• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Macbeth (2015) - ★★☆☆☆
Not entirely sure I understood this movie. That old British language was hard to understand but I got somewhat used to it during the film. All I got from this though was that Macbeth and his wife plotted on taking down the reigning king to get that power, but by the end Macduff and Scottish troops take him out and he loses his power. That's really all I got from it, and I'm not even sure I understood it correctly.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - ★★★☆☆
Just finished watching Rogue One. That was pretty good. That one commander made of CGI was hella jarring though. And I'm sad the scene with the Stormtroopers in the water didn't make it in, and then one were we see an AT-AT shoot at Jyn and Carcassian from a frog perspective. It was also a little bit long, but overall I quite liked it, and yet I expected more out of the characters from the rebellion.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - ★★★☆☆
Just finished watching Rogue One. That was pretty good. That one commander made of CGI was hella jarring though. And I'm sad the scene with the Stormtroopers in the water didn't make it in, and then one were we see an AT-AT shoot at Jyn and Carcassian from a frog perspective. It was also a little bit long, but overall I quite liked it, and yet I expected more out of the characters from the rebellion.

They were rebels, weren't they? They rebelled
against your expectations

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I love Freddy as a character but Nightmare was always pretty lame to me. That said Dream Warriors was the best that series produced. I think the shitty tv series soured me a bit or maybe his dream world's were too brightly colored. Eh out of the big series I grew up with, this one ranks lowest.

The first two Halloweens...three really, are damn good. Part three is a departure on purpose but then things go back to Michael and kind of fall apart from four up but their all still fun though. Carpenter did the first one, that's reason enough to watch it.

Friday the 13th is great but it's all over the damn place as a series. The first is not so much like the rest and they get dumber and campier as it wears on. I bought the set and blew through them a few years back and had a lot of fun with them. Actually the space one is pretty much my favorite just because it was so dumb. But...the first one is great cinema.

I'd say catch the first of each series at least. The second two of both are also worth watching to see them continue each series and after that both series pretty much stabilize and follow the formula although H3 is offbeat. None of these are scary so much but each series is fun in its own way.

I watched the first Halloween last night. I thought it was better than Nightmare on Elm Street - still not scary, but much more suspenseful and tense. I was surprised by the lack of gore.

Michael Meyers is a way better villain than Krueger. That lumbering, heavy breathing, pale, faceless Frankenstein-with-a-knife thing he's got going is pretty legit.

On to Halloween 2 and Friday the 13th!

Macbeth (2015) - ★★☆☆☆
Not entirely sure I understood this movie. That old British language was hard to understand but I got somewhat used to it during the film. All I got from this though was that Macbeth and his wife plotted on taking down the reigning king to get that power, but by the end Macduff and Scottish troops take him out and he loses his power. That's really all I got from it, and I'm not even sure I understood it correctly.

That's the main gist of it, but there's a lot more to it. With Shakespeare adaptations I always find it's easier to follow the language if I've already read the play before. Macbeth is pretty dope, definitely my favorite Shakespeare. I liked the 2015 adaptation pretty well, but if language was a barrier for you I recommend Throne of Blood. Kurosawa captures the poetry of it with visuals, while changing up the dialogue to more standard speaking rythems. Polanski's Macbeth is easily my favorite of the more faithful adaptations though.

Macbeth has had some really damn good adaptations for sure

Polanski one is my favorite too. Such an oppressive Gothic atmosphere to it 🔥🔥

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think I can watch anything else Macbeth rekted without comparing it to the goat jimmy neutron episode. Sorry fam

So on this, the eve of The Fast and The Furious PART 8 (jesus christ wat), I decided to skim through the series. Not doing a full rewatch because I've rewatched 1, 2, 3, and 5 way too much in my life already, but my general feelings are:

- TF&TF and 2F2F are a ton of fun because the scripts are dumb and quotable
- Tokyo Drift is the best racing movie, and the characters are endearing in a mid-2000s B tier videogame way
- Fast 4 is zzzzzz
- Fast 6 is solid but wacky to the point of diminishing returns and the script loses some of that spark of 5.
- Furious 7 is basically 6 but bigger/louder and worse. Ending is beautiful though.

But Fast Five? Mannnnnn, Fast Five is so far above the rest of these movies it's kinda crazy. The cast chemistry, the action, the grit, the BRAZIL, the chases, The Rock being ferocious and constantly sweaty, the characters coming together from various movies for the first time, the pacing..... Beautiful. It legitimately feels like a BBQ Family La Familia Chillout™ (feat. Corona ®), except people are throwing fists and driving down the street with a huge bank vault attached via chain to 2 amazing racing vehicles. They've been trying to recapture this ever since, but they'll never replicate it. The stars aligned for Fast Five.

kevin1025

Banned
The Fate of the Furious

I always get distracted in movies when the villain is incredibly evil to the point of being cartoonish. I also get distracted when they give someone the chance to kill them, and instead of killing them the hero does nothing. Just shoot them in the leg or something, don't kill them. Prove a point, damn it. Don't wuss out.

But then I got Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson chemistry, which is too good, and Statham got one of the more fun action scenes I've seen in some time.

The movie is certainly weaker than Fast Five, and maybe even 6 and 7, but had some really fantastic action beats and character moments.

But man did it have some problems when Vin Diesel was involved.

I think we reach peak FAMILY with this one...

Fast & Furious 6 (6.5/10) - We shift gears again, and this time the franchise evolves into a James Bond supplement. Globetrotting adventures, evil villain masterminds, and enough ridiculous, over the top CGI spectacle to do the Pierce Brosnan era proud. After Fast Five, this is inevitably a bit of a letdown. The film picks up a lot of pieces from Fast & Furious, and the focus is again on Letty, now alive and well and suffering from amnesia. Whereas Fast & Furious maybe didn't totally work for me because I already knew Letty wasn't dead, Fast & Furious 6 maybe doesn't totally work for me because this whole plot is goddamn stupid. (Can we talk for a minute about Brian going back to LA and how that whole subplot and the way it feeds back into the main story was a poorly written mess of plotting?) This thing is ridiculously convoluted and overwritten. All of the echoes to the fourth installment also somehow bring with it the fourth installment's problems, as we're back to action scenes becoming muddled with cheesy special effects and overbearing, overdesigned action choreography (that whole runway strip conclusion was mad stupid). The only action scene that I loved was the tank scene, as the practical focus brought echoes of the wonderful car carnage from Fast Five, but again, it ends on something of a whiff, a preposterous stunt rendered with lousy, unconvincing CGI. It's perhaps appropriate that this moment looks like a cartoon, since that's basically what the franchise seems to be now. And that's fine, I still enjoyed this movie up to a point (it's still more entertaining and endearing than the second or fourth installments), all I'm saying is: It looks like Fast Five is the film to beat from here on out (I'm feeling you on this one, Net_Wrecker), the perfect actualization of all previous F&F elements, and while Fast & Furious 6 blows up the scale again, the results are diminishing.

Now, to focus on the things I liked. Thank god for The Rock, his presence alone pretty much carries this whole mess through. I'm in for as many more sequels as he cares to star in, because I absolutely love his character and performances in these last two entries. Also, the aforementioned tank scene, it's seriously fucking great. I loved it ("We need more alphabets!"). Also, I loved that the antagonists were basically the FAMILY's evil twins, and it was really cool to see Joe Taslim (Jaka from The Raid) in another movie. The F&F franchise is starting to become self-aware, too, with characters basically pointing out that this is a James Bond film and not like previous entries, and Luke Evans explaining the theme of FAMILY to Toretto in one scene, and in that same damn scene, even talking about the evolution of the franchise itself ("A street kid starts out stealing DVD players in East LA, ends up heisting a hundred million dollars in Rio. It's a good story, isn't? Almost inspiring." You know, Luke Evans, it sort of is!). And, finally, the single best part of the whole thing: Han, and the way everything finally ties back in to Tokyo Drift.

This is a good moment to spend a bit of extra time writing about the franchise as a whole, because I'm seriously impressed with it now on a couple levels, and also I guess Han is finally dead (again) and his role in these films deserves a eulogy. I had no idea I was sleeping on such a good action franchise, for starters (Fast Five is legit one of the best blockbusters so far this century, I'd say, and Tokyo Drift is transcendent), but even more impressive, I had no idea I was sleeping on a franchise that was so diverse, suffused with so much positive imagery and idealism (not to mention, after the first film, this franchise has been helmed exclusively by black and Asian filmmakers; and didn't I just read that the new installment represents the biggest budget ever given to a black filmmaker?). Luke Evans is right, it's genuinely inspiring. My favorite part of Fast Five was Han getting the girl, so to speak, and riding off with Gal Gadot, because why not? And to my relief (though really, I had no reason to doubt Justin Lin), nobody even blinks or cracks any jokes about this in Fast & Furious 6. It's a breath of fresh air. It's to this story's credit that the emotion of their relationship and sacrifice in the sixth installment even works in the face of that ridiculous climax. When Tej tells Han they'll always have his back at the end, I almost had a tear in my eye. There's a surprisingly complex sense of fatalism and melancholy to Han's character, and the way the story has been structured over multiple installments (and seriously, this franchise does retcons surprisingly well). And somehow, it all enriches that third film. I went back and watched parts of Tokyo Drift and almost teared up again. Whereas I had initially found the "whack philosophy" of the earlier films endearing in their silly quotability and simple sincerity, these scenes now resonated emotionally in a way they never did before. Even that line I called out before, "Life is simple, you make choices and never look back," now doubles as insight into the way the adventures and tragedies of the franchise have shaped the wise old Drift Jedi who trains Sean, shaped the code by which he lives and drifts, and even honors the memory of Gisele and her sacrifice (Also, when he says, "I got money," I fucking SCREAMED, because of course he does, he's a millionare! This fucking franchise!) Bless up to Sung Kang, Justin Lin, Chris Morgan and everybody involved in crafting one of the most unique and singular roles in a modern blockbuster franchise, a fascinating and surprisingly complex, multi-installment, non-linear, bittersweet adventure of life and love and fate and death and FAMILY and drifting. This whole journey has been worth it just to witness this absolute brilliance. I can't believe I was sleeping on this franchise.

RIP, Han.

RIP to the best character in contemporary blockbuster franchises.

Let's drift.

UrbanRats

The Void (Gillespie & Kostanski, 2017) - It's a very cool cosmic horror film, with what seems a modest budget utilized very carefully.
It's essentially Prince of Darkness grotesquely fused with Silent Hill (and the director is called Gillespie, oh oh oh), but as a throwback i didn't find it as visually and sonically striking as Beyond the Black Rainbow, though it feels much more coherent than that one, in basically any other department.

It's good in its own right, even without the throwback element, which is the important part.
If i saw this as a kid i'm sure it would've stuck with me big time.

Rewatched Rogue One. It's pretty incredible what Disney has done with this series. R1 has got to be top 3 for me.
It's incredible how Disney made me way less interested in the future of the Star Wars franchise with just this film. Can't wait for that Hans Solo film that I care nothing about!

smisk

Macbeth (2015) - ★★☆☆☆

I started this awhile ago. It was beautiful but I had no idea what was going on so I quit after 30 minutes. Got the play from the library intending to read it but haven't started yet.

I don't understand a lot of the dialogues of Macbeth (2015) either, but I think the visual of the film was able to tell most of the story. I also think that the film is more of a visual experience, but that's just me.

Split - M.N. Shyamalan

Lmao. How was I not spoiled. Movie was not particularly good but the moment that music kicks in my mouth was wide opened.

In this day and age to accomplish this....congrats!.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I always turn subtitles on for any Shakespeare adatation. It helps in comprehension and just makes it a more enjoyable experience. I'd also recommend just reading through the wiki plot summary first for anything you haven't seen. It's not like you're spoiling the story or something, it doesn't really work that way.

Blader

I always turn subtitles on for any Shakespeare adatation. It helps in comprehension and just makes it a more enjoyable experience. I'd also recommend just reading through the wiki plot summary first for anything you haven't seen. It's not like you're spoiling the story or something, it doesn't really work that way.

This is what I did with the 2015 Macbeth.

For Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, which I had also never read the play for, I just asked my girlfriend every 10 minutes who that person was, and how they did know that person, and why did they just do that. I was the most stereotypical annoying viewer in the world.

Has a woman ever put on a dramatic amount of weight specifically for a role, like Robert De Niro or Christian Bale? I can't think of one and now I'm obsessed with the idea that it could be low-hanging fruit for someone to clean up awards.

MoodyFog

Has a woman ever put on a dramatic amount of weight specifically for a role, like Robert De Niro or Christian Bale? I can't think of one and now I'm obsessed with the idea that it could be low-hanging fruit for someone to clean up awards.

Charlize Theron for Monster?

welp star wars is now my most most hyped movie.

ANwEiPi.gif

Persona is fucking amazing. How much Ingmar Bergman packs in just 84 minutes is inspiring, more filmmakers need to cut the fluff and go straight for the jugular.
persona_by_digi_matrix-db5tuzf.gif

persona_three_shot_by_digi_matrix-db5tv06.gif

persona_film_by_digi_matrix-db5tv0l.gif

persona_film_split_torn_by_digi_matrix-db5tv12.gif

It did inspire Robert Altman's 3 Women obviously, the whole ~90 min runtime was a big thing for Woody Allen who's the biggest Bergman fanboy along with more homage like a few of his films which I should see (Interiors, Love And Death), and the recent Queen Of Earth (two women in a secluded place losing it) with a similar runtime.

I need more crazy Bergman. I've only seen The Seventh Seal and Winter Light out of his others. Is there another film of his on this experimental and weird level? Or should I move onto Wild Strawberries or Cries And Whispers, anyway? This MUBI dude says Shame and Smiles Of A Summer Night are better than Persona.

Kong: Skull Island (2017) - so elder son and I decided to hit a flick today and this was the one we settled on. I've only ever seen the first Fast and Furious and came away unimpressed by its Point Break cloniness, so going to see Fate really isn't on the agenda. Also, we figured the theater would be fairly empty. We did wind up having maybe 20 people in there.

All that being said, hooooooly fuuuuuuck this movie was a freakin' blast! No dicking around for 45 minutes before you show Kong. Yes, there's some buildup and the whole "we need to go out there to see what this uncharted island looks like blah blah blah." That all serves to introduce us to the redshirts ... I mean, the characters. And yes there's a little attachment along the way to some of them. But I'll agree with others that John C. Reilly is the star of this movie. Dude really injected some humanity into what was a lot of cardboard cutout characters.

And well, Kong. Jesus. Just amazing. The fights are incredible. There are some solid jump moments. There are some solid cringe moments. And there are a shit-ton of "fuck yeah" moments.

I haven't looked to see whether there's an OT for this movie, but if so, the title should be "Yeah That Was An Unconventional Encounter." Some cool quips along the way but this one stood out.

4 / 5 - hyped for a sequel. Will likely own this on bluray.

Hell or High Water isn't a spectacular movie, but it's pretty damn good. Solid cast all around, probably the best Chris Pine performance I've seen. Can you imagine having a brother that is just infinitely more handsome than you? You'd probably be a criminal too. And Jesus, those wide open Texas skies are stunning.

One of my favorite aspects was how it showed these small town Texan characters who clearly pined for the old days. So many wannabe cowboys. And then it shows an actual cowboy, and he's like this fucking sucks. Made me lol.

Persona is fucking amazing. How much Ingmar Bergman packs in just 84 minutes is inspiring, more filmmakers need to cut the fluff and go straight for the jugular.
persona_by_digi_matrix-db5tuzf.gif

persona_three_shot_by_digi_matrix-db5tv06.gif

persona_film_by_digi_matrix-db5tv0l.gif

persona_film_split_torn_by_digi_matrix-db5tv12.gif

It did inspire Robert Altman's 3 Women obviously, the whole ~90 min runtime was a big thing for Woody Allen who's the biggest Bergman fanboy along with more homage like a few of his films which I should see (Interiors, Love And Death), and the recent Queen Of Earth (two women in a secluded place losing it) with a similar runtime.

I need more crazy Bergman. I've only seen The Seventh Seal and Winter Light out of his others. Is there another film of his on this experimental and weird level? Or should I move onto Wild Strawberries or Cries And Whispers, anyway? This MUBI dude says Shame and Smiles Of A Summer Night are better than Persona.

I haven't seen one as crazy as Persona, but of the ones I've seen I liked Through a Glass Darkly better.

Persona is his most formally crazy, but The Silence, Fanny & Alexander, The Passion of Anna, Hour of the Wolf, and Through A Glass Darkly are all varying levels of surreal.

Shame and Smiles of a Summer Night are not better than Persona, but they're great.

And Wild Strawberries and Cries and Whispers are also great.

Watch everything.

Hell or High Water isn't a spectacular movie, but it's pretty damn good. Solid cast all around, probably the best Chris Pine performance I've seen. Can you imagine having a brother that is just infinitely more handsome than you? You'd probably be a criminal too. And Jesus, those wide open Texas skies are stunning.

One of my favorite aspects was how it showed these small town Texan characters who clearly pined for the old days. So many wannabe cowboys. And then it shows an actual cowboy, and he's like this fucking sucks. Made me lol.

There are a lot of great Texas details. I love how dangerous it is to commit crimes because every doddering old man bystander will pull out a revolver and start shooting.

Kazaam

For such a lucrative filmmaker, there are very few films I personally think are not worth watching. I guess there's no point in mentioning the well known essentials (which are already too many to name), but definitely give a chance to films like Riten or Prison or Hour of the Wolf (though this one can probably fit in the well known films category). While these films might not reach the heights of Bergman's essential filmography, they're sure interesting and testimony to his talent.

EDIT: An essential film from Bergman that I haven't seen mentioned yet and is close to Persona (not through it's experimental perspective but through it's two-women powerful showcase) is Autumn Sonata. Both this and Cries and Whispers still feel like horror films to me.

Criterion should put out a Bergman bluray set. I've only seen around 3 movies of his but he is great enough for me to just blind buy multiple films and not feel like I wasted my money.

I like collecting shit. Plus I don't got filmstruck yet. Waiting on it to become available in Canada. As soon as it is tho I'm on it for sure

10 of his works are already available from criterion on blu-ray. There's a bunch more that I wish they would give the BR treatment but that's not bad.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just saw the Zookeeper's Wife. Pretty good movie about another real story of normal people doing everything they could to help the Jews escape the Nazis. Chastain gives a really good performance and there are some very tense and anxious scenes.

Also is Daniel Bruhl going to get type cast as the sleazy Nazi in every movie? I saw his name in the credits and knew what character he was going to play lol

Ridley327

Miss Hokusai: A lovely little tale of Edo that centers on more a trio of artists than merely on the title character, though her perspective is invaluable. The episodic structure allows for the film to go down a lot of big shifts in genre, which range all the way from gentle slice of life drama to outright horror, keeping the proceedings pleasantly unpredictable. It was also neat to see how they handled the near-mythological status of the best artists of that era, incorporating a lot of local legends to help illustrate the creative spark that artists felt when composing their stronger works. That's all brought to vivid life with the beautiful artwork that combines both a realistic rendition of the era that gets merged with some fabulous recreations of some of the era's most important pieces. As it's not terribly concerned with having much in the way of an overall plot, which I'll admit does make for a fairly underwhelming finale, nearly all of the investment comes from the interactions each of the characters have with one another, both big and small, which I had no issues with as O-Ei has a strong personality that makes her compelling throughout the film, as we see the full spectrum of her strengths and insecurities when interacting with everyone, most of all her own family. As someone who likes looser films of this sort, this was a real treat indeed.

Fate of the Furious - Better than 6 and 7. Theron and Statham MVPs. Banter is still mostly terrible. Nathalie Emmanuel is bae. Would kill orphans for her.

So I saw Pain and Gain a couple nights ago....what an interesting, kind of weird movie. Like, Michael Bay essentially criticizing and satirizing his own filmography is a rad move. Except even then he still can't help but glorify hyper-masculinity. And the movie is clearly trying to be funny but super isn't. Still! It was pretty fun, and nice to see just a little peak, a little glimpse of thought beyond how to make the biggest explosions from ol' Mikey.

kevin1025

Banned
Pain and Gain is him trying to ape his favorite filmmakers the Coens in his own brain-dead way. The Rock is great in it though.

I would make a case for The Rock being great in everything, but then I'd have to watch all his movies, which I'm not even remotely interested in doing.

Pain and Gain is him trying to ape his favorite filmmakers the Coens in his own brain-dead way. The Rock is great in it though.

Yeah well I mean, it's The Rock. He is actually too charming.

And I had no idea Bay was a Coen Bros fan, but uh yeah. That explains a lot about Pain and Gain. Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom