• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

pixelbox

Another complaint is the Evolution somehow missed the mark on muliple routes in the track when most of the time the track is dramaticly different every lap. On top of that there are different routes for the classes, most relying on their new air cooling mechanic. While lighter vehicles have more options they are also weaker and have way less boost so the higher route keeps them safe and full of boost. Likewise heavier ones have the low route that doesn't have all the twists and debris. They are usually wider too.

And then there's people who complaint about too much shit going on and can't see the track. The rules to racing have not changed, as one said earlier it all boils down knowing the track. Memerising it well. Just because there's smoke and shit in your way doesn't mean the track is different behind it. And as i stated earlier the vehicle's physics have to be more forgiving. A centerblock would rip your car apart and had they used the older versions you wouldn't be able to race pure and simple.

The point is you can't campare this to any of the MS's. They all have their own unique gameplay and it pain me to see people happy with the same old shit with a new skin. Look at what the game is offering before writing it off as being some off the wall iteration destroying it's roots. I love the fact that this game as well as the others doesn't take away from each other, i could go back to any of 'em without thinking is inferior to the newer one.

When you have to explain what they are trying to achieve it just confirms they messed up. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They changed a formula that worked for something that turned people off. There are a few that like it but critically the game is the lowest scoring of the 3 for good reason.

pixelbox

Kenshin001 said:
When you have to explain what they are trying to achieve it just confirms they messed up. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They changed a formula that worked for something that turned people off. There are a few that like it but critically the game is the lowest scoring of the 3 for good reason.
...Or it could mean you hate change. I've understood it when i played the MP demo so how come you're having trouble with it's concept? You outright refuse to have it any other way. The games are different. Yeah, we get it. And that's what a sequel really should be. If you don't like it, fine. But you can't say the game is crap either.

Dibbz

I agree with pixelbox. Someone mentioned Burnout on the previous page and how it is similar to MS. I think it is similar in more than a gameplay sense. Both companies, Evo and Criterion, are not afraid to reinvent or scrap ideas they've previously had.

Like pixelbox said above, you can go back to any Motorstorm and enjoy them in the same way you can go back to any Burnout and enjoy it because they offer something unique in each game. It's not saying the games reinvent themselves over and over, the core is still the same, it's more that they start from the drawing board whilst retaining what they'd learned over the previous games. In the end you get a game with fresh ideas and refined gameplay design.

I guess some people would prefer a reskin (that's why cod is so popular after all) than something that tries to improve itself.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kenshin001 said:
They changed a formula that worked for something that turned people off.
And they changed the formula that most likely turned people on as well, it works both ways :) I'm one of those persons. I own both Motorstorm 1 and Pacific Rift, but i only played those games for a fraction of the time compared to how much i have played MS:A. Dont get me wrong, the first two Motorstorm games were good too, but they did not have something that kept me playing them for hours and hours without getting tired of them. Maybe my opinion would be different if i had invested some more time into them, but i strongly prefer MS:A over the previous MS games from what i have played at least.

Kenshin001 said:
There are a few that like it but critically the game is the lowest scoring of the 3 for good reason.
I would not be surprised if the reason is that many reviewers focused on the single player aspect of the game instead. I.e the Gametrailers.com review mentioned that there were no destruction online, which clearly isnt true. The reason why they belived this is probably because they didnt invest enough time into the multiplayer. The destruction is only triggered by the race leader and some tracks have no destruction, but even if you're not in 1st place to see it, you can notice the destruction regardless. Maybe it isnt something that you pay too much attention to to begin with, but it is still there.

The previous MS games might have had more stuff regarding single player, but on the multiplayer side it is different. So i think that it is a bit pity if the reviewers didnt focus enough on the multiplayer in MS:A.

If reviewers did not enjoy the twitchy loose controls, embarrassing cutscenes and cluttered tracks in SP they probably wouldn't bother with MP. I didn't either bother finishing the SP because it was awful and there are better games to play. Didn't touch the MP.

