• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore's Law Is Dead Claims To Have Received Insider Information About the PlayStation 5 That is Amazing If It's True

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Moore's Law Is Dead is a YouTuber who talks about video-game technology and purports to receive exclusive information about impending products from industry insiders. In his latest video, which is embedded below, he claims to have received a scoop about the PlayStation 5 and the most recent Xbox game show (July 23rd) months ago but has kept it to himself since then because it was initially unbelievable. He says that the reason that he is revealing it now is that it has recently been proven partially true; supposedly, the scoop revealed - months ago - that the most recent Xbox game show would announce Fable 4 and that it wouldn't reveal the price and release date of the Xbox Series X, both of which are accurate. Hence, he claims that the information in the scoop pertaining to the PlayStation 5 must be true; it is as follows:

1. The PlayStation 5's Geometry Engine will be included in the micro-architecture that will be RDNA3 and that it implements a variant of Variable Rate Shading that runs circles around the Xbox Series X. Its ability to draw polygons will be difficult for the Xbox Series X to compete with.

2. The polygonal rendering of the Geometry Engine will take about a year for third-party developers to master but that Sony's first-party developers have already mastered it, which is why Horizon Forbidden West will actually look as good during gameplay as it does in the in-engine trailer that was revealed during the PlayStation 5 game show last month.

3. The PlayStation 5's ray tracing capabilities are much more customized and subsequently better than they have been revealed to be.

4. The yields of the PlayStation 5's APU at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company have been better than expected, which has resulted in a sufficient percentage of them having 38 functional CUs on the GPU. Hence, Sony may bump up the official specs of the PlayStation 5 to include 38 active CUs on the GPU rather than the previously announced 36.

5. The PlayStation 5's memory chips may be upgraded from 16 gigabits per second to 18 gigabits per second.

6. The PlayStation 5's CPU frequency may be bumped up by 100Mhz.

7. Sony will be announcing God of War 2 (or 5, depending on how you look at it) in August via a very graphically impressive gameplay demonstration ("jaw dropping graphics that approach photo realism").

8. A reboot of a mystery franchise: "a mainstay of PlayStation, one that used to be a bigger, tent-pole franchise and Mark Cerny is working on it."

fallingdove

I doubt any of this is true but I found it curious that Phill specifically referred to the XSX as the most consistently powerful console. A strange wording that seemed to imply that in certain conditions that the PS5 was more powerful.

I don’t know - I think gamers have lost their minds waiting for next gen. Covid didn’t help at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

We will be seeing a God of War tease soon within 2 weeks or so that I dont know but it will be before the new consoles launch.

There is a reboot in the works but its pretty far out yet no idea when we get that.

I believe the ray tracing was in fact more exotic and possibly harder to work with so that may be what he is talking about there, I didnt watch the video.

The hardware stuff I find difficult to believe

Dodkrake

Banned
Moore's Law Is Dead is a YouTuber who talks about video-game technology and purports to receive exclusive information about impending products from industry insiders. In his latest video, which is embedded below, he claims to have received a scoop about the PlayStation 5 and the most recent Xbox game show (July 23rd) months ago but has kept it to himself since then because it was initially unbelievable. He says that the reason that he is revealing it now is that it has recently been proven partially true; supposedly, the scoop revealed - months ago - that the most recent Xbox game show would announce Fable 4 and that it wouldn't reveal the price and release date of the Xbox Series X, both of which are accurate. Hence, he claims that the information in the scoop pertaining to the PlayStation 5 must be true; it is as follows:

1. The PlayStation 5's Geometry Engine will be included in the micro-architecture that will be RDNA3 and that it implements a variant of Variable Rate Shading that runs circles around the Xbox Series X. Its ability to draw polygons will be difficult for the Xbox Series X to compete with.

2. The polygonal rendering of the Geometry Engine will take about a year for third-party developers to master but that Sony's first-party developers have already mastered it, which is why Horizon Forbidden West will actually look as good during gameplay as it does in the in-engine trailer that was revealed during the PlayStation 5 game show last month.

3. The PlayStation 5's ray tracing capabilities are much more customized and subsequently better than they have been revealed to be.

