• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
firefoxsux said:
realtime geometry deformation 60fps.

sega rally revo Xbox 360, ps3 pc. :)
segarally10ln.jpg
That's what I hate about E3, so much amazing stuff to see and only three days to do it in.

Foil

Systems_id said:
I agree with the person who said Twisted Metal using this engine could be awesome. Make it happen Incog!

Couldn't agree more. A Twisted Metal Black sequel on PS3 with crazy physics, damage, and particles would be amazing. Jaffe, are you reading this? We need a TM Black sequel. Darker than ever too, that made Black a classic. :D

Just thinking of the level destruction that a PS3 Twisted Metal could have will make me plop down $600 with ease for the system.

MotorStorm looks awesome imo, and with 6 months left to improve I'm pretty pumped for it. Only complaint I have, is to make the game a lot faster. More speed with those physics would be nuts.

SolidSnakex said:
Did he mention anything about possible racing wheel support?

Don't worry. Wheel support has always been awesome for as well 3rd as 1st party games.

Paralax mapping shouldn't be that bad if the underlying geometry is synced up with it. It does however, feel that it should be implemented more extremely. Especially when 20 vehicles have driven over a certain spot for three laps, I'd like to see some serious deformation going on. Think things like 2 ft deep trenches forming after 5 laps. Theoretically this still could be done when doing the paralax combo thingy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hopefully theres wheel support :D

As far as the Paralax Mapping. As has already been stated, if its just Paralax Mapping, then there must be something else going on since the cars tires and suspension actually react (or seem too at least) to the treading on the road by having each tire fall into the treading if it passes over one.

That would have to be Geometry Deformation since you've got the base track level like this

-------

But when a car moves over a part of a track and leaves its mark, it creates an imprint

---___---

The base level Geometry of the track was pushed down by the cars tires. In the end thoug, Geoemetry Deformation or not, if the cars react to the tracks on the ground as they seem too (and promised too) then i'll be happy.

Udde

KyanMehwulfe said:
Anyone happen to save this animated Gif and able to re-host it? (I can't even remember which one it was exactly but based on our response it was great.)

I can throw up a re-host for it soon after if the first re-host will only be temporary.

here you are

motortouch22vs.gif

Btw, sega rally looks awesome, but it is not real-time, isn't it? O_O

fse

Wow, I now change my opinion of MotorStorm after seeing the HD feed on Gamespot. I am getting a PS3 and this on launch :eek:

VNZ

Parallaxmappington! No seriously, regardless of your renderer you would represent the terrain deformation with a large array of numbers that indicate an offset from the base surface. The physics engine would use that representation for the dynamics, and the renderer would use the exact same data to draw a believable graphic representation of this terrain. Parallax mapping is probably way more efficient than some sort of polygon tesselation at the detail level the devs are reaching for.

Man, this seems like it'll be the ATV of first gen PS3 software, as far as physics goes. I remember i'd just crash my ATV to watch the guy go flying in races.
But, I do think that no one's ever gonna wanna play the guy on the bike :lol

Aye even little things like that were fun to see how the physics would react. I can remember just idling or driving really slowly and rocking it around to see the shocks react or pulling wheelies and then leaning forward after hitting the breaks to rock between the two two-wheeling extremes.

Tiger

Banned
I've been catching up on this thread for the past 15 minutes, and I can't help but be a little confused by the mania some people seem to be showing this game.

Don't get me wrong, this game is enticing to me, and frankly it is the biggest reason i'd want to buy a PS3 at launch right now. I'm a racing fan at heart, and I especially love water/off road racing.

But even with that said, i'm still not seeing anything in these videso so far, that makes me so "holy shit". The E3 2005 trailer made me say "holy shit", but this real time stuff isn't doing that yet. The final product could do that, and I truly hope it does, but I just don't get the rabid excitement that i'm seeing in this thread.

Also, in case you're wondering, i'm not one of those people that keeps track of who wears what jackets around here. :p I generally have no idea when it comes to that stuff.

I really do hope that this game continues to improve though, because it is showing a lot of promise right now. I'm not a huge fan of the trucks in the game though. I just love the idea of different buggies, ATVs, and dirt bikes racing against one another. The trucks just look out of place to me. I also think the game definitely needs a bump in speed, and i'm concerned about the actual feel of the sliding and the powersliding. I just hope they get it right in the final product. At this point it doesn't appear that the actual racing engine has that wonderful feel to it, with the ability to powerslide around a corner, as you should be able to do in an off road racer.

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I just hope to god this game doesn't turn out to be another "Buggy Heat". That was an early Dreamcast offroad racer, that looked great in screenshots, but the actual racing engine just killed the game. I still bought the damn thing hoping for the best, but in reality it's actual racing gameplay was just wrong.

In Motorstorm I was really hoping for that free roaming feel that the E3 2005 trailer seemed to be hinting at. I imagined these huge open ended tracks with multiple paths and options for getting to the finish line. I imagined open desert wasteland with various obstacles and pitfalls to avoid at high speeds. So far the actual game seems to be showing enclosed tracks with meh track designs. I just hope the final game has plenty of that wide open racing in a desert track. I also hope the game allows for skilled powerslides on the tighter tracks.

This game has so much potential, and I can say right now that it looks to be a solid game at this point already. I'm just so badly wanting it to meet all of it's glorious potential. If they really use the next 4 months well, it could be the racer of the year.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
What you are not seeing is the fact people are seeing some wacky results from the physics simulation in MotorStorm and are laughing their asses off because it looks so fun...

That is what you don't "get"

They need to improve the sense of speed and open up the tracks. I think these guys should be able to match the target render by the time the game is complete.

50% complete right now right?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Tiger I thought today was Mother's Day, not continue to be an asshole day...

Kleegamefan said:
What you are not seeing is the fact there is people are seeing some wacky results from the physics simulation in MS and are laughing their asses off because it looks so fun...

That is what you don't "get"

Yah I think that's the point, it already looks very fun and they've still got alot to add. That demo only had 7 cars on track, the final will have 20 in single player and 16 in online. And they've got the destruction level to improve on the cars. Being able to race around with all those vehicles and the level of physics they've got is going to be amazing online.

I'm not sure about the speed, I think if they kept this level of speed after increasing the number of cars on track it won't be a issue. There was also a clear speed difference between the ATV/dirtbikes compared to the rest of the vehicles which could be a reason for that level of speed. There's got to be a balance which will make the race fair. People who play on bikes or ATV's (likely most of the people online) will have a speed advantage.

Raistlin

sol_bad said:
I feel ripped off if the ground doesn't actually deform.
They boasted real ground deformation ........ but it's not?

I'm confused as to what the difference is?

If it looks the same, and all of the physics is calculated as though it was true geometrical deformation ... who cares?

Regardless, I'm guessing there is some actual geometry change, with parallax maps used to make it look better ... but who knows.

Udde

Semi-OT: Almost confirmed, Sega Rally image is real time. It was a tech-demo of the engine they are using in the new Sega Rally. Awesome if the game looks like this :D

If the opening part, where it's sweeping though the valley and you see the cars gather and the folks watching the race...if that's real-time then I can see where the 600 dollar cover fee comes from.

Tiger said:
I've been catching up on this thread for the past 15 minutes, and I can't help but be a little confused by the mania some people seem to be showing this game.

Don't get me wrong, this game is enticing to me, and frankly it is the biggest reason i'd want to buy a PS3 at launch right now. I'm a racing fan at heart, and I especially love water/off road racing.

But even with that said, i'm still not seeing anything in these videso so far, that makes me so "holy shit". The E3 2005 trailer made me say "holy shit", but this real time stuff isn't doing that yet. The final product could do that, and I truly hope it does, but I just don't get the rabid excitement that i'm seeing in this thread.

Also, in case you're wondering, i'm not one of those people that keeps track of who wears what jackets around here. :p I generally have no idea when it comes to that stuff.

I really do hope that this game continues to improve though, because it is showing a lot of promise right now. I'm not a huge fan of the trucks in the game though. I just love the idea of different buggies, ATVs, and dirt bikes racing against one another. The trucks just look out of place to me. I also think the game definitely needs a bump in speed, and i'm concerned about the actual feel of the sliding and the powersliding. I just hope they get it right in the final product. At this point it doesn't appear that the actual racing engine has that wonderful feel to it, with the ability to powerslide around a corner, as you should be able to do in an off road racer.

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I just hope to god this game doesn't turn out to be another "Buggy Heat". That was an early Dreamcast offroad racer, that looked great in screenshots, but the actual racing engine just killed the game. I still bought the damn thing hoping for the best, but in reality it's actual racing gameplay was just wrong.

In Motorstorm I was really hoping for that free roaming feel that the E3 2005 trailer seemed to be hinting at. I imagined these huge open ended tracks with multiple paths and options for getting to the finish line. I imagined open desert wasteland with various obstacles and pitfalls to avoid at high speeds. So far the actual game seems to be showing enclosed tracks with meh track designs. I just hope the final game has plenty of that wide open racing in a desert track. I also hope the game allows for skilled powerslides on the tighter tracks.

This game has so much potential, and I can say right now that it looks to be a solid game at this point already. I'm just so badly wanting it to meet all of it's glorious potential. If they really use the next 4 months well, it could be the racer of the year.

who gives a fuck. Nobody has to explain to you why they are excited over a game. "GUYS I GIVE IT A HOLY CRAP, BUT NOT A HOLY SHIT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?"

xaosslug

Ninja Scooter said:
who gives a fuck. Nobody has to explain to you why they are excited over a game. "GUYS I GIVE IT A HOLY CRAP, BUT NOT A HOLY SHIT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?"

:lol

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Ninja Scooter said:

:lol so true...

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It may be me but I think the positive reactions are not so much because of the graphics(which look good but not OMGWTF fantastic), but.....because it just looks damn fun to play and the people who actually played MS back up this opinion....as someone else said in the thread, I not looking to win races, I'm gonna fuck some bitches up :lol

You gotta admit, seeing some of those ATVs and Bikes getting pwned never gets old....just thinking about the bedlam I will be unleashing online on all you bitches puts a smile on my face :D

Ninja Scooter said:

Umm.. Not sure why such a weird, defensive reaction... its a thread about a game, and he gave his opinion and chatted with others that were already talking about the game....

Get upset if someone doesnt post a line about how awesome the "physics" are and then bows out?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
EnvoyDenali said:
Umm.. Not sure why such a weird, defensive reaction... its a thread about a game, and he gave his opinion and chatted with others that were already talking about the game....

Get upset if someone doesnt post a line about how awesome the "physics" are and then bows out?

All those who are "upset" about his opinion raise their hands... *crickets*

Some will like this game, some wont, no biggies....I took Ninja Scooters response as a typical NeoGAF humorous response...he was saying he didnt understand the "holy shit" response and then proceeded to talk about graphics and old dreamcast games....never mind people are mostly responding to gifs about bikes getting owned.....

Its a funny joke about a funny response over a fun looking game......have fun, you'll live longer :)

Tiger said:
I imagined these huge open ended tracks with multiple paths and options for getting to the finish line. I imagined open desert wasteland with various obstacles and pitfalls to avoid at high speeds.

Well, I wasn't much of a fan of Smuggler's Run, and that's more along the lines of what your describing. Then again, for all we know, this may also have way point races like the ATV Offroad Fury series, which is also a little bit like what your describing. And actually, I don't mind those kind of races from time to time. Me? After last year's E3 I was getting the impression that MotorStorm had insane physics mixed with much more interactive environments than what we're generally used to, be they on enclosed circuits or not. Oh, and finally having more than 6 freaking contestants during a race. Given what was shown back then, I don't see how you can really get any kind of feeling for the types of tracks as we weren't shown nearly enough.

Sugarman said:
If the opening part, where it's sweeping though the valley and you see the cars gather and the folks watching the race...if that's real-time then I can see where the 600 dollar cover fee comes from.

It looks really nice whatever it is

motorstorm23ft.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sugarman said:
No, that's stock real-world footage.

EnvoyDenali said:

Because sometimes people forget that other people have opinions that are different from their own and regardless of how one justifies why they like something, it'll still have no bearing on an individual's own experience.

No one needs to explain why they find some games fun and sometimes it's not even possible to.

Konnjuta

Kleegamefan said:
All those who are "upset" about his opinion raise their hands... *crickets*
To stay true to their fanboy agendas all those that get upset by the graphics weren't going to buy it to begin with regardless of how awesome its gonna turn out so its kinda moot they're getting upset of over it in the first place :D

Need more GIFs!

Socreges

Banned
The graphics and physics are impressive, but the gameplay itself - I dunno. It doesnt seem so interesting, but that may be because of the track.

travisbickle said:
More love for Motor Storm, this one has a bonnet-view camera. Anyone that doesn't feel bad when the guy gets run over isn't human.

motorstorm gameplay

Damn that looks like a lot of fun. That camera is way better than the 3rd person view. Looks way more hectic. The vehicles themselves also move very distinctly, like they have their own personality.

quetz67

Banned
Kittonwy said:
If they can bring the mud to that view and add more dust it would be great. ~_~
I think all the mudslinging and particle stuff will be added later, when they know what spare power they have left.

Top Bottom