• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mormon/Ex-Mormon Thread of 3 hour blocks and salvation flowcharts

ronito

As a TBM missionary, if this had happened on my mission I would have refused to comply, and would have actively agitated amongst the missionaries to also not comply.

Hell I was non-compliant over numbers, I might have started an armed insurrection if they had tried to pull something like this.

I'm skeptical. I can understand how this might have happened, but I don't know enough about church welfare programs in other countries to understand why this requirement might exist.
My gut doesn't like it, but my head is like "Well if you're requiring them to pay tithe to be a member in good standing this is really no different, you're just changing the timeline. Why is it so bad to do this for new converts but expected/required the day after they get baptized?"

I think my head is winning on this one.

ronitoswife

Neo Member
Anyway, Ronito's already read it, but I thought I'd share with you all the fun of First Sunday of a New Semester!

Which is to say the Stake President came to our Elder's Quorum and dove right into The Law of Chastity lesson, netting us this glorious and special quote:

"If you kiss her, kiss her standing up!"

The paradoxical push in this town to get people to fuck and yet prevent them from fucking never ceases to entertain me. I'm sorry, Stake President, but I intend to kiss all the girls I will be tooootally kissing this semester whilst hanging upside down like I'm goddamn Spider-Man.

Half my roommates are from out of nation, and the other two include a guy I've known for years and a dude who served in Brazil, too, so it looks like the Semester will be fun on that front.

Next hour I have Family Foundations! A required course on having families. As in you cannot graduate from this institution without taking this class, regardless of your major. And I mean, I can survive the normal-grade talk about how a family is a man and woman legally wed or what have you and I won't get my hackles raised about the Proclamation to the World because I'm cool with that stuff. Like, hip to that jive or whatever. But man oh man, this is Idaho and I know that we'll be going beyond the simple Church definition of marriage to talk about how gay marriage is destroying America and therefore mankind or something, and that stuff turns the gut.

And on the topic of homosexuality, we have a Chik-Fil-A here on campus! The kids here in town treat it like its crack cocaine but I just had it for the first time and honestly? Not super impressed. Between the line, the price, and the quality, I could do without. Probably patronize it on occasion anyway because the sheer lack of variety in this place dictates it, but I'm not going to spend that kind of time in that line again, that's for sure.
Hang in there Corvo! :) Stuff like this never ceases to amaze me, it really shouldn't amaze me because I see this all the time within my family and friend circles back in Utah, and yet it still does. I've said this before that the church really needs to rethink and change how they treat their single adults. Because they're ADULTS not teenagers!

So possible new development? Missionaries in Peru are reporting that new converts need to pay something (either donation or fast offering or unofficial tithe) before being baptized.

http://www.nearingkolob.com/new-mormons-converts-must-pay-baptized/

Probably just a crazy mission president. But I don't like it.
I'm not surprised by this at all. I remember as a missionary there were certain things our investigators had to do before they could get baptized and confirmed. Before baptism they had to come to church a certain amount of times and repent of whatever they needed too, like smoking and what not. After baptism, confirmation was put off until they followed through with other commitments like continuing to go to church, and not smoking and other word of wisdom stuff. I'm sure tithing was part of it too. That was in Michigan so hearing about this happening in a different country doesn't surprise me at all.

CorvoSol

See, the money thing I can't believe, because at least for me, a huge deal was made on our mission about how that wasn't a thing at all. The need for members to fulfill any requirements between Baptism and Confirmation is even weirder because there was a huge focus on getting them confirmed as soon as possible after a baptism. Like, we were told to baptize on Saturdays for the very reason that it meant that Confirmation could take place that Sunday.

Usually anything that made Baptism seem like a transaction in anyway was frowned upon with the uttermost severity on my mission. We had letters coming down expressly forbidding missionaries from so much as offering food after Sacrament meetings to get people to come.

