• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Probably my favorite intro sequence ever.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Dope: 4/10. Nope. Tonally all over the place, worst of all just not funny. Seriously going to spend like 5 minutes on "how come white people can't say the N word?" *eyeroll* Hated the way it switched to slickly produced studio cuts whenever the live band was playing their shit songs. I was all set to make a joke about how this movie starring Lisa Faux-net but it turns out it's her daughter lol. Sweet ass soundtrack tho.

TheFlow

Banned
Dope: 4/10. Nope. Tonally all over the place, worst of all just not funny. Seriously going to spend like 5 minutes on "how come white people can't say the N word?" *eyeroll* Hated the way it switched to slickly produced studio cuts whenever the live band was playing their shit songs. I was all set to make a joke about how this movie starring Lisa Faux-net but it turns out it's her daughter lol. Sweet ass soundtrack tho.

Are you white?

Song to Song (6.5/10) - Well, I suppose this is a nice "trilogy of disconnection" that Malick has produced here (with To the Wonder and Knight of Cups being the first two), a trilogy with many similarities both thematic and aesthetic. After Song to Song, however, I'm certainly relieved that this chapter of his work has concluded, as each entry has produced significantly more diminishing returns. I'd still give this a thumbs up, for all the soulful beauty Malick is still able to muster, but this is also the worst film Malick has produced to date. And I'm surprised that my chief complaint with this film, of all possible complaints, is that... it has too much plot. And so much of it is dull and shopworn, given the subject matter (love triangles, the music industry). The entire middle section with the record deal contract and everything that occurs between Cook and Faye, and BV's growing jealousy and insecurity... it almost put me to sleep. The stuff that comes after, the focus on longing and drifting and ennui, and especially the way BV and Faye confront images of themselves in their parents, family, and each other... that's the good stuff, that's what the movie needed to focus more on. There are otherwise too many characters, many of whom barely get enough screen time to make an impression, and that hurts a lot of the subplots. Some of it just feels dramatically unfocused. The entire subplot with Natalie Portman's character is a swing and a miss. I've never seen Malick whiff so hard in his career. And Cook basically disappears from the movie after that, so what gives? Not sure I feel the ending, either. I was half expecting LOVE to fly out of the screen ala Murnau's Faust (not to mention the lesbian subplot and how that figures back into the main plot, which again... yeah, not sure how I felt about that). There's just... wow, there's too much fucking plot in this thing.

This makes it sound like I hated it but of course I didn't. Pass the kool-aid, I'm always thirsty. I could really use that Radegund palate cleanser right about now, though.

Song to Song (6.5/10) - Well, I suppose this is a nice "trilogy of disconnection" that Malick has produced here (with To the Wonder and Knight of Cups being the first two), a trilogy with many similarities both thematic and aesthetic. After Song to Song, however, I'm certainly relieved that this chapter of his work has concluded, as each entry has produced significantly more diminishing returns. I'd still give this a thumbs up, for all the soulful beauty Malick is still able to muster, but this is also the worst film Malick has produced to date. And I'm surprised that my chief complaint with this film, of all possible complaints, is that... it has too much plot. And so much of it is dull and shopworn, given the subject matter (love triangles, the music industry). The entire middle section with the record deal contract and everything that occurs between Cook and Faye, and BV's growing jealousy and insecurity... it almost put me to sleep. The stuff that comes after, the focus on longing and drifting and ennui, and especially the way BV and Faye confront images of themselves in their parents, family, and each other... that's the good stuff, that's what the movie needed to focus more on. There are otherwise too many characters, many of whom barely get enough screen time to make an impression, and that hurts a lot of the subplots. Some of it just feels dramatically unfocused. The entire subplot with Natalie Portman's character is a swing and a miss. I've never seen Malick whiff so hard in his career. And Cook basically disappears from the movie after that, so what gives? Not sure I feel the ending, either. I was half expecting LOVE to fly out of the screen ala Murnau's Faust (not to mention the lesbian subplot and how that figures back into the main plot, which again... yeah, not sure how I felt about that). There's just... wow, there's too much fucking plot in this thing.

This makes it sound like I hated it but of course I didn't. Pass the kool-aid, I'm always thirsty. I could really use that Radegund palate cleanser right about now, though.
I honesty laughed to myself when the thing that happens to Portman's "character" happens. It was one of the most forced emotional moments I've ever seen, like Malick took some advice from some Hallmark Channel producers.

Movie got fucking wack when it veered into selling molly online. Wtf was that all about. I was expecting a black high school movie and then got that basura. And then that dollar store spike Lee monologue at the end. Bleh. Hope somebody else takes a stab at something like this though. It had a a lot of promise at the start

I really like the main guy tho he is dope in the get down.

Oh and it was great seeing kap g in here and I wanted to give it a standing ovation when they shoot tyga.

Yeah Dope got really dumb. I too thought it was gonna be a funny, low key slice of life thing but then it turned into like...a 21 style instantly forgettable "clever" plan movie except instead of gambling and being angsty they're selling molly and making bad jokes.

JTripper

8 1/2: ok, what the fuck.

I admit, I didn't give this film my undivided attention when I first saw it a few years ago, but the way the film comes together in the end as a fictional narrative film, autobiographical film, and a perfectly structured combination of the two (to the point that deciphering whether what's happening is a dream or reality becomes impossible) is simply unbelievable and, quite frankly, unmatched in cinema based on what I've seen. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a film more reflexive than it before.

The whole idea that what the viewer just watched was a story about a struggling director, which in turn is really just Fellini speaking about himself, to the conclusion that implies that the film we just watched WAS in fact the film that the "struggling director" was trying to make and finally did make
is simply as good as it can get. Bravo, Fellini.

Icolin

Banned
Movie got fucking wack when it veered into selling molly online. Wtf was that all about. I was expecting a black high school movie and then got that basura. And then that dollar store spike Lee monologue at the end. Bleh. Hope somebody else takes a stab at something like this though. It had a a lot of promise at the start

I really like the main guy tho he is dope in the get down.

Oh and it was great seeing kap g in here and I wanted to give it a standing ovation when they shoot tyga.
I only watched it to see ASAP Rocky, and to hopefully watch Tyga get his nonce ass beat.

Movie was rubbish.

Age of Shadows - Kim Jee Woon

It's a shame that between I Saw the Devil and this there were 6 years apart (with a terrible incursion through the lowest possible garbage of american movies). It's a stylish espionage-thriller movie with some very interesting staged scenes (the opening, the train sequence, the arrest, the bolero ending) but everything in-between is a bit muddled, and frankly, lifeless. The dramatic outcome of the second part really has no point of origin. For such a long film most characters are complete aliens to me, outside of the main character (as always Song Kang-ho delivers) which makes the road between the good sequences a bit tedious.

kevin1025

Banned
Age of Shadows - Kim Jee Woon

It's a shame that between I Saw the Devil and this there were 6 years apart (with a terrible incursion through the lowest possible garbage of american movies). It's a stylish espionage-thriller movie with some very interesting staged scenes (the opening, the train sequence, the arrest, the bolero ending) but everything in-between is a bit muddled, and frankly, lifeless. The dramatic outcome of the second part really has no point of origin. For such a long film most characters are complete aliens to me, outside of the main character (as always Song Kang-ho delivers) which makes the road between the good sequences a bit tedious.

I plan on watching this tomorrow. Kim Jee-Woon needs to be more prolific, I love the hell out of anything he does (well, less so The Last Stand... his South Korean output, though *kisses finger and thumb*).

Jarnet87

Suicide Squad

I felt like I was watching Sucker Punch for the first half of this movie. It's less terrible in the 2nd half. DC please stop. 3/10

Warcraft

I expected Warcraft to be bad, but it's actually not bad at all lol. They got the look of the games down really well, it's got that newer Marvel feel where they don't tune down costumes or set pieces.The animation on the Orcs is good, and as someone who likes the Warcraft games but hasn't really followed the lore the story was entertaining. 6/10.

Theorry

Suicide Squad

I felt like I was watching Sucker Punch for the first half of this movie. It's less terrible in the 2nd half. DC please stop. 3/10

Huh. Isnt it the otherway arround? The whole beginning is pretty good with the introduction of everybody. When they go on "mission" it becomes a complete shitshow.

I plan on watching this tomorrow. Kim Jee-Woon needs to be more prolific, I love the hell out of anything he does (well, less so The Last Stand... his South Korean output, though *kisses finger and thumb*).

My post is more critical than my enjoyment of the movie. I've been pissy lately. It's a good movie.

Pachimari

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - ★★★★★
I decided to give Guardians of the Galaxy a rewatch as I've been in such of mood for them, and it's every bit a masterpiece, if not a modern classic to me as ever. I actually enjoyed it much more this time around without all the girlfriend drama I had to manage in the theater.

Just such an amazing movie, and I hope we get to see more of Peter's home planet next week. I would love to see what he grew up with around Terra, and to even see more new planets, races and technology out there.

I have to say Ronan the Accuser had the coolest spaceship out there, but it was equally a feat how the Nova Corps and Ravagers could keep the Dark Aster at bay. And all of these places we were introduced to, Morag, Xander, Knowhere, Kyln and Cloud Tombs of Praxius. I would actually love to see more from Meredith Quill in the sequel too.

Here's for the Milano next week!

Batman (1989) - ★★★★☆
Also saw the 1989 film of Batman for the first time. I was taken aback by Jack Nicholson which was phenomenal. The same actually goes for Kim Basinger who I thought was stunning and very compassionate about her character. It really worked. I laughed at some of the action parts, how stiff Batman's cowl was and how he so easily got shot down in his first scene, where I had expected something grander. But aside those small weird choices and misses, the score really is something else too, and more memorable than anything in comic book movies today. And oh do I still love this version of the Batmobile. Great Batman film that stood find on its own. Guess I should go on to watch the next ones that followed!

Yep, Dope is shit just like Me, Earl & The Girl or whatever.

I thought I was gonna see a cute and smart indie movie(s) about teenagers and boy I was wrong.

Divius

Busy stuff has me watching less than usual but I'm still trucking on. Quick thoughts on a couple:

Personal Shopper - Pretty cool take on grief and ghosts and stuff. Didn't much care for the text-messaging stuff, which unfortunately took up a lot of time in the latter half. Stewart was good. Another solid entry in the K.STEW-O.ASS collabz. 7/10
Miami Vice DC - It's really cool yo. Very unique. I wish the guns were louder, I remember them being louder in Heat. 7/10
Get Out - I didn't really buy into the hype, but this was great. Has its faults, but I really dug the concept and execution. 7.5/10
Keeping Up with the Joneses - It's drab, but watchable drab. Director Greg Mottola continues his downward spiral. Galifianakis as the straight guy didn't really work and I want Isla Fisher to be my spouse. Jon Hamm will do as well. 4.5/10

kevin1025

Banned
My post is more critical than my enjoyment of the movie. I've been pissy lately. It's a good movie.

I'm the same, you have to be in the right headspace or in the mood for particular movies.

Free Fire

This one was fun. Fantastic cast, though characterization was a little thin. The banter during the whole ordeal was pretty great, and the amount of damage some of these people can take was pretty funny. The geography of the movie could have been a little more planned, like using the van as a centering point to where everyone was at. But I had a great time watching it, and am so glad I finally got to see it.

Now it's time for Personal Shopper and Your Name for the rest of the evening!

smisk

I was browsing FilmStruck today and came across Boiling Point (1990). I was immediately interested when I saw it was a Japanese film about baseball, but didn't realize until I started watching that it's one of Beat Takeshi's early films. This was a kinda weird movie but I liked it quite a bit. It doesn't have a super clear plot, and sometimes feels more like a group of loosely connected (and sometimes ridiculous) scenes.
This is one of those films that (initially at least) has pretty mundane subject matter. The main character plays for a mediocre baseball team who never wins, and works at a gas station. It takes place largely in Japanese suburbs and on Okinawa so it's kinda nice to see a different side of the country. There are some great shots of the Japanese countryside, and he tends to favor static shots which I enjoyed. I don't want to spoil anything more but if you can stomach odd films I'd encourage you to check this out. It's on FilmStruck right now, but I believe it's being pulled on the 27th so jump on it if you're interested.
There's a couple other Takeshi films I'm gonna try and watch before they're removed as well.

Pachimari

The Fantastic Four (2015) - ★★☆☆☆
This really wasn't too bad at all. I mean, it had me entertained, but at parts it gets too monotonous being in this one industry complex and it all goes to shit when Dr. Doom is introduced. But the general atmosphere, the vibe and the cast was really great. Could have probably used something more adventurous, villainous or something on a greater scale, or something that felt greater than this weak attempt at a plot introducing a dark hole swarming up the entire Earth for Doom's body in the last arc.

TissueBox

Thinking of giving Babel another chance. I believe 21 Grams is probably still Innaritu's most decent flick, even when it was heavyhanded -- it at least channeled it raw. That said, Babel is ambitious, overly so, yet feels like a logical evolution. Might be something there.

SeanC

Blood Father - Fun little action flick carried solely by Mel Gibson's performance. There's some ok action directing going on but it plateaus by the final third. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. I still feel like the director, Richet, has a great film that could be amazing in him somewhere.

Charade - Been a spell since I've seen it, still holds up even though the comedy doesn't quite pop as well as it should. As great as Donen is as a director, he wasn't quite right for this. Serviceable, but it lacks a style or flare to it. But the script and performances are amazing. It's a fun thriller and damn if Hepburn just isn't looking amazing in every frame (even if the romance turns creepy considering Grant's age, but this isn't the only 60s-era Grant movie with him robbing some cradles).

They call it the "best Hitchcock film Hitchcock didn't make" but I think it's just a step behind that. Besides we all know the best Hitchcock move that Hitchcock didn't make is clearly done by Gus Van Sant in 1998.

Yep, Dope is shit just like Me, Earl & The Girl or whatever.

I thought I was gonna see a cute and smart indie movie(s) about teenagers and boy I was wrong.

That was pretty damn corny too. Main character was the most generic amalgam of all those twee indie movie teen characters you've seen in the last 10 years.

Ridley327

Paprika: It seems a tad redundant to call this film the product of being inserted into the fever dream of someone else, considering that's almost precisely what happens over the course of the story, but it's hard to find a better way to describe the experience of watching this wonderful film. It could not suck any harder that this wound up being Satoshi Kon's final completed feature film, as he was clearly a one-of-a-kind genius that won't be soon replicated, but in its bittersweet way, this feels about as perfect a culmination for the themes and visual motifs that have dominated his works, and also of his prowess as a filmmaker to bring to life such complex ideas without having to stop the ebb and flow of such impossible and inexplicable objects without stumbling for even a second. This film represents the kind of fearless filmmaking that needs to be treasured and serve as a beacon of inspiration that even if it doesn't produce the next Satoshi Kon as a result, that it gets someone moving in the right direction to branch off into their own delectably distorted art.

Paprika: It seems a tad redundant to call this film the product of being inserted into the fever dream of someone else, considering that's almost precisely what happens over the course of the story, but it's hard to find a better way to describe the experience of watching this wonderful film. It could not suck any harder that this wound up being Satoshi Kon's final completed feature film, as he was clearly a one-of-a-kind genius that won't be soon replicated, but in its bittersweet way, this feels about as perfect a culmination for the themes and visual motifs that have dominated his works, and also of his prowess as a filmmaker to bring to life such complex ideas without having to stop the ebb and flow of such impossible and inexplicable objects without stumbling for even a second. This film represents the kind of fearless filmmaking that needs to be treasured and serve as a beacon of inspiration that even if it doesn't produce the next Satoshi Kon as a result, that it gets someone moving in the right direction to branch off into their own delectably distorted art.
He went out with a bang. Not many directors do.

I still periodically check for updates on Dreaming Machine and die a little every time.

edit -

There's a couple other Takeshi films I'm gonna try and watch before they're removed as well.

Do they have A Scene at the Sea?

I watched all of Kitano's films in chronological order once, and that was a lot of fun. His early films are rough around the edges, but they're all worthwhile, and it's great watching a very clear sense of style slowly develop and mature over a couple decades. A Scene at the Sea is the standout of his early run, however, and quite a bit different than anything else he made. I would highly recommend that. A brilliant soundtrack from Joe Hisaishi, as well (maybe my favorite after Hana-bi).

The Hermit

Just watched The Arrival.

Holy shit, I am still collecting pieces of my brain.
Loved the movie and I agree with the philosophy of it.

I need to watch Enemy, the trailer was intriguing enough and I just found out that it's from Villeneuve.

Btw, I didn't knew Arrival was from him, otherwise I would have watched at the theater.

DirtyLarry

Watched Bleed For This tonight.
Truly excellent movie.
I'm a lifelong fan of the art of pugilism but I do think it is one of those "sports" related movies where you do not have to be a fan to enjoy as the overall premise of the story itself is a universal one.

I also should add I was skeptical about this movie as from the trailers it made it seem like Miles may have been over the top with his depiction, but it turns out he did an excellent job. Definitely recommended, especially if you are a fan of boxing itself.

near

Gold Member
Just watched The Arrival.

Holy shit, I am still collecting pieces of my brain.
Loved the movie and I agree with the philosophy of it.

I need to watch Enemy, the trailer was intriguing enough and I just found out that it's from Villeneuve.

Btw, I didn't knew Arrival was from him, otherwise I would have watched at the theater.

Enemy is my favourite Villeneuve film, it's so fucking good.

TheFlow

Banned
Truly excellent movie.
I'm a lifelong fan of the art of pugilism but I do think it is one of those "sports" related movies where you do not have to be a fan to enjoy as the overall premise of the story itself is a universal one.

I also should add I was skeptical about this movie as from the trailers it made it seem like Miles may have been over the top with his depiction, but it turns out he did an excellent job. Definitely recommended, especially if you are a fan of boxing itself.
Glad to know. Will check out

UrbanRats

Do they have A Scene at the Sea?

I said it before, but A Scene at the sea is my favorite Kitano movie (followed closely by Sonatine) and one of my favorite films in general.
You say rough around the edges, but i think that's when Kitano works the best.
--
Win it all (Jon Swanberg, 2017) - Well listen, it was fun and short, and moved at a good pace, and everybody was pretty good and charming in it, but it really needed to close in a cleverer way than
"guy makes the play of his life and wins his way out of trouble"
Gambling tho is the most frustrating addiction to watch destroy someone's life, probably because it's the one i understand the least, since i'm in no way a gambling person myself, so it was interesting to hear the angle about "chasing being a loser", as that i find more relatable.

Zousi

The Red Shoes (1948) - Expected more from this based on it's status on the classics front, but i found the story and most of the characters lacking (Anton Walbrook's character was really the only one that i found interesting to watch). Visually the movie is a marvel for sure, but that can only get you so far.

Rewatched Toy Story last night: Watching a toy come to the identity-shattering realization that he is a toy, as the warm CRT glow of a commercial for one of the many versions of himself is reflected on his plastic helmet, is a heavy, and heady, moment, but one that's inserted at the perfect moment in Toy Story's overwhelmingly tight script. I must have seen this movie a
dozen times and I still marvel at the movie, it seems to only get funnier and more heartfelt as the years go by.

I really gotta rewatch the GOAT Toy Story 2, I haven't seen it in years.

Do they expect these films to be taken seriously still? I mean, these films have been winking to the camera for years now, but after watching this one, I'm convinced these films are nonsense practical parodies deals.

I mean nonsense parodies in the best possible way, cos The Fate Of The Furious is riddiculous entertainment. It's an adrenaline pumping good time.

Did this one have a proper plot? Something about family, Charlize Theron wanting to steal a nuclear submarine because reasons, family, Jason Staham going from being an enemy of the team to being a buddy ally, family. I don't know, and it doesn't matter really, cos you don't come for the plot in these things, you come for the action. Incidentally the plot makes zero sense and is full of holes.

The script is stupid and hackneyed as per usual, although its a little weaker than the last ones. Jason Staham unsurprising steals the show and gets all the best lines. Vin Diesel and the usual crew does... the fast & furious thing, which is to say, poor wooden acting and endless bleating about family, but it kinda works in context. Charlize Theron is a rubbish villain, incidentally.

However, the action is on point. The submarine action scene including infiltration of a naval base is banging, there's an action scene which isn't spoiled in the trailers but breaks the ceiling of what we expected from a fast & furious film before hand, its nuts and so cool, I loved it. Jason Staham gets the best action scene of the film though, although its actually got nothing to do with cars.

And I guess it looks nice, well filmed? Not all of it, but there's a scene in Cuba at the start specially.

So, rubbish plot, rubbish acting, rubbish context, but as always with these things, the action and 4th wall breaking nods and kinda absurd humour saves it. Recommended.

Truly excellent movie.

Watch Enemy, and you'll realise there was a nod to the iconic final shot in Arrival.

Sean C

Huh. Isnt it the otherway arround? The whole beginning is pretty good with the introduction of everybody. When they go on "mission" it becomes a complete shitshow.
Wrong, the movie is crap the whole way through.

It's a fun thriller and damn if Hepburn just isn't looking amazing in every frame (even if the romance turns creepy considering Grant's age, but this isn't the only 60s-era Grant movie with him robbing some cradles).
Grant aged a lot better than other male stars of the period, so watching them together in this film really made me wish he had taken the various roles Billy Wilder had offered him opposite Hepburn in the 1950s, which would have spared us seeing her opposite Humphrey Bogart and Gary Cooper.

Straight Outta Compton (2015): This is one of those movies that works best for people who have an affinity for the group and their whole music scene, which doesn't describe me; so, for instance, Ice Cube suddenly has a wife at one point. The depictions of the tensions between the police and the black community are the most interesting part of the film, and Eazy-E's decline is moving. But the movie's desire for social realism doesn't go particularly well alongside the whitewashing of NWA's misogyny (both in their music and in real-life) and homophobia

WarGames (1983): A pioneering techno-thriller (one that actually inspired the Reagan Administration to become concerned about cybersecurity) with a plot that has been done many, many times since, but it retains a certain charm. The discussions about game theory are interesting, and a pre-Ferris Bueller Matthew Broderick is a good lead. Plus, all that vintage computer technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom