• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Speevy said:
One question I have is this. Why are these vehicles putting on fireworks displays for each other. Can't you just drive on a dirt road without sending sparks everywhere?

I think the GAF Burnout threads have made them spark paranoid.

rastex

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
And clearly a year later, no one has changed their minds. Some of you guys are trying too hard. PEACE.

Well Madden is STILL getting raked over the coals for the whole target render -> realtime drop. And the drop we've seen from Killzone, MotorStorm etc is substantially greater.

It looks pretty good. I think the big thing that's missing is that there isn't a lot of mud/dirt being sprayed by each car. If they manage to fix that and up the game's framerate to 60, then this could be a serious contender.

rastex said:
Well Madden is STILL getting raked over the coals for the whole target render -> realtime drop. And the drop we've seen from Killzone, MotorStorm etc is substantially greater.

You've seen Killzone?

Pimpwerx

rastex said:
We haven't seen KZ, though it should drop (I don't expect it to be substantially though). Motorstorm looks like it might be further off than anything else, but I don't know. Apparently the detail is all there, which I don't quite see in the short video. I hope the full thing reveals more. I want to see the same bright, midday conditions on dry and wet sections. I'm not impressed right now, but have faith. PEACE.

SolidSnakex said:
You've seen Killzone?

Of course he has, you haven't?

That just confirmed it for me, by the way. No matter HOW good Killzone PS3 looks, no matter how close to the target it is (it could be identical), people will have their pre-written copy & paste replies ready.

"rastex" = exhibit A

Kangu

Banned
So does Motorstorm suddenly showing up, several days late, lend credence to the theory that GT4 HD was showcased so long because Motorstorm didn't make it in time?

jedimike

I'm a sucker for a good rally game... I'm very curious to see the final product. So far, this is the only PS3 game I'm really interested in.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
rastex said:

You seen Killzone? WHERE?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kangu said:
So does Motorstorm suddenly showing up, several days late, lend credence to the theory that GT4 HD was showcased so long because Motorstorm didn't make it in time?
Maybe so, but the best part about it is that they replaced Genji 2 to sub this in :lol

Pimpwerx

Helznicht said:
I think it look great and most of all fun. But that terrain isnt actally deforming, its one of them new texture tricks, looks good reguardless.
It's deforming. You can see it better in the GDC video. It's more than just a texture. PEACE.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pimpwerx said:
We haven't seen KZ, though it should drop (I don't expect it to be substantially though). Motorstorm looks like it might be further off than anything else, but I don't know. Apparently the detail is all there, which I don't quite see in the short video. I hope the full thing reveals more. I want to see the same bright, midday conditions on dry and wet sections. I'm not impressed right now, but have faith. PEACE.

Seems like it get better the more you see.

XBD from another forum says
but I've got seven minutes of footage of the game, and the more you watch it the better it gets.

BigBoss said:
Another good looking game, why wasn't this at Sony's press conference?

It doesn't make any sense. They haven't so much great stuff in their booth that they could've shown at the conference.

Speevy

Banned
More:

Well, the game *is* fun, I will say that... and I'm not normally a fan of rally games. For that very reason though, I don't know I can say exactly how long it would be fun for, but how can you when it comes to demos and demos alone?

Anyway the game looks good, the models are pretty well detailed - and of course fully destructible.

Background objects - cacti and such - are kind of a weak spot, so hopefully they'll improve on those.

I mean it's really all subjective so I'd say everyone make your own call on it after sites start releasing HD feeds, but I enjoyed it personally...

The thngs that make this game impressive though are not the visuals, it's important to keep that in context. I think they qualify as 'next-gen' fairly enough, but they are not the renders by any stretch,

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Snoopers' back online and resuming the upload.
it was all a scheme to get you guys to visit playsyde twice today. Haha, fools! ;)

rastex

Banned
You've seen Killzone?
Come on, you guys can't be that daft right? I mean Killzone LEVEL of graphics and immersion and such. Resistence is the closest comparison and it falls far short of the visual splendor that was displayed in KZ. And need I mention Tekken? My point wasn't specific games but instead the level of graphical fidelity promised and showcased by Sony last year and the massive drop that has occured in reality. Madden underwent a relatively very minor downgrade and got railed for it.

Doube D

rastex said:
Come on, you guys can't be that daft right? I mean Killzone LEVEL of graphics and immersion and such. Resistence is the closest comparison and it falls far short of the visual splendor that was displayed in KZ. And need I mention Tekken? My point wasn't specific games but instead the level of graphical fidelity promised and showcased by Sony last year and the massive drop that has occured in reality. Madden underwent a relatively very minor downgrade and got railed for it.

Why compare top graphics w/ mediocre ones when we already have much better examples ON THE SAME HARDWARE. The MGS 4 engine in first person, FFXIII engine in first person.... The system is 6 months short of release and you expect current visuals to be an indicator of what is and isn't possible? If anything, with games looking like MGS 4 and FFXIII TODAY, it makes Killzone cgi quality in real-time look a lot more likely.

Elios83

Just a word on Tekken.
Do you really believe that horrible trailer is representative of the game?With the level of graphics the team reached on PS2?With what they have just accomplished on PSP?
That must be obviously some kind of rushed cut scene made with a modified Tekken 5 engine (like GT HD),probably a sign that the game won't be out anytime soon.Of course they fairly take all the shame to have shown that shit but that is not Tekken 6.
Actually I had the first doubts when they announced Tekken 6.No way they don't make the arcade version and they still have to announce their PS3 based board.

RaijinFY

Elios83 said:
Just a word on Tekken.
Do you really believe that horrible trailer is representative of the game?With the level of graphics the team reached on PS2?With what they have just accomplished on PSP?
That must be obviously some kind of rushed cut scene made with a modified Tekken 5 engine (like GT HD),probably a sign that the game won't be out anytime soon.Of course they fairly take all the shame to have shown that shit but that is not Tekken 6.
Actually I had the first doubts when they announced Tekken 6.No way they don't make the arcade version and they still have to announce their PS3 based board.

Actually I have read somewhere Tekken 6 is planned for sometimes in 2007. A lot more reasurred! :) So it's easy to think the trailer was just Tekken 5 DR in HD (like GT HD) becasue they werent ready to show the real one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cheers for the footage, Blim! It seems to be much the same as the first 10 seconds in the original file, but longer. Shame little of the neat stuff IGN talked about is shown there. But it does look nice..

RaijinFY

There's still a lot of work for this game since it has been stated it's 50% complete. It looks good but I hope the races will be faster.

Why is all the footage chopped up and edited like that? Every few seconds the entire screen would pixellate and it'd cut to a different part of the race.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sal Paradise Jr said:
The mud tracks are just a texture trick, there's no realtime deformation.

I don't think the vehicles could physically respond to the tracks if it was just a texture trick. The geometry would need to be deformed.

That looks great and really fun. They should license Speed Tree or something though, some of the background foliage could use work. Sony sucks for removing rumble, this game is going to suffer a lot for it.

Elios83

Mmmmmmm I can't see all the interesting things based on phisics that are described in the hands on.The person who's playing doesn't even attempt to have a serious crash with the other cars...

GeoramA

gofreak said:
Nice touch :p
Even better were some of the celebrations and curses that were hurled at cars. Some drivers flipped off other racers, while some shook their fist. One guy on an ATV grabbed his crotch as he taunted a wreck that he passed. Obviously not one for the kids, but a lot of amusement for the adults.
LOL, this game sounds awesome!

The mud also kinda makes the cars look ugly. Wonder what they'd look like clean though...

The biggest problem I have though is with how vegetation just appears when you get close to certain areas. Doesn't look good.

Zonar

Mark Gonzales said:
Anyone who thought they would match the "cockpit" view in the trailers is obviously a moron. There is only on part in that whole trailer that even resembled gameplay and it's a about 2 seconds long. If you dissapoint by it not matching that you need to grow a brain.

Why are you mad at people thinking videogames movies shown to them are THE actual game they are representing, and not mad the company who grossly falsely advertised what will be in the game?

I’m so tired of people assuming that we should know better. THE COMPANIES should know better then to show stuff they can’t possibly back up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
typhonsentra said:
Why is all the footage chopped up and edited like that? Every few seconds the entire screen would pixellate and it'd cut to a different part of the race.
Snoopers is having issues with the firewire port of our laptop, we are getting packet loss and it's very bad when working with HDV streams :(

kevm3

This game looks pretty good and it looks fun, even though I'm not usually into these type of games. The lack of rumble definitely will suck though. I hope Sony changes its mind about not including the rumble.

Top Bottom