• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS3 box arts

terrene

Banned
The strip is fine. I agree that the spidey font is a bad call, but it's treated well (with the brushed steel look) and the branding is pretty non-intrusive. What will suck is how it's embedded in a case that has it's own horizontal strip across the top for the format (Blu-ray) branding. *That* is utter crap.

Safe Bet

Banned
Kangu said:
Except the Playstation isn't a world renouned journalistic publication covering international affairs? It's a videogame console.
coke20logohy3.jpg

Kangu

Banned
Safe Bet said:

Not the same. Coca Cola doesn't have a logo, all they have is the font. Playstation has a logo and a font. Besides his original point was that people respect TIME because it has a particular font. The playstation doesn't need respect, it just needs a recognizable brand. It already has that with the name and the logo.

Another console with a recongnizable brand name is the xbox. Oddly enough they changed the font, the logo AND the naming structure and yet we still didn't get nearly as much shit about it as we've gotten over the spiderman font. You know why? Because it doesn't matter.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
do all tom clancy games have that huge border on them? i swear ive seen some boxarts without that shit on there.

edit:
B0006Z8LYQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00018GX16.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

00115481.jpg

43898.jpg

I dont see why they wont just take the border off for ps3 games.

hirokazu

Bad_Boy said:
do all tom clancy games have that huge border on them? i swear ive seen some boxarts without that shit on there.

edit:
B0006Z8LYQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00018GX16.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

00115481.jpg

43898.jpg

I dont see why they wont just take the border off for ps3 games.

Those are all PAL/Europe versions of Tom Clancy games. The US ones all have that huge, unneccessary strip on the left.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
hirokazu said:
Those are all PAL/Europe versions of Tom Clancy games. The US ones all have that huge, unneccessary strip on the left.
hmm, did not notice that. but still...is it really that hard for them to slightly change the boxart?

they obviously did for the gameboy's strip..
1081459492-00.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kangu said:
Oddly enough they changed the font, the logo AND the naming structure and yet we still didn't get nearly as much shit about it as we've gotten over the spiderman font. You know why? Because it doesn't matter.

t's fairly obvious you don't get it.

they don't get shit because the font change wasn't BAD. you can't make fun of it and it wasn't cheaply thrown together using an obvious font from a huge movie franchise.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm actually starting to like the box art, and how it'll give focus to the game covers (plus skinnier Blu-Ray cases FTW!). The only aspect I still dislike is that the font is italicized. Works for the horizontal, but not the vertical.

KINGMOKU

Kangu said:
Not the same. Coca Cola doesn't have a logo, all they have is the font. Playstation has a logo and a font. Besides his original point was that people respect TIME because it has a particular font. The playstation doesn't need respect, it just needs a recognizable brand. It already has that with the name and the logo.

Another console with a recongnizable brand name is the xbox. Oddly enough they changed the font, the logo AND the naming structure and yet we still didn't get nearly as much shit about it as we've gotten over the spiderman font. You know why? Because it doesn't matter.
Not true about Coke. They have the font, and something they call the dynamic ribbon device if memory serves me right.

You see it under the C, and in some cases another ribbon if I remember that correctly.

GCQuinton

bumpkin said:
I still have MK3, NBA Jam and that very game (ESPN Xtreme Games), all in the original large PlayStation cases.

I don't have 'em anymore, but I had MK3 and Street Fighter Alpha in the original cardboard-ish cases.

Kangu

Banned
omg rite said:
t's fairly obvious you don't get it.

they don't get shit because the font change wasn't BAD. you can't make fun of it and it wasn't cheaply thrown together using an obvious font from a huge movie franchise.

If anyone cares about this 6 months after launch the admins can ban me for the remainder of 2007. This is a complete non issue, much like the name of your favorite wacky console. In fact, it's such a non issue I can't believe I'm having an argument on this, with a brick wall of all things.

And the font isn't from a movie franchise, hell, it's pretty close to the old Xbox font.

jamesinclair said:
famespnme2.jpg

New to me

Wasn't there a Playstation case that predated that big jewel case one? It was like cardboard or something and the left side had actual ridges on it instead of the picture insert to look like ridges near the spine of the case on the regular jewel cae.

mood

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wasn't there a Playstation case that predated that big jewel case one? It was like cardboard or something and the left side had actual ridges on it instead of the picture insert to look like ridges near the spine of the case on the regular jewel cae.

yeah

97_1.jpg

mood said:

Yeah, that's it!

Huh, looking at my PS jewel cases, why did they have picture of ridges still on the side? It's complete with photo fake lighting and all making it look more three dimensional too. I mean on that old Doom box the ridges are actually there and not some picture.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah, that's it!

Huh, looking at my PS jewel cases, why did they have picture of ridges still on the side? It's complete with photo fake lighting and all making it look more three dimensional too. I mean on that old Doom box the ridges are actually there and not some picture.

probably to make it look X-Treme

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah, that's it!

I'm assuming the jewel cases have the "fake" ridges to look consistent with the prior cardboard boxes.

REV 09

technically, isn't sonic the hedgehog on the spine written upside down? The cover art would be face down if you stacked the games. I'm ok w/ the font and sidestrip now, but the blu cases are just ugly. Further proof that this system is more to Sony than gaming.

VNZ

Yeah, that looks quite acceptable. I'll grow tired of the blu-ray branding soon enough though. Do the blu-ray cases have a more squareish form factor than DVD cases? Looks like that.

edit: Yeah, the spine text is layed out upside down. Definitely a fake mock-up then. Still looks okay though. :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
REV 09 said:
technically, isn't sonic the hedgehog on the spine written upside down? The cover art would be face down if you stacked the games.

True, might indicate a fake..

But if they use blue cases, I guess it gives a good idea of what they'll look like for real. I kind of hope they colour them black, though..probably won't, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
REV 09 said:
technically, isn't sonic the hedgehog on the spine written upside down? The cover art would be face down if you stacked the games. I'm ok w/ the font and sidestrip now, but the blu cases are just ugly. Further proof that this system is more to Sony than gaming.

amazing how you deduct all of this from a plastic CASE

davepoobond said:

Actually according to his post on OA, PS3 has nothing to do with gaming just from the case :lol

REV 09 said:
it's sony's standard casing...further proof that the ps3 has nothing to do w/ gaming, and everything to do w/ pushing blu ray. I can't really blame the uniform branding of Blu Ray from a business perspective, even if it is ugly.

REV 09

davepoobond said:
good god fanboys, it's called uniform branding...it's smart business. They're using an existing brand (Playstation) to market a new brand (Blu Ray). Blu cases are still ugly though, so are HD DVD's Red cases.

REV 09

monkeymagic said:
Actually according to his post on OA, PS3 has nothing to do with gaming just from the case :lol
OA special...admittedly that comment is too extreme, and i don't really feel that way. I'm still buying a PS3 so what does it matter? I do feel that Sony is using the Playstation brand to push blu ray though, and i don't think it has much to do w/ gaming at all. That's my personal opinion though, but like i said, i'm still buying one and the branding is good business, the cost may not be.

EDIT: and of course i didn't form this opinion from a game case folks.

teiresias

That's so fake. Look at any book or CD and the standard for the title on the spine is that it runs from top to bottom when looked at when standing upright on a bookshelf.

REV 09

whoa...guess it is real

edit: i still don't know. What do you guys think? Center of the disc looks a little iffy, as if it isn't showing enough of the actual disc. And the book looks like a sheet of paper.

Top Bottom