• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore's Law Is Dead Claims To Have Received Insider Information About the PlayStation 5 That is Amazing If It's True

I watched the video, he seems to have "sources." He's a PC guy mostly, doesn't really seem to BS much. Seems to have a good track record of info on at least the PC side of things.

I don't know if I buying everything he's putting down. He said the Horizon game will look like those crabs in the demo, those crabs were honestly the best looking thing in that demo. Like those crabs were damn legit and looked CG, idk if everything else after them looked as good. GOW 2 that soon, man I don't know. It would be great, but I'm skeptical.

The only thing that leads any credence to anything he said about the architecture of the PS5 is what Mark Cerny eluded to in his presentation, I believe he said something like "If our partnership with AMD was successful then you may see things in the PS5 that will later come to AMD" or something like that, i'm too lazy to look it up... but who the hell knows what that means. It could all be BS.

Edit: I hope the Mark Cerny game is not Knack 3...

Last edited:
36CU = 2304 shaders
38CU = 2432 shaders

2230MHz * 2304 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.276TF
2230Mhz * 2432 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.847TF

Out of interest, if by any chance (non-existant) it was a 100MHz bump to GPU clockspeed]

2330Mhz * 2304 shaders * 2 instructions per tick = 10.737TF

That doesn't seem like anything to be honest even if it was true.

Just under eleven. 10.82? Could be wrong.

I don't think we will notice that much of a performance increase. Still higher numbers for them will be better.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
And he said something about clockspeed increase. I don't believe it, but in war everything is possible. War is not fair or rational :messenger_tongue:

splattered

Why would gameplay from a new God of War not be probable? It's been two years since the last game's release, which is plenty of time for a sequel to have been in development.

We are definitely getting some sort of teaser or trailer from God of War soon, Cory has been posting silly but telling responses on his twitter timeline recently.

It's going to look incredible and i can't wait to see it!

Dodkrake

Banned

And they make the system as a whole. Sure, you can have a slight overclock, if your clocks are not that extreme. But even then, your cooling and power solution must account for said overclock capabilities. The PS5 seems to be pushing both pretty far. That and chip logic, IO bandwidth, etc.

Dampf

Please just stop believing that guy.

Stuff he said about Ampere already destroyed his whole credibility because of how illogical it is to anyone with solid understanding of the matter. No different here...

Last edited:

I don't think we will notice that much of a performance increase. Still higher numbers for them will be better.
If there is any upgrade they should do, maybe memory speed. But, what the hell do I know. I just post here.

Reindeer

He also says that PS6 will launch 4-5 year after PS5... Yeah, I'm not sure about his sources on this one, the guy does make some outlandish claims at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

dyergram

w3Wzbvh.jpg

RasAlGhoul

Things I think are possible here.

1. August showing of God of War
2. Geometry Engine being a big deal and ending up in RDNA 3.
3. RT being more exotic.
4 100mhz up clock on CPU

The rest is a nope.

Increase in either clocks or CUs would raise APU TDP wouldn't it?

Wouldn't that completely throw off the thermal profiles they've designed all the games around?

You'd hit your thermal ceiling more often and at a faster rate which possibly require a larger frequency drop for longer periods to counter it. I don't see how it could work without breaking things. I doubt these rumors very much.

Someone's confused. The PS5 memory chips are 14 Gbps chips, and not 16 Gbps chips.

14,000,000,000 x 256 data pins = 3,584,000,000,000 bits per second or 448,000,000,000 Bytes per second (448 GBytes/sec).

A bump up to 18 Gbps would give us 576 GBytes/sec.

That's a nice increase, but it's probably a bump up to 16 Gbps chips, giving us 512 GBytes/sec.
Out of all the last minute bumps. This could be it. I could be mistaken here, but didn't Cerny say the Tempest Engine could swallow up a lot of bandwidth if a developer went wild with it?

sn0man

Its really weird for me to hear people going "OMG random youtuber, misterxmedia clone, etc. etc." when he really has no skin in the console segment, LOL.
His statements are a classic (not hyperbolic) grain of salt set of rumors. Folks with too much emotional connection to either console reacting the way we see.

Last gen: 1.) we found out Sony double up the PS4 ram right before Feb PS4 announcement and 2.) MS reacted to lower power output by increasing clock rate (even after announcement IIRC)

this guy is a YouTube to get clicks but he’s an AMD/NVIDIA/Intel you tuber so isn’t invested in MS/Sony.

my TL;DR: the speed portions Of his rumors are quite possible but not guaranteed.

sendit

God of War reveal in August is the only thing from the list I can see as being true.

Last edited:

vpance

Increase in either clocks or CUs would raise APU TDP wouldn't it?

Wouldn't that completely throw off the thermal profiles they've designed all the games around?

You'd hit your thermal ceiling more often and at a faster rate which possibly require a larger frequency drop for longer periods to counter it. I don't see how it could work without breaking things. I doubt these rumors very much.

PS5 clock speed is tied to power draw, not temps.

Actual TDP is unknown but every system is guaranteed to have some buffer zone. Upping the clocks/CU may just require a fan speed bump to compensate for the higher heat. A trade off of noise for performance.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Idk about all this but what I do know is the gameplay tht was showed at Sony's presentation was infinitely better than the very little that was shown at Microsoft's and I don't think thts just due to Microsoft being held back by Xbox one. Ppl keep downplaying PS5's efficiency and modifications as if it doesn't matter, you shall see 😊

GetemMa

He was one of the first to really sound the alarm about how far up shit-creek Intel was when Ryzen was in the wings. Most of his insider stuff is AMD/Intel related, which is probably how he gets console related info. I also think he's nailed a bunch of Intel/AMD new chipset releases.

I think he just gets his info from people like adored tv, rogame, kopite7kimi, and igor and pretends like this information is from insiders that he knows. But anyone who follows these people on Twitter or goes to their blogs knows this information. These people have a record of leaking info that turned out to be true. In general not many people know who these people are, so MLID is able to make it look like he is the one finding this information out when that isn't the case. I can't think of a single example of MLID providing a genuine piece of insider info that wasn't put out by someone else like igor first.

I think he just regurgitates rumors and adds speculation and I'm not sure he is even that well informed about the tech. He talked about DLSS 3.0 in a way that kind of exposed that he doesn't really know what he is talking about and then when people called him out he had to walk it all back and say whoops.

He's the wrong "insider" to put any stock in. I don't think he knows anything special. I think he his just trying to grow is channel by being really disingenuous.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
We will be seeing a God of War tease soon within 2 weeks or so that I dont know but it will be before the new consoles launch.

There is a reboot in the works but its pretty far out yet no idea when we get that.

I believe the ray tracing was in fact more exotic and possibly harder to work with so that may be what he is talking about there, I didnt watch the video.

The hardware stuff I find difficult to believe

I got a quadruple shot gun with Quad damage pointed at you. I believe in you. :messenger_grinning:

Moore's Law is such a hack. For starters, they're using 14 Gbps chips, not 16 Gbps. What was his source, Foxy the cardboard box?

If PS5 had these amazing features, why were they not mentioned in Road to PS5 in detail? We know that is when Sony generally gets into the technical presentation of their new hardware, yet they did not mention these details. What would they gain by holding out on any of this if true? Could've saved themselves a ton of embarrassment in terms of perceived power disadvantages if this were true, and they got out clarifying/confirming it officially to steal Microsoft's thunder.

See how all of this falls apart when you break it down logically? I've heard the same RDNA3 rumors (ironically from RedTechGaming who's a more neutral/better tech channel, and at least he clarifies the reason he speaks mostly on PS5 stuff is because his contacts are PS guys, though he's heard of RDNA3 customizations for the Series systems too), but they are likely very small customizations in the grand scheme of things, otherwise we'd of heard more about them. The closest thing to an RDNA3 spec in PS5 we've actually heard a lot about are the GPU cache scrubbers, which we can assume will be in RDNA3 thanks to Sony introducing them in PS5's design.

Moore's doing nothing more here than cobbling out new clickbait rumors based on older rumors from oddball sources trying to drive traffic to his channel. It's a bit pathetic honestly.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Should be 40

Though I agree. Even if the yields are good the yields with 36 should be even better. Seems pointless

Its feasible to disable less CU if starting number was 40. However, chips will have been tested and binned accordingly, so Sony would of had to make the choice of 36 or 38 CU when the chips are tested before they go on the PCB.

So all those decisions are possible, but not after Ps5 chips have put put inside ps5 and boxed. Too late.

Same for 14 to 16 gbps RAM, they would have to make that choice before shipping the RAM chips for manufacture..

So if any of this is true, Sony would of done this 6 months ago, and we would of had leaks. Not impossible, but low probability.

Last edited:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Sounds like complete bullshit. Changing specs like CU count and memory chips this late in the game?

I agree to a point, but a higher CU number can happen without a hardware redesign (@ PCB level, rather than chip yield meaning more chips test OK with better specs), as can a higher memory bandwidth. Both can feasibly be catered for in the OS without changing PCB layout, which will likely have been finalised sometime in the last 6 months.

sircaw

Banned
if they suddenly enabled to extra cu, would that not fuck with the thermals of the system, i can not see it myself, i am not technical at all, but i dont think you can just do stuff like that with out a major redesign.

I would say it sounds fake to me.

the games stuff sure. anything is possible there but hardware surely is set in stone now.

Top Bottom