• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Strike breaks Puzzle & Dragons' hold as top earning Japanese mobile game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's doing this often enough that I felt it was worth mentioning. Monster Strike will be releasing in the West soon.

Here are how the two games have ranked over the past year:

monsterstrikefpqxx.png

pndwkohh.png

As for what Monster Strike is, for those who don't know, it's a game about flinging monsters into other monsters: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/monsutasutoraiku/

You can also play it in four player co-op.

Syril

Is this another one where the best strategy is to replay the beginning over and over until you get a rare monster from the initial free gachpon thing?

Meier

250px-511Pansage.png

Pansage, is that you? Totally looks like a Bulbasaur in the portraits at the bottom of the same image.

For those who have played it, is the game fun?

john tv

(Disclaimer: I worked on the US version, so if you don't know me/trust me, feel free to disregard this post.) :)

For the rest of you...this is the first game of its kind (the Japanese F2P gacha kind) to really sink its hooks into me. Way more than Puzzle & Dragons ever did (which I also like, but not nearly as much as MS). I've probably played over 200 hours of the Japanese version over the past 6 months. There are two main reasons for it, I think: 1) it's an action game with simple controls (but complex physics), and 2) it's got four-player online co-op. It's a fun game to play alone, but playing with others really takes it to another level -- it's only once I started playing co-op that I started getting crazy into the game. You only use stamina if you're the host; if you run out of stamina, you can still join other players' games whenever you want, which basically means you can keep playing forever if you have friends to play with. Plus they give you Orbs (this game's currency - your Magic Stones, if you will) like it's nobody's business. The first 10 players you play co-op with, you get 5 Orbs a piece (!), and then you get another one per person for the next 90 players. Plus they give you 5 Orbs (plus some other stuff) for every new player you invite to the game who completes the Tutorial for up to 100 (I think?) players. It's kinda ridiculous.

BTW, the main game designer is Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter, Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Zelda: Oracles, etc. etc.).

Once it's out in the US (soon!), I definitely want to play with you guys! :D

Einbroch

Banned

I've been waiting for this game for a while since you guys talk about it so damn much on 8-4. Well, not talk about it, but mention it almost every time a mobile game is brought up.

When is soon? I need this.

Is this another one where the best strategy is to replay the beginning over and over until you get a rare monster from the initial free gachpon thing?
From what I played, it's even worse than PAD in terms of the rarity strata- both in terms of how difficult it is to roll the rarest monsters and how much better they are than everything else. Co-op and fast rerolls help take off that edge though.

john tv

I've been waiting for this game for a while since you guys talk about it so damn much on 8-4. Well, not talk about it, but mention it almost every time a mobile game is brought up.

When is soon? I need this.
Not actually sure - potentially real soon (like, days), but if not, then def. in the next couple weeks.

chrono01

(Disclaimer: I worked on the US version, so if you don't know me/trust me, feel free to disregard this post.) :)

For the rest of you...this is the first game of its kind (the Japanese F2P gacha kind) to really sink its hooks into me. Way more than Puzzle & Dragons ever did (which I also like, but not nearly as much as MS). I've probably played over 200 hours of the Japanese version over the past 6 months. There are two main reasons for it, I think: 1) it's an action game with simple controls (but complex physics), and 2) it's got four-player online co-op. It's a fun game to play alone, but playing with others really takes it to another level -- it's only once I started playing co-op that I started getting crazy into the game. You only use stamina if you're the host; if you run out of stamina, you can still join other players' games whenever you want, which basically means you can keep playing forever if you have friends to play with. Plus they give you Orbs (this game's currency - your Magic Stones, if you will) like it's nobody's business. The first 10 players you play co-op with, you get 5 Orbs a piece (!), and then you get another one per person for the next 90 players. Plus they give you 5 Orbs (plus some other stuff) for every new player you invite to the game who completes the Tutorial for up to 100 (I think?) players. It's kinda ridiculous.

BTW, the main game designer is Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter, Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Zelda: Oracles, etc. etc.).

Thanks for the post!

I'm really looking forward to its release. I've had an eye on it since it was available in Japan, and was hoping that it would eventually get an English localization. When I heard earlier this month that it would, well...I was pretty excited.

I'm a Puzzle & Dragons fan too, as well as Brave Frontier, School Idol Festival, and the recently-released Terra Battle [seriously, try it people!], but I'll definitely be adding Monster Strike to my play-list once it's released.

FZZ

Banned
I thought it topped PAD a while ago and the two were constantly switching places back and forth?

Colombo

Maybe the publisher will also try and better the sales of P&D Z by releasing a 3DS version? Never heard of the publisher, Mixi before though.

TI82

Banned
Questions: is it a freemium game? And is it pretty easy to play if I know rudimentary Japanese? Just wanna try it out.

hitsugi

I actually wouldn't know about this game if it weren't for johns tweets, so.. Yeah. Looking forward to it as Terra Battle was disappointing

Nerokis

Interesting to see people like him achieve so much success in mobile. Seems Terra Battle has been a big success for Sakaguchi, too.

antipode

Sounds awesome man! Psyched to try it out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Interesting to see people like him achieve so much success in mobile. Seems Terra Battle has been a big success for Sakaguchi, too.

Remember, it wasn't long ago that Okamoto had to close Game Republic and take up a job in mobile gamedev, and was told to tell people he'd "retired", yet here he is, dragging the Japanese mobile space into the realm of respectability and making a lot of money in the process. You can never count these guys out for too long, eh?

Incidentally, does anyone remember the old Capcom GBC game, Metal Walker? Monster Strike kinda reminds me of that game, come to think of it. I wonder if any of Okamoto's guys worked on that one.

Shouta

This is a very good game, so it's not surprising. it's a RPG Marbles game, more or less Very cool overall. I played a little bit of the JP version but because I'm in the US, it's kind of hard to do the multiplayer thing, lol. It's much easier and more fun to play than P&D without sacrificing anything.

Oh Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

The co-op mode you describe is very very intriguing. Especially since you can play it without expending energy on your part; I despise games that limit your ability to play via an energy mechanic. I noticed a trend in "get rid of energy with this 1 time IAP" in games too.

lupinko

ZOMG he lives!

Folklore 2 please!

Or at least come back to Capcom to fix what Inafking broke and what Takeuchi can't fix.

Gonna drop this here as a provisional reroll list (translated from here) in case anybody wanted to play the game when it comes out. Depending on exactly which version launches and what's available things will change.

S tier:
Aladdin
Water Spirit Tequila
Belphegor
Yggdrasil
Red Riding Hood
Zeus
Arthur (now a waifu)

A tier:
Sakamoto Ryouma
Napoleon (now a loli)
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Beethoven (somehow not a waifu)
Hunter King
Strike
Alice
Fairy Prince Gimlet

B tier:
Uesugi Kenshin (unsurprisingly now a waifu)
Agnamute X
Corsair (warplane turned waifu)
Heracles
Athena
Agnamute (separate from X)
Harley X
Satan
Loki
Odin

Top Bottom