It seems to have been verified from several of different sources, so it sounds pretty legit to me. I'm nearly 100% certain that it's a crazy rule from the mission president, and not from church headquarters though. It will likely be shut down by SLC once they get wind of it (which I'm sure they already have, if it's for real).

CorvoSol

Stuck today and probably for the entire semester in Corvo's Craw:

Family Foundations is just about the worst possible class ever. I don't even know where to begin with my distaste for this mandatory BYUI course, other than that I really don't like it. Its one thing, I feel, to assign students to read talks by the Twelve and the First Presidency or the RS Presidency or even Seventies given in General Conference. Those hold weight, and generally I get reading them. It makes sense in a science class to guide students in the direction of First Presidency statements on the subject because a lot of young LDS kids are going to feel caught up in the middle of the whole science and religion thing and they'll need guidance. I know I did.

But for cryin' out loud why am I reading some Devotional that Elder Nobody gave to The Unnamed Masses on how Individual Rights contributed to the downfall of the American family. I've taken enough research classes in this school to feel that the citations section is sorely lacking. Not a single statistic to even a research poll indicating that Americans actually do see the family as less important. And what's more is that this whole thing brings me to a far more irritating point.

Why does that matter? What, in the name of all that is Sacred, does the public opinion of one single nation have to do with anything? Its time that the faculty embrace the fact that this is a Goddamn global institution now. If I were Brazilian why should I give two shits that Americans don't hold the same opinion of the family? The Brethern have been clear on what a family is, they've even made something in the way of progress in embracing less Cleaveresque families. We've got the Proclamation right here telling us about families. Let's study that. I care what the Prophet and the Twelve have to say. I do not give three flying blue fucks about American public opinion on matters concerning my own religion.

This. Class. Is. The. Stupidest. Thing.

Especially because students at BYU Provo don't take this. Which means Family Foundations is a uniquely Idaho invention.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I expect I will be lying my way through this class because hooooo man I can just imagine the shitstorm that'd come from ever speaking my mind on this subject.

CorvoSol

Just when you say something is the stupidest thing at your school I ask you to up your game

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=582880771837996&id=263195743806502

It was you wasn't it Corvo? You and your high pants.

All I can say is that this Nicholas Dunn fellow understands me completely:

Time for BYU-I to produce a video that compares wearing shorts and showing ankles leaving friends on the battle field. Or maybe letting a friend become a stripper. Something like that. Come on BYU-I, the last video was such a hit! People loved it.

BTW the leaving a friend on the battlefield video is an actual video that was playing nonstop in the cafeteria last year. I don't know about the stripper one, so I'll have to look into that.

Freakin' High Pants. This is some Homestar Runner nonsense.

I should reiterate that my professors in the College of Language and Letters have all been wonderful people who have done a marvelous job and who are largely not onboard with the school's nonsense. Even the French teacher who was a bit of a conspiracy nut was actually really, really cool.

Likewise until this semester all of my religion courses were really wonderful people and I had some amazing experiences in them.

But -this- class is killing me and its only the first week of school.

Fathead

Rexburg. There's no place like it. It has you in its power now, your only hope is to somehow survive. It is likely that your ability to think will never be the same.

alejob

New missionaries in town and they have to make the rounds. They just left, I had to cut the conversation when they asked what kind of things I do to bring God into my life.

ronito

what is it this time? "Wives there's never a time you shouldn't be able to sleep. if you're not able to sleep then you should be baking."?

Furyous

Stuck today and probably for the entire semester in Corvo's Craw:

Family Foundations is just about the worst possible class ever. I don't even know where to begin with my distaste for this mandatory BYUI course, other than that I really don't like it. Its one thing, I feel, to assign students to read talks by the Twelve and the First Presidency or the RS Presidency or even Seventies given in General Conference. Those hold weight, and generally I get reading them. It makes sense in a science class to guide students in the direction of First Presidency statements on the subject because a lot of young LDS kids are going to feel caught up in the middle of the whole science and religion thing and they'll need guidance. I know I did.

But for cryin' out loud why am I reading some Devotional that Elder Nobody gave to The Unnamed Masses on how Individual Rights contributed to the downfall of the American family. I've taken enough research classes in this school to feel that the citations section is sorely lacking. Not a single statistic to even a research poll indicating that Americans actually do see the family as less important. And what's more is that this whole thing brings me to a far more irritating point.

Why does that matter? What, in the name of all that is Sacred, does the public opinion of one single nation have to do with anything? Its time that the faculty embrace the fact that this is a Goddamn global institution now. If I were Brazilian why should I give two shits that Americans don't hold the same opinion of the family? The Brethern have been clear on what a family is, they've even made something in the way of progress in embracing less Cleaveresque families. We've got the Proclamation right here telling us about families. Let's study that. I care what the Prophet and the Twelve have to say. I do not give three flying blue fucks about American public opinion on matters concerning my own religion.

This. Class. Is. The. Stupidest. Thing.

Especially because students at BYU Provo don't take this. Which means Family Foundations is a uniquely Idaho invention.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I expect I will be lying my way through this class because hooooo man I can just imagine the shitstorm that'd come from ever speaking my mind on this subject.

This entire reply hits a little too close to home considering I know return missionaries living there and attending that college.

As a convert, that place scares me. No offense meant at all. I met a recent convert who had to leave that area because there was strong friction between him and individuals in his ward due to his appearance and voice. He came up here and I advised him to go home and get over the death in his family in order to be around a more positive environment. Where here is not important.

Either way, I'm struggling... with everything.

Am I the only old Mormon here? By old, I mean old in church terms as far as not getting married before cut off point of attending single's wards.

CorvoSol

what is it this time? "Wives there's never a time you shouldn't be able to sleep. if you're not able to sleep then you should be baking."?

No its "A single woman who chooses to have a child, regardless of the means, is walking on thin ice" more or less. It was "REAL LIFE PROBLEMS FROM BYUI STUDENTS" except none of them were real problems. The single woman wasn't breaking the law of chastity, she was having a child. Class was making it sound like adoption wasn't good, either, and I dunno. The scenario had real problems, yes. They were 1. A woman shouldn't feel that her happiness is dependent on her procreating, and 2. If she really does want that, then she shouldn't be denied it and expected to live the rest of her life in a family oriented culture while denied one of her own. 3. The circumstances which had driven her to this desperation are certainly problematic, but the reactions to her decisions don't strike me as such.

It all cut a little closer to home than I'd like to discuss publicly, though.

The second scenario was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stupider. Girl A's roommate, Girl B, argues with her about the Proclamation because she was raised by a Single Dad. How should Girl A correct Girl B? Cite Doctrine for your response!

How about Girl A does what literally any Missionary worth his salt does and realizes that preaching to someone who is upset is faux pax number 1? She could have a heart to heart. She could try to understand Girl B's POV. She could just give her some fucking space, but if I was Girl B and I was mad, I wouldn't take to being preached at. Correcting someone is a careful process in Church, and you don't just throw scripture in someone's face and expect it to stick. The entire question is willfully ignorant of Section 121.

But the greater frustrations with the class are more generalized:

1. This shouldn't be required. BYU PROVO doesn't require this. End of Discussion. Because make no mistake: this isn't a run of the mill religion course. This isn't even a class about The Proclamation. This is a class President Clark's set up to pimp his resume. I mean no disrespect to the man but this Semester I've been taking Foundations Capstone and the teacher all but admitted today the class only exists to meet some more nebulous accreditation requirements. My time and money are being wasted for no reason here and I can't get around this class any way but through it. In no way is this related to my major, or any other major on campus.

2. The class presents itself as a one of discussion but there isn't going to be any such thing. In a run of the mill religion class a student may feel safe to speak up and a professor may try to guide the student. If I ever once spoke my mind in this class I cannot imagine the sheer shockwaves it would send out. It presents situations that I think ought to be morally grey areas and asks me to come down on them as simple black and whites. Something which I'd like to point out I rarely ever even had to do as a Missionary.

3. I can't stand this mechanical approach to the Gospel. I just hate having every single thing spelled out and delineated. This is more a problem with BYUI in general. Rather than the school operating on the whole "teach true principles and govern themselves" I feel trapped in Pharisian Jerusalem where, to prevent me from breaking the Sabbath laws are set to govern the mere number of steps I can take. I'm a rebellious young man chafing at the rules, yes, but there comes a point where I feel like I'm going to scream, haha.

This entire reply hits a little too close to home considering I know return missionaries living there and attending that college.

As a convert, that place scares me. No offense meant at all. I met a recent convert who had to leave that area because there was strong friction between him and individuals in his ward due to his appearance and voice. He came up here and I advised him to go home and get over the death in his family in order to be around a more positive environment. Where here is not important.

Either way, I'm struggling... with everything.

Am I the only old Mormon here? By old, I mean old in church terms as far as not getting married before cut off point of attending single's wards.

So here's the thing about BYU Idaho. The school offers smaller classes which can just really, really be great. You get more of the professor's attention and the classroom discussion can really benefit. We have a fair smattering of people from everywhere, and its nice to be able to learn from each other. Its also nice to look at matters from a uniquely LDS perspective at times. This has its pros and its cons.

For instance I really loved the time we spent addressing that you could have a passion for the physical sciences and not need to discard your faith in one class, but it drives me mad when this opportunity is instead wasted for coddling people. Like when I took a class on Climate Change that was actually a class on "Yes it's fucking happening" and not a class on "here's some science, bitches."

Rexburg itself is a double edged sword. It has the charm of a small town in America, and in general the people are friendly either because like you they're just students trying to make it through or they're kindly old people who genuinely welcome lonely young adults to their homes and feed them. But as a small town it can be suffocating at times, haha.

At times the School's affiliation with the Church is a blessing. Elder Holland came to speak to us the other day, and his remarks were something I'd really been needing to hear. The Temple is not five minutes from my apartment by foot. A lot of young people understand problems that are unique to Mormon youth, and so there's a ready support in the area for you when you need it.

At other times though, Culture makes us all sort of crazy. I have nothing personal against President Clark--I've never met him--but I'm sort of creeped out by the softcore cult of personality built around him. You can't question President Clark because President Eyring and Elder Bednar were both Presidents of BYUI and that's a sign donchaknow?

The Honor Code itself is something I originally had no real problem with. After all, I'd signed on to stricter rules as a Missionary. I mean, at BYUI I could even hug girls and wear t-shirts if I wanted! How bad could it be?

But the thing is the Honor Code isn't just what's written on that page. I mean, it is, but its also an accumulation of things not written. For instance, you can't let girls into your bathrooms. This is written nowhere and its nonsensical bullshit. But because someone says its in the Honor Code, it holds the weight of the word of God because there is no telling at all what the penalty for an infraction is, and fear leads one to assume infractions are met with severe retribution. There's just this web of unspoken myths around so many aspects of your day-to-day life that you don't know what's what until you wind up going mad.

And there's the fact that Students are Second Class Citizens in this town, make no mistake. Because we're not state residents we cannot vote, which leaves a select few to make policy decisions regarding the cost of rent in town etcetera that strongly effect us. And if the Student is Second Class, then the Unmarried Student is something beneath that. It may sound petty to make this comparison, but I mean, our internet and television are censored. And the censorship has only been scaled back after great public outcry. When I moved into Rexburg, there was no censoring of TV beyond the obvious "porn and PPV". You wanna watch The Walking Dead? No problem. You want to marathon Bones? No biggie.

But then last year, just before Christmas, they just censored it. No discussion. No warning. No dialogue. Word comes down from on high and everywhere in town must comply. If you don't comply you can lose your school approval which means Students cannot live in your apartments which means you're out of business. If you don't censor TV the school can drive you out of business.

And when I mean they censored our TVs I don't mean they just went through and took out R rated movies. I mean we couldn't watch ESPN or the Disney Channel at first. It took a MASSIVE student outcry to get them to relax the TV censorship. Its still censored, of course. If you want to watch Bones you're gonna have to find a way, but on TV you're not doing it.

And the same applies to your internet here. Its not just pornographic materials that are censored. You wanna look something up in Urban Dictionary? Too bad. That's "Obscene/Tasteless" so you're not looking at that. You want to do research for your school project? Better be using the school's horrible and unreliable library software, because God only knows what will become of you if you access a source that SOME COMPLETELY OTHER UNRELATED PAGE ON THE SITE contains something that might be objectionable to the kind of nonagenarian who thinks ankles are the tits of the foot.

This is life in Rexburg, really. It's a constant battle between what's good and what's horribly constricting. Church can be amazing here. Church leaders have a good deal of experience working with people like you and they can be remarkable people who just really want to make sure you get through this okay and happy and healthy. They can also be like "If you MUST kiss a girl, make sure its standing up and for less than a minute!" There's just this giant mass of rules and regulations that prevent you from ever coming within twenty miles of trouble ever. You can't get in a snowball fight here. You can't text in a crosswalk. There are signs EVERYWHERE in town reminding you of a litany of fines you could incur for crossing the street.

I joke, but in all honesty the only thing to do in Rexburg is get in trouble.

I love the Lord, and I believe in the Gospel, I do, but Rexburg is . . . Rexburg isn't a place I would choose to live.

Fathead

There is a reason I went to the heathen school in Pocatello. The biggest one was that I would rahter have my face eaten by ants than go to rexburg.

CorvoSol

It's hard for me to hate Rexburg entirely. This is the backdrop of beloved stories from my grandfather's childhood. This is where my dad went to school. I know people from here I like.

But at the same time I'm counting down the days till I can shake the dust of this town from my mind.

ronito

While I hate what you're going through Corvo, I can't say I find it surprising.
The thing with the church is that it's one of the few churches left where the rules actually matter (I don't even think I know a single baptist that wouldn't be disfellowshipped in the LDS church and I've known tons of baptists).

But the thing about it is, when you have such strict rules and rituals in a religion then the religion tends to become about said rules and rituals. And that's very much where the church is and will continue to be. And that's just because rules are hard and fast and rituals are physical things you can see so it's easier for people to focus on those than the nebulous, spiritual aspects of the belief. It sucks, true, but, at the same time it's not surprising.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I went to a few days of classes at BYU Provo with my older brother when I was 15 or so. That was enough to convince me I shouldn't even bother applying, it was appalling to me even then. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I actually went there instead of USU...part of me thinks I would have fallen victim to the indoctrination and stayed in the church longer...but another part of me thinks I would have been so disgusted that I wouldn't have even gone on a mission and transferred out.

If living with pre-missionaries and LDS girls straight out of high school felt infantile, I'm not sure how I would have handled BYU. My one experience in Rexburg was visiting my sister there and being told off for wearing a hat in a "dedicated building." Of all the things to worry about, my baseball hat was offending God? Really? God is a real petty dude in the mind of some people. I'm so glad I'm not worried about every thought or action in my life now offending deity. It got to be so depressing

The church is forcing you to take classes that won't let you question the inaneness and mixed messages of the modern gospel? I for one am shocked that they would do such a thing!

ronito

It's conference weekend right?
I suspect this is going to be a fairly quiet conference. No drama or rumors or anything this time around.

CorvoSol

It's conference weekend right?
I suspect this is going to be a fairly quiet conference. No drama or rumors or anything this time around.

