• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most EPIC boss fight in gaming?

TV2007072219593900.jpg

this one was also pretty nuts

Digital Devil Saga 1 Final Boss

Each of those orbs creates an elemental barrier, including one for physical. She recreates one every turn, and each orb gives the boss one extra press turn, for a total of 7 or 8 i believe. It's VERY rewarding figuring out the pattern required to take the bitch down with your parties skill set. Your tactics can vary depending on how you built everyone up too.

Ganondorf's human form in The Wind Waker (his monster forms were disappointingly bad)
Bowser in Yoshi's Island
A motherfucking planet in Sin & Punishment
The final bossfights of Viewtiful Joe 1
Colisseum and General Corrossive from Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Metroid Prime

Scarecrow

bud said:
did you know that you don't even have to fight him? he gets replaced by 8 soldiers of the ocelot unit if you kill him beforehand.
:lol I love when you shoot him in his wheelchair, one of the wheels flies across the lake and smacks you in the head.

FightyF

Banned
bud said:
did you know that you don't even have to fight him? he gets replaced by 8 soldiers of the ocelot unit if you kill him beforehand.

Yeah I didn't even fight him, and found on this forum that you were supposed to.

My vote goes for Adam the Clown in Dead Rising. I was emotionally charged because at the same time, I had a few rescuees and I couldn't let them die, plus I ran out of food and bullets in my gun. So I brought the fight into the kids play area and used those plush chairs to hit him and it wouldn't hurt him. So I what I did was wait until he decided to spray his poisonous gas, and then threw the plush chairs at him, and then he chocked on his own poison because it sprayed the chair! After doing that a few times, it finally killed him and I was treated to the best death sequence in gaming history.

But then when I went to go back to the people I was rescuing, I made the stupid stupid stupid mistake of calling them over, from the other side of the rollercoaster. So they start walking towards me...walk over the tracks and the rollercoaster suddenly came out of nowhere and killed all of them. :(

I never cried in a videogame before, until this happened.

After what happened to Grey Fox, the fight between Solid Snake and Liquid/Metal Gear was pretty fucking incredible in Metal Gear Solid.

128423062_56fa54bd7c.jpg

M. fuckin' Bison people!
The fight starts with him throwing his cape and once it begins it's a hellish fight due to his insane speed and complete dominance of both air and ground. And of course the music kicks ass.

Samus vs. SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
It wasn't too hard a fight but the area was massive and it was hectic trying to get the upper hand.

Final Sigma form (Mega Man X5)
Probably one of the hardest versions in the X series. He takes up the full screen and the player is forced to play very defensively.

Final Boss in Julius Mode (CV: Dawn of Sorrow)
Way better than the fight in the main mode

Zelda TP -> Pretty much every boss fight, really. Among my favorite are : the horse battle with the Bulblin horde followed by the final clash on the bridge, the battle against the dragon on top of the Sky City in the middle of the tempest, the battle against the armored Goron, the sword duel against the Lord Ironknuckle in the Temple of Time, the fight against the flame demon in the volcano, the final battle(s), etc, etc...
In fact, there are very few boss battles in the whole Zelda series that do not feel epic, but TP certainly has the most epic of them all, in my opinion. The setting of each fight is amazing.

armubaba said:
QFMFT. Spoilers for the End fight in MGS3, so don't read if you don't want to.

One of the longest, most exciting boss battles for me personally. I think I was playing for about two hours on that encounter alone before I decided to call up my friend (who had lent me the game in the first place) and ask him whether I was doing something wrong, or the battle was supposed to be this long. Well, as I call him I hear a slight breathing noise coming from the TV. I shrug it off, pause the game, and call him up. He tells me that, yes, the battle is supposed to be that long. As a passing thing before hanging up, I ask him why I'm hearing odd breathing noises. He then yells " THE END IS RIGHT ****ING BEHIND YOU! DIVE DIVE DIVE! I unpause and quickly dive, to see a bullet barely missing the top of Snake's head. I turn around, chase him, he gets an asthma attack, and cigarette gas spray the bitch to death. Now that I look back, I got so ****ing lucky in so many ways during that battle. His stamina was super-low at the time, he had an asthma attack, and I barely dived away from the bullet that would've made my two hours go to waste.

God, that was awesome.
I can relate. I've got a save file set aside for him, and I've done those 1-2 hour slow stalking and waiting fights a handful of times now. It can get pretty intense... just waiting... slowly moving, scanning, moving.. scanning... It begins to rain... and then the sun com...*BAM* ...Shouldn't of took your eyes off the trees.

ksamedi

The one that left the biggest impression on me was the last fight with Gannon in OOT, not only that but the ending of that game was amazing as well.

durden

"Books made me do it"
Zelda vs Gannondorf in OoT,
Ico vs the Queen in ICO,
Rein vs Dyack in the courtrooms of the future

EphemeralDream said:
Samus vs. SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
It wasn't too hard a fight but the area was massive and it was hectic trying to get the upper hand.

Final Boss in Julius Mode (CV: Dawn of Sorrow)
Way better than the fight in the main mode
Very cool choices.

But yea of course OoT final battle and much of SotC.

dionysus

Yaldog
Hmm, seems like we are now averaging five list your favorite xxxxx threads a day. GameFAQs here we come! Mario vs. Solid Snake fight!

dionysus said:
Hmm, seems like we are now averaging five list your favorite xxxxx threads a day. GameFAQs here we come! Mario vs. Solid Snake fight!
Well, I'd take vs. threads over "OMGTASTIC HALO3 water/light/screensho"t-threads any day.

The Flying Sand Snake from Shadow of the Colossus (#13). I loved the fact that you had to use all the skills you learn in the game to defeat the colossus and I just had a really fun time battling it. The music really makes the whole battle seem so grand and epic.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
pancakesandsex said:
TV2007072219593900.jpg

this one was also pretty nuts

Digital Devil Saga 1 Final Boss

Each of those orbs creates an elemental barrier, including one for physical. She recreates one every turn, and each orb gives the boss one extra press turn, for a total of 7 or 8 i believe. It's VERY rewarding figuring out the pattern required to take the bitch down with your parties skill set. Your tactics can vary depending on how you built everyone up too.
is that your cap card? I think that pic looks better than the ones Atlus uses lol.

I came in here to say Skies of Arcadia. The entire ending sequence is the very definition of epic.

Also, this thread has fostered in me an intense need to play Shadow of the Colossus.

I'm going to throw out a dark horse here and say Alma's two appearances in Ninja Gaiden.

The first time, you clear out a monastery with the toughest enemies you've faced thus far. You make it back up to the surface, only to have this freaking shiny demon break through the stained-glass window and hover there in front of you, filling the room with her own light, along with music that can only be described as "unnerving." Then comes one of the hardest boss fights in gaming history.

The second time, you're running across this field to get to Rachel when all of a sudden Doku's spirit form comes flying in after you, chanting in a ghostly voice "Alma. . ." Then you see her with her head all cracked open from her previous pwning at your hands. Then she morphs into this giant fucking monster.

That was pretty epic.

Stormbringer said:
Zelda TP -> Pretty much every boss fight, really. Among my favorite are : the horse battle with the Bulblin horde followed by the final clash on the bridge, the battle against the dragon on top of the Sky City in the middle of the tempest, the battle against the armored Goron, the sword duel against the Lord Ironknuckle in the Temple of Time, the fight against the flame demon in the volcano, the final battle(s), etc, etc...
In fact, there are very few boss battles in the whole Zelda series that do not feel epic, but TP certainly has the most epic of them all, in my opinion. The setting of each fight is amazing.

How can you name all those without mentioning STALLORD!?

Green Shinobi said:
I'm going to throw out a dark horse here and say Alma's two appearances in Ninja Gaiden.

The first time, you clear out a monastery with the toughest enemies you've faced thus far. You make it back up to the surface, only to have this freaking shiny demon break through the stained-glass window and hover there in front of you, filling the room with her own light, along with music that can only be described as "unnerving." Then comes one of the hardest boss fights in gaming history.

The second time, you're running across this field to get to Rachel when all of a sudden Doku's spirit form comes flying in after you, chanting in a ghostly voice "Alma. . ." Then you see her with her head all cracked open from her previous pwning at your hands. Then she morphs into this giant fucking monster.

That was pretty epic.

Everyone seems to get stuck at Alma, but I never really had a problem with her. My hardest boss was always the bridge horseman. I wish the Clone Ryus were harder, they're easier than some of the stuff on normal even on Master Ninja Mode.

roxya

The End was a great fight, but I wouldn't say EPIC.

Colossus 13 or the final one. 13 because nothing beats the first time you speed alongside and leap onto his wing :D Final colossus, more for the part just before him (being sad that my horse 'died', running through a field in heavy rain with explosions going off all around).

Ulala vs. Giant Evila segueing into Ulala vs. BlankTV.

Your music gets cut out during Giant Evila (which completely fucks you over rhythm wise, and it takes that moment to realise how important it was), and after Ulala gets smacked around and all appears to be lost, an acapella version of Mexican Flyer is started, slowly gaining more people and finally the return of the band.

Then after Blank absorbs Ulala into BlankTV the crowd starts chanting Ulala's moves (instead of Ulala repeating), all while the music climaxes.

The only other comparison I have is the lead up to the end of JJF in EBA.

Jackl

The End(I hate newer MGSs and I still love this fight, thats how awesome it is.)

Random RPG bosses. Some are pretty good. Too many to count.

Maggot9

Banned
I never got my people liked #13 more than number 5. I LOVED number 5. When you were in the air there was this really cool burning ember effect.

I always like the Zeromus fight in FF4 myself. I'd played the original FF and some Dragon Warrior on the NES, but FF4 was really the game that cemented a love of RPGs for me.

zeromus.png

The WoW events were kind of fun, but I never really had the patience for the server crashes. I was on a fairly old, fairly full server, and just when things started to actually feel epic, the server went down. So much potential, but personally I ended up really disappointed by it. I didn't really have the patience for that kind of crap, had I not really been into the game and wanted to get into the raiding scene, I think I would have quit well before I did. I doubt I will tolerate that level of instability in an MMO ever again (this was some time ago mind you, it did eventually get better).

world_of_warcraft_world_server_is_d.jpg

NichM

Banned
Surprised no one has mentioned the all-out assault on Luca Blight from Suikoden II yet. An ambush and three squads of intense combat just to wear him down so you can finally kill the bastard.

painey

the answer has to be........

x-atm092.jpg

X-ATM092

The giant (enemy) mechanical crab from Final Fantasy VIII that chases you through town on your SeeD mission, never relenting, under a time limit and following a double boss battle. This entire section was on a demo disk for FF8 which, when I look back, was probably the most intense and enthralled I have ever been in a video game.

darkvir

Kefka -> FF6
Boss -> MGS3
Guildenstein(?) -> Vagrant Strory
The Village Chief -> RE 4

and agree most of the boss fights in SOTC

The entire escape from Groznyj Grad in MGS3.

That has to be the definition of "epic". Chase scenes, rocket launchers, giant robot-tanks, and so on.

Zezboob

Not specially the most epic, but to change from previous answers...

giga_vert.jpg

First time I saw it I was like "ZOMG !".

The others gigas were pretty cool too.

Top Bottom