4. The yields of the PlayStation 5's APU at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company have been better than expected, which has resulted in a sufficient percentage of them having 38 functional CUs on the GPU. Hence, Sony may bump up the official specs of the PlayStation 5 to include 38 active CUs on the GPU rather than the previously announced 36.

5. The PlayStation 5's memory chips may be upgraded from 16 gigabits per second to 18 gigabits per second.

6. The PlayStation 5's CPU frequency may be bumped up by 100Mhz.

7. Sony will be announcing God of War 2 (or 5, depending on how you look at it) in August via a very graphically impressive gameplay demonstration ("jaw dropping graphics that approach photo realism").

8. A reboot of a mystery franchise: "a mainstay of PlayStation, one that used to be a bigger, tent-pole franchise and Mark Cerny is working on it."

Before commenting, I want to say I really appreciate your summary, which I will be trusting in my response below. Nothing nasty I may have to say is directed at you. Without furter delay, here we go.

1. I honestly believe some architecture both Sony and Microsoft developed with AMD will feature in RDNA 3, so this doesn't shock me. What does shock me are claims that it runs circles over MS's architecture. Sorry, don't buy it
  2. Will be calling bullshit on this one
  3. This sounds reasonable. Ray Tracing scales with both CU's and Frequency, plus if Sony added some of their own customization, they may have great capabilities that wouldn't be possible in similar systems
  4. Bullshit. Unless Sony figured this out 6 months ago, it's not happening
  5. Bullshit. See comment above
  6. Bullshit. See comment above
  7. Possible, but not probable
  8. Nothing to comment on

There are features in the PS5 that clearly are designed for their next VR headset (foveated rendering?). Sony isn't ready to talk about that stuff yet. The real question isn't a case of it being RDNA3, but whether AMD will utilize Sony's custom features at all in future products. If that's the case, knock yourself out calling it RDNA3. I dunno. As for the other stuff, I guess they could speed up the memory or turn on two more compute units if the yields are good enough. CPU boost? I guess. Sony has been known to do last minute spec bumps, but I guess it all depends on what developer feedback has been. Some of this may depend on how good the cooling system is, but probably not. Overall, the chances are low they'll do anything.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

This stuff reminds me of that Misterxmedia or whatever joker during the One launch days. Can we just stick to the facts at this point?

I am looking forward to that new Jet Moto game though

I mean, moore's law isn't a system fanboy. If anything he's more of an AMD fanboy, so he's got no horse in the race. 99% of his content is PC related.

He's also been right about lots of insider stuff regarding AMD and Intel chipset releases, so he DOES he insider knowledge.

GreatnessRD

Don't know if any of the stuff this Moore's Law says ever comes true, but of the 2 videos I've watched of him, its hard for me to take him serious. Every other word out of his mouth is

"My source confirmed to me"
"I knew about this two years ago, but I couldn't say anything"
"My second new source has said this, but I can't tell you"
"4 months ago my source said this would happen. I kinda hinted at it. He said its supposed to be in, but we won't know until release"

Like, bruh. lol

Chupanibre

I'm still in a "let's wait and see" frame of mind with all of this. Most likely getting a PS5 no matter what, so I don't really care about the rumors at this point.

Yoboman

Never believe a rumour where they claim to know this much

He knows about PS5 yields, APIs, and software in development. I doubt even higher ups at Sony would know all that besides Cerny

You guys didn't hear the rumors about how Xbox has a 2nd GPU hidden inside? It adds additional 8 TF so the console will actually be 20 Tflops mid gen.

Reason why microsoft hasn't talked about this yet is because this will be their surprise announcement later down the line of introducing the Xbox Series X Pro. You pay a fee and it will activate it, but the nice thing is you don't need to get new hardware. You just pay money and it activates the secret GPU additional tflop power.

I heard Sony is doing same thing but 2 hidden GPUs instead of one to 1 up MS.

Crazy huh?

It came from a well known youtuber by the name of Pen1sL0v3r.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Sounds like complete bullshit. Changing specs like CU count and memory chips this late in the game?

He does claim that he received this into "months" ago. It's still bollocks but you never know leaks have come from some strange places before.

Top Bottom