The super awesome thing is that this is the first time a foreign language talk is being given in the General Session. I don't think they've ever had someone give a talk in their native tongue and subtitled it.

Super cool to me. I wish it had been thus on my mission.

The super awesome thing is that this is the first time a foreign language talk is being given in the General Session. I don't think they've ever had someone give a talk in their native tongue and subtitled it.

Came here to post about this since it's going on right now. Was super surprised to hear Chinese being spoken and then translated to English.

Cool.

ronito

Was it really chinese? Sorta surprised. It would seem that if any language other than English were to be spoken in conference by rights it should be Spanish. But eh, it's about time the church at least act like its a global organization.

Was it really chinese? Sorta surprised. It would seem that if any language other than English were to be spoken in conference by rights it should be Spanish. But eh, it's about time the church at least act like its a global organization.

Cantonese. And another one was in Spanish.

ronito

I cannot believe the Niel L Anderson like of "The internet does not have a truth filter."

WTF?

YES. YES IT DOES. IT'S CALLED THE INTERNET!
Saying something like this is like saying "there's no truth filter in libraries."

I mean if you read something on the internet and think that something's not true, well, look it up and study some more. You'll be able to find sources proving it or disproving it and you can make your own decision. The church cannot make knowledge its enemy. It will lose every time. Also I love the whole "There are a lot of half truths out there" then not address them or disspell them. It'd be better to just not acknowledge them at all.

Also, I hear you got called out in priesthood session for not getting married yet Corvo. You're on notice for not being anxious enough about it!

CorvoSol

Also, I hear you got called out in priesthood session for not getting married yet Corvo. You're on notice for not being anxious enough about it!

Haha, yeah, but that's every Priesthood Session. I can take my lumps from GAs a lot better than I can from every Sunday from the Stake Presidency. The only talk that made me roll my eyes a little was the one on Saturday that was like "Spiritual Casualness Never Was Happiness."

Sorta sad that Elder Godoi's talk was dubbed over today. I speak Portuguese, and I've met Elder Godoi, and I'd have loved to hear his actual words in his actual language with his actual voice. The conference center apparently threw up subs, and I wish they'd done that in general for Conference because I just kinda would rather hear the voice than the person dubbing.

Was surprised the calling out came from E. Cook, though. Normally they leave that to E. Bednar and E. Holland, haha. I really enjoyed the First Presidency's talks during Priesthood Session the most, though. Especially President Eyring's.

ronito

http://universe.byu.edu/2014/10/05/m-russell-ballard-stay-in-the-boat-and-hold-on/

I didn't watch conference but I'm assuming it's from this talk.

Also me not caring about conference is a little odd. I guess I'm out. Like my transition is pretty much done.

For me it comes in waves. At times I'll turn and tell my wife that I'm surprised how little I've done anything with the church lately. Then other times I'll find myself knee deep in it. Given my wife's family, and my family I don't see us ever getting out of it.

Yoritomo

For me it comes in waves. At times I'll turn and tell my wife that I'm surprised how little I've done anything with the church lately. Then other times I'll find myself knee deep in it. Given my wife's family, and my family I don't see us ever getting out of it.

Yeah. I think part of it is that we've been so open about things that everyone already knows the sort of response they'll get if they try to talk to us about the church.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So I should know better than to poke at the hive, but I couldn't help but comment on the Robbins talk on my facebook. I essentially called him out as a coward for attempting to put himself and leadership above criticism. Boy oh boy was there blowback...you'd think that people would realize circling the wagons and trying to crucify me was exactly proving my point? And that's not a victim complex coming out: there were Ike two dozen posts about me, my tone, my credibility, why I watched conference, etc. before anyone bothered responding to what I said. Just ridiculous.

