• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvsC3: Mike Haggar & (Jean Grey) Phoenix confirmed.

lupinko

_dementia said:
Really? That's actually quite reassuring. My local pals are on PS3 which is why I typically go PS3 or double dip.

Yeah, every build that the public has played, Evo (which I played in person), SCR, fight clubs, this past tournament, and @ various shows have been the PS3 version. I know the 360 version is only usually playable at trade shows like e3 (which I confirmed with a friend of mine in the industry since he tried them both at last e3), but yeah every build to the public has only been the PS3 version afaik.

In fact all the footage has been the PS3 versions as well, don't believe me? You can easily tell the PS3 button prompts on the character tagging in the lifebars.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
lupinko said:
In fact all the footage has been the PS3 versions as well, don't believe me? You can easily tell the PS3 button prompts on the character tagging in the lifebars.
CES stuff was on 360, though I don't really see why this matters.

Anyway, I think you should post more leak stuff on SRK, no matter how inconsequential, just to piss off Nickguy. :p

Dali said:
Is that why SSFIV is neigh unplayable to me? Is this the explanation for it always feeling sluggish and unresponsive compared to SF3?
nah, it's unnoticable, the real reason ssfiv feels sluggish it's because it is, slow walking speed, bigger arenas etc.. all make for a slower game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sixfortyfive said:
CES stuff was on 360, though I don't really see why this matters.

Anyway, I think you should post more leak stuff on SRK, no matter how inconsequential, just to piss off Nickguy. :p

I like this idea.

Platy

s-kill said:
some dude on capcom-unity said:
I just wonder if practicing my MVC2 Jill at all is worth anything at this point.

Will this Jill be summoning crows and Los Plagos, or are we looking at more of an acrobatic gun user capcom?

I dont want vids or anything like that, just a simple descriptor of playstyle please.

MVC3 Jill is a completely new character (and definitely more along your "acrobatic gun user" track). She's more different and completely re-imagined than any other returning cast-member. She just might be the fastest character in the game, too...

best,

Seth

=(

source

MarshMellow96 said:
What he really means is she's fastest character not included in the retail version of the game. :lol
fixed that for you.
I hope the DLC shows up in a GOTY/Greatest Hits edition in the future just for Tournment's sake.

Dali

Prime crotch said:
nah, it's unnoticable, the real reason ssfiv feels sluggish it's because it is, slow walking speed, bigger arenas etc.. all make for a slower game
I don't think that's what my problem is. It's just not as responsive. I'll play hours of SF3, then jump to SSFIV and it feels like it takes forever for my button presses to register. When I announced I was officially hyped for KoF 13 in the hype thread one of the reasons other than it being a really fun and beautiful game was how responsive and quick it was. I attributed it to polygonal vs sprite based, but in the little bit of time I put into TvC I don't recall ever being annoyed by what felt like unresponsive controls. Maybe my problem is just with the game itself.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dali said:
I don't think that's what my problem is. It's just not as responsive. I'll play hours of SF3, then jump to SSFIV and it feels like it takes forever for my button presses to register. When I announced I was officially hyped for KoF 13 in the hype thread one of the reasons other than it being a really fun and beautiful game was how responsive and quick it was. I attributed it to polygonal vs sprite based, but in the little bit of time I put into TvC I don't recall ever being annoyed by what felt like unresponsive controls. Maybe my problem is just with the game itself.

Personally, I suspect that it's due to the animation style in SFIV and not the engine itself or the literal response time of the controls. (Speaking of 360 version here.) SFIV's animations have a lot of wind-up on them in order to try and replicate the overly fluid, exaggerated SF3 style of animation.

TVC however has much more "direct" animations without as much flourish (which doesn't mean its animation is bad) and the moment you press a button, your character generally just cuts right to the active hit box frame of their attack with very little lead-in animation frames.

MVC3 looks the same from watching movies of it; TVC-style animation all the way, so I figure if you feel SFIV is sluggish you shouldn't have a problem with MVC3.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think I'm just missing "Assist" style characters in general in this game, since you guys bring up Jill. What's the closest we have? Tron with the Servbots?

No Captain Commando "Hoo-VA! Genity! Sho!", no Zombies from Jill, and pretty much no one like Doronjo from Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (Tonzura! Boyacky!). No Gigantic Mecha assistance from anyone like Jin (BLOOOODIAAAA!)...