As far as hating change, Uncharted 2 improved a lot on the first and is one of my favourite games. Apocalypse did the opposite. Not sure where Evolution can go from here because the game reviewed worse than its predecessors and I believe its sales were absolutely dismal. None of my gaming friends ordered it despite owning previous games, though being in Japan didn't help.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kenshin001 said:
If reviewers did not enjoy the twitchy loose controls, embarrassing cutscenes and cluttered tracks in SP they probably wouldn't bother with MP. I didn't either bother finishing the SP because it was awful and there are better games to play. Didn't touch the MP.
What do you mean with twitchy controls? The controls are super responsive in my opinion. Maybe it is because i use the d-pad instead. Using the analog stick is more difficult for me.

That you didnt touch the MP makes me understand better why you have your opinion. You should really give it a chance if you still have the game. Playing against real people, having to select perks, getting rewards, unlocking vehicles are some of the main reasons why the multiplayer is so fun (at least in my opinion) and all these things are absent in the single player.

But a review is afterall only one (or several) person's personal opinion about a game. That is why we see that review scores and opinions can variate a lot.

Kenshin001 said:
As far as hating change, Uncharted 2 improved a lot on the first and is one of my favourite games. Apocalypse did the opposite. Not sure where Evolution can go from here because the game reviewed worse than its predecessors and I believe its sales were absolutely dismal. None of my gaming friends ordered it despite owning previous games, though being in Japan didn't help.
Once changes are done, it is near impossible to make it so that everyone likes it. It can go both ways. Pity to hear that the change was for the worse in your case. For me personally i am glad that the changes were made since it made the game very enjoyable for me :)

How much did it sell by the way? I never have problem to find people online at least.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have yet to see a racing game that excels in online and offline modes. I didn't like Apocalypse until I tried the online modes. There are even tracks where it feels very close to Pacific Rift, which is still my favorite Motorstorm. But PR's online mode on the other hand is way worse than Apocalypse's. But its offline modes are a lot better.
There are many other racers that are like this. Blur for example is incredibly boring offline but one of the best online racers. Split/Second is pretty shitty when you play online but great when played offline. I think a good online mode has much to do with a good ranking system. And in Motorstorm's case, not having to deal with the unfair AI.

Thrakier

I like it that now you are forced to only a handful of vehicles in online mode sometimes. This makes everyone choose different cars than the standard ones. Spices things up.

Is there a way to turn down the custom soundtrack volume? It's waaaay to loud, even on -4 on the custom player. I barely hear the engines.

Goldrusher

Just finished this. Well, the story mode.

Lots of FUN! And much easier than the previous games. If any of you complain about the AI in Apocalypse, you haven't played Pacific Rift.

The story is a little cheesy, but the prologue and epilogue stages are cool and fitting. There's also a race where
at the start you're dropped from a helicopter
which is something we've seen in the Pacific Rift teaser.

Online is also very good. Literally within a second you're in a room with at least a handful other people. Very fast loading.

Handling is great, graphics are great, audio is great.

Recommended!

BeeDog

Goldrusher said:
Just finished this. Well, the story mode.

Lots of FUN! And much easier than the previous games. If any of you complain about the AI in Apocalypse, you haven't played Pacific Rift.

The story is a little cheesy, but the prologue and epilogue stages are cool and fitting. There's also a race where
at the start you're dropped from a helicopter
which is something we've seen in the Pacific Rift teaser.

Online is also very good. Literally within a second you're in a room with at least a handful other people. Very fast loading.

Handling is great, graphics are great, audio is great.

Recommended!

Make sure to try out the weekly challenges and the free DLC challenges too. :)

Anyway, for the 2 GAF'ers who enjoyed the soundtrack, the Elite Force tracks have been released as a digital album. All tracks are reworked and some differ fairly much from the in-game versions:

fmOCG.jpg

http://www.junodownload.com/products/shockland/1758945-02/

BeeDog

The fuck? I've been doing all Weekly Challenges up until now (that is, 18 finished events), but when I started up the game today to do the week 7 challenges, pretty much all of them have been cleared! Now it says 5 events completed (3 for this week, plus 2 random events from before). So many red ticks everywhere :(

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thrakier

BeeDog said:
The fuck? I've been doing all Weekly Challenges up until now (that is, 18 finished events), but when I started up the game today to do the week 7 challenges, pretty much all of them have been cleared! Now it says 5 events completed (3 for this week, plus 2 random events from before). So many red ticks everywhere :(

Anyone else having the same problem?

That's just an server issue. Will fix itself.

So there is no way to align the volume of the game and custom soundtrack? CS is way too loud.

FinalD

Thrakier said:

So there is no way to align the volume of the game and custom soundtrack? CS is way too loud.
I think you can adjust the CS volume from the XMB.

BeeDog

Thrakier said:

Hmm, if you say so... tried starting up MS:A again just now, and the error is still there. :/ Have you experienced this yourself, or did you simply see someone else discuss this?

BeeDog said:
Hmm, if you say so... tried starting up MS:A again just now, and the error is still there. :/ Have you experienced this yourself, or did you simply see someone else discuss this?
On the Motorstorm forums there was a thread about this issue, after a day I think everyone was reporting that it was back to normal. Just wait it out I guess.

Thrakier

BeeDog said:

Both. There are even more bugs.

Goldrusher

Online play has been disrupted by a power failure which knocked out utility service to the data center that supports MotorStorm Apocalypse. We are told to expect normal utility service to resume within 48 hours and are trying to provide online play via another facility before then - so we hope to have online play up and running very soon.

:(

Goldrusher said:
Oh so that's why. I've been trying to play since last night.

I'm so bored, yet so in the mood for Motorstorm, that I've been playing arcade races and setting the tracks to ones which have crossovers at some points.

Now I'm just parked waiting for crashes that I can photograph.

Flunkie

Banned
AEREC said:
New Update adding a race editor, wheel and move support among other things:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-update-mode-editor-steering-wheels-and-move/

Glad to see they are still supporting it, I have not been online in a while but I guess this is a good reason to jump back on.
Mode Editor with boost/brakes/gravity tweaking? Why isn't GAF going nuts already?

The possibilities are vast: Tweak the standard Race mode so that vehicle attacks are disabled…or set-up a five-round Eliminator mode, on mirrored tracks, for 15 Monster Trucks and 1 Buggy, with moon gravity, infinite boost and no brakes…or do something completely unexpected – we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Flunkie said:
The possibilities are vast: Tweak the standard Race mode so that vehicle attacks are disabled…or set-up a five-round Eliminator mode, on mirrored tracks, for 15 Monster Trucks and 1 Buggy, with moon gravity, infinite boost and no brakes…or do something completely unexpected – we can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Uh, holy shit that is incredible. It is free?

Now I feel like a dick for complaining about the in game adds on 'The Rock'.

Oh and - "(bets are now won when a rival is disconnected or disqualified)" This is great news.

Flunkie said:
Mode Editor with boost/brakes/gravity tweaking? Why isn't GAF going nuts already?
I think the direction the game went in put a lot of people off, which is a shame because it's now definitely my new favourite of the franchise and it's sad to see it's not getting much love. I hope these latest features prompt at least a few people to fire up the game again to see what they're missing.

duffyside said:
Wasn't this studio closed? Hard to keep up with these things...
Where did you see that? They've been pumping out free updates weekly and their community presence has been pretty big on forums / Twitter and stuff.

KennyLinder said:
Got my Platinum the other day on this, took ages!! :)
Nice. All I have left to do is collect cards, but I cant tear myself away from the online for long enough to do it.

Stoffinator said:
Is the update out yet? I stuck the game in and didn't get a notice for one.
Yep, what region are you? I got it for EU and have been playing around with it for a while. The options you can set are insane, and you can finally set single vehicle class races like all rally, all bike etc. I love it.

The force infinite boost mode is hilarious, except no one at Evo thought to disable the critical boost siren, so you have to play the whole race with that annoying ringing sound :lol.

Stoffinator

Mechanical Snowman said:
Yep, what region are you? I got it for EU and have been playing around with it for a while. The options you can set are insane, and you can finally set single vehicle class races like all rally, all bike etc. I love it.

The force infinite boost mode is hilarious, except no one at Evo thought to disable the critical boost siren, so you have to play the whole race with that annoying ringing sound :lol.

Hmmm must just be out over there for now. I'm in Canada.

pixelbox

Ok, so i've been trying out some online for a bit and wtf at moster trucks breezing right past my street bike. Is it lag or some kind of perk? Oh, and it's not just the trucks either. It's the dirt bikes and quads too and it doesn't happen too often but when it does... I believe it's lag due to the server connecting everyone together, the people don't speak english so...

Also, I live in the US and I didn't receive a prompt to update either. On a different not I just don't see te hate in this game. Is it too hard or something? Yeah, It takes so time to get use to but not anything impossible. Your miss.

Stoffinator

pixelbox said:
Ok, so i've been trying out some online for a bit and wtf at moster trucks breezing right past my street bike. Is it lag or some kind of perk? Oh, and it's not just the trucks either. It's the dirt bikes and quads too and it doesn't happen too often but when it does... I believe it's lag due to the server connecting everyone together, the people don't speak english so...

Also, I live in the US and I didn't receive a prompt to update either. On a different not I just don't see te hate in this game. Is it too hard or something? Yeah, It takes so time to get use to but not anything impossible. Your miss.

It's out now, but I don't see anything new.

BeeDog

I didn't look around too much in the Mode Editor, but I couldn't figure out how to play on reversed stages. Is it even possible?

Also, doesn't seem the actual Move support is enabled in this update; it simply lays the framework for a future update that fully enables it.

BeeDog

UnluckyKate said:
Where were the DLC for the past two weeks ? :<

Probably postponed so they could get this update out. I'm expecting you to resume the release of the DLC's from next week, you hear me Evolution!?

Raonak

Banned
Wow... they even added a full on server browser.

Top knotch update, evolution, I'm gonna buy some more DLC cars to congradulate you :)

I've been trying it out with my Gran Turismo wheel and in 3D and I must say it handles pretty tight. At first I thought it was a little flimsy feeling, based on me using it in Gran Turismo. I forgot all the bumps in the road for motorstorm and different vehicles handle different on specific terrain types. Once I can to that realization the game has great replay value.

I will also like to add, playing in bonnet view in 3D with the logitech wheel, all damn this game is quite fuckable. Now I see why it replaced Resistance as the 3D bundle with the television.

The MOVE controller doesn't work in the update at all, if it does can someone give me a quick tutorial. I have already reassigned my controller to each port and nothing happens.

spats

gluv65 said:
The MOVE controller doesn't work in the update at all, if it does can someone give me a quick tutorial. I have already reassigned my controller to each port and nothing happens.

It's not supposed to work in the newest version yet. They just prepped the game for Move support, which will come later.

Goldrusher

He means why they mentioned Move support, including a load screen with info on where to put your camera, if it doesn't work yet ?

Anyway, they need to increase the time you can choose to "bet your winnings". I've lost ridiculous amounts of xp because of that measly millisecond of time they give you. :(
All the other crap they show sooooo much longer.

decon

subversus said:
The campaign sucks donkey's balls but online is perfect.
I'm 80% through the SP game and so far I really like it. Like Goldrusher said, stuff like the prologue and epilogue stages make the game stand out from GT5, Wipeout and the previous MS games. The story is cheesy no doubt, but what did you expect from an arcade racer set in a huge city that's falling down because of war and earthquakes. At least the cutscenes gave some context to the races. Not great, but it's still way better than the previous MS games. Multiplayer is better, 4 player splitscreen with online play, lot of free DLC (thanks Evo <3) and a lot of players.

So the game is going to be a platinum hits in uk, so it will be $25 on zavvi.co.uk.

Have the patches fixed the cheating bastard ai yet? Any collision detection problems been fixed?

Top Bottom