• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

Speaking of which, was the online gameplay ever cleared up? Is it free to play online, and all that jazz, just that downloads and shit cost $?

gamespot said:
MotorStorm was conspicuous by its absence from Sony's pre-E3 conference earlier this week, but we're pleased to report that the demo we played today was well worth the wait.

Yet another happy PS3 demoererer.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tsp_gatmog said:
Speaking of which, was the online gameplay ever cleared up? Is it free to play online, and all that jazz, just that downloads and shit cost $?

I think Sony said that at least all their games would be free to play online. The Motorstorm guy mentions in the IGN preview that they're thinking about DLC, which they could charge for of course.

Flo_Evans

could someone that played it confirm that the tracks left are just texures or is it acctually forming ruts in the track? I can't tell from this vid >_<

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Flo_Evans said:
could someone that played it confirm that the tracks left are just texures or is it acctually forming ruts in the track? I can't tell from this vid >_<

Everyone reports the vehicles are affected by the ruts, so geometric ruts must be left. The buggy and bikes don't leave very big tracks, stuff like the rigs do.

Flo_Evans

yeah but is it reacting to a texture where the rut should be, or is the actual geometry deforming? IIRC in the GDC there was geometry deformation, but that was a single buggy by itself.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Flo_Evans said:
yeah but is it reacting to a texture where the rut should be, or is the actual geometry deforming?

Your physics would need geometry to collide against. Texture tricks don't really allow for that, the geometry itself doesn't change with them, just the appearance.

Speevy

Banned
So could a big truck create some sort of gap which another car hits, sending it flipping over at you and causing an explosion?

joshschw

gofreak said:
Your physics would need geometry to collide against. Texture tricks don't really allow for that, the geometry itself doesn't change with them, just the appearance.

not really true, as long the game knows there is a rut in the mud in can make the car react to it. doesn't really matter either way the visual appearence of actual geometry or texture tricks would be so minimal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
joshschw said:
not really true, as long the game knows there is a rut in the mud in can make the car react to it.

The easiest way to do that is with geometry, though, no? It seemed fairly clear from the GDC demo that it was actual geometry deformation. Regardless, certainly the physical interaction with the tracks was all there..if it looks like a track and it physically affects your vehicle as you'd expect, then that's a job well done.

jett

D-Member
Those are some pretty big words from Gamespot, saying the action matches the stuff from the CG trailer. I guess we'll see when more videos pop up. :p

Game looks great, with a caveat that doesn't need mentioning. As for the mud, it looks like parallax mapping, with the height displacement feeding the "rut" info for the wheel physics. That's my guess at least. :)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Now we have seen Motorstorm, what are the chances of a surprise showing of Killzone tomorrow? Could be a strategy of Sony, to show off their titles spread over 3 days.

RamzaIsCool said:
Now we have seen Motorstorm, what are the chances of a surprise showing of Killzone tomorrow? Could be a strategy of Sony, to show off their titles spread over 3 days.

That'd be completely unfair to Insomniac. Regardless of whether KZ does or does not live up to the E3 05 target, it'd undoubtedly be the topic of debate for weeks to come. Meanwhile, Insomniac's game that got little to no recognition at E3 05 but that is now the FPS highlight, would again be shoved aside in favour of a game that has already gotten far more time in the spotlight than the first game in the series warrants.

Striek

RamzaIsCool said:
Now we have seen Motorstorm, what are the chances of a surprise showing of Killzone tomorrow?
Its probably a Fall 2007 game (confirmed 2007), it won't be shown.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
F1 and WarHawk. :D
Ditch F1 for Resistance and pick up Lair whilst you're at it ;o)

RaijinFY said:
Btw is F1 any good?
It looks really bad. Hopefully it recieves some extra polish like Untold Legends is (from the screens released in March it already looks 10x better).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707911p1.html

The build was just flown in yesterday :D

According to Paul Hollywood, Art Director at Evolution Studios, the development of the game has been rather rapid in the past few days. In fact, they've been working so much on the title that they just received the latest build of the game that's currently on the show floor from England last night, so they quickly brought it over to the convention center and set it up. While the build was only about fifty percent complete, it was showing off a ton of effects, such as real time deformation of the track, HDR and motion blurring, tone mapping on the cars and the mud to show the additional layer of dirt that gets caked on vehicles, and depth of field. While Hollywood stated that it's been difficult to get the game up to the level of presentation that was shown at last year's Sony press conference, he thought that what they had was pretty impressive so far.

Once we jumped behind the wheel, it was pretty hard to disagree with him.
The game itself will be set in Monument Valley at the MotorStorm Festival, a massive multi-sensory event out in.

The implementation of Havok for the physics really was impressive as other competitors took out fellow drivers -- at one point, three drivers teamed up to drive the big rig into concrete barriers, at which point it exploded into a shower of sparks and car parts. Even the rogue wheels of this truck sank into some of the ruts of the dirt where previous cars had driven before firmly coming to rest in the mud. Even better were some of the celebrations and curses that were hurled at cars. Some drivers flipped off other racers, while some shook their fist. One guy on an ATV grabbed his crotch as he taunted a wreck that he passed. Obviously not one for the kids, but a lot of amusement for the adults.

MotorStorm is still planned for the launch, and we'll have more info whenever it's released.

Seems to be getting glowing previews from what I've seen (but I suppose that's the case with most anticipated games)

xaosslug

rastex said:
Well Madden is STILL getting raked over the coals for the whole target render -> realtime drop. And the drop we've seen from Killzone, MotorStorm etc is substantially greater.

I think the Killzone you saw was the PSP version. :p

RaijinFY

Striek said:
It looks really bad. Hopefully it recieves some extra polish like Untold Legends is (from the screens released in March it already looks 10x better).

Well, It didnt look too bad but if It happens to be a bad game, I wont be surprised.

Gek54

typhonsentra said:
I wanna see what the cars look like without any mud on them before I make final judgements on the graphics.

I am curious as to why that is of great importance to you.

RaijinFY

motorstorm.gif
:D

Striek said:
Ditch F1 for Resistance

Why would I want to do a silly thing like that?

driving >>>> shooting
dancefool0lj.gif

RaijinFY said:
Btw is F1 any good?

I don't know about '06, but gagarin over at F1 gamers has a play test and interview setup with Studio Liverpool, he's also a F1 nut, so we should get some great impressions and not the muck from American reporters who said the game is arcadey because the cars stop too quick when braking. :lol

Forums dedicated to Sony's F1 games where the developers lurk, maybe they'll start posting now that the game has been officially announced:

http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/bb/?a=topics&n=14&d=0

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Scytale said:
The graphics looked like a smooth xbox1 game.

But the physics make the driving look interesting.
...but they don't. The models are far more detailed than what you'd see on XBOX, the lighting is more complex, and the motion blur is superior. It's a game that must be seen in motion to be appreciated. Afterall, we all know this doesn't represent ITS game properly...

9835_8.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
sonycowboy said:
That pic is awesome :lol

And I think that he got cut off as well by that car.
w00t
lol and he actually seems to have weight
and doesnt have that "floaty" crap that we're used to seeing
thats awesome

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
m0dus said:
dude, I think you picked the most bland screenshot you could find. PGR has some of the most insane lighting effects you'll ever see, especially in the Las Vegas and Tokyo tracks.

point taken :)
Heh, good, that's what I was trying to show. :)

PGR3 is absolutely incredible looking, but still shots can't properly convey what's really going on in the game. Motion blur seems to be one of the biggest issues here, actually. It looks amazing while actually moving...but creates blurry, ugly screenshots at times.

Flo_Evans

blazinglasers said:
Game looks great, with a caveat that doesn't need mentioning. As for the mud, it looks like parallax mapping, with the height displacement feeding the "rut" info for the wheel physics. That's my guess at least. :)

this is what I suspect aswell. Am I out of my mind to expect full fluid dynamics simulation for mud this gen?

Top Bottom