This extends to the win poses too, though. No more clothes transformations / creepy bondage w/ Lilith victory pose for Morrigan, No "Room of Doom!" clones of Doctor Doom standing around you, no random Star Gladiator characters joining Hayato, no "cast reunion!" win poses for the Capitan, no catgirl partners joining Felicia, no Kei running in to dance alongside Sakura... such victory poses used to be such a big thing in old Capcom VS games, that it's just a shame to see it totally gone.

Especially for Morrigan, who really showed a lot of her personality with her joy of "cosplaying" various characters and outfits.

morrigan-cute-pock.gif

Speaking of Morrigan, did they solve the RAM issue with her level 3 so we see Lilith or is it just a character model clone of Morrigan?

I'm kind of salty because they worked it out in TvC so Lilith got her cameo (though, the framerate was halved for the duration of the move's hit animation).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Speaking of Morrigan, did they solve the RAM issue with her level 3 so we see Lilith or is it just a character model clone of Morrigan?

I'm kind of salty because they worked it out in TvC so Lilith got her cameo (though, the framerate was halved for the duration of the move's hit animation).

Well, Felicia's "Please Help Me!" got a touchup since it was originally seen in the old builds (more cinematic, additional ending hit), and that's got much more than a single new character model, compared to Morrigan... so maybe they've updated hers since we first saw it, too?

felicia_please_help_mewf37.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
Dali said:

Not only is the PS3 version very noticeably slower - as per my understanding, TE stick PCBs also institute some lag.

360 SSF4 feels like Marvel for the first hour before getting used to the difference. If you play SSF4 seriously you'll definitely notice the difference.

Skilletor

Kimosabae said:
Not only is the PS3 version very noticeably slower - as per my understanding, TE stick PCBs also institute some lag.

360 SSF4 feels like Marvel for the first hour before getting used to the difference. If you play SSF4 seriously you'll definitely notice the difference.

I constantly switch back and forth between both consoles for SSF4, playing on my TEs, which I have for both consoles, and this claim is absolute hyperbole.

SF4 is a much slower game than SF3, which itself was slower than most of its predecessors.

Sixfortyfive

Kimosabae said:

If this was even remotely true the PS3 version wouldn't be used at most major tournaments.

vulva

Kimosabae said:

I play on both regularily, mostly the PS3 though. Local meet ups are always done on 360. I think you're confusing game speed with the added frame of lag. The game itself moves at the same speed, you're just confusing that with input lag.

Please don't talk about things you don't understand.

dralla

Read this on GameSpot:

"His various counterattack moves, including a counter super, allow him to punish any type of assault, such as projectiles"

Are they saying his counter ultra can be used on projectiles or that he has other means of countering projectiles?

a couple other things..I never played TvC, how are the buttons laid out? I know it's 3 attacks a launcher and 2 assists, but is it the same button layout as MvC2 on a stick?

lastly, I keep hearing about DLC characters already :\ do we know for sure which are on the disc at launch, I see Jill talk so I assume she's in? I'd like a 'classic jill' character but I doubt it'll happen :[

dralla said:
Read this on GameSpot:

"His various counterattack moves, including a counter super, allow him to punish any type of assault, such as projectiles"

Are they saying his counter ultra can be used on projectiles or that he has other means of countering projectiles?

a couple other things..I never played TvC, how are the buttons laid out? I know it's 3 attacks a launcher and 2 assists, but is it the same button layout as MvC2 on a stick?

lastly, I keep hearing about DLC characters already :\ do we know for sure which are on the disc at launch, I see Jill talk so I assume she's in? I'd like a 'classic jill' character but I doubt it'll happen :[
Are they talking about Wesker? They probably mean his Maximum Spider-style Hyper combo, that looks like it punishes all types of shit.

button layout is

L M H
E A1 A2

L = Light
M = Medium
H = Hard
E = Exchange (Launcher)
A2 = Assist 1
A2 = Assist 2

Unlike, MvC2 the game doesn't differentiate between punches and kicks; just attack strength. The move is contextual or changes depending on directional combinations.

Dali said:

SF4 is slow and clunky compared to 3rd Strike.

Chavelo

Kimosabae said:

Hmmm, that's.... odd... then why does the fighting game community go with Ps3 for tourney and xbox360 for online?

