fire don't you? You don't know shit about being discriminated. I'm a minority and I would of never handled something like she did.

You're done here.

Frodo

MLK got mythologized into some Jesus figure for people to wag their fingers at black people for not kissing people's asses when wronged, had most of his anger at white people, class-based social messages, radical nature, and prison time forgotten, had signature pieces of the landmark legislation inspired by his actions completely gutted a few years ago, and, oh yeah, he was actually murdered.

Because of attitudes like yours, MLK has been fucked over in body and spirit. So don't invoke his name like it's some Yu-Gi-Oh trap card.

Daaaaaaaamn....

R.I.P. in piece, Super_Cobra

jJdcdav.gif

deli2000

MLK got shot in the head.

How exactly being respectful to others being a kissass? Are you serious? Jesus Christ people.
Yes MLK didn't use violence nor profanity to unite people. He was a great man.
I'm out! Have a great day guys :).

Spacebar

It's really sad to see so much anger in this forum. So little understanding and compassion for one another. It seems like these days it more about proving who is right more so than resolving an issue. Both parties in the video walked away with more hatred for each other. Now the hatred spreads because the video has gone viral.

It's really sad to see so much anger in this forum. So little understanding and compassion for one another. It seems like these days it more about proving who is right more so than resolving an issue. Both parties in the video walked away with more hatred for each other. Now the hatred spreads because the video has gone viral.

Yeah, if only both sides could come to the table and come to a real understanding about racism.

Nepenthe

How exactly being respectful to others and being a kissass? Are you serious? Jesus Christ people.
Yes MLK didn't use violence nor profanity to unite people. He was a great man.

Black people are not here to just take shit from anyone and everyone and then respond by being the bigger person all the time. We are not your punching bag. We are not your inferiors. We are not children to be scolded for resisting our oppression. And we certainly are not infinite wells of patience and kindness. If you say shit to us, you need to be prepared for that fire to come back your way.

So again, keep the good King's name out of your filthy mouth. And take that fucking passive aggressive edit with you.

Jacobi

Banned
One, a woman of her age probably doesn't watch anime.

Two, if she did, she wouldn't ask about Halloween in September from that context because it makes even less sense.

Three, if we're still under the impression that she watches anime, she probably wouldn't ask about it from that context because it doesn't look like typical anime fashion design because they aren't making respectful cartoons about Africans.

Four, it's been explained extensively in this thread why what she said was offensive from a racial point of view.

Five, do you not see the irony of the question in relation to a thread where the kids were offended for being joked about as being in custome?
One, it's pretty hard to not know Anime anymore

Two, September (like November) is the nearest month to October

Three, eh there are all kinds of fashion design and she's a clerk, not a fashion expert

Four, I'd say it's mildly offensive at the most. It's pretty much non-news

Five, would you make a big deal of it if they weren't black but in Lederhosen or other ethnic clothes?

All I got from this is the confirmation that being a clerk is a horrible job. I think the clerk just tried to make a joke, that's all.

outsida

Black people are not here to just take shit from anyone and everyone and then respond by being the bigger person all the time. We are not your punching bag. We are not your inferiors. We are not children to be scolded for resisting our oppression. And we certainly are not infinite wells of patience and kindness. If you say shit to us, you need to be prepared for that fire to come back your way.

So again, keep the good King's name out of your filthy mouth. And take that fucking passive aggressive edit with you.

Straight like that...

GET EM.

Preach.

Nepenthe

One, it's pretty hard to not know Anime anymore

Knowing about =/= actively watching.

Two September (like November) is the nearest month to October

No one costumes for Halloween in September so it doesn't matter. Also, anime has nothing to do with Halloween. Nor does it have anything to do with the situation.

Three, eh there are all kinds of fashion design and she's a clerk, not a fashion expert

You don't need to be a fashion expert to not be an asshole to people wearing uncommon street wear. You simply ask people directly what they're wearing and if it's a special occasion. This isn't rocket science.

Four, I'd say it's mildly offensive at the most. It's pretty much non-news

Good on you for telling the children how to feel.

Five, would you make a big deal of it if they weren't black but in Lederhosen or other ethnic clothes?

Yes because it's an asshole thing to do.

All I got from this is the confirmation that being a clerk is a horrible job. I think the clerk just tried to make a joke, that's all.

It's good that you think jokes cannot be racist or otherwise harmful.

If only both people didn't say snide bigoted shit to each other's kids this could have all been avoided!

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Truth. Whole thing should have ended after the apology was given.

To be fair, you at least deserve to be disliked by someone when you insult their culture.

Sometimes people just deserve to be called out for being a dick.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
As far as I'm concerned, mom did the right thing. Say racist shit and you will be called out for it. It's not rocket science. Don't wanna get cussed out? Bite your fucking tongue.

Some of y'all are acting like the mom goddamn German suplexed this woman, Jesus Christ.

Goalposts always move. Riots are bad. Yelling is bad. Quietly sitting is bad.

In ten years Black people will only allowed to express dissatisfaction with passive aggressive bigots and systemic racism via emojis.

She maybe yells once or twice, otherwise people really are exaggerating. Wonder why... 🙄

You know what it is 😂.

PixelatedBookake

Also this. Very well said man!

You cannot possibly be serious with this shit

Edit:eek:h I see your dead serious with this shit

When you're the type of person that gets more aggravated by hearing Blacks complain about injustice and disrespect than actual injustice and disrespect it's very easy to come to this conclusion.

Being a racist oneself also helps move this along.

When you're the type of person that gets more aggravated by hearing Blacks complain about injustice and disrespect than actual injustice and disrespect it's very easy to come to this conclusion.

Being a racist oneself also helps move this along.
Hence why that thread about black people being tired of trying to talk to white people about racism was so on point

Nepenthe

Reminds me of that Chris Rock skit about schools love preaching using MLK's non-violence example in everything.

http://youtu.be/b-opn0LzBR8?t=40m53s

I get the impression schools trying to brainwash.

There's definitely been a concerted effort on part of the historical and political gatekeepers to sweep the reality and nuance of racism towards blacks under the rug, as well as the responsibility this country has to us to make things right ever since Reconstruction failed. Therefore, people tend to argue with black people from a very sanitized and glossed-over historical context on top of the universal ignorance that results from simply not being significantly immersed in any culture outside of your own.

So what you inevitably get are people shocked when black women finally stand up for themselves and their loved ones (the fear from ignorance) are that they invoke the fictionalized version of MLK to try and calm them down and remind them "how they should act" (the result of revisionist indoctrination). It's a pitiful state of affairs.

Hence why that thread about black people being tired of trying to talk to white people about racism was so on point

I'm exhausted my self and the hatred and nastiness we get. Just for existing. Then when you try to explain you get dismissed and folks want to tell you because you have a job and a car that you must not know shit about racism.

I'm waiting for my all time favorite of: "It's better here than in Africa"

G7lPHVm.jpg

I'm exhausted my self and the hatred and nastiness we get. Just for existing. Then when you try to explain you get dismissed and folks want to tell you because you have a job and a car that you must not know shit about racism.

I'm waiting for my all time favorite of: "It's better here than in Africa"

I've been wanting to say this for awhile, and this seems like as good a time as any: thank you. I learn so much from you and so many of the POC who post here.

Grug

Yeah it seems like you have to nail your flag to a mast at one extreme position or the other... no room for nuance.

If I am being screamed and sworn at... I'm going to be panicking and going into flight or fight mode. I am not going to be able to learn shit in that situation.

I'm not saying for a second that the mother's anger wasn't justified. I can't imagine the shit she has put up with in her life. But can we not run people out of town for suggesting that a calmer, middle way approach may have yielded a better outcome?

Spacebar

If only both people didn't say snide bigoted shit to each other's kids this could have all been avoided!

I understand you're angry and I would like to understand why. Maybe you have some personal experiences to share that could educate myself and others as to why you feel so strongly about this topic. If you don't feel comfortable posting in the thread please pm me and I'll do my best to read and understand.

Yeah it seems like you have to nail your flag to a mast at one extreme position or the other... no room for nuance.

If I am being screamed and sworn at... I'm going to be panicking and going into flight or fight mode. I am not going to be able to learn shit in that situation.

I'm not saying for a second that the mother's anger wasn't justified. I can't imagine the shit she has put up with in her life. But can we not run people out of town for suggesting that a calmer, middle way approach may have yielded a better outcome?

What part of "it's not our job to be a teacher" don't you get?

The issue isn't the suggestion of calm itself. It's the dismissive nature and (ill flat out say it) disingenuous nature of the suggestion.

What many really mean is "It wasn't racist or bigoted this last should stfu."

Fuck that.

I understand you're angry and I would like to understand why. Maybe you have some personal experiences to share that could educate myself and others as to why you feel so strongly about this topic. If you don't feel comfortable posting in the thread please pm me and I'll do my best to read and understand.

I'm not your professor. There are 1000 threads where myself and others have attempted to explain this. Go hit up that search button. The info is all around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom