• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore's Law Is Dead Claims To Have Received Insider Information About the PlayStation 5 That is Amazing If It's True

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Before commenting, I want to say I really appreciate your summary, which I will be trusting in my response below. Nothing nasty I may have to say is directed at you. Without furter delay, here we go.

1. I honestly believe some architecture both Sony and Microsoft developed with AMD will feature in RDNA 3, so this doesn't shock me. What does shock me are claims that it runs circles over MS's architecture. Sorry, don't buy it
  2. Will be calling bullshit on this one
  3. This sounds reasonable. Ray Tracing scales with both CU's and Frequency, plus if Sony added some of their own customization, they may have great capabilities that wouldn't be possible in similar systems
  4. Bullshit. Unless Sony figured this out 6 months ago, it's not happening
  5. Bullshit. See comment above
  6. Bullshit. See comment above
  7. Possible, but not probable
  8. Nothing to comment on
Why would gameplay from a new God of War not be probable? It's been two years since the last game's release, which is plenty of time for a sequel to have been in development.

Dory16

Banned
Moore's Law Is Dead is a YouTuber who talks about video-game technology and purports to receive exclusive information about impending products from industry insiders. In his latest video, which is embedded below, he claims to have received a scoop about the PlayStation 5 and the most recent Xbox game show (July 23rd) months ago but has kept it to himself since then because it was initially unbelievable. He says that the reason that he is revealing it now is that it has recently been proven partially true; supposedly, the scoop revealed - months ago - that the most recent Xbox game show would announce Fable 4 and that it wouldn't reveal the price and release date of the Xbox Series X, both of which are accurate. Hence, he claims that the information in the scoop pertaining to the PlayStation 5 must be true; it is as follows:

1. The PlayStation 5's Geometry Engine will be included in the micro-architecture that will be RDNA3 and that it implements a variant of Variable Rate Shading that runs circles around the Xbox Series X. Its ability to draw polygons will be difficult for the Xbox Series X to compete with.

2. The polygonal rendering of the Geometry Engine will take about a year for third-party developers to master but that Sony's first-party developers have already mastered it, which is why Horizon Forbidden West will actually look as good during gameplay as it does in the in-engine trailer that was revealed during the PlayStation 5 game show last month.

3. The PlayStation 5's ray tracing capabilities are much more customized and subsequently better than they have been revealed to be.

4. The yields of the PlayStation 5's APU at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company have been better than expected, which has resulted in a sufficient percentage of them having 38 functional CUs on the GPU. Hence, Sony may bump up the official specs of the PlayStation 5 to include 38 active CUs on the GPU rather than the previously announced 36.

5. The PlayStation 5's memory chips may be upgraded from 16 gigabits per second to 18 gigabits per second.

6. The PlayStation 5's CPU frequency may be bumped up by 100Mhz.

7. Sony will be announcing God of War 2 (or 5, depending on how you look at it) in August via a very graphically impressive gameplay demonstration ("jaw dropping graphics that approach photo realism").

8. A reboot of a mystery franchise: "a mainstay of PlayStation, one that used to be a bigger, tent-pole franchise and Mark Cerny is working on it."

If Sony had even a remote claim on the most powerful console title, they certainly wouldn't let all of Microsoft's chest beating go unchallenged. It's not even close.

Smart. Don’t want to spoil the surprise/ pollute yourself with information to think critically about.

Think critically about what? That Sony first-party developer has mastered an engine on a console that hasn't been released yet and it will take 3rd party developers a whole year to "master".

That's supreme BS cmon man

JLMC469

Banned
RDNA 3 and trusting a random youtuber.
tenor.gif

Jdroop

Lol everyone knew they were going to show Fable 😂 and no way in hell Microsoft was going to reveal price first.

Antwix

Is Mark Cerny making us a Socom for PS5?
God, I hope so. He's been working with Sony long enough to hopefully understand what made the first couple SOCOMs better than the last couple. I'd even take a MAG reboot at this point.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Why would gameplay from a new God of War not be probable? It's been two years since the last game's release, which is plenty of time for a sequel to have been in development.

I believe in a Kotaku interview Cory Barlog mentioned that it took 5 years to develop GoW4, and most of that was engine and logistics. He mentioned the next game will be a lot more streamlined development wise since they already effectively have a more modern engine.

Saaleh

Banned
I'm expecting a Mark cerny game. He even was in the last show saying ''welcome to playstation'' among the developers segment. So sneaky..

I don't believe anything anymore after yesterday
If you are like me who no longer believe ms hype, yet still like to have a tiny bit of hope from some of microsoft's studios than just move on to PC and all this war will suddenly be fun to watch. You will have fun making fun of their stupid failures instead of being bothered by them and if they do something good you will certainly enjooy it in PC hehe.:messenger_savoring:

Sony never failed me across ps1-4 generations so i'm still their fancat.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they? Sony's marketing has been on the basis of "we aren't claiming nothing but we can deliver. Meanwhile, the "power crown" marketing has just exploded in MS's face.
They've been marketing so hard on the Tflop numbers that it's going to be strange when they release a console alongside with less than half that number. I'm not dogging Lockheart here, I think Lockheart is a good idea for people that don't want to spend Series X money and already have a simple 1080P set. Especially considering everything with the economy. With that said, just how many kids on Christmas day are gonna be totally mad when their parents bought them Lockheart instead of Series X.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've been listening to Moore's Law is Dead for a few months now, basically because he claims to have inside sources.

He hasn't said anything that I'm aware of to completely discredit him, but he hasn't Jeff Gubbed us either.

I've grown slightly more skeptical of his insider status but I still have no idea. He might be legit.

It basically depends on yields. They're just deactivating CU's for yields, so its not exactly an entire back to the drawing board thing. The extra CU's are already on the die.

How many total CUs does the PS5 have?

I mean if it's only 38 CUs I highly doubt that Sony would activate all of them even if the yields were good.

BRZBlue

I've been listening to Moore's Law is Dead for a few months now, basically because he claims to have inside sources.

He hasn't said anything that I'm aware of to completely discredit him, but he hasn't Jeff Gubbed us either.

I've grown slightly more skeptical of his insider status but I still have no idea. He might be legit.

He was one of the first to really sound the alarm about how far up shit-creek Intel was when Ryzen was in the wings. Most of his insider stuff is AMD/Intel related, which is probably how he gets console related info. I also think he's nailed a bunch of Intel/AMD new chipset releases.

Dodkrake

Banned
How many total CUs does the PS5 have?

I mean if it's only 38 CUs I highly doubt that Sony would activate all of them even if the yields were good.

The APU has 40CUs, with 4 being disabled. They will not be activating now. No chance. This would have had to happened 6 months ago.

They've been marketing so hard on the Tflop numbers that it's going to be strange when they release a console alongside with less than half that number. I'm not dogging Lockheart here, I think Lockheart is a good idea for people that don't want to spend Series X money and already have a simple 1080P set. Especially considering everything with the economy. With that said, just how many kids on Christmas day are gonna be totally mad when their parents bought them Lockheart instead of Series X.

Even if they don't. If you market for power, you show power. They needed to show something that would blow everybody away. Instead, they showed Halo.

PS5 has been selling fast IO, and you got Ratchet. PS5 sold HW ray tracing, and you got GT7. That's marketing.

Rob_27

Why not mentioned before the Xbox show.

Be nice if some of it happened but seems a little convenient.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm expecting a Mark cerny game. He even was in the last show saying ''welcome to playstation'' among the developers segment. So sneaky..

If you are like me who no longer believe ms hype, yet still like to have a tiny bit of hope from some of microsoft's studios than just move on to PC and all this war will suddenly be fun to watch. You will have fun making fun of their stupid failures instead of being bothered by them and if they do something good you will certainly enjooy it in PC hehe.:messenger_savoring:

Sony never failed me across ps1-4 generations so i'm still their fancat.
Way ahead of you brotha. I had a PC since 2018. Looking into upgrades.

First Red Tech Gaming and now him? Last week was RDNA1-2 hybrid then they say it's full RDNA 2 and these dudes talking about RDNA 3 features built in PS5? I'll just wait until it's released.

GetemMa

Honestly I think "Moore's Law is Dead" is just a guy who gathers any internet rumor he can find regardless of their veracity and then comes to conclusions that will allow him to title a video to generate the most clicks, probably because his channel doesn't seem very popular.

He posts a bunch of links below his video, I think to show his "sources" but I clicked through them and these are just well known rumors, some of them are very old, and none of them are relevant to his conclusions. They don't prove what he is saying what so ever. It's sort of trick by association. It just seems like an underhanded way of trying to relate what he is speculating with reliable sources, despite the fact the connections between the two are tenuous at best.

I generally do not put a lot of stock in what he says because I don't think he has any real inside sources. He's basically a rumor aggregator and then speculates on the sum of the rumors. Don't get your hopes up based on anything he says.

AmuroChan

I don't understand why so many people sub to these channels? If the person claims to have insider information and it proves to be complete BS, wouldn't the logical thing be to unsub since the person is clearly a fraud? How the heck does this guy still have 63K subs?

Last edited:
The APU has 40CUs, with 4 being disabled. They will not be activating now. No chance. This would have had to happened 6 months ago.

Even if they don't. If you market for power, you show power. They needed to show something that would blow everybody away. Instead, they showed Halo.

PS5 has been selling fast IO, and you got Ratchet. PS5 sold HW ray tracing, and you got GT7. That's marketing.

The only thing I can see good yields doing is helping increase the amount of PS5s Sony is making. There is that rumor that they upped production so that could be true.

Dodkrake

Banned
I believe its 40. So they'd still be able to deactivate 2 for yields.

They could also not deactivate any and go with 40CU's, but yields would be poorer. The more pairs you can disable, the better your yields will be.

The only thing I can see good yields doing is helping increase the amount of PS5s Sony is making. There is that rumor that they upped production so that could be true.

Yep

Last edited:

BRZBlue

The obvious choice is Jack and Daxter but if it's a launch title it would be a little bit redundant with Ratchet and Clank.

I'm callin it now: it's Ape Escape.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

Syphon Filter?
Wipeout?
Colony Wars?

sn0man

Think critically about what? That Sony first-party developer has mastered an engine on a console that hasn't been released yet and it will take 3rd party developers a whole year to "master".

That's supreme BS cmon man
I agree that the claim is eye rolling but skimming the rest of it I could see Sony pushing on these other concepts. MHz increase, CU increase, etc.

True and true.

I do find it bizarre how they only showed what Halo would look like running on Xbox One, but even that was running on a PC. Odd. What was so difficult about have a side-by-side of Xbox One and Series X version? What's going on with that studio?

Isn't Sony going to be doing another streaming event this month?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He was one of the first to really sound the alarm about how far up shit-creek Intel was when Ryzen was in the wings. Most of his insider stuff is AMD/Intel related, which is probably how he gets console related info. I also think he's nailed a bunch of Intel/AMD new chipset releases.

Nice. I can't understand a thing when he talks about PC/tech but this is good to know. Hopefully August is fun.

stitch1

Moore's Law believes a lot of things. Almost like throwing as many ideas at the wall hoping to get at least one of them right. I don't buy into anything he's selling. If something he says becomes reality it'll be from coincidence rather than "first hand knowledge".

Dodkrake

Banned
Let's just assume that they have 38CUs that are activated.

How many TFlops would that be?

Just for speculation of course.

36CU = 2304 shaders
38CU = 2432 shaders

2230MHz * 2304 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.276TF
2230Mhz * 2432 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.847TF

Out of interest, if by any chance (non-existant) it was a 100MHz bump to GPU clockspeed]

2330Mhz * 2304 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.737TF

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Nice. I can't understand a thing when he talks about PC/tech but this is good to know. Hopefully August is fun.

Its really weird for me to hear people going "OMG random youtuber, misterxmedia clone, etc. etc." when he really has no skin in the console segment, LOL.

Dodkrake

Banned
True and true.

I do find it bizarre how they only showed what Halo would look like running on Xbox One, but even that was running on a PC. Odd. What was so difficult about have a side-by-side of Xbox One and Series X version? What's going on with that studio?

Isn't Sony going to be doing another streaming event this month?

You mean Series X, right?

Top Bottom