They prolly missed something.... I should link them your post so they can change their ways... :-3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
dralla said:
Read this on GameSpot:

Are they saying his counter ultra can be used on projectiles or that he has other means of countering projectiles?:[

They're talking about this (Writeup from SRK):

Counter: (qcb) A (High Counter that leads to an auto-launch) B (Low Counter that leads to a wallbounce GhostButterfly) C (PROJECTILE COUNTER that leads into wallbounce Ghost Butterfly)

Wesker has a unique counter to each button, plus his super counter. Apparently, they are denoted by different colors glows.

Kimosabae

Banned
Happy Phantom said:
I play on both regularily, mostly the PS3 though. Local meet ups are always done on 360. I think you're confusing game speed with the added frame of lag. The game itself moves at the same speed, you're just confusing that with input lag.

Seriously?

If I have to make sure my inputs are 2 frames faster in an effort to correlate with actions on screen happening two frames faster than the same game on a different system - how is that version of the game not objectively 2 frames faster overall?

The fuck?

The animations may be the same speed, but they all execute 2 frames faster, making the gameplay that much faster overall.

If you just play the game casually, or are one of those players that only plays off "feeling" (read: someone like Valle), then there's a good chance you won't notice the difference.

If you're a frame-head, you will screw up block strings with Cody, you will get DPd by Adon during Oki and you will screw up the timings on Viper's various ambiguous cross-up setups until you adjust.

If you plink/double tap, 1/2 frame links aren't as noticeably hard to be consistent with as that's an element of the game that's had its precision requirements neutered through finger techniques.

Zabka

Chavelo said:
Hmmm, that's.... odd... then why does the fighting game community go with Ps3 for tourney and xbox360 for online?

They prolly missed something.... I should link them your post so they can change their ways... :-3
Stick availability was a big reason for choosing PS3, controller swapping is a pain on 360, and many pad players use the PS controller.

Plus 360s were not trusted to be reliable when SF4 hit.

Wasn't Sony a sponsor of Evo at one point too? I vaguely remember something about them providing PS3s.

zlatko

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Seriously?

Do you understand the difference? I don't think you do. If I have to make sure my inputs are 2 frames faster in an effort to correlate with actions on screen happening two frames faster than the same game on a different system - how is that version of the game not objectively 2 frames faster overall?

The fuck?

If you just play the game casually, or are one of those players that only plays off "feeling" (read: someone like Valle), then there's a good chance you won't notice the difference.

If you're a frame-head, you will screw up block strings with Cody, you will get DPd by Adon during Oki and you will screw up the timings on Viper's various ambiguous cross-up setups until you adjust.

If you plink/double tap, 1/2 frame links aren't as noticeably hard to be consistent with as that's an element of the game that's had its precision requirements neutered through finger techniques.

Slow-Clap.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kimosabae said:
Seriously?

If I have to make sure my inputs are 2 frames faster in an effort to correlate with actions on screen happening two frames faster than the same game on a different system - how is that version of the game not objectively 2 frames faster overall?

The fuck?

The animations may be the same speed, but they all execute 2 frames faster, making the gameplay that much faster overall.

Ether.

Kimosabae

Banned
Prime crotch said:
The input lag is nearly imperceptible, if it feels sluggish it's because the game is so, not because of the ps3 version.

It may be imperceptible to you but you're ignoring the facts. If you've trained your muscle memory in accordance with one version's operating speed, and that version's operating speed differs significantly enough from another version's, there will be necessary adjusting on your part.

I don't see why this is so hard for some to understand...

zlatko

Banned
Prime crotch said:
The input lag is nearly imperceptible, if it feels sluggish it's because the game is so, not because of the ps3 version.

For a casual fighting game player, sure.

You guys seriously don't get that some of these characters in SSF4 have 1 frame links. 1/60th of a second to get it right. If one console throws that off---note CONSOLE not the game, not online play, I mean if you play it offline, then you have a BIG problem if you are a pro who plays with frames built into his mentality. Like stated if you are a pro who just plays by feeling it out it might not effect you as much and if you are someone who learns a finger technique like double tapping it also should not effect you.

A perfect example of HOW important this is is if you are an Abel player. His forward medium kick into dash fierce punch into CoD is a 1 frame link. This is a BASIC thing you need to know with Abel in order to win. That kick leads into his combo/damage potential and allows him to play footsies. If you aren't landing it consistently you are at a severe disadvantage.

