• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

vg260

Where is that information confirmed? Why would Boon expressly hint towards GGPO if it's not that?

In the announcement video. They make a point to say "similar in function to the GGPO model" and it sounds like they are developing it themselves. To use GGPO they would have to license it.

People use GGPO as a shorthand for rollback-style netcode because it's one of (if not THE) innovator of it. GGPO is a brand. It is to rollback netcode as Q-tip is to cotton swab.

Boon might not have thought too carefully about implying a specfic brand.

If I were the GGPO guys, I probably would be a little irked, especially if it turns out bad and people think it's GGPO.

Xevren

Sign ups are kinda coming up and down, but you can try here. I was able to get my info in, just hope for the best if you can get through the website.

NRS's lack of communication is really starting to get to me. Still no word on whether or not PC version is also getting a netcode fix. Nor are we sure if they'll see the Kombat Pack 2 characters.

I play on PS4 so it doesn't affect me at all, but it isn't right to leave them completely in the dark. SOME kind of comment on it would be nice. Are they just ditching support for that version?

Anyways, I managed to finally sign up for the beta yesterday. Hope I'm able to get it.

vg260

Can they completely change the netcode after the game is done? If so, why the fuck didn't they do this with MK and Injustice?

Rollback is resource intensive, and the old systems likely didn't have the processing power.
Changing the underlying netcode is significant work and is resource-intensive in terms of programming/testing etc.

mdsfx

NRS's lack of communication is really starting to get to me. Still no word on whether or not PC version is also getting a netcode fix. Nor are we sure if they'll see the Kombat Pack 2 characters.
Huh? When did people start to worry about PC getting DLC? We've gotten everything so far.

And "ugh" to them not updated the PC net code. Sucks so bad :(

mdsfx

Yep. Kombat Pack 2 is console only, which leads me to believe the new netcode is also console only. Looks like they've abandoned the PC version due to low player count.

impact

Banned
http://testyourmight.com/threads/nrs-announces-mortal-kombat-xl.58199/page-7

Post #158. Confirmed by the community manager. People became suspicious when Steam release wasn't mentioned in the original KP2 trailer. Now it's finally confirmed they aren't coming to PC.

so why even port the game to PC? 500k+ people own the game on Steam and now they're getting the shaft.

Between this and Batman, WB don't really give a shit about the PC platform, do they? I guess now PC gamers can feel the pain that Wii U owners felt :/

Xevren

I feel awful for anyone who bought this on pc. It was a god damn disaster at launch now you have to put up with this shit...terrible. Sucks I have some good friends that I always go out of town to play tournies with and they're just gonna drop it since they were pc players :(

From what I noticed from the trailer.

Cassie: MK3 Sub-Zero / Pink (alt. color)

Jacqui: MK2 Scorpion / Khrome (alt. color)

Ferra/Torr: New outfit

Ermac: Gold Scorpion/Cold Steel variant

Kotal Kahn: New Outfit

Edit: Oh shit! Leatherface actually has a different alt. xD At first I thought it was just a recolor, and a nod to one of his masks... but then I saw that he has no apron, an open collar, longer sleeves and a longer tie as well. It's completely one of his other designs.

J-Tier

NRS's games just don't have any longevity. Communities die so quickly because they drop support soon after the first few DLCs and jump onto the next project.

Bring on Injustice 2.

vg260

https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/status/689855220935823360

I really don't understand what dev and pub think.
No more support for the game which just been released at 14 Apr, 2015. What the hell?

Pretty simply, they don't think they're going to make enough on selling the content that it would be worth the cost to port it to the PC. Terrible for customers and their fan base, but pretty easy to see their reasoning given the troubled development. To them it's worth the cost or a money-loser. Not defending it, but that seems to be the business reason. I just wonder if they underestimate the backlash from customers against them (WB), NRS and the brand. That could be more damaging, especially piled on top of the Batman mess. This is a fanbase they should be wanting to come back for their next fighter, and they're really doing them wrong here.

I guess there's also a chance that the developer they would need to use to clean up the code/implement/test/QA the new changes was not free for their desired timetable, but that seems less likely than it not being profitable enough for them.

Khezu

They announced the price of KP2.

If you own KP1, its only 20 dollars.

If you don't, there is an XL pack, which comes with both KP1 and 2, and it costs 25 dollars.

Pretty simply, they don't think they're going to make enough on selling the content that it would be worth the cost to port it to the PC. Terrible for customers and their fan base, but pretty easy to see their reasoning given the troubled development. To them it's worth the cost or a money-loser. Not defending it, but that seems to be the business reason. I just wonder if they underestimate the backlash from customers against them (WB), NRS and the brand. That could be more damaging, especially piled on top of the Batman mess. This is a fanbase they should be wanting to come back for their next fighter, and they're really doing them wrong here.

I guess there's also a chance that the developer they would need to use to clean up the code/implement/test/QA the new changes was not free for their desired timetable, but that seems less likely than it not being profitable enough for them.

I agree. One of the big sticking points that I think they should consider (if they haven't)- even if this costs them more money than they had planned, I sincerely doubt in the grand scheme of things it would be worth it for them to ignore this fanbase. At the bare minimum some good PR and "hey guys, sorry, here it is" would go a long way towards making sure some of the people that have supported some of their crappier PC projects might consider coming back-- versus them cutting off those users completely.

TLDR Short term cost vs long term benefit.

Unicorn

500k is a large base but I would bet another 200k were waiting for console parity and the XL to bite. The launch was so fucked and support had been constantly lacking that most people were hesitant to bite. I know u was waiting for either parity or an ultimate edition, but fuck now they get no sale from me.

Imagine how much higher the base on PC would be if it was on parity with consoles since launch. It'd probably be a million seller easy.

Majestad

Banned
Catches a glimpse of Triborg. It looked amazing (basically 3 full characters in one). I didn't see Smoke though, but Cyrax and Sector were looking boss.

Xevren

So excited about Sektor, just wish we got a release date. Wonder if everythings just going to release at once on March 1st.

OMG. I missed the Kombat Kast because I was at band practice and just saw Triborg.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit. So sick. So freakin' sick. Maining him right alongside Kotal.

I really hope we get more MK characters down the line. They've really got some amazing talent on board when it comes to designing gameplay with these characters and I would love to see how they can further reimagine others.

Goddamn, Tri-Borg looks amazing fun. But I only play on PC. Guess I'll have to...

NKSp479.jpg

Khezu

New Beta patch.
Added in Liu, TakEEEda, Jax, and Mileena.

Fixed the rollback bug, so it does it a lot less now, and generally looks way less choppy.
Buffed Mileena, and gave shotgun Jaqui an infinite maybe.

Also Jacqui got a new ugly costume.
eFcT7gA.jpg

RsbPwof.jpg

From Gamestops website.

Top Bottom