• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most pissed you've ever been at a game?

Jak 2 drilling platform turret section on hero mode if my tv had ears it would be so offended and if my controller was alive it would claim I assaulted it.

eXistor

Might be State of Decay. I played it on release and was instantly hooked, but after quitting the game and picking it up again the next day my main character and a bunch of other ones had died for some stupid reason (the game keeps "playing" even if you quit and the A.I. takes over). I dropped the game then and there never to be played again. I think they actually fixed that dumb game design decision.

Somnid

You know the worst part? I swear that boss fight had a 15 minute cutscene you had to sit through every. single. time you died and had to redo. I have it engrained in my memory since my roommate was stuck on that battle for like a week straight.

This too. God what a terrible gamestopper to what was otherwise a great game.

Apdiddy

Jak II Turret at Drill Platform. Damn near broke a controller over it.

Batman: Arkham City - "Augmented reality training started. Augmented reality training failed."

Currently, Devil May Cry 1 HD on Dante Must Die mode. What the f*ck was Kamiya thinking? The enemies are more powerful than Dante and you can only cause major damage with
Sparda.

I did, 2nd time waited as a zombie, swapped in my immunes and then got hit with it again. But the 3rd time I tried to keep one a zombie but you still have to revive that character when they go down and guess what attack was used right after that? It's just bullshit because it's not a battle you can play smart, either you go through the shitty process of healing every single turn making the battle 3 times as long and use all your status heal items or just get lucky on the 3rd form.

You know that aeons are immune to Death, right? Just have them finish off the second form and you're golden.

Alavard

First one that comes to mind is the final boss of Persona 3.

First of all, he's got 13 forms. 13!

In his final form, all his resistances go through the roof and he takes significantly less damage from all elements (I think maybe Mighty attacks still did normal). In addition, he gets several times more health in this form. Then, he gains a move that gives him absolute immunity for 2 turns, and rotates into that move every 4 turns, which means you can now only damage him on half of the turns... Man, that is a huge battle of attrition.

So the battle takes 30-45 minutes and then you can still lose. I went through that 3 times before I said 'to hell with it' and spent about 4 hours grinding 15+ levels to make it through.

Kriken

Arkham Origins glitched me while I was trying to grapple to a ledge and autosaved me right before I fell through the floor. This was after 10+ hours into the game and I was just livid

Molemitts

I was playing Pokemon Platinum, walking through the tall grass when I found a shiny Pokemon. I had never seen a legitimate shiny before. Not only was it a shiny, it was a good shiny, it was a Rhyperior (I think? Unless they don't appear naturally in which case it was a Rhydon.) How often do you find a shiny Pokemon which is actually good? It's quite high level and I didn't think I had many Pokeballs, so, I send out a Pokemon and use flamethrower, which isn't very effective and does little damage, as expected. I figure it didn't take that much health off so I do it again AND...
CRITICAL HIT!

FUCK YOU GAME. RIP my actually good shiny Pokemon. I was this close to crying.

one_kill

Doing time trials in NFS:HP
Random cars behind corners

I broke my PS3 controller because of how pissed off I got trying to get Platinum medals
Also superficially damaged my right hand by punching my chair a few times

Aurongel

Final Fantasy X:

FFX_Chocobo_Racing_1.jpg

The Stig

GFWL lost an arkham city save with 45 hours play time and 90%+ progression

Fuck you, GFWL. Fuck you so much and for so many reasons.

Fliesen

i must have spent 10 hours on Shadows of Mordor now trying to get a lvl 25 rune and i keep getting epic ones (even though i don't do death threats) ...

a trophy based on getting the "2nd best" loot is ass... :(

EDIT: hooray!

