• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most EPIC boss fight in gaming?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
and may i add

920607_20050106_screen010.jpg

QFT.

The fight didn't need any of that retarded bullshit QTE flash or that usually constitues "epic" -- this fight was epic because it felt like you were fighting against a real opponent, not to mention Vergil could kick your ass in one combo sweep if you got caught. I also liked how the more overly aggressive you fought, the shittier you'd do. Not to mention the cutscene afterward was ace too.

Tenbatsu

donkey show said:
Oh yeah, DC flashback time.

Dark%20Falz%203.jpg

Fighting Dark Falz on very hard with 4 buddies online was insanely awesome. Everyone is just trying to blast the dude to death while trying to survive megid blasts and reviving dead people on the ground was just fun. I miss the epicness of it all.

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah this is the moment!! Stil rem the easiest weapon to kill him is a handgun with high element.

BTW I gt a question to ask...when can I start postin threads? How many post do I nid?

Zozz said:
zmmmajorasmaskaj5.jpg

this guy was a bitch back then, I can't wait to download it on VC to see how easy it is today.

Majora was easy!

Lock on. Hold shield. Run towards masky person. Shield blocks all attacks. Get close. Slice. Repeat. You don't even get hit, the Shield absorbs every blow for you.

Now the water dungeon boss on that game, THAT was hard.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fighting Id & Deus From Xenogears... Deus, Wow.
FFX - Fighting Sin on the airship
Anubis
Freespace 1 & 2 - Lucifer & The Collosus Vs. The Sathanas
MGS 1 and SoTC have all around classic boss fights.

Best by far though, dont know how it wasn't mentioned, was the final boss of Parasite Eve. I have never been more shaken by a videogame than by that mofo. The music, the build up, hell that bastard matures as you fight it. PE needs more respect on GAF.

Steroyd

BTW I gt a question to ask...when can I start postin threads? How many post do I nid?

I think it's 100 posts, or after you've been on Gaf for a certain amount of time, whichever comes first.

Tip: Spelling mistakes always gets ridiculed when new threads are made, so I'd watch out on that.

Best by far though, dont know how it wasn't mentioned, was the final boss of Parasite Eve. I have never been more shaken by a videogame than by that mofo. The music, the build up, hell that bastard matures as you fight it. PE needs more respect on GAF.

:lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155390&highlight=Parasite

Jaagen

The final boss fight in OoT, when Ganondorf transforms into Ganon. I remember playing it as a kid for the first time, nearly pissed my pants because it was so awesome(it's still awesome, the whole scene...castle crumbles, Ganon rising...) In the later days, the battles from SotC comes to mind, and I really did like some of the smaller fights. Of course, the most Epic is the final fight, but I liked the last "bull like boss", especially high speed battling(which was hard, until I found the real strategy to take him out.)

Ashhong

Kevtones said:
OoT finale.

IMO, that battle was too easy to be considered epic. Couple light arrows here, couple slashes there, and your done.

Also, using the Deity Mask in the final battle in Majora's Mask was a huge mistake :lol

Rezbit

I'm going to go with some Demon's Crest love: How about final form Phalanx, and of course the EPIC secret boss the Dark Demon. The Dark Demon is so fucking hard, but has the most awesome organ music playing in the background.

Kaji

One of the most Epic Boss/Moments for me was in Twilight Princess, the battle on the bridge, and then having Link holding his sword high up, was a classic moment.

Mark Rein vs Dennis Dyack?

Well in all seriousness, for me it was that damn vine like beaky thing in the blast furnace of HL1. I died so so many times trying to get around that to turn on the furnace so i could burn it!!! THen again, it was probably the first real FPS i'd played so everything was harder than it should have been :)

Steroyd

Oh yeah how could I forget Emerald Weapon (well the weapon by the Gold Saucer might of been Ruby Weapon) in FFVII I remember trying that guy for the first time and I got WTFPWNED without even throwing a punch ah to figure a strategy to that bastard was hella satisfying.

Sagitario

C- Warrior said:
~Devil Trigger~ said:
and may i add

920607_20050106_screen010.jpg
QFT.

The fight didn't need any of that retarded bullshit QTE flash or that usually constitues "epic" -- this fight was epic because it felt like you were fighting against a real opponent, not to mention Vergil could kick your ass in one combo sweep if you got caught. I also liked how the more overly aggressive you fought, the shittier you'd do. Not to mention the cutscene afterward was ace too.

That one too... loved the music for the scenes before and after the fight...

750px-Arugal.jpg

Arugal says you can take your elaborate raid wusses and 5000 player world event zergs and shove off. You spend the entire zone running away from his asshole minions, working your ass off for the undead cursing his name, enter his keep to find the best paced dungeon in the game, eventually confronting the same nightmare ass sons you lived in fear of for eons; and when you finally get to him, what's he do? He mind controls your tank and teleports away and rapes your face with shadowbolts.

Arugal makes Ragnaros look like a freakin primma donna.

Son of Godzilla said:
750px-Arugal.jpg

Arugal says you can take your elaborate raid wusses and 5000 player world event zergs and shove off. You spend the entire zone running away from his asshole minions, working your ass off for the undead cursing his name, enter his keep to find the best paced dungeon in the game, eventually confronting the same nightmare ass sons you lived in fear of for eons; and when you finally get to him, what's he do? He mind controls your tank and teleports away and rapes your face with shadowbolts.

He also transforms you into those damn Sons of Arugal which then kills your tank or takes your tank and turns him agst your casters :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think Chrono Trigger has my favorite collection of boss fights. Each one had a specific ability that made them all unique. As for any one fight, I think Ganon in Wind Waker.

Son of Godzilla said:
750px-Arugal.jpg

My lvl 40 friend and took him down first shot.

Maybe we were lucky, but he wasn't that big of a deal for me.

Wollan

It's the first true instance for the Undead. A party of lvl 25s is usually the standard group necessary I believe.

Thriller

Together with ragnaros and some other bosses from wow and of zelda i can remember having tremendous problems killing the ubersoldats in RTCW.
Near the end you had to kill 3 or 4 at the same time and then came the final boss that heinrich guy damn was that hard but so f00king cool :D

RtCW4.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Every single boss in Shadow of the Collosus

Kefka - FFVI

Zophar - LUNAR: Eternal Blue

Zellos - Skies of Arcadia

The big ass Final Boss sequence of numerous bosses in Kindgom Hearts II

Metal Gear REX - Metal Gear Solid

Ganon - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Death EGG sequence - Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Fat Cat - Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers (say what you want, when I was 8 years old that shit was fuckin' epic!)

Shagohod and The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3

Rhapthorne - Dragon Quest VIII

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
roxya said:
The End was a great fight, but I wouldn't say EPIC.

Colossus 13 or the final one. 13 because nothing beats the first time you speed alongside and leap onto his wing :D Final colossus, more for the part just before him (being sad that my horse 'died', running through a field in heavy rain with explosions going off all around).

Colossus 13 is easily one of the most intense boss fights, especially because you have to hop on the wing to get up there. Holding on for dear life makes it totally awesome, too.

Jackano said:
I agree. (7th time of the topic if i counted corretcly - PSO wins! :D )
I wish I could have found a better pic of Dark Falz but it pretty much sums it up when people see it and understand what I mean.

Think about it, you run through 4 levels of madness with 3 other buddies online, build a good camaraderie (granted your teammates are decent), and you finally reach a shrine in the middle of a flowered field, knowing this is the end... this is what your team has fought through just to get. Then epicness ensues when you battle the 4 forms of Dark Falz, trying to keep your mates alive while doing the most damage as possible, making sure you hit the button with correct timing, while trying to survive yourself. Even if you die, you still cheer your buddies on hoping they'll get the last hit in. Then your team wins, Red Ring Rico is freed from her curse, and it shows the four of you in some badass pose in the end. EPIC.

If PSU brought back that format as an add-on on top of the existing gameplay, they would win my heart over. I miss those days. ;_;

Llyranor

Does no one else agree that the bosses in Lost Planet (or hard difficulty and above, at least) are insanedly epic and challenging?

Funny thing about The End in MGS3... whenever I replay that game, which is OFTEN because it's my favorite game ever, I always use the trick to kill him at the docks so I don't even have to fight him. Then in his place, you fight three large Ocelot units. I prefer that, it's probably the best place in the game to really utilize your stealth skills, stalking around those three wooded areas like the Predator, killing them all silently.

The End was really cool the first time through. But after that he's a sitting duck.

Llyranor said:
Does no one else agree that the bosses in Lost Planet (or hard difficulty and above, at least) are insanedly epic and challenging?
Don't get me wrong, I loved a lot of the boss fights, especially when it was time to take out Green Eye for some retribution. But they pale in comparison to a majority of these battles.

jax (old)

Banned
armubaba said:
QFMFT. Spoilers for the End fight in MGS3, so don't read if you don't want to.

One of the longest, most exciting boss battles for me personally. I think I was playing for about two hours on that encounter alone before I decided to call up my friend (who had lent me the game in the first place) and ask him whether I was doing something wrong, or the battle was supposed to be this long. Well, as I call him I hear a slight breathing noise coming from the TV. I shrug it off, pause the game, and call him up. He tells me that, yes, the battle is supposed to be that long. As a passing thing before hanging up, I ask him why I'm hearing odd breathing noises. He then yells " THE END IS RIGHT ****ING BEHIND YOU! DIVE DIVE DIVE! I unpause and quickly dive, to see a bullet barely missing the top of Snake's head. I turn around, chase him, he gets an asthma attack, and cigarette gas spray the bitch to death. Now that I look back, I got so ****ing lucky in so many ways during that battle. His stamina was super-low at the time, he had an asthma attack, and I barely dived away from the bullet that would've made my two hours go to waste.

God, that was awesome.

maybe I'm good at MGS3 but I didn't have problems killing THE END.

took 20 minutes - it was fairly easy.ran around, found him, shot the fuck out of him, repeat. he leaves trails.... and you can spot his sniper weapon "reflection"

Steroyd

DY_nasty said:
Not Cool.

Ah to still see fresh reactions to that thread is like a sharp stab in the heart. :(

How could I forget, i thought Lylat wars Andross boss was epic, not the crappy robot one version, the real one,
all those blood sweat and tears, trying to go through the hard route trying to get a perfect run through the levels, to fight the souped up Star Wolf, and then to fight an Andross that at first looked easy then the brain popped out, and it took a hella long time to take him out, then to get out of the ship and follow your dead father out while the base was blowing up from behind you manually instead of it being done for you.

I miss those Nintendo days. :(

karasu

Fighting games own all of this QTE/Pattern recognition crud.

Ryo Sakazaki as Mr Karate in fatal fury Special

Fighting Akira Yuki back in Virtua Fighter 2. That shit was immense. The first time I saw a counter in a video game my mind melted. I mean he countered high attacks, middle attacks, and even low ones. All with real moves.

trilobyte

Onxia. Because getting 40 people to figure out their left from right and odd numbers versus evens is HARDER then the damn fight itself.

Top Bottom