• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Spent all day at the movies today. First i saw Get Out, which ironically despite avoiding most material on it, i pretty much poredicted like 80% of what was goinng to happen. There were still some surprises though. Was still a really unsettling and disturbing movie, while also being a little funny and also scary. They did a great job, especially for the guy's first movie.

Then i got lunch and then saw Logan, which i think i liked even more. Glad i saw that movie last cause it was more emotional than what i was expecting. Excellent all around.

Then i became depressed i spent another day at the movies alone and will probably do so forever.

I always forget Mouth is also a Carpenter movie. And I love that movie. :(
Okay, so FOURTH then...! (jest)

(I haven't seen Big Trouble in two decades, so I expect change in rank upon rewatch. Ditto for Starman)

Prince of Darkness is kind of shitty though. That one really doesn't do anything for me.

Then i became depressed i spent another day at the movies alone and will probably do so forever.

Have you tried using Meetup for movies? Many people like movies, plenty of choice there.

same. I don't remember too much of Starman though so I wanna rewatch that one soon. seems like out of all the carpenter movies that one and Mouth of madness went the most unmentioned.

Starman has an amazing ending, but it's middling Carpenter. I still enjoy it though. I'd put it after Assault on Precinct 13 and They Live, which both come after my earlier post, which come after The Thing and Halloween.

This is one convoluted ass way to do a Carpenter ranking.

T Dollarz

Spent all day at the movies today. First i saw Get Out, which ironically despite avoiding most material on it, i pretty much poredicted like 80% of what was goinng to happen. There were still some surprises though. Was still a really unsettling and disturbing movie, while also being a little funny and also scary. They did a great job, especially for the guy's first movie.

Then i got lunch and then saw Logan, which i think i liked even more. Glad i saw that movie last cause it was more emotional than what i was expecting. Excellent all around.

Fuck it man, that's a day well spent in my book. Shake it up with hitting a coffee shop and/or bookstore too. Maybe hit the gym. It's all chill vibes breh.

Here's my top 10 Carpenter (which more or less covers all his good stuff). Basically only the top 3 is locked down though because I'm oh so fickle and I love em all for different reasons. I will say that's EFNY despite its many, many awesome facets, has a comparively weak third act, which is usually a strength of Carpenter movies.

1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Big Trouble
4. In the Mouth of Madness
5. Escape from New York
6. Assault on Precinct 13
7. Prince of Darkness
8. The Fog
9. Starman
10. They Live

Prince of Darkness is kind of shitty though. That one really doesn't do anything for me.

I've got a message for you...and you're not going to like it. Pray for death!

Fuck. I already regret putting Prince of Darkness down at 7. It might have his best soundtrack too.

Logan
hwFWmgY.gif

"Nature made me a freak. Man made me a weapon. And God made it last too long."

Set in a bleak future where mutants are pretty much wiped out. Logan(Hugh Jackman), old and a shell of his former self, is taking care of Charles(Patrick Stewart) as his mind is deteriorating from old age while they both hide from the world. All that changes though when they come across a young female mutant, Laura(Dafne Keen), who's being perused by a special teams unit.

This was an incredible film. It's tough to say if it's the best X-Men movie or not because this feels so detached from X-Men that it's almost unfair to compare it to X-Men, It's more akin to a western picture. It's a very gritty and visceral movie that pretty much has the feeling of despair and hopelessness permeate every frame of the film and thus you're left with a picture that's very atmospheric and heavy. It packs a ton of impact, particularly with the scenes surrounding Logan and Charles as the film makes great use of the character's relationship in both tragic and funny ways.

It's the kind of film that's only possible to make because we spent so much time with these characters that doing a film with both of them pushed to their limits, being old and broken, is very interesting and humanizing as they are pretty much at their most vulnerable state in the film. It feels EARNED. The writing is great and the performances are pretty much top notch, especially from the three leads. I'm particularly impressed with the young girl, Dafne Keen, she's fucking awesome! It's very well directed and has some gorgeous cinematography. Action is also fantastic, seeing Wolverine fuck shit up here has way more impact because of how broken he is as a character. I would have to say that I was mostly surprised by how well done the little humor that was sprinkled here and there throughout the film, which was a welcome change. I didn't quite like the 3rd act all that much as well as *MAJOR SPOILERS*
the stupid ass Wolverine clone
but other then that, I loved the film and how it wrapped up.

---

Arrival
mndyjuk.gif

"Language is the foundation of civilization. It is the glue that holds a people together. It is the first weapon drawn in a conflict."

12 mysterious spaceships land all over the world as humanity scrambles to make sense of it all. linguistics professor Louise Banks(Amy Adams) is paired with theoretical physicist Ian Donnelly(Jeremy Renner) as they both try to interpret the Alien's language.

Why the fuck did I decide to watch this film way late at night? It's VERY rare for me that as soon as a movie finishes I feel like watching it again. Let alone rewind the last 5 or so minutes. As the movie was wrapping up I didn't quite grasp what was actually happening but then thinking about it more and rewatching it a few more times, it hit me like a freight train. This is an extremely beautiful and smart film in more ways than one. Not only because of how GOOD it looks or how AMAZING the score is but It's because of how masterfully it handles its themes about tolerance, unity and understanding between all the tension the film throws at you as the world is slowly going into chaos from what's happening. It never hits you on the head with it but it is subtly done and enhanced only by how the film wraps up by the end. It puts pretty much everything in perspective, like having an epiphany. I do feel that the way they tried to understand the language at times felt like "movie magic" even though it was quite fascinating and interesting.

Amy Adams pretty much owns and commands this entire film, she's fanfuckingtastic. I'm so happy for the slew of fantastic sci-fi films that we've been getting lately. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch the last act of the film again and probably cry myself to sleep.

Fuck. I already regret putting Prince of Darkness down at 7. It might have his best soundtrack too.

I love Prince of Darkness so much. The soundtrack, the cast, the questions it asks, the baffling religiouscience, the roach man, the dream cuts, the ENDING JESUS CHRIST

What a movie.

big ander

Didn't know this was a criterion movie
An amazing one
same. I don't remember too much of Starman though so I wanna rewatch that one soon. seems like out of all the carpenter movies that one and Mouth of madness went the most unmentioned.
Starman is amazing. I see it and Mouth of Madness as sort of dark horse top 5 carpenter picks often but Starman actually deserves that reputation. Bridges is just so weird and awesome and Karen Allen is Karen Allen.
Here's my top 10 Carpenter (which more or less covers all his good stuff). Basically only the top 3 is locked down though because I'm oh so fickle and I love em all for different reasons. I will say that's EFNY despite its many, many awesome facets, has a comparively weak third act, which is usually a strength of Carpenter movies.

1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Big Trouble
5. Escape from New York
7. Prince of Darkness
8. The Fog
9. Starman
10. They Live

Totally agree with this top 3

Blader

The Fog and Christine are on my tentative list for the next October horror marathon. Otherwise:

1. Assault on Precinct 13
2. The Thing
3. Escape from New York
4. They Live
5. Halloween
II

kevin1025

Banned

1. The Thing
2. Halloween
3. Big Trouble
5. Escape from New York
7. Prince of Darkness
8. The Fog
9. Starman
10. They Live

I'm behind on my Carpenter, but as big ander said, that top 3 looks a-okay with me!

Toothless

Went to the cinema last night:

Logan is an incredible conclusion to two eras in superhero filmmaking that have been defined partially by one man: Hugh Jackman. Returning to his iconic role for a final time, this is his best outing yet, showcasing the hurt and weariness of the character in a beautifully tragic way. Logan is possibly one of the bleakest blockbusters ever made, interweaving the franchise's history in a subtle way that makes every scene hit harder the closer you are to Wolverine's character and the X-Men world.

Mangold's direction is stronger than before, with the R-rating allowing him to truly submerge himself into the grime this story deserves. The action is consistently exciting while always gut-wrenching. Although he never fully steals the show from Jackman, Stewart also delivers his best performance yet as Xavier, bringing an even more tragic element to the proceedings, but also a load of heart. The rest of the cast serves their purpose well, never overpowering these other two performers.

It's not a perfect film. There are some story structure issues, and a few characters fall out of focus as the story goes in a very disappointing way. However, this is all easily forgiven when you realize that this film exists. A film where two of the most iconic superheroes of the early 2000s are allowed to grow old and be weak. A film where the hope and idealism of the earlier films are thrown out the window. The fact that Logan was made in a clearly unrestrained manner is a miracle in terms of blockbuster filmmaking. Logan is a remarkable finale to a legendary portrayal of one of the most famous Marvel superheroes, bringing thematic depth and an intense character study to an extremely well-done comic book movie.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Rewatched Miami Vice after the discussion earlier in the thread. I mean it's dope as shit except for the awful AWFUL dialogue and the awful AWFUL delivery of it. Everything else is top notch though. How does he afford a Ferrari on a policeman's salary.

kevin1025

Banned
Went to the cinema last night:

I feel the same. The weariness and the weakness this film portrayed is incredibly important to acknowledge for superhero films from here on out. Sure, incredible powers are cool, but the relative barriers, or weaknesses, of those powers are just as important. To have a powerful, but super vulnerable, character that is also trying but frustratingly finding it difficult to care, is such an important tone for Logan to take. And I hope more big budget, or comic book films, take notice. The film spent a ton of time on character rather than action, and paid off big time in terms of satisfaction. I hope more pay attention, box office or not, on what this movie managed to accomplish on a 16 year long film legacy.

Logan

damn, while I don't think it's quite as strong as TDK this is the first superhero movie since to actually carry that torch in spirit. regarding its approach to the genre. it very much feels like a road movie mixed with a neo western throughout much of it's runtime. the violence and action fucking rocks, it's a shame that the last wolverine movie is also the first to actually show you how brutal the violence involving a guy with sharp knife hands would be. The x23 girl is so much quicker and exciting to watch in action than I expected, and I was fucking geeking out during the moments when Wolverine let loose.

I think the strongest thing about this, aside from the action sequences, was the emotional aspect of the movie. I think a fan of the franchise would feel more attached and sentimental about these characters than others, but regardless of that it does a great job of selling the history and their place in the movie. the grandfather/son/grandaughter vibe you get from the 3 main characters is great to watch, I could have done with a lot more of those scenes. and the way the movie weaves the history of the xmen franchise into being legend is very cool. something other comic movies (in freaking cinematic universes nonetheless) really fail to achieve. the ending feels like a good place to just stop the entire franchise. it's an epilogue that I don't want expanded on. bless up to Jackman, he's basically cemented himself as Wolverine so it was nice to see his end be like this.

best comic book movie since The Dark Knight, might even have it over X2 as well.

Rewatched Miami Vice after the discussion earlier in the thread. I mean it's dope as shit except for the awful AWFUL dialogue and the awful AWFUL delivery of it. Everything else is top notch though. How does he afford a Ferrari on a policeman's salary.

- First of all, the dialogue is dope. Post-post-ironic quotables. Check yourself.
- B. The delivery is dope. Post-naturalism acting. Check yourself again.
- Lastly, in the show's first 2 seasons, aka the only ones that matter, his Ferrari Daytona was a front provided by the police for Crockett's "Sonny Burnett" persona. Guessing it's the same thing here.

Check yourself before you Net_Wreck yourself.

Not sure if this works for or against me. Processing.

What's going on?
As in?
As in, there's undercover and there is "Which way is up"?

rejoice.png

"You seem okay. But him, I don't like how he looks."
"Do you wanna fuck my partner or do you wanna do business with us? 'Cause I don't give a shit how you think he looks. "

YiFvaxt.gif

*Sigh*, all this Logan praise. Youse guys really gonna make me go pay for another X-Men movie ughhh ok fine.

first superhero movie in so many years where there's actual emotional weight to these characters. going from doctor strange a week ago to this was some night and day shit.

Logan
hwFWmgY.gif

Set in a bleak future where mutants are pretty much wiped out. Logan(Hugh Jackman), old and a shell of his former self, is taking care of Charles(Patrick Stewart) as his mind is deteriorating from old age while they both hide from the world. All that changes though when they come across a young female mutant, Laura(Dafne Keen), who's being perused by a special teams unit.

This was an incredible film. It's tough to say if it's the best X-Men movie or not because this feels so detached from X-Men that it's almost unfair to compare it to X-Men, It's more akin to a western picture. It's a very gritty and visceral movie that pretty much has the feeling of despair and hopelessness permeate every frame of the film and thus you're left with a picture that's very atmospheric and heavy. It packs a ton of impact, particularly with the scenes surrounding Logan and Charles as the film makes great use of the character's relationship in both tragic and funny ways.

