• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most EPIC boss fight in gaming?

Stabby McSter said:
Right here. Best finish to a boss fight.

DIES WITH A SWORD TO THE FACE? EPICCCCCCCC
That clinched the game for me. I just remember jumping up and going, "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!" :lol

Saitou

Banned
bud said:
and to top it off - they were brothers.

i loved that one.
One of the reasons I wish they'd just remake MG1 and 2: just for Snake's fistfight with Grey Fox in the minefield. Now that would be epic.

traveler

Not Wario
For those who don't play WoW, here's some pics and a vid to help you truly appreciate the epicness that was AQ's server wide opening event:

wow2_1.jpg

aqposter.jpg

killshot-aqgates.jpg

Awesome Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYzKCy4D5NE

Arsenic

Jeez no one mentioned The Boss in MGS3?

But yeah, with boss fights like the ones in SOTC, its hard to mention that game.

so1337

donkey show said:
That clinched the game for me. I just remember jumping up and going, "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!" :lol
I was more like "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"...

IoCaster

Dracula - original Castlevania (NES)

I think it took me about a week back in 1988 to finally figure out how to kill that bastard. The Frankenstein and Igor combo were a pain in the ass too. Everything since then has been a cakewalk.

Arsenic said:
Jeez no one mentioned The Boss in MGS3?

But yeah, with boss fights like the ones in SOTC, its hard to mention that game.

The fight in the flower field was the most beautiful boss battle ever, but the fight itself wasn't too exhilarating IMO.

But man. Was it beautiful.

Kevtones

Tyrant from the original Resident Evil is another. The game was pretty intense throughout, but when Tyrant was revealed, it was holy motherfucking shit worthy.

The end of Suikoden II with the castle scene was also breathtaking.

Very fond of this encounter as well. The biggest stage WoW has seen. Likely my most memorable as a whole over the last 7 years in the genre, no less.

Not so much the specific gameplay of Eranikus (the dragon), but the whole event as a whole. It was the climax off a week long world PvP war between guilds and hundreds of hours of territory control. Warring over Silithus hives, battling over quest locations, suprise ambushes and raids, a tonne of PvP server politics all the while, and then as a number of plans go into motion to take control of targets, distract enemies, and prepare a defense -- one massive final battle with Eranikus.

eranikus.jpg
eranikus.jpg

Few other shots from the event as a whole just to give a sense of scope to the backdrop for the Eranikus fight. It was different for every server, but if you had a very PvP/war heavy and very large server, it was a epic. Likely my best memory from over 3 years in World of Warcraft, from day one of beta to now.

Wareffort.jpg
swar.jpg

Scarabwall.jpg

bud

Saitou said:
One of the reasons I wish they'd just remake MG1 and 2: just for Snake's fistfight with Grey Fox in the minefield. Now that would be epic.

i'm trying to get into mg1 but, like, bigboobs calls me everytime to say ''oh wait, i forgot to tell you, but blablabla.'' it's a fun 2d stealth game, though. i don't really know if the story picks up or anything but it's practually nonexistent so far which is a bit disappointing.

traveler

Not Wario
KyanMehwulfe said:
Very fond of this encounter as well. Likely my most memorable as a whole over the last 7 years in the genre.

Not so much the specific gameplay of Eranikus (the dragon), but the whole event as a whole. It was the climax off a week long world PvP war between guilds and hundreds of hours of territory control. Warring over Silithus hives, battling over quest locations, suprise ambushes and raids, a tonne of PvP server politics all the while, and then as a number of plans go into motion to take control of targets, distract enemies, and prepare a defense -- one massive final battle with Eranikus.

eranikus.jpg

eranikus.jpg

Is that encounter still possible? Or can we only fight the Shade in ST? I'd like to experience it.

Steroyd

BboyDubC said:
GAF vs. GameFAQs defectors and retarded threads

it's nice for GAF to get together in peaceful harmony now and then talking about games rather than "lolz your console sucks" or "Oh noes Nintendomination with Wiifit"

Arsenic

revolverjgw said:
The fight in the flower field was the most beautiful boss battle ever, but the fight itself wasn't too exhilarating IMO.

But man. Was it beautiful.
It wasnt, but the final seconds of the fight (if you dont kill her that fast) gets really intense, with the snake eater song playing in the background so you know the fight is near conclusion.

I forget what this guy from the Transformers PS2 game was called, but MAN was he huge. A friggin' aircraft carrier, way bigger than this pic conveys. I loved getting into car mode and tearing across the island while he lurched after me.

transformers_050304_03_1083570047.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I forget what this guy from the Transformers PS2 game was called, but MAN was he huge. A friggin' aircraft carrier, way bigger than this pic conveys. I loved getting into car mode and tearing across the island while he lurched after me.

transformers_050304_03_1083570047.jpg

Thats Tidal Wave.

AAK

Nightmare:
Nightmare.jpg

Cerebrus:
Boss_3.gif

Agni and Rudra:
Boss_5.gif

The most frantic boss fights I've ever experienced. Kick ass music tracks as well.

C.T.

Final boss in Shadow of the Colossus (WTF, even bigger and more intimidating o_O)
First moment seeing a colossus close.

Arsenic

C.T. said:
Final boss in Shadow of the Colossus (WTF, even bigger and more intimidating o_O)
First moment seeing a colossus close.
And dark and rainy.

I think it was more intimidating because it never moved from its location. So you had to get to it, which was more frightening the closer you got.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Arsenic said:
And dark and rainy.

I think it was more intimidating because it never moved from its location. So you had to get to it, which was more frightening the closer you got.

It helps that he was practically a skyscraper. SotC had a lot of moments where you were like "Holy hell, I have to kill that thing?"

acuul

donkey show said:
Oh yeah, DC flashback time.

Dark%20Falz%203.jpg

Fighting Dark Falz on very hard with 4 buddies online was insanely awesome. Everyone is just trying to blast the dude to death while trying to survive megid blasts and reviving dead people on the ground was just fun. I miss the epicness of it all.

you're right, what an emotion the first time I reached to join a party to defeat Dark Falz, my friends had to revive me hundreds of times :lol

KyanMehwulfe said:
Very fond of this encounter as well. The biggest stage WoW has seen. Likely my most memorable as a whole over the last 7 years in the genre, no less.

eranikus.jpg
eranikus.jpg

Eranikus event was amazing, we had 400 people from our server on, fighting the dragon and the shades. My little druid was hiding in the inn, popping out to heal random people.

we wiped once, eranikus wiped our server once. The 2nd time we kicked his ass, and it stands as probably one of my favorite gaming moments of all time.

Stuneseht

Metroid prime (Metroid Prime)
Emperor Ing (Metroid Prime 2)
Stallord (Twilight Princess)
the last boss in the Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Error said:
gonna go with a recent one

Odin Sphere (big spoilers btw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXhH77bJy2Q&mode=related&search=

<3 the music

Win. This is what I came in to post.
I spent ten minutes dodging lightning bolts, befor i realized that you could actually reach the top of the dragon.
The preceding fight,
Velvet vs. The Cauldron
was pretty epic as well. Both of those fights showed how awesome a little bit of platforming would have been in Odin Sphere. I hope Vanillaware is already working on a 2-D beat-em up slash RPG slash platformer.

Ganon in OoT was some hardcore shit, and Wind Waker also. I'dd have to choose one of those - my pick is probably OoT though. Pretty amazing stuff.

My dark horse pick is Smithy in Super Mario RPG. Awesome battle, and the music in the battle was awesome.

Bash Nintendo games all you want, but practically every game they make has some kind of awesome boss battle, even if its not super hard. Metroid Prime, in ... Metroid Prime was also sweet. Majora's Mask dude in Zelda, also one full of tension with the moon coming down to time zero - and kicking his ass with Oni-Link.

The big robot dude terrorizing the midwest in Pilotwings 64. Also, Shadow of the Colossus (most of it), Kraid and Ridley in Super Metroid, Lavos in Chrono Trigger, Kefka in Final Fantasy VI, and the big Rock Golem in Mega Man 1.

thomaser

Super Metroid easily takes the cake for me here. The whole last bit was so incredibly badass that I was shaking with exhaustion, wonder and total bliss when I completed it the first time. I still get shivers down my spine just thinking about the last boss-fight, the run-up to it, and the aftermath. The perfect close to a perfect game.

Other notables are the last bosses in FFVI (much due to the music), Zelda OoT/WW/TP and Metroid Prime. And Dracula in Super Castlevania IV, even though he's super-easy.

Chinner

Banned
donkey show said:
Oh yeah, DC flashback time.

Dark%20Falz%203.jpg

Fighting Dark Falz on very hard with 4 buddies online was insanely awesome. Everyone is just trying to blast the dude to death while trying to survive megid blasts and reviving dead people on the ground was just fun. I miss the epicness of it all.

I rememeber fighting him for the first time, it was great and so epic. Having a full party working together and then having the item rush at the end of the battle with the music. Kudos for reviving the memory.

armubaba

Danielsan said:
I came in here to post this.
-The End (MGS3)

QFMFT. Spoilers for the End fight in MGS3, so don't read if you don't want to.

One of the longest, most exciting boss battles for me personally. I think I was playing for about two hours on that encounter alone before I decided to call up my friend (who had lent me the game in the first place) and ask him whether I was doing something wrong, or the battle was supposed to be this long. Well, as I call him I hear a slight breathing noise coming from the TV. I shrug it off, pause the game, and call him up. He tells me that, yes, the battle is supposed to be that long. As a passing thing before hanging up, I ask him why I'm hearing odd breathing noises. He then yells " THE END IS RIGHT ****ING BEHIND YOU! DIVE DIVE DIVE! I unpause and quickly dive, to see a bullet barely missing the top of Snake's head. I turn around, chase him, he gets an asthma attack, and cigarette gas spray the bitch to death. Now that I look back, I got so ****ing lucky in so many ways during that battle. His stamina was super-low at the time, he had an asthma attack, and I barely dived away from the bullet that would've made my two hours go to waste.

God, that was awesome.

bud

armubaba said:
QFMFT. Spoilers for the End fight in MGS3, so don't read if you don't want to.

One of the longest, most exciting boss battles for me personally. I think I was playing for about two hours on that encounter alone before I decided to call up my friend (who had lent me the game in the first place) and ask him whether I was doing something wrong, or the battle was supposed to be this long. Well, as I call him I hear a slight breathing noise coming from the TV. I shrug it off, pause the game, and call him up. He tells me that, yes, the battle is supposed to be that long. As a passing thing before hanging up, I ask him why I'm hearing odd breathing noises. He then yells " THE END IS RIGHT ****ING BEHIND YOU! DIVE DIVE DIVE! I unpause and quickly dive, to see a bullet barely missing the top of Snake's head. I turn around, chase him, he gets an asthma attack, and cigarette gas spray the bitch to death. Now that I look back, I got so ****ing lucky in so many ways during that battle. His stamina was super-low at the time, he had an asthma attack, and I barely dived away from the bullet that would've made my two hours go to waste.

God, that was awesome.

did you know that you don't even have to fight him? he gets replaced by 8 soldiers of the ocelot unit if you kill him beforehand.

armubaba

bud said:
did you know that you don't even have to fight him? he gets replaced by 8 soldiers of the ocelot unit if you kill him beforehand.

Yeah, I actually tried numerous times to kill him on the dock, but I didn't have a sniper rifle, and that made things a LOT harder. I also knew that if I set my PS2 two (?) weeks ahead that would kill him as well. But, in retrospect, I would probably miss out on one of the best gaming experiences of my life had I done that. I'm very happy I decided to actually fight him.

Top Bottom