Aces&Eights

More mad at myself but I'd have to say Fallout New Vegas. I always use 3 rotating saves and I got all the way to the end where you are in the camp. The game told me there was no going back and I was ok with it. Beat the game and then waited for the dlc. Well, the dlc is programmed to be used prior to the point of no return meaning I couldn't play it with my current character as I was stuck in the last area. Wtf? I have to start a whole new game and lose 230 hours and all my stats and gear if I want to play it? FUCK! I still to this day have never played the NV DLC and yes I know how awesome it is.

ttech10

<picture>

I don't think I've ever been angier than during my play through of COD:WAW on veteran. each level would take me near a day to agonizingly crawl through hoping for a new checkpoint. the grenade spam was real.

Easily this. That stuff was insane.

Modern Warfare 2 by a country fucking mile. Boggles my mind how there's actually a number of people here on GAF that think that game had the best multiplayer of a modern CoD. What's wrong with you?

krizzx

I cannot pick one game for this.

It will suffice to say any game that has ever been needlessly altered to appeal to a different demographic those who were fans of the I.P. prior.

I especially hate when franchises change developers and the followup game is nothing more than a namesake cashin like Deus Ex: 3, DMC and the newer Tomb Raider.

I remember hearing about how great Ninja Gaiden was, so I was pumped to play it.

Off screen shit hitting you
Camera issues
Slowdown

Oooooh, it's one of those games. Money well spent :^I

Blimblim

The Inside Track
For me by far it was the rubberband AI in Burnout 3 Takedown (IIRC, one of the latest on the OG Xbox). Basically for some of the most advanced duels the only way to win was to do a perfect race. And by perfect I mean stay right behind the AI until the last corner, and then and only then go for the win. Being in front at any point would put the AI in such a mode that it would be unbeatable.
Some races were 5 minutes long (again, IIRC), and even one mistake meant you'd lose. And of course there were some blind corners where you had no choice but to hope there wouldn't be a car coming, basically you had a 50/50 chance of making it or not. If you crashed, the AI was not going to wait for you. So it all came down to both "perfect" driving, plus random luck.
This is the only time in my life I ever smashed a controller, and it was a OG Duke Xbox controller at that. The controller was broken, but I think the concrete wall took even more damage.
Nothing worse than having to work around a cheating AI in a racing game.

Krelian91

Having to destroy junk with the Bob-ombs in the first Super Mario Galaxy certainly comes to mind, especially the second time.

Final Fantasy VII. There's a part in the game after you first meet Aeris that you're supposed to walk through a junkyard on your way to the next city (where Cloud goes undercover as a woman to infiltrate a palace and rescue TIfa). I had no idea how to get through the area, and was stuck on one seemingly dead-end section. I spent three hours walking around looking and grinding my way through enemies that I got so angry I turned it off and returned it to the store I rented it from.

Found out a long time later that there was a wooden plank that you had to walk over to advance to the next section, and I never figured out how to progress past that obstacle. Probably the dumbest moment I've ever had as a gamer.

GoxRx

In the last few years there are 2:

Max Payne 3 on hard difficulty.

It was not the hardest mode, but at some points I just wanted to destroy everything. I have never destroyed a controller but that game almost made me do it. The worst part was that I did not even liked the game, I was disappointed(I loved mp1-2) and I just wanted to get to the end. Plus, you CAN'T SKIP THE DAMN CUTSCENES.

Also, COD World at War on veteran. Those motherfucking grenades man. Unbelievable.

TriAceJP

Probably last night when my roommate and I tried to complete the event in Smash where you need to play as Fox and Falco and stop the falling Mr. Game and Watch characters from landing.

We got it on normal but we went for hard because we hate ourselves. Neither of us use those characters so it's a real challenge.

Some swears may have been yelled at 2 am. Constantly. Sorry, neighbours.

Playing through metal gear solid 2 on the hardest difficulty getting dog tags, get to the harrier fight, die and turn off the game. Completely forgot to save throughout the whole playthrough. So pissed at the game, but it was my fault

I've been pretty mad at quite a few games, but Assassin's Creed III takes the cake for me. Endless, endless tutorials and it somehow controlled infinitely worse than its predecessors. I'd try playing it to take a break from being mad at people in Call of Duty, but I'd end up much, much more angry with this game in its entirety.

Dunan

First one that comes to mind is the final boss of Persona 3.

First of all, he's got 13 forms. 13!

In his final form, all his resistances go through the roof and he takes significantly less damage from all elements (I think maybe Mighty attacks still did normal). In addition, he gets several times more health in this form. Then, he gains a move that gives him absolute immunity for 2 turns, and rotates into that move every 4 turns, which means you can now only damage him on half of the turns... Man, that is a huge battle of attrition.

So the battle takes 30-45 minutes and then you can still lose. I went through that 3 times before I said 'to hell with it' and spent about 4 hours grinding 15+ levels to make it through.

If it makes you feel any better, my game actually bugged when that fight was more than three-quarters over, and the boss never changed out of its invulnerable form.

Almost gave up on the game. Then I got right back on the horse, finished it, and
read the supposedly canonical interpretation of the ending, and mentally gave up on the game.

Also, Mupod, great Chrono Cross rant. You encapsulated just about all of my thoughts on that game, which was the ultimate mixture of sublime greatness (the soundtrack; the ingenious auto-generated accents) and utter garbage. I never did finish, and don't think that I really want to.

Edit: And my answer to the question: the colossal, multi-year-anticipation-betraying disappointment that was Assassin's Creed 3. So much they could have done with that game that they didn't, and so much that they didn't need to do but did.

12 hours into Dark Souls.

No deaths.

Mid battle, rolling around to avoid hits, roll right off a cliff.

Threw my PS3 controller out of my DORM ROOM WINDOW.

I'll never let that sort of rage get over me again.

Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate. I cannot stand to constantly lose in that game. I can't learn it and I've been trying for years. I got so man I snatched it out of my console and snapped it in pieces. Never have I ever gotten so mad at a video game in my life.

jimi_dini

Jak II Turret at Drill Platform. Damn near broke a controller over it.

At least there is a glitch to get around it (well to skip the drill platform).

Batman: Arkham City - "Augmented reality training started. Augmented reality training failed."

Haha, yeah that's burned into my ears.
At some point it clicks and I can do those all the time. And now I'm replaying it on Wii U and I'm "Augment reality training started. Augmented reality training failed" again.

I got another one:
ZombiU. "I didn't see that coming" ... 5 minutes later ... "I also didn't see that coming, fuck fuck fuck I lost all my gear"

Aaaannnddd I got this one:
GTA IV - "Now we must drink and forget the bloodshed!". "Now we must drink and forget the bloodshed!". "Now we must drink and forget the bloodshed!". Fuck you Rockstar for making me doing this crappy mission over and over and over just for that silly Platinum.

petran79

Banned
Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams

World 3 (pre-patch version required 3/5 stars average per stage) was so difficult and frustrating that after I reached the final boss after endless hours of shouting and cursing, I was too tired and fed up with the game to beat him. So I left it there ever since.

this actually tought me a lesson, so when later I played They Bleed Pixels and stuck at world 4-2, I stopped playing.

ohkay

Final Fantasy Tactics

The battle against Wiegraf/Velius had me pounding my head against the wall. I didn't have any saves outside of the castle the battle was in, so I'd have to start a new game if I wanted to level my characters. I think I spent a week trying to win this one battle until I decided that it wasn't worth it and put the game down. I came back to it a month later and beat it on my first try. Thankfully I did because it's one of my favorite games ever.

Alszem

LBP3 on PS3. Buggy mess that made my system partition to go corrupt after too many hard resets. Now, I can't do anything with my hard drive.

After playing Minecraft fro hundreds of hours you eventually have one or two experiences with loosing tons of valuable items to lava...

Don't be greedy kids.

.J.

Banned
This flippin' witch right here:
kma5pl.jpg

Alma from Ninja Gaiden Black on the XBOX was a controller thrower, for sure.

Top Bottom