• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most pissed you've ever been at a game?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Making the run from the start of 4-2 to Old Hero over and over in pure black world tendency in Demon's Souls.

correojon

Will always be this....

Vzj1esa.png

Shouted at my mom
Shouted at friends
Shouted at it
What's about this? I've seen in it many GAF posts, and played all classic Sonic games yet I can't remember it...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What's about this? I've seen in it many GAF posts, and played all classic Sonic games yet I can't remember it...
I think this is a little elevator thing. Jumping on it makes it float up and down a little, but not far enough to get to where you need to go.

The game gives you no indication that you're supposed to stand on it and press down.

Final Fantasy VII. There's a part in the game after you first meet Aeris that you're supposed to walk through a junkyard on your way to the next city (where Cloud goes undercover as a woman to infiltrate a palace and rescue TIfa). I had no idea how to get through the area, and was stuck on one seemingly dead-end section. I spent three hours walking around looking and grinding my way through enemies that I got so angry I turned it off and returned it to the store I rented it from.

Found out a long time later that there was a wooden plank that you had to walk over to advance to the next section, and I never figured out how to progress past that obstacle. Probably the dumbest moment I've ever had as a gamer.

This got me bad too. I played through VII for the first time like 2 years ago and got to that part. Spent ages figuring out where to go and had to send my mate a text saying I was stuck. He almost instantly text back saying 'Is it in the construction yard? There's a ninja plank you've to go up'. It must be one of those parts everyone somehow manages to get stuck on.

joecanada

I expected the first post to be Unity

How can you be pissed when you expected it to be shit? Lol

For me bf4 by a mile, played the shit outta 3, they could have copied it for all I cared. Nope, complete and utter shit until may 2014...
And what's worse is there was an army of posters on this forum continually telling people it was fixed. I wish the could have been banned, it was borderline Astroturfing at best.

ViviOggi

Nowadays I get mad at Dota and Hearthstone but the only time I actually damaged something was when I couldn't beat Super Rugal in Capcom vs SNK 2 EO and smashed my GameCube controller on the floor so hard that it broke in two

Also Yoshichan thread

Sawneeks

Banned
Earlier today I got to the Defense of Karabor Scenario in WoW. After about 10 wipes and 70k gold in repairs I now know how much of a thin piece of paper my Shadow Priest is.

I beat it...but I was about 1 more death away from just stopping.

Recently....Destiny. Where was this big expensive game that took all that time and money to make? Felt like about 1/3 the unique content of a regular triple A game. Ewww.

But my ultimate most pissed is still the lightning dodge in FFX. I was up to 93!

I did not throw my controller. I stood up, very firmly placed the controller on the floor and walked away. I control my behaviour very carefully at all times, so for me, that's the same as someone else kicking their foot through the TV screen.

fester999

Neo Member
Ni No Kuni. Final boss, final form had to make one more hit and got killed by a cheap shot. This after at least an hour trying to defeat the boss. Literally wrenched the disc out of the drive threw into the garden like a Frisbee then traded it in immediately. Never went back obviously.

Greendog

Neo Member
Parasite Eve 2. I don't even remember if it's the final boss or just some random boss, but it was this thing which would change its form during battle and at a certain point it would release a kind of 'tentacle' which would open in two halves and flash some lights, from which I couldn't defend. I believe I tried to beat this motherfucker for two days until I smashed the CDs in my backyard.

EDIT: yup, final boss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OEbghLLkQ

son of a bitch '-'

Man Parasite Eve 1's final boss was even worse. After a semi hard battle she trantransformed into a crawling death machine thay required you to run away from and if it touched you it was automatic game over. So frustrating.

Probably not the same context as most people in this thread but mine is socom 3. I hated it so much and I was so angry with the direction they took the series that I literally threw it in the toilet. My brother went in to use the bathroom later and was so confused.

Fighting the Serpentarius in FFXII and being killed constantly because, after being killed onceand resurrected, my chars would waste time putting the weapons away and pulling them out, causing them to die again and again. Only time I've ever thrown my controller in frustation.

GamerJM

Banned
I think.....that one boss in Force Unleashed where the game basically gives you false instructions. I think it was also glitchy and the whole level just felt kinda screwed up. IIRC it was the second to last level. It was just awful design.

That game is upsetting because it's a fun game; force powers are a lot of fun to play around with and the combat itself is pretty cool. But it's just so poorly designed in so many areas. I've played much worse games, and much much much more difficult games, but I don't think any of them were as frustrating as it because of the juxtaposition of a handful of really shitty design decisions on top of a fun engine.

Mahonay

Banned
Halo 2. Tore off my headset, threw against the wall and broke it after a run of bullshit moments.

One of the NBA 2K games from the past few years. I can't remember which one (I get it almost every year). My team refusing to make a basket, or a pass with out turning the ball over. Whilst the AI team is hitting any shot that goes up and making impossible cross court passes. Spiked my controller on the ground. I was shocked I didn't break it.

Otherwise I don't get too bad with games besides cursing at the screen sometimes. My temper used to be way worse when I was younger, when I was intensely competitive in any game I played.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Playing destiny week after week, leveling like a maniac, getting in early in Vault of Glass trying to get my character to 30, only to not get a single armor piece drop in 9+ raids while I watched my way more casual friends get piece after piece, hitting 30 before I got any armor piece. Eventually I ended up leveling a second Warlock so I could do the raid twice. After about twenty raids and only eventually getting one piece towards the end I decided I had enough of the shitty RNG. I would have had to spend over a year in total doing the raid twice a week to hit 30 at the rate I was going. Fuck that game, man. Still makes me angry thinking about it.

I think.....that one boss in Force Unleashed where the game basically gives you false instructions. I think it was also glitchy and the whole level just felt kinda screwed up. IIRC it was the second to last level. It was just awful design.

That game is upsetting because it's a fun game; force powers are a lot of fun to play around with and the combat itself is pretty cool. But it's just so poorly designed in so many areas. I've played much worse games, and much much much more difficult games, but I don't think any of them were as frustrating as it because of the juxtaposition of a handful of really shitty design decisions on top of a fun engine.

I kinda felt the same way about it. I must have played through it a couple of times just because it was fun to play, but I hated the way they just redone all the levels, it seemed pretty lazy. I was really hoping the sequel would fix the first games problems and we would get a classic, but i heard that was not the case lol

Novocaine

Most recently, Lords of the Fallen pissed me the fuck off. Enough so that I rage quit and I will not go back.

Overall WoW probably made me rage the most, trying to organize a raid full of people who don't listen can really get on your nerves.

Playing destiny week after week, leveling like a maniac, getting in early in Vault of Glass trying to get my character to 30, only to not get a single armor piece drop in 9+ raids while I watched my way more casual friends get piece after piece, hitting 30 before I got any armor piece. Eventually I ended up leveling a second Warlock so I could do the raid twice. After about twenty raids and only eventually getting one piece towards the end I decided I had enough of the shitty RNG. I would have had to spend over a year in total doing the raid twice a week to hit 30 at the rate I was going. Fuck that game, man. Still makes me angry thinking about it.

I bought destiny and played through the campaign thinking it was pretty good, but then I realised that from then on it would just be grind to get anything more interesting. Pretty appalling really, the raids sounded cool, but I do not want to have to play the same few levels over and over for hours just to level up enough so that I could play them.

Astral

The Ruin Sentinels in Dark Souls 2 on my soul level 1 run. I've never raged so much. I wanted to tear my controller in half.

2mad2behere

Neo Member
Played the HALO:MCC collection HALO 2 campaign trough with legendary with my roommate. 3 levels didn't register as played and 3 times a level froze in the last stretch. This is the latest that I was really pissed off.

I have never played this game but keep seeing this image and have always wondered what is going on. Is there a video which explains it.

Basically, up to that point in Sonic, Up on the D-pad was never used. You needed to press Up and Down repeatedly there to progress and it blew a bunch of kids' minds. What made it worse was the fact that plain jumping looks barely possible so most just tried that. It took me about half an hour to figure it out when I was younger.

To answer the OP, Mario Party (several occasions) and Mario Kart Wii (when I cared about VR).

ghostjoke

Banned
I wanna be the guy.

For those who have not played it, google it. Its free and will run on allmost any PC.

You're chaotic evil for recommending people do this. Also, on really old hardware it can become easier at times because areas like birdo end up spawning the platforms quicker.

DJMicLuv

Had a glitch in Deadly Premonition on 360 which made the game unfinishable (something about a key not spawning, it was a known glitch). After 20-30 hours of gameplay I was a little bit miffed by that to say the least.

I don't personally get pissed at games or anything, but my older brother once threw a chair across a room after losing to a boss in one of the Final Fantasy games like 12 years ago.

Ultratech

S3&K Special Stages; the last few had me in fits as a kid.

SSBM: Trying to get the Crazy Hand trophy (Beat Adventure Mode on Hard/Very Hard without using a Continue.) Made super difficult in that it doesn't take much to screw it up.

Ghost and Goblins: You know why.

steveovig

Mario Kart 8 is the most recent game that has riled me up. I tried playing online and most of the time I'd end up swearing and pissed off because of the results of the races. I've never seem to place in the top half and I haven't touched the game since June because of this. I can't bring myself to get rid of it even though I doubt I'll play much of it in the future. Strangely, I had fun playing online Mario Kart 7.

