• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

New gif material on the new video-

About 1 min 20, the truck flips out on the lower part of the track and the car in front of you tries to dodge the debris and misses the jump, quality.

13411032591.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's interesting to watch the hood of the buggy get progressively more mud-splattered in the early part of this latest vid. Problem is, a lot of the mud splatter doesn't quite seem to match up with any mud flying at the car...need to work on that.

Shawn

Banned
I'm not going to bother reading through the replies here -- but is that little video thing solidsnakex posted above actual gameplay footage of this game? If it is... Holy F*ck!

Konnjuta

Shawn said:
I'm not going to bother reading through the replies here -- but is that little video thing solidsnakex posted above actual gameplay footage of this game? If it is... Holy F*ck!
Yeah its gameplay. Hood view.

Konnjuta said:
Notice how the buggy BUMP when it ran over the guy. OUCH!!! :D :D :D :D

Also note how he starts to lean really hard when his back wheels are on top of the hood of the buggy to prevent the ATV from flipping. It's nice to see animated that detailed.

bud

13314525784.gif

:lol :lol

It's like this game is designed for .gifs:lol

Everytime I look at the game I notice these little things that I hadn't noticed before. Whether it matches the target-render or not, this game is shaping up to be really good.

Konnjuta

SolidSnakex said:
Also note how he starts to lean really hard when his back wheels are on top of the hood of the buggy to prevent the ATV from flipping. It's nice to see animated that detailed.
I didn't really take notice of that but now that you pointed that out it :D :D :D

Bud said:
13314525784.gif

:lol :lol
I need to know more about that gifs. lol
who is it? what is she doing?

Gattsu25

Banned
Konnjuta said:
I didn't really take notice of that but now that you pointed that out it :D :D :D

I need to know more about that gifs. lol
who is it? what is she doing?
someone eating a pepper, most like

Kleegamefan said:
You gotta admit, seeing some of those ATVs and Bikes getting pwned never gets old....just thinking about the bedlam I will be unleashing online on all you bitches puts a smile on my face :D

Totally agree with this. Launch day purchase for me, GAF picks almost never steer me the wrong way.

jax (old)

Banned
travisbickle said:
More love for Motor Storm, this one has a bonnet-view camera. Anyone that doesn't feel bad when the guy gets run over isn't human.

motorstorm gameplay

wow. just checked that out. completely different feel to the racing now that the cars really bump around like reality + moving up+down from the terrain. That video really distinguishes motorstorm from every single current gen title released (including x360) driving title.

check it out.

WOW.

Jax said:
wow. just checked that out. completely different feel to the racing now that the cars really bump around like reality + moving up+down from the terrain. That video really distinguishes motorstorm from every single current gen title released (including x360) driving title.

check it out.

WOW.

neah it still has a long way to go...the track is too small, the game lacks proper sense of speed, they haven't implemented the total 20 ai racers yet, and the sparks look very poor at this point. The final game should be mindblowing if they are able to lock the frame rate and fix those things...

I think this game will be delayed to 2007

djkimothy

:lol :lol :lol

I'm pretty sure my online stats will suck as I will be finishing dead last every race but only because I'm head hunting all the opponents. Any sizable lead I gain will only lead me to initiate a head on collision! :D

With that last gif-vid, see the tire fall off the truck? That was awesome.

Doom_Bringer said:
after watching this i am convinced that they will match the target render.

Yeah, the part where the big rig buys it is pretty friggen sweet. I'm impressed.....not sure if I'm swayed for a launch PS3 purchase, but this game does get the juices flowing.

jax (old)

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
neah it still has a long way to go...the track is too small, the game lacks proper sense of speed, they haven't implemented the total 20 ai racers yet, and the sparks look very poor at this point. The final game should be mindblowing if they are able to lock the frame rate and fix those things...

I think this game will be delayed to 2007

what in my comment made you say the above? Bleh.

Already looks damn fine and its at 50% completion...

:)

Doom_Bringer said:
the game lacks proper sense of speed
It should be an easy fix if needed.

When you use the Boost the sense of speed really increases a lot. The last video to be linked in this topic showed a bit of it. If the top-end vehicles drive that fast normally the speed shouldn't be plenty fast enough.

I wouldn't worry about the speed yet. It could just be slow from the vehicles being set for a rookie difficulty or rookie tuned, or even downtuned for the E3 show, etc. Increasing the speed or using a few camera tricks to increase the sense of speed isn't too hard for developers to do late in development.

Tiger

Banned
Jax said:
what in my comment made you say the above? Bleh.

Already looks damn fine and its at 50% completion...

:)
I think that 50% figure is misleading. The deveoper says they're at 50%. But that doesn't account for the moment that the development team is told "we're gonna have to wrap this up now in time to make the launch". Thats often where the last 15% get cut off.

I'm sort of in the camp for delaying this game into 2007 if thats what it takes to make it look like the E3 2005 trailer. I think it can be done, but it's gonna take some time and care from the developer/publisher. I sure hope they don't just push it out the door for the launch.

People also have to remember that it is halfway through May right now. In all reality these launch titles would have to be finished up by mid October, in order to make a mid November launch date for the system. That really only gives them another 5 months to finish the game. Thats just not a ton of time when you are working with brand new hardware.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Tiger said:
Thats just not a ton of time when you are working with brand new hardware.
It never is, yet some software has to be ready for launch, regardless. This one looks like it's coming along very well and this is based on a build that's likely a few weeks behind their most advanced build for the sake of stability vs. proving how far along they are.

New dev interview

Anthony Hanses: Hello, this is Anthony Hanses with PS3Portal.com, on the final day of E3 2006. I am here with Paul Hollywood. He is the art director on Motorstorm for the PS3. So, Paul, what can you tell us about this great game?

Paul Hollywood: I can tell you lots of things about this game. What I'll tell you is we've been working really hard on this game getting ourselves ready to show at E3, and we're really proud to be showing off Motorstorm. I'm gonna talk about some of the next generation features of the game. Mainly we've got dynamic terrain defamation. What this basically means is, on the muddy areas of the track, as the vehicals drive over, they cut ridges into the road, as you can see here.

What this means is that through persistance, over the number of laps, these ridges will keep building up and not only does this affect the visuals but it affects the gameplay as well, so no two laps are ever the same. Also, we're utilizing the massive power of the Playstation 3 for such graphical effects as toe mapping, bloom, high-dynamic range lighting, motion blur, depth of field... we also have state of the art A.I. technology, and we're using Havok physics. And all these different systems are running on seperate SPU's, so that's why we've been able to get such performance out of the PLaystation 3.

AH: Great. Great to hear. So how long has Motorstorm been in development for?

PH: Well we've been working on Motorstorm for about two years, and a lot of the pre-production work on the game design and the concept and what have you. Last year when we showed the trailer at E3, that was like a visualization of our concept. So now, we've actually built up our technology from scratch, from the base down. Everythig here we've worked on; the engine, the physics engine, all the models, all the environments. And all that's been created from nothing.

So we're about-- we're due to be a launch title, so there's not much more to go. We'd say here about 50% complete. So that's for the foundations, the technology foundations have been set, and now we just gotta add content. We're building 12 tracks for the game, there are 35 vehicles, and what you can see here is seven vehicles, one representing each class in the game. So you got big rigs, racing trucks, buggys, ATVs, dirt bikes. In the final game, you'll be able to play any of these vehicles in the Motorstorm environment.

AH: So do you have any online features planned for this game?

PH: Of course, yeah. We're planning 16 player online, and also we're going to have downloadable content, which could be possibly new tracks, new vehicles, or even new game modes.

AH: Great. Well thank you for your time sir, and we look forward to playing the game.

PH: Thank you very much.

djkimothy

Kittonwy said:
OUCH. Somebody call a doctor.
bunny.gif

That vid reminded me of this one time when I was watching a WRC replay, I think it was either Makinen or Richard Burns who ran over a goat during the Safari rally.

That new gameplay video looks alright. But if anyone here thinks theyre gonna match the target trailer... Watch that E3 2005 trailer again and admit that thats something which obviously is never going to happen... ever.

Fallout-NL said:
That new gameplay video looks alright. But if anyone here thinks theyre gonna match the target trailer... Watch that E3 2005 trailer again and admit that thats something which obviously is never going to happen... ever.

It will happen. The lighting right now is pretty good and the best thing about that demo was the lighting. The first person mode looks cool and increases the sense of speed.

20 vehicles, bigger tracks, more carnage = target video matched :D

but seriously they have to increase the sense of speed and fix those sparks...the evolution developer already mentioned that you will be able to destroy certain part of the tracks like huts and stuff to reveal secret routes and so on...

Evolution is a good developer. I think they can do it.

Doom_Bringer said:
20 vehicles, bigger tracks, more carnage = target video matched :D

You make it sound so easy :p.

I suggest you watch that trailer again. All the physics, damage model and animation stuff happening in there is definitely not of this gen, maybe in 4 or 5 years.

/edit: Granted, lighting looks good.

Fallout-NL said:
You make it sound so easy :p.

I suggest you watch that trailer again. All the physics, damage model and animation stuff happening in there is definitely not of this gen, maybe in 4 or 5 years.
This demo has got some good physics, plus the damage looked like Burnout on steroids to me...if motorstorm doesn't match it then Burnout 5 or 6 will. Watch and wait man...I think they will top it off.

motorstorm23ft.jpg

this is probably from a newer built but i guess they didn't show it because maybe it had a lot of glitches or something...(the picture is from the trailer)

btw they still didn't add real time deformation in the demo...it was there but it was kinda glitchy and stuff. plus it was missing the smoke effects... :p plus 6 more months of dev time....

Hehe, I definitely hope youre right. Cant deny that I would like to spend some time with the game they showed in the 2005 trailer.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think the biggest things that need to be worked on are the Mud Particles, Damage Modeling (the amount of items breaking apart) and Dust Particles. The Lighting is pretty much already there.

I'm not sure if the CGI will be fully met, but I think it may be able to reach a point where you would have to point out certain things that don't meet the CGI. The general visual fidelity will look nice.

Top Bottom