It's the kind of film that's only possible to make because we spent so much time with these characters that doing a film with both of them pushed to their limits, being old and broken, is very interesting and humanizing as they are pretty much at their most vulnerable state in the film. It feels EARNED. The writing is great and the performances are pretty much top notch, especially from the three leads. I'm particularly impressed with the young girl, Dafne Keen, she's fucking awesome! It's very well directed and has some gorgeous cinematography. Action is also fantastic, seeing Wolverine fuck shit up here has way more impact because of how broken he is as a character. I would have to say that I was mostly surprised by how well done the little humor that was sprinkled here and there throughout the film, which was a welcome change. I didn't quite like the 3rd act all that much as well as *MAJOR SPOILERS*

---

Arrival
mndyjuk.gif

"Language is the foundation of civilization. It is the glue that holds a people together. It is the first weapon drawn in a conflict."

12 mysterious spaceships land all over the world as humanity scrambles to make sense of it all. linguistics professor Louise Banks(Amy Adams) is paired with theoretical physicist Ian Donnelly(Jeremy Renner) as they both try to interpret the Alien's language.

Why the fuck did I decide to watch this film way late at night? It's VERY rare for me that as soon as a movie finishes I feel like watching it again. Let alone rewind the last 5 or so minutes. As the movie was wrapping up I didn't quite grasp what was actually happening but then thinking about it more and rewatching it a few more times, it hit me like a freight train. This is an extremely beautiful and smart film in more ways than one. Not only because of how GOOD it looks or how AMAZING the score is but It's because of how masterfully it handles its themes about tolerance, unity and understanding between all the tension the film throws at you as the world is slowly going into chaos from what's happening. It never hits you on the head with it but it is subtly done and enhanced only by how the film wraps up by the end. It puts pretty much everything in perspective, like having an epiphany. I do feel that the way they tried to understand the language at times felt like "movie magic" even though it was quite fascinating and interesting.

Amy Adams pretty much owns and commands this entire film, she's fanfuckingtastic. I'm so happy for the slew of fantastic sci-fi films that we've been getting lately. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch the last act of the film again and probably cry myself to sleep.

Great reviews. Is Arrival already out on blu ray? Gonna have to grab the NeoGAF 2016 MOTY.

Warcraft

I don't know much at all about the games, but I thought that was pretty damn good. Visually, it's stunning. I love me some good CG. The music is pretty great too. And even as a half-orc or whatever she is, Paula Patton is still insanely beautiful.

Anyway, I don't know how likely it is given how this film was received, but I'd love to see a sequel.

Also, it was nice to see Jesse and Tulip together. :p

⭐⭐⭐⭐

thenexus6

Train to Busan finally, wow been waiting ages.

It was pretty great, very enjoyable. Had a few silly moments but overall was happy with it. Dude in the blue suit was the best.

UrbanRats

My Carpenter, even though i miss many of his:

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble
3. In the mouth of madness
4. They Live
5. Escape from NY
6. Prince of Darkness
7. Assault of precinct 13
8. Halloween
9. Escape from LA
Ghosts of Mars

I only watched Halloween last year, but i can't say i liked it all that much.

lordxar

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble
4. They Live
5. Escape from NY
6. Prince of Darkness
8. Halloween
9. Escape from LA
Ghosts of Mars

We might be Net_Wrecking ourselves...but...
Heavy metal zombies ftw!

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble
4. They Live
5. Escape from NY
6. Prince of Darkness
8. Halloween
9. Escape from LA
Ghosts of Mars

No lie, Vampires would be in my top 5.

images

your viewpoint is only possible if you skipped Winter Soldier and Civil War.

I didn't come away with a big emotional takeway from those movies. They were action films, first and foremost. Maybe if they were squarely focused on Steve Rogers and Agent Carter's relationship, which was pretty good from what was there but I remember more of the setpieces.

Civil War is my favorite MCU movie, and I think it hit some decent emotional beats in the third act because it's the first of those movies to even attempt a little bit of subtlety and gray morality. It certainly wasn't heavy enough to make me Net_Wreck myself or anything though.

Hopefully Logan will deliver the goods though. Disco liked it so I'm thinking it will.

TheFlow

Banned
Black Panther CW delivered on the emotional impact. that character growth, that ether.

oh man. Coogler BP going to deliver next year <3.

Civil War is my favorite MCU movie, and I think it hit some decent emotional beats in the third act because it's the first of those movies to even attempt a little bit of subtlety and gray morality. It certainly wasn't heavy enough to make me Net_Wreck myself or anything though.

Hopefully Logan will deliver the goods though. Disco liked it so I'm thinking it will.

it has a 4.1 on letterboxed. so I think you will.

Window

Silence: I liked this. Interesting exploration of faith, iconography, language and culture but
I don't know what to make of the fact that the two padres seemingly never reconciled their Christian faith with the Buddhist faith over the course of decades after apostatizing. I can understand their disposition towards the Christian faith but the ending (and "Our Lord") in the context of lack of other scenes implies that they merely lived out the remainder of their lives as almost a facade with their faith locked away in silence deep within themselves (somewhat reminiscent of Age of Innocence here). Was there any real reciprocal understanding in their lives afterwards which the interpreter claims (whether truthfully or otherwise) the previous padres never were interested in? The film presents the faith in God and the idea of God itself as personal, internal, beyond the descriptions provided by religion but I'm not sure if the main character ultimately believes this or represents this himself.
. What was up with the Sun/Son mix up though? That made no sense to me (I get the idea of what was being said - that meaning drifts across different languages, culture and even from person to person, there is no universal sense of meaning or truth as Rodrigues preaches earlier in the film). Also, Ogata deflating like a balloon is probably one of the most surprising scenes in a film this (last?) year.

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

Yeah.. overly long; not really that magical and the horrid casting of
Johnny Depp
in a surprise reveal was just yuck. Made the movie seem like a joke. How much $$$$ they waste casting him?

Quite boring and charmless. Lead actor who played Newt - quite surprised he acted sorta like he did in Les Miserables. Curious now to see how he performed as Stephen Hawkings. Side cast the lead female was boring - her sister the mind reader fared better. Chunky Nonmag was serviceable. Was quite excited to watch this but it was pretty poor. Oh, the central villian played by Colin Farrell... was alright I guess. CGI angry spirit thingo = ....

4/10

Logan
hwFWmgY.gif

---

Arrival
mndyjuk.gif

Let's be best friends. Fantastic reviews!!!

Sean C

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962): I was distracted for much of the movie wondering why Blanche would ever have allowed herself to be essentially trapped on one of the upper floors of her own house. That side, a very enjoyable film, with
a solid twist ending that I never actually considered since I assumed the reason for obliqueness in the opening sequence was that they had decided to use real footage of Davis and Crawford for their old movies
. There's a good means of using cinematic limitations to conceal. Also, the maid in this
has one of the worst episodes of horror movie stupidity I've seen in some time

I had been so hyped for Civil War, and while it tried to provide an emotional impact that other superhero movies tend to lack, it just couldn't manage it. There's no gut punch. The entire conflict is made out of easily shredded paper (pun intended).

Had War Machine died, well then, there would have been weight and consequence. But it was like a couple of friends wrestling after drinking too much. They're gonna wake up the next morning and be friends again.

Logan has weight. There are consequences. Dire ones. It is emotional.

Civil War doesn't even come close.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: Logan is a very good movie. It doesn't need the term "superhero" attached to it.

Civil War is a good superhero movie. Not a great one. It's okay as an action movie.

lordxar

Phantasm 2 This feels a lot like a Supernatural episode...or other way around I'd guess. Couple dudes in a hot rod chasing some supernatural stuff. This is more straight up monster movie though where the ending to the first left some cool possibilities.

Phantasm 3 This has a lot lighter tone than the others in this series which I actually really dug. I'm still not getting enough other world stuff but at least these are entertaining. The little kid was great and I could watch a whole movie about him in his funhouse alone.

Phantasm 4 This was a pretty cool entry. It's got a ton of flashbacks but overall I liked how that was used to present this story. Again...not enough other world stuff to explain Tall Man and everything he's doing but it did have more which was good to see.

Overall I really like this series and quite honestly I may just buy them and start watching them around Halloween time. I will say that the Tall Man is the most lame villain/monster in history. Soooo many shots of him walking menacingly in platform shoes...lol. I dig it so this isn't a knock its just comical to me. You could probably chop all these down into one three hour movie and be done but that said I think they do have a very nice charm to them as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom