• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
edit: letterboxd really needs groups so I just post a single link to the MovieGAF letterboxd group. There's a bunch of people in the OP list who might not even post anymore.

Delete them, add Borgnine.

HMV Canada is closing down so all their blurays are greatly discounted. Could not resist and picked up a handful of cheap stuff, and tried to beef up my James Bond collection, which used to be just the 2 Craig movies I enjoyed. Still haven't seen all the stuff I bought though.

Goldfinger
Such a Classic Bond film. A couple of elements, particularly Bond's rapey attitude and chauvinism was very cringy to watch, but they really got the formula right the first time.
Connery's "Pusshy" gets me every time lmao.

Live and Let Die
What a shame that such a terrific theme song was placed on such a meh entry to the series. Their attempt to mix Bond with Blaxploitation really aged the film, but also made it a bit more hilarious because it reminded me so much of Black Dynamite, from the cheap sets to the fancy outfits of the gangsters.
But Mr. Bond, I sell drugs to the community!

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Terrific film, and has aged really well. I almost feel like it's Bridge on the River Kwai on a boat. The interaction between the doctor and the captain is very much the heart of the movie, and explores a very interesting dynamic of imperial England in this microcosm of an outclassed battleship. Very intense at times, and really does a great job at making me feel like I was with the crew on the ship. From the camerawork that cleverly simulates the rocking of the boat, to the amazing sound design that makes you hear every splinter and splash of water. Seriously, the sound mix on the bluray is worth the price alone.

I was really impressed with it.

Mad Max: Fury Road
I wasn't particularly blown away when I saw this on BD last year, but seeing it a third time with the volume really loud really made it click for me. This is a film that just gets better and better with subsequent rewatches. Although it doesn't really change my feeling that it had peaked a little early. Now the climax isn't bad, but it feels just on-par with, or perhaps less impressive than, the earlier set-pieces. Which were amazing, but having the climax feel a little more distinctive visually would have been much appreciated.
Really climbed its way to one of my favourites of this decade.

Dude, what did you think of The Untamed? Hearing comparisons of Lynchian and Lovecraftian. I'm hyped for that.

I thought it was pretty great -- my first film from him. It's definitely both of those, but more melodramatic in some ways. It's a trip though, really enjoyed it.

Mad Max: Fury Road
I wasn't particularly blown away when I saw this on BD last year, but seeing it a third time with the volume really loud really made it click for me. This is a film that just gets better and better with subsequent rewatches. Although it doesn't really change my feeling that it had peaked a little early. Now the climax isn't bad, but it feels just on-par with, or perhaps less impressive than, the earlier set-pieces. Which were amazing, but having the climax feel a little more distinctive visually would have been much appreciated.
Really climbed its way to one of my favourites of this decade.
IIRC, in the BD behind the scenes, the George Miller said something along the lines of he didn't want to one up the previous chases with something more ridiculous, but wanted to end it on its logical conclusion.

HMV Canada is closing down

I thought they closed years ago.

Fury Road does peak early (the motorcycle chase is the best setpiece in the film, I think) but the final setpiece is still incredible. The cars with the giant poles or whatever that they were using to soar through the air was maybe my favorite individual design element out of all of the stunts/vehicles on display.

overcast

My friends and I had an argument about Her. I felt the ending was pretty clear, but I guess there must be some interesting opinions here.

Do any of you guys think they jumped off at the end? My friends did and the thought literally didn't cross my mind when I saw it.

ActWan

Logan - 6/10.

Good action, good acting (especially Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart), and blood! I love me some blood and true violence in a "superhero" flick, even more so when it's "gritty".
Too bad it had annoying characters and pretty shitty plot, especially the ending.
Overall it was a pretty average (but fun) film.

Window

My friends and I had an argument about Her. I felt the ending was pretty clear, but I guess there must be some interesting opinions here.

Do any of you guys think they jumped off at the end? My friends did and the thought literally didn't cross my mind when I saw it.

...That never crossed my either. I don't think that's what happened at all?

Are there any dementia films out there besides The Notebook and Still Alice?
Amour
amour480-blog480.jpg

Iris (2001)
Iris_poster.jpg

The Savages
thesavages.jpg

Wrinkles
Wrinkles-film-images-d9caf930-63a2-4509-b71d-8b98bfcd04c.jpg

DemWalls

Well... don't get me wrong. It's good. But after all the praise (especially in this very forum) I expected to be completely mindblown, and unfortunately that wasn't the case.

So, as I said, maybe it would've been better if I saw it without knowing.

Pachimari

Well... don't get me wrong. It's good. But after all the praise (especially in this very forum) I expected to be completely mindblown, and unfortunately that wasn't the case.

You are right that Fury Road isn't some amazing film. It's a decent movie, but far from the hype around here on GAF.

smisk

Finally watched Moonlight last night. It's one of those films that will never be on of my favorites, but I still really enjoyed and appreciated. The acting was absolutely amazing across the board and I'm really glad a movie like this was able to win Best Picture.
I also though the cinematography was really interesting.. I kept noticing there were moments where it felt like the top of the frame wasn't in focus, and there were some reflections on the lens etc. Not sure if it was a conscious choice, but it made me very aware of the camera. There tended to be a lot of camera movement as well.. In a couple instances it was distracting but overall it worked really well, and I loved some of the ways they had the camera move along with the characters on screen.
Even though it was depressing, I kind of want to watch this again already. A24 is really knocking it out of the park lately.

4.5/5

Logan (2017) - this is a very good movie. I'm very happy to write that sentence without needing to put the word superhero in it. And while so many on GAF will call out The Last of Us as a reference point, this is not a new story. The Old Protector/Young Important Figure tale is not new. As I watched it, I could rattle off at least two well known movies (Terminator 2 and The Professional) that have the same setup. And we can go waaaaay back as well, to Merlin raising/protecting Arthur until he's ready to pull the sword from the stone. No, the story beats here at not recent; they are well worn.

But the fact is, a fading Wolverine slides into the role so well. Oh, he bucks like a truck in a rut to try and escape it, but this is the Wolverine movie you had hoped it would be. Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine with all the gruff rough around the edges bits you want him to play, with the soft heart in the middle for Charles Xavier (played by Patrick Stewart with his usual stellar ability). The newcomer to the mix, young Dafne Keen, does most of her acting without speaking through the first 3/4 of the film.

Ah, and the CGI. What digital capabilities have done for film. The violence you always wanted to see coming out of those blades is on full display here, including a scene in a hotel that's just stunning in its visual display and its importance to the overall story.

What thrills me about Logan is that it tells an emotional story without it needing to bat you over the head with superhero nonsense. There are no capes. There are no costumes. There is emotional weight. There are consequences to decisions made (especially the poor ones, even when those decisions are questioned because of the risk involved). To throw a pun in here: this movie doesn't pull any punches.

4.5 / 5

You are right that Fury Road isn't some amazing film. It's a decent movie, but far from the hype around here on GAF.
The movie had the best vehicular action cinema could offer, beautifully shot and accompanied by an equally blood pumping score. But the movie is more than the action, it's like a piece of elegant machinery with no redundant parts. Yes, the plot was straight forward, but it showed so much and characterized so many with so very little dialogue, everything came together so well.

Sean C

20th Century Women (2016): Mike Mills' followup to his 2010 feature Beginners, which takes a similarly kaleidoscopic filmmaking style, and this time focuses on his mother (and other female influences in his early adulthood). Overall I'd rate this higher than Beginners because it's a more consistent film overall, though I don't think there's anything in it quite as moving as Christopher Plummer's storyline in the earlier film (that film's other plotline, focusing on Ewan Mcgregor's burgeoning romance, wasn't nearly as interesting, despite the actors' charm). At times I wasn't quite sure what to make of Elle Fanning's character, but given the resolution, perhaps that's the point of that particular story. This is the second time in the past week that I've seen Greta Gerwig in a more low-key supporting role (though this film is closer to her quirky indie roots).

thenexus6

Blood Father enjoyed this. Mel was great and looked wicked with the beard - man what I would give for him to star in a new Mad Max film all grizzled and old.

big ander

Your friends are cuckoo

Looking around the internet it looks like
they aren't alone in thinking they were about to jump...but most every reddit comment and quorawhatever I can find voicing that theory has responses along the lines of "...what? there's zero evidence for that, they were just talking on a roof...but ok." Which would be my answer as well

In the boxoffice thread, I previously mentioned Prevenge as sounding bad, but Mark Kermode was surprisingly into that one. Only released (for realsies) in the UK though. Seems like a solid dark comedy if Kermode's on board though. Has anyone seen this movie? Messofanego?

Also, on dementia, there is the episode of The West Wing called 'The Long Goodbye' that is pretty good.

Rewatched Moonlight.

Still a great film, but its emotional impact didn't hit as hard as the first time. Rewatches are hard. But still, excellent score, great pacing, wonderful characters, and an emotional gut punch to the FACE. I feel for Chiron ;;

Not my pick for Best Picture, but it was so good that I'm 1000% okay with it winning. Eighth favorite film of 2016 out of the 29 I've seen!!!

Also unrelated but interesting imo, I learned today that the bone to spaceship matchcut in 2001 is widely acclaimed. I saw the film years ago and saw it mentioned and then I looked it up and recalled that I HATED that cut. Yeah I get its significance, symbolism, narrative purpose, etc etc. But I thought that it was sooooo tacky, it looked really ugly and alienating in the worst ways. Like yeah I get it, but I think it's just the worst.

That's a terrible cut, but not even half as bad as the "match to desert sun" cut in Lawrence of Arabia.

Editors really stepped it up in the decades since, especially in the last 10 or so years. What were they thinking back then?

I haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia, but my Level Design professor says it's a film we should watch for class!

And I'm sure that there's lots of editing that I hate throughout all of cinema, just like there's lots of editing that I like! It's not relegated to one time period :)

In the boxoffice thread, I previously mentioned Prevenge as sounding bad, but Mark Kermode was surprisingly into that one. Only released (for realsies) in the UK though. Seems like a solid dark comedy if Kermode's on board though. Has anyone seen this movie? Messofanego?
Yes. I loved Prevenge, highly recommended especially if you like dark comedies.

Baby will tell you what to do.
I think she already does.
prevenge_by_digi_matrix-dalzdhu.jpg

Prevenge [trailer]
For anyone who's seen Alice Lowe in Sightseers, this might feel like a sequel of her serial killer character who decides to become a mom. There are touches of Zulawski's Possession where motherhood is seen to be an otherworldly horrific affair, but the film never stops being darkly funny and quotable (“Children these days are really spoiled, like ‘mummy, I want a PlayStation; mummy, I want you to kill that man’”). Despite the comedy, the film doesn't skirt on the gruesome, especially with knife slashes to the throat. When the film isn't violently gross, there are gross-out moments and one specifically that I'll just dub a "vomit kiss" which is sure to garner an audible reaction from the audience. However, there are sweet touches like counting the kills inside a baby greeting card. A mention should go out to the memorable synth score by Toydrum. While the film is clearly outlandish, there is an underlying honesty about what a single mother (Alice Lowe was actually pregnant during the filming) must struggle through not just psychologically but also socially and the condescension that can come from others which could drive a mother up the wall, although hopefully not to these extents.

UrbanRats

Also unrelated but interesting imo, I learned today that the bone to spaceship matchcut in 2001 is widely acclaimed. I saw the film years ago and saw it mentioned and then I looked it up and recalled that I HATED that cut. Yeah I get its significance, symbolism, narrative purpose, etc etc. But I thought that it was sooooo tacky, it looked really ugly and alienating in the worst ways. Like yeah I get it, but I think it's just the worst.

It was just to show how massive in size those monkeys were, back then when the Earth had more oxygen.

Jo85jYg.gif

20th Century Women (2016): Mike Mills' followup to his 2010 feature Beginners, which takes a similarly kaleidoscopic filmmaking style, and this time focuses on his mother (and other female influences in his early adulthood). Overall I'd rate this higher than Beginners because it's a more consistent film overall, though I don't think there's anything in it quite as moving as Christopher Plummer's storyline in the earlier film (that film's other plotline, focusing on Ewan Mcgregor's burgeoning romance, wasn't nearly as interesting, despite the actors' charm). At times I wasn't quite sure what to make of Elle Fanning's character, but given the resolution, perhaps that's the point of that particular story. This is the second time in the past week that I've seen Greta Gerwig in a more low-key supporting role (though this film is closer to her quirky indie roots).

I think the way the characters narrated their futures even up to death was a pretty good idea. Made the movie have a kind of predestined sense of sadness and regret to Annette Bening's character.

Escape from New York (1981) - technically this is a rewatch because I've seen parts of it or perhaps the entire movie like a decade or two ago on TV, but that basically means, with all the commercial breaks and memory gaps (it happens), that I never actually saw the movie.
So, as it turns out, that ****ing fancy clown's been holding out on me. A minute into this and I already got Tom Atkins AND Donald Pleasance on the screen, along with some prime Kurt Russel and Lee van Cleef. Aaaw yeah, daddy.
Other than that you know the drill of oldschool Carpenter: lovely lower budget composition of shots that make sense, form an altogether decent movie that is neither offensive nor intelligible, it's simply a fine movie. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

But is it Carpenter's third best after The Thing and Halloween? Over to you, Clown.

I'm not Fancy Clown, but I'd put Big Trouble, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth Of Madness over EFNY

And I love EFNY so that tells you how great Carpenter is.

Blood Father enjoyed this. Mel was great and looked wicked with the beard - man what I would give for him to star in a new Mad Max film all grizzled and old.

I tried to watch this but found the dialogue ridiculous. Like cheesy or hokey. It could've been my mood at the time but it's the only movie I've gave up on in years.

I'm not Fancy Clown, but I'd put Big Trouble, Prince of Darkness, and In The Mouth Of Madness over EFNY

And I love EFNY so that tells you how great Carpenter is.

same. I don't remember too much of Starman though so I wanna rewatch that one soon. seems like out of all the carpenter movies that one and Mouth of madness went the most unmentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom