• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kaching said:
Edit: I'm still having a hard time believing that's anything but real-world videocam footage
For what it's worth, someone I know who was there told me he though it was real world video footage. EIther way, I think it's not a big deal.

terrene

Banned
Re: Cell phone shots at start of thread

It's not even in-game motion blur, it's the camera using a slow shutter because of the low lighting conditions. The car is sharper because it stays in the same position on screen. Jesus fucking christ.

Evolution are going to relaunch their website in the coming weeks:

Within a few weeks the site will receive a total overhaul, it will be constantly updated with good stuff, provide a whole host of new services and features and will provide a whole new means of communicating with us here at Evolution Studios… We promise :)

- Rich

Maybe we'll get a nice 720p trailer. :D

DarienA said:
:lol :lol

Gameplay wise it IS kinda boring at this point.

Just driving a couple of laps on a short circuit with a few nitro boosts.
Nothing we havent done dozens of times before.

Game needs A LOT of work to fullfill its gameplay promises, AND its graphical promises for that matter.

Mmmkay

Fishie flop oog said:
I dunno, why dont you go ask the dev teams behind Loco Roco, ICO, Wario Ware etcetera.
Your point might have been a bit more constructive if you picked some games from the same genre as MotorStorm.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well those are extremely innovative games!

This is a racing game with real time track deformation and lots of physics. It's not reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

OMG PUN

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well those are extremely innovative games!

This is a racing game with real time track deformation and lots of physics. It's not reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

OMG PUN

At this point it DOESNT feature real track deformation(the only racing game I have seen that does so far is next gen Sega Rally), it uses simple parralax mapping.
And seriously, can it get anymore generic then going in short circles without much freedom in an arcade style race with Nitro's?

Mmmkay

Fishie flop oog said:
At this point it DOESNT feature real track deformation(the only racing game I have seen that does so far is next gen Sega Rally), it uses simple parralax mapping.
And seriously, can it get anymore generic then going in short circles without much freedom in an arcade style race with Nitro's?
Well that's the first time I've ever heard POM being labeled 'simple'. How many cars are expected in a race with Sega Rally? Different budgets allow for more luxurious techniques.

With regards to the gameplay, they already demonstrated how the tracks are designed to give alternate routes depending on the vehicle you're using.

jett

D-Member
The now banned fishmeister forgot to mention that Sega Rally's trailer was CG.

And I doubt what Motorstorm is doing is anything but simple.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jett said:
The now banned fishmeister forgot to mention that Sega Rally's trailer was CG.

And I doubt what Motorstorm is doing is anything but simple.
Sega rally was NOT CG and was playable behind closed doors on a dev kit and did feature all the enviroment effects. Crappy frame rate so far but it was quite early.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
phoney_tn.jpg

"Hey everyone! Look over here! This game doesn't have true track deformation. They're using a different method of doing something that looks and reacts as if it is deformed terrain, but it's not! It's phony! Evolution studios is a big fat phony!"

Reilly said:
Even early builds must be innovative?

Absolutely. Unless you're showing off a tech demo of your engine, then it's a must that you have as much of the visuals, sound, and gameplay in whatever demo or level you're showing off as complete as possible. Just look at any of the announcements that Nintendo made this year -- Super Mario Galaxy being a prime example. At the Especially Abundant company where I work, this used to be called "finishing the thread."

Mmmkay

Ferrarisimo said:
Absolutely. Unless you're showing off a tech demo of your engine, then it's a must that you have as much of the visuals, sound, and gameplay in whatever demo or level you're showing off as complete as possible. Just look at any of the announcements that Nintendo made this year -- Super Mario Galaxy being a prime example. At the Especially Abundant company where I work, this used to be called "finishing the thread."
But isn't that exactly what MotorStorm did? It showed off the [playground rules] asshole physics, how the track deformation affects handling and changes the course throughout the race, and how different classes of vehicle need to tackle the courses in their own way. Just because the core mechanic is 'racing around a circuit with some nitro' doesn't mean that it can't innovate.

jett

D-Member
Blimblim said:
Sega rally was NOT CG and was playable behind closed doors on a dev kit and did feature all the enviroment effects. Crappy frame rate so far but it was quite early.

Aw snap. Did it really look like the pictures that were released?

Fishie flop oog said:
Gameplay wise it IS kinda boring at this point.

Just driving a couple of laps on a short circuit with a few nitro boosts.
Nothing we havent done dozens of times before.

Game needs A LOT of work to fullfill its gameplay promises, AND its graphical promises for that matter.

While I disagree for the most part, I think it would have been cool if the track format had been reminiscent of the type shown at last year's CG trailer - seemingly each track being one-way and taking you through multiple paths and danger zones. Having each track actually just be a loop doesn't seem neaerly as fun.

TheDuce22

Banned
Goreomedy said:
phoney_tn.jpg

"Hey everyone! Look over here! This game doesn't have true track deformation. They're using a different method of doing something that looks and reacts as if it is deformed terrain, but it's not! It's phony! Evolution studios is a big fat phony!"

Im assuming he was lieing since he got banned for saying that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jett said:
Aw snap. Did it really look like the pictures that were released?
The released pics are from the playable version they prepared for the behind closed doors showing. It was running on PS3 but it should look the same on 360.

demi

Goreomedy said:
phoney_tn.jpg

Are you referring to the paralax mapping, the same thing the guy showing me and Robby the game said?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Blimblim said:
The released pics are from the playable version they prepared for the behind closed doors showing. It was running on PS3 but it should look the same on 360.

segarally10ln.jpg

Any vids of this game anywhere?

PS3 am awesome :D

Mmmkay

demi said:
Are you referring to the paralax mapping, the same thing the guy showing me and Robby the game said?
I think he's saying if it looks like geometric deformation, interacts like deformation, and deforms like ... deformation, then what's the problem?

Blimblim said:

WOW O_O

segarally1.jpg

segarally2.jpg

btw @ blim: did they also show golden axe behin closed doors?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
GreggTheGrimReaper said:
btw @ blim: did they also show golden axe behin closed doors?
I wasn't there so all I'm just repeating what I've been told of Sega Rally Revo. Btw it looks like there are at least a few people from DiCE racing team (Rallisport) now working for the Sega Racing Studio. If true, then yay :D

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Blimblim said:
I wasn't there so all I'm just repeating what I've been told of Sega Rally Revo. Btw it looks like there are at least a few people from DiCE racing team (Rallisport) now working for the Sega Racing Studio. If true, then yay :D

what1jx.gif

Blimblim said:

:D :D :D <3

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mmmkay said:
I think he's saying if it looks like geometric deformation, interacts like deformation, and deforms like ... deformation, then what's the problem?

Yes. I thought for sure GAF would pick up on that reference. :)

Top Bottom