• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS3 box arts

koam

What's with all these spiderman games?

Seriously though, i didn't mind the font at first cause i thought it was a place holder, but now, holy shit it's awful.

ourumov

It's incredible that after PS2 being so stylish and "cool" the PS3 is just not caring about tons of tidbits like the font used, the design of the boxes, etc...
I hope japanese boxes look cooler...

vantastic

koam said:
What's with all these spiderman games?

Seriously though, i didn't mind the font at first cause i thought it was a place holder, but now, holy shit it's awful.
how did you ever guess it was ever a placeholder?
my god, it's just a font. it's not like the world is gonna end or something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
Sony needs to bring those giant PSone cases back that they used at the start of that system. Those were awesome.

:lol

Yeah right.

jjasper

drohne said:
i don't like the spiderman font, but i like that the logo strip is small and marginal. of course we'll also have that huge ugly blu-ray tab at the top. :x

Yeah I really wish they would keep the blu-ray tab but put the PS3 logo there and not the blu-ray symbol and have the whole front be cover art and have a clearish black case.

Chao

The strip looks like a bad photoshop. There's something wrong going on there but dunno what exactly.

Bud said:
Which cases are you talking about, ssx?

The original cases they used for the system

famespnme2.jpg

Mau ®

It depends on the box art really. The Tony Hwak pic looks great because it has a good balance between elements that make it stand out better. In that sense it is a better looking box art than the 360 box art of the game.

I'd say it looks good but like I said it depends on the balance and colors of the art. Proportion and balance are key with the PS3 box arts.

jett

D-Member
That's some ugly ass shit

edit: :lol Sorry Safe Bet, but I managed to see your original post. Doubt anyone's going to bother coming to the address you listed looking for a fight. :p

Safe Bet

Banned
jett said:
That's some ugly ass shit

edit: :lol Sorry Safe Bet, but I managed to see your original post. Doubt anyone's going to bother coming to the address you listed looking for a fight. :p
I regreted it as soon as I did it.

Sorry..

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
:lol :lol Damage the brand over a freakin font? As long as people can read what it says most people don't care what a font looks like.
Actually no, brand has a lot to do with font selection. People respect Time Magazine because they don't use Comic Sans as their font. The Spiderman font is pretty close to the original Xbox logo, and it's passe now for some people. I guess there are still a number of people that like it though, as is evident in this thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the spiderman font fits the design of the PS3. When some other people photoshopped the original back onto the PS3 (might have been Jarosh), it just didn't fit. But then again, Sony probably could have designed it with the old font in mind. ;)

Those huge cases ****ing suck. Saturn games came in them. Cracked, the CD got loose, the hinges broke...ugh what a nightmare.

temp

posting on contract only
Zaptruder said:
Anyone else think the Tony hawk cover actually looks pretty good next to that strip?
It has its own strip to battle against the Playstation 3 strip.

Gattsu25

Banned
JB1981 said:
Where's the Blu-Ray symbol? That shit should be front and center.
will it be at the top of the box, exactly like it is with the BR movies?

Seeing these reminds me of the later PSX cases...would've been nice :b

Kolgar

Yep, fonts are an important consideration for a brand. They help convey the image and personality of your product.

In this case, the font Sony's chosen is already "owned" by the Spiderman movie franchise. Most people don't even know the font's proper name - only that it's "the Spiderman" font. What Sony should have done is find a different font or create a new font especially for PS3. Something as unique as the machine itself.

Based on GAF reaction, the overall opinion seems to be negative so far. The font is just too closely associated with Spiderman. This could hurt the console's image as the brand loses some of its hipness and coolness and the originality it's been known for in the past. On the other hand, for some gamers who like the Spiderman movies, the font may actually be attractive.

My opinion is it's a poor decision (lazy? or just a lame attempt to create synergy with Sony's 2007 summer blockbuster?) that actually weakens the power of the brand.

The PS3 boxart looks ok, could have been worse. I don't like the spider-man font either and I wonder if its gonna be a a translucent black or blue case. The Wii case looks too simple which I dunno if its a good thing or not. I seriuosly thought it would be designed similar to the style of the DS boxart, just DVD-case sized.

RaijinFY

vantastic said:
how did you ever guess it was ever a placeholder?
my god, it's just a font. it's not like the world is gonna end or something.

some folks really think the world will end because of the presence of this font!

Safe Bet

Banned
D-X said:
Maybe I can respond now without losing my temper and looking like a complete idiot:

I completely forgot the logo ran that way back then (which is easy to do considering I never owned a PS1).

Perhaps the name running from bottom to top isn't so bad after all. ;)

Thanks for the correction.

However, I really do wish they would stay with the classic font. With all the succes it has seen I can't understand why they would feel a need to change it.

Baryn

Banned
Oh Jesus.

boxartwiigw0.jpg

Why didn't they have the banner extend 3/4 of the way before it takes on the wiimote shape?

Now it looks like a penis! A wee-wee, if you will!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
radioheadrule83 said:
That strip isn't the spine? Its ok either way.
These certainly look better than some of the gaudy boxes for HD-DVD and Blu Ray movie releases!
If this was the spine it would be horrible. When tons of games are standing in your cabinet and you have to take every game out to look on the front, you'll hate it. I think the spine will look much alike the PS2 ones.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
These are probably still just the shitty EBGames photoshops. Sonic and COD3 haven't even been ESRB Rated yet for the PS3 and these images have ratings on them.

gutter_trash said:
is that Sonic toy only available from EB games?
looks like I will buying the game with no console

Looking at the quality ou can probably find it in one of those claw machines.
I still want one as i'm a Sonic fanboy.

Kangu

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Actually no, brand has a lot to do with font selection. People respect Time Magazine because they don't use Comic Sans as their font. The Spiderman font is pretty close to the original Xbox logo, and it's passe now for some people. I guess there are still a number of people that like it though, as is evident in this thread.

Except the Playstation isn't a world renouned journalistic publication covering international affairs? It's a videogame console.

Top Bottom