• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some impressions:

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=2437

The controls responded very well to the analog stick as realistic physics forced players to adjust their steering on rough landings and slick turns.

The graphics engine ran at 30 frames per second with very well textured terrain, vehicles, and character models. AI players can cause accidents, which will ignite sparks and further vehicle damage.

Says it's scheduled for launch. Hopefully they get the framerate up, twould be nice.

Gek54

Well, at least check out how deep the Truck's tire rut will be. Track deformation is great but that blur is horrible.

teiresias

So much for the theory that they used GT:HD to cover for Motorstorm not being there. I think a 30fps version of Motorstorm would have been better than 3 tracks of GT4.

sharukins

Banned
I would like to see more mud kicked up from behind the tires. with that kind of motion blur there has to be serious speeds = more mud flying

Gek54

Dahbomb said:
30 FPS?

UNACCEPTABLE for next-gen console games!

I think most Evos games shown at all the E3s were locked 30fps and ended up being solid 60fps when launched so there is a little hope.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
30fps... $600...

So much for 120fps. ;)

What are the confirmed 60fps games on the PS3 thus far?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sharukins said:
I would like to see more mud kicked up from behind the tires. with that kind of motion blur there has to be serious speeds = more mud flying

I think that's hard to tell in a still, though the pre-E3 shots released showed decent mud kick-up (and it was thankfully looking better than at GDC, seemingly). It'll be good to get footage of this.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've just called snoopers to see if he can make a video asap, he'll try to get one within the next hour, but he's in the other hall right now.

Dahbomb

HomerSimpson-Man said:
30 FPS is being all too accepted by devs for next-gen consoles.
I kid, I kid. :lol

I don't care for racers/shooters to have 30 FPS (especially if its steady), but literally it's UNACCEPTABLE for action games like Too Human/Heavenly Sword to have 30 FPS (which they don't). I just happen to be a 60FPS action game whore. :lol

Motorstorm looks great, hopefully we can get some impressions in. God knows Sony can use every good game it can get at this point...

sharukins

Banned
here is the BIG picture

144656424_95c8b814f3_b.jpg

eh.......

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man isn't that like 90fps less then was promised. Next thing you'll tell me is that it isn't 4D.

calder

Whew, thank god they didn't overdo the motion blur! That's tasteful and understated, like the artful use of lens flare 4 years ago.

I'm assuming the blur isn't as weird looking in, er, motion, but it looks damn funny in all the stills

sharukins

Banned
either alot of mud is not generated and mud marks are forms procedurally or too much mud has been flown from other cars and not much is left ot fly around cuz its not flying too much in that pic

xaosslug

IMO, Sony's strategy to announce the crazy price and then give gamers the opportunity to see whether or not it's worth it to them by just putting up and shutting up this E3 instead of like last E3 when it was all tech demos/theatrical trailers is smart. :p

sharukins

Banned
xaosslug said:
IMO, Sony's strategy to announce the crazy price and then give gamers the opportunity to see whether or not it's worth it to them by just putting up and shutting up this E3 instead of like last E3 when it was all tech demos/theatrical trailers is smart. :p

or extremely stupid. depending on who you ask

TheDuce22

Banned
What happened to the good looking motion blur that appears here?
motorstorm-3.jpg

What happened to 1080p at 60 frames per second? Also why were the detailed textures and enviroments replaced with something pulled out of a ps2 game? What happened to all the crazy physics with the mud and rocks? All that stuff from before was supposedly realtime, did something happen between then and now? Not trolling, just curious. :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MotorStorm is this generations... ah crap what's the name of that offroad racer that when you hit the barrier at the end of the large open area you'd get knocked WAAAAAAAY up in the air?

TheDuce22 said:
motorstorm-3.jpg

What happened to 1080p at 60 frames per second? Also why were the detailed textures and enviroments replaced with something pulled out of a ps2 game? What happened to all the crazy physics with the mud and rocks? All that stuff from before was supposedly realtime, did something happen between then and now? Not trolling, just curious. :lol

Living under a rock or something? Come on man!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Living under a rock or something?

Duce? Nyah it's his attempt at a subtle dig at Sony for their CG madness of last E3.....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TheDuce22 said:

You haven't even seen the bitch in motion yet.:lol

This is from another forum.

From that website.

Some guy named Frosty said:
I got ya' covered. DVD quality Motorstorm coming tonight!

sharukins

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
motorstorm-3.jpg

What happened to 1080p at 60 frames per second? Also why were the detailed textures and enviroments replaced with something pulled out of a ps2 game? What happened to all the crazy physics with the mud and rocks? Not trolling, just curious. :lol

its called setting a target video, implementing a realtime setup to test all physics and lighting and camera, then take that implementation and transfer it into gamecode using AI, real game physics, ingame lighting, ingame shading, ingame shadows, optimise code for gameplay and run it

ram

i`ll remember last year, when evo showed wrc 5 with 15 fps. at the end, when the game was released, it had locked 50fps.

Gek54

DarienA said:
MotorStorm is this generations... ah crap what's the name of that offroad racer that when you hit the barrier at the end of the large open area you'd get knocked WAAAAAAAY up in the air?

We all know MotorStorm, Where is Grand Raid Offroad for 360? Or did we forget about that one entirely?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also brief impressions FWIW:

I saw the game played for ten minutes and then played it myself. I have a lot of good things to say about it in terms of the physics and other effects in play. The mud ruts stay throughout the entire race, all vehicles leave them, they effect traction on the track, and each vehicle is fully destructible with physics determining how the in-engine 'break-up' tosses the pieces around.

I'll expand more on it in my article.

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1089056&postcount=20

He'll have an interview with the devs up later also.

jett

D-Member
It looks like THAT AND the game has the NERVE to run at 30fps? :lol

The use of motion blur is fucking embarrassing. It's obviously used to hide the shitty-ass textures that we all saw in the direct feed pics that were leaked before e3.

Top Bottom