• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FIRST FULL IMPRESSIONS FOR MOTORSTORM

Luckily enough, time constraints yesterday prevented me from getting to all of the games that I had wanted to get to inside of the Sony booth. Going up the stairs of the media section this morning, I went looking for Genji 2, and lo and behold, saw playable demos of Motorstorm where Genji had once stood. On top of that, I had the opportunity to speak with Evolution Studios developer Simon Benson about the game, and Evolution's vision in making this title.

Getting to the game itself, it can best be described as a rally 'versus' game. Benson mentioned in particular his company's history developing rally games, and how they've always wanted to create a game with multiple vehicles in play. Motorstorm is that game.

For the purpose of the demo, you are limited to a single track and a single vehicle; the buggy previously seen in demonstrations.

The game plays smoothly, with no sign of frame drops and full motion blur in effect at all times. Blur intensity is determined by the speed at which you are traveling and/or whether you are being tossed around. And you do get tossed around! Besides falling/rolling off ledges and crashing into other vehicles, motion blur is especially noticeable when 'boost' is active. Simon also confirmed that high dynamic range lighting effects are present (such was readily apparent), and that the game would be targeting a resolution of 720p.

The star of the game is the physics and vehicle modeling, however.

Each vehicle present in the game is fully destructible, with the form of their 'break up' determined entirely in game by physics. It's amazingly satisfying to run a motorcycle off the road and see it's tires come off and fly around in a realistic fashion. Larger vehicles have more to lose of course, and one of the most impressive moments of the game was chasing after a big-rig truck and seeing it's driver side door swing open and shut realistically according to the direction in which it was turning. The struts on your car also compress and expand, depending on the terrain, all in a completely realistic manner

And of course, the mud.

As seen previously in leaked demonstrations, the vehicle - all vehicles in fact - leave ruts in the track that remain throughout the entire race. As sections of track become increasingly chopped up, traction decreases when driving over these areas and they can turn into something of a hazard. Larger vehicles - though less manueverable - are less effected by these ruts. Of course this was something I was told rather than able to experience, as again only the buggy was playable.

The mud itself cakes itself upon the vehcles depending on how much is kicked up in their immediate surroundings. The vehicles start out spotless, but as the race progresses, can become more or less brown in coloration. Another great consideration, the mud actually seems to appear wet or dry, depending on how recently it has been kicked up onto the vehicle. I asked Simon about this and he confirmed that Evoution has provided for wet/dry dirt appearance on the vehicle, but I do not recall if he confirmed that the wet mud itself would actually take on the appearance of dried mud while on the vehicle; unfortunately I was playing when I asked, and thus my video recording did not pick up the answer for review.

Some other interesting points are that he mentioned Evolution is presently using Cell's SPEs for physics, collisions, and AI, among other things... The AI comment stood out for me in particular, since I have spoken to a number of developers at the show (those features upcoming) and Simon was the first to mention AI on the SPEs.

It's hard to tell whether the AI is 'good' or not - afterall the objective of the other vehicles is simple enough. But it was refreshing to see that the other vehicles actually fight with each other as well. In fact when playing I came upon a car that had spun out after colliding with another vehicle, and was forced to correct in order to avoid it as it moved back towards the center of the track.

Myself, I am not a big fan of rally games - but for those that are Motorstorm truly looks to bring things to the next level.

http://psinext.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=20&m_articles_articleid=541

Sounds nice. I can't wait to see it in motion.:)

RSP

blim, download server #6 is way faster for me than the others, does it have anything to do with the location of the servers?

after seeing the movie; it looks -nothing- like the target renders.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RSP said:
blim, download server #6 is way faster for me than the others, does it have anything to do with the location of the servers?

after seeing the movie; it looks -nothing- like the target renders.
Media6 is the only server of the pool with a full 100 mbits bandwidth and 100% dedicated. It's still in France though.

RSP

Blimblim said:
Media6 is the only server of the pool with a full 100 mbits bandwidth and 100% dedicated. It's still in France though.
ah thanks, it's just that I used to go for the "main download server" but I tried the others this time and #6 just went all out with my bandwidth :)

Oneself

I think it looks very good, but it seems like what's cool is to bash the PS3 (we all knew it wouldn't be like the target video). So here I go:

FUCKING HORRIBLE, IS THIS WHY YOU'LL PAY 600000$ !??!? C'MON I'LL GO BACK AND PLAY OFFROAD ON N64 CAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER!!!!:lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RSP said:
ah thanks, it's just that I used to go for the "main download server" but I tried the others this time and #6 just went all out with my bandwidth :)
The main download server has 50 mbits of bandwidth, it's usually more than enough. Not so during E3 ;)

Elios83

It looks really good.
Sure it isn't the same quality of last year CG but it still a very impressive looking title.Too bad that we can't see all the race,I wanted to see more phisics.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sharukins said:
Gamespot impressions have been most accurate this e3
The great thing about impressions is that you can often get a number of different perspectives on a thing and compare and contrast those perspectives. Stick to one source if you like, but I'd prefer to filter through a number of sources, thanks. The aggregated perspective I get from that is more informative.

Phranky

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
What happened to the good looking motion blur that appears here?
http://www.ps3.es/imagenes/motorstorm/motorstorm-3.jpg

What happened to 1080p at 60 frames per second? Also why were the detailed textures and enviroments replaced with something pulled out of a ps2 game? What happened to all the crazy physics with the mud and rocks? All that stuff from before was supposedly realtime, did something happen between then and now? Not trolling, just curious. :lol

Yeah, reality happened. LOL AMIRITE?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
looks alright I guess, the buggy looks good, also the dirt tracks makes it feel a bit livier, the environment is a bit bleh though.

But the real question is what's up with the sound of the MGS4 trailer in every video I download of a PS3 game??

Kangu

Banned
Why do so many PS3 games have underwheming texture work? The system has more than enough memory so I don't see why we're getting all this mediocre texture work.

The demo looks suprisingly good, but I think some better texture work could put it over the top.

Oneself said:
we all knew it wouldn't be like the target video

Ok that's it. Timeout.

Gonna have to call bullshit on this right now.

I knew that was a target video an effin' year ago, but a TON of fucking people on this forum did not. I remember, because I argued and argued over these damn things for what seemed eternity. This, Tekken, and Killzone. Back and forth, back and forth we went. So now that it's obvious Sony was full of shit, everyone can just go "oh yeah, i knew that shit wasn't real" and deny those in the know the pleasure of serving crow. FUCK THAT.

MFC16.jpg

Bon appetite, bitches.

PS- You can say "I" knew it wouldn't be like the target video, but don't go throwing "we" bullshit. Because half this forum thought otherwise.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
8 seconds isn't a lot to go by. At first glance, no, not up to the "potentially playable" bit from the E3 trailer, but the spirit of it, the chaos, seems to have been recreated quite well.

We need more video!

its amazing how many things were "obviously target videos" and not what was expected. First HS, now this. The DC is strong with this one.

Sal Paradise Jr said:
Ok that's it. Timeout.

PS- You can say "I" knew it wouldn't be like the target video, but don't go throwing "we" bullshit. Because half this forum thought otherwise.

Ok, somebody takes videogames way too seriously...

Anyway, the video looked wonderful. I can't wait to see the full video.

Elios83

meltpotato said:
its amazing how many things were "obviously target videos" and not what was expected. First HS, now this. The DC is strong with this one.

HS is really close to its original trailer if not the same.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
From that tiny clip it looks good. Hopefully the next 5 months will make the game look even better though. But it's hard to tell with less than 10 seconds of video.

GeoramA

Looks great at this point, but is this just some straight-forward racer? The target footage last year indicated to me that this was a death-race type of game.

Oneself

meltpotato said:

What, HS looks bad now?? Shit I'm not up to date on videogames lately....

mashoutposse

Ante Up
meltpotato said:
its amazing how many things were "obviously target videos" and not what was expected. First HS

HS is exactly like the E3 05 vid, as reported by many major sites, the developers themselves, and my own two eyes.

pinkatrophe said:
Ok, somebody takes videogames way too seriously...

Anyway, the video looked wonderful. I can't wait to see the full video.

You should see me right now. I just slammed my keyboard into 2 pieces (still works obviously lol), am completely red faced, with my veins ready to burst from my skin. Oh yeah and foam at the mouth. Lots of foaming.

Pimpwerx

Sal Paradise Jr said:
Ok that's it. Timeout.

Gonna have to call bullshit on this right now.

I knew that was a target video an effin' year ago, but a TON of fucking people on this forum did not. I remember, because I argued and argued over these damn things for what seemed eternity. This, Tekken, and Killzone. Back and forth, back and forth we went. So now that it's obvious Sony was full of shit, everyone can just go "oh yeah, i knew that shit wasn't real" and deny those in the know the pleasure of serving crow. FUCK THAT.

MFC16.jpg

Bon appetite, bitches.

And clearly a year later, no one has changed their minds. Some of you guys are trying too hard. PEACE.

Helznicht

I think it look great and most of all fun. But that terrain isnt actally deforming, its one of them new texture tricks, looks good reguardless.

Zen

Banned
meltpotato said:

Heavenly Sword looks just as good as it did a year ago.

RaijinFY

MightyHedgehog said:
Looks pretty okay, but that footage isn't enough to make any judgements off of. Looks really early.

I think this is one of most surprising thing here. A lot of things showed on Sony's botth looks early.

Speevy

Banned
One question I have is this. Why are these vehicles putting on fireworks displays for each other. Can't you just drive on a dirt road without sending sparks everywhere?

Top Bottom