Then I found out this morning that people in private facebook groups have been outed. I joined one in Phoenix that's private group for open minded, questioning and ex Mormons...nobody can see the posts if they're not a part of the group, and to join you have to be approved by an admin. Still, someone sent screenshots of a conversation about Ordain Woman to the participant's stake president here, and they were notified about it. Then some missionaries on the Mormon Stories group (also private, but much bigger) were outed.

I mean, I would never expect complete confidentiality in these places, but come on people. If you don't like being called a cult, quit fucking acting like one and discourage this shit. Quit putting yourself in Dear Leader territory. Between my recent trip home and seeing how judgemental my family still is (probably less filtered because my wife wasn't with me), and this recent weekend of shenanigans, my righteous indignation is flaming up. I'm losing any hope that the church will change for the better, but rather double down on stupidity and bigotry and cast out those who don't conform...which I wouldn't really care about, but I've got family stuck in the organization, and I see thir kids growing up in it...it makes me ill

ronito

0xigS4B.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
^ that made me laugh

Oh and apologies for my spelling errors, I can only access my gaf account on my iPad so typing is a little rough

A good amount of time at conf. was devoted to living peacefully and having mutual respect for those of different / opposing viewpoints, and I would say that was so for very good reason.

Haha, yeah, but that's every Priesthood Session. I can take my lumps from GAs a lot better than I can from every Sunday from the Stake Presidency. The only talk that made me roll my eyes a little was the one on Saturday that was like "Spiritual Casualness Never Was Happiness."

Sorta sad that Elder Godoi's talk was dubbed over today. I speak Portuguese, and I've met Elder Godoi, and I'd have loved to hear his actual words in his actual language with his actual voice. The conference center apparently threw up subs, and I wish they'd done that in general for Conference because I just kinda would rather hear the voice than the person dubbing.

Was surprised the calling out came from E. Cook, though. Normally they leave that to E. Bednar and E. Holland, haha. I really enjoyed the First Presidency's talks during Priesthood Session the most, though. Especially President Eyring's.

You can get the Portuguese from the site l would assume.

ronito

Meh, all I've been hearing about from mormons is how exmormons are like Judas.
Quoting some guy who said that talking to an exmormon is like "Asking Judas about Jesus."
Doesn't seem like a way to instill harmony.

Yoritomo

About 3 years ago I confided in my wife that I no longer believed in God. It was a dumb way to come clean about my beliefs and needlessly stressful to my wife.

3 years later and my wife just explained to our oldest daughter that her middle name is my wife's new name/temple name over dinner. Not a blink or flinch, just a matter of fact.

I know it might be seen as offensive, but I'm really proud of my family. I'm proud of my wife for trying to understand me and actually understanding me. I'm proud of my daughter for having a willingness to hold fast to a conviction that I helped her form regarding baptism and association with the church.

Reading stories of other mormons and exmormons going through faith transitions I just realize how unbelievably lucky I am.

CorvoSol

You can get the Portuguese from the site l would assume.

Yeah, I asked a friend who immigrated here, and she said that's what she did, so I'll probably poke around so I can really appreciate the talk more.

On the continuing subject of why Family Foundations is the worst thing I've ever experienced, we had Large Group Meeting yesterday and the sister giving the lecture said "the moment my child was conceived I knew I was pregnant and I loved that child."

And that was pretty squick. Like, it's heart warming for your mom to hug you and tell you she's loved you since before we came to Earth, but its weird to say "yeah the moment your paw busted a nut in me I knew he'd knocked me up and I loved you so, so much."

This has taken a turn for the unusual..... But I'll contribute.

I loved you as soon as the antibiotics unknowingly nullified our birthcontrol long enough for you to become a thing.

CorvoSol

Oh Lord, each one more horrible than the last, but none as uncomfortable as hearing it said lovingly into a microphone over a pulpit to 150 20 somethings.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Normally your father would pee between pull out sessions, but this night the spirit confounded his mind and he reinserted right away, allowing his precum to bring you forth, sweet child.

Top Bottom