Jabba

Banned
Threw Dreamcast in my tub I had filled with water for anger purposes. The game was Test Drive Le Mans. Was really fucking angry at TDL.

The Judge

Will always be this....

Vzj1esa.png

Shouted at my mom
Shouted at friends
Shouted at it

image.php

Yes, this is the one.

Also, maybe misdirected anger, but when my memory card got corrupted (thousands of hours wasted) while I was trying to load some random game save file. Not the game's fault, but I sure put all the blame on them.

He brings out his knife

you find a corner and cower with your gun trying to find him ;)))

When I did my proper Elite run, I played for two hours one night before giving up and try again the next morning. Took almost two hours again, but when I finally did it I was so happy. I can't remember what strategy I ended up using, it's all a bit of a blur. Either way, I'm pretty proud of that Killzone 2 platinum trophy. :)

Obrek

Banned
I was 7 or 8 years old. I rented Punky Skunk (PS1) for a weekend from our Blockbuster.

The game was fun for awhile, but there was some sort of insane difficulty spike for me as a kid and I got stuck on one of the last levels for hours. I stayed up all Saturday night in my living room, which I wasn't supposed to be doing, trying to beat the game and I couldn't get past the last few levels.

I cried. I screamed into a pillow. I beat my controller with my fists. Angriest I have ever been at a video game. Not my finest moment.

El Jaffe

If it makes you feel any better, my game actually bugged when that fight was more than three-quarters over, and the boss never changed out of its invulnerable form.

Almost gave up on the game. Then I got right back on the horse, finished it, and
read the supposedly canonical interpretation of the ending, and mentally gave up on the game.

Also, Mupod, great Chrono Cross rant. You encapsulated just about all of my thoughts on that game, which was the ultimate mixture of sublime greatness (the soundtrack; the ingenious auto-generated accents) and utter garbage. I never did finish, and don't think that I really want to.

Edit: And my answer to the question: the colossal, multi-year-anticipation-betraying disappointment that was Assassin's Creed 3. So much they could have done with that game that they didn't, and so much that they didn't need to do but did.
When I was playing the PSN version earlier this year it crashed seconds into the cut scene after beating his "final" form
Not counting the "battle" in the moon.
. I didn't go back to it for a week.

When me and my best friend attempted to do the Annual Vidmaster in Halo 3 with our elementary school little brothers. I'm surprised no one was hurt with all the tension between everyone.

Will always be this....

Vzj1esa.png

Shouted at my mom
Shouted at friends
Shouted at it

I could NEVER figure it out when I was 10, so I'd always use the debug cheat to bypass that stupid barrel... 20 years later and I can't believe how simplistic the solution actually was, lol.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but these moments I remember pissing me off to hell and back:

Goldeneye - 00 Agent Facility Time Challenge.
- I tried so hard to complete this challenge purely because it unlocked the best cheat in the game. But god damn was it hard! It wouldn't have been so bad if there had been a consistent pattern, but that fucking Doctor would always switch rooms.

Jet Force Gemini - Last Boss.
- I don't remember much about this boss. I've only ever completed the game once, and that was back when it was released, but I do remember wrecking a controller trying to kill him. I don't remember if it was the frame rate, the challenge, the tricky controls, or if it was a combination of all three.

Mostly it was the N64 era of games that pissed me off the most because I felt like the frame rate and mechanics were letting me down.

Back on the ps2, def jam: fight for ny. Against fat joe. I think that's the worst I've been pissed.

Next runner ups, umvc3 and ttt2 online

Man. The only game I still really rage consistently at is Tekken Tag 2, online. Especially after a really bad day... being a semi-decent player and losing 5 or 6 times in a row just fucking sucks, especially when a few of those losses are because of lag.

Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate. I cannot stand to constantly lose in that game. I can't learn it and I've been trying for years. I got so man I snatched it out of my console and snapped it in pieces. Never have I ever gotten so mad at a video game in my life.

DOA5U is great... just don't put me up against any of those fucking ninjas. Seriously, they feel like they belong in a different fucking ninjas-only fighting game. I really hate when I'm trying to play really technical with Jann Lee or the MMA chick and motherfuckers come in are like "Nope, backflips are faabullouusss!!"

I've found I don't really rage these days, unless something else in my life is stressing me out as well. It used to be a lot worse when I was a kid (I think I remember crying trying to beat Master Norg in FFVIII), but my neighbor actually came upstairs a few weeks ago to ask me to stop screaming at the top of my lungs at Catherine.

Top Bottom