I think people are confusing this PS3 vs 360 talk as some kind of fanboy console war shit, but it's not that. It's been 100% proven, playing offline on PS3 vs 360, is in favor of the 360 due to the 2 frame issue on PS3.

vulva

Kimosabae said:
Seriously?

The fuck?

it's not 2 frames faster, it's 2 frames less of input lag.

The point is it isn't an issue, not one of the scale you're trying to make it sound like at least. This is similar to the lag fear on hdtvs, where theres even a srk thread on how the best solution is getting a 4k tv; some people were even affraid evo hdtvs had the slightest hint of lag.
A bigger issue is ssfiv itself being slow as shit.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell should we even care that SSIV has lag when comparing the systems?

WE'RE SUPPOSE TO BE TALKING ABOUT MVC3. IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE LAG IN MVC3, FINE, BUT THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT YET, SO THERE'S NO WAY TO TEST IT, SO THERE'S NO REASON TO EVEN HAVE THIS DEBATE RIGHT NOW.

I'm going to go lie down now...

Kimosabae

Banned
Happy Phantom said:
it's not 2 frames faster, it's 2 frames less of input lag.

Do those 2 frames less of input lag correlate to on-screen actions happening 2 frames sooner on 360?

Prime Crotch

I didn't think I was making it sound like a big deal, but...

It's kind of a big deal. Not one that can't be worked around if you're conscious of it (as a player), but it can be a pain in the ass if you don't have the means (i.e. regular access to both versions). The issue - which is more than worth paying attention to - is more in regards to the principle of standardization than anything else, because that effects tournament players/organizers for myriad reasons.

I just want to see this problem obviated with Marvel 3.

zlatko

Banned
Prime crotch said:
The point is it isn't an issue, not one of the scale you're trying to make it sound like at least. This is similar to the lag fear on hdtvs, where theres even a srk thread on how the best solution is getting a 4k tv; some people were even affraid evo hdtvs had the slightest hint of lag.
A bigger issue is ssfiv itself being slow as shit.

tumblr_leftdzYz3Q1qf8yek.gif

I guess my post went ignored. You really don't think it makes a difference to an Abel player who plays non stop on 360, then has to play on a PS3 at a tournament?

Also, do you want to know why people were afraid of Evo TV's having lag? SO IT DOESN'T FUCK UP THEIR GAME! Jesus christ man!

SSF4's pacing is the game. Don't like the pacing of a game? Don't play it. The point people are trying to make is that there IS a difference between PS3 and 360 version of SSF4, and it DOES make a difference for someone who is say an Abel player or Crimson Viper player.

Edit: @ HyRyu

The reason this got brought up is people hope it doesn't happen in MvC3 like it did with SSF4. Reasonable request if you're someone who can only afford 1 console to play on, but might be involved in some sort of fighting scene.

Sixfortyfive

Prime crotch said:
It is a legitimate issue, and I don't like to settle for less if I don't have to.

It's also not particularly related to the topic, though.

vulva

Kimosabae said:
Do those 2 frames less of input lag correlate to on-screen actions happening 2 frames sooner on 360?
Of course, but your claim that ssf4 on ps3 is incredibly slow, and moving to 360 makes it "feel like marvel" is one of the stupidest claims I've ever heard. You still have to have the same spacing of time between when you have your inputs, it just aligns differently to what's going on on the screen. The game itself runs at the same speed, the only difference is the start up timing of the inputs for any combos.

I'm not here denying the importance of lag and I know fully well that going from one console to the other will mess up input timing. Your claim that the game is magically faster on the 360 is just stupid though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Happy Phantom said:
Of course, but your claim that ssf4 on ps3 is incredibly slow, and moving to 360 makes it "feel like marvel" is one of the stupidest claims I've ever heard. You still have to have the same spacing of time between when you have your inputs, it just aligns differently to what's going on on the screen. The game itself runs at the same speed, the only difference is the start up timing of the inputs for any combos.

I'm not here denying the importance of lag and I know fully well that going from one console to the other will mess up input timing. Your claim that the game is magically faster on the 360 is just stupid though.

You're an idiot.

You're taking what was so supposed to be clear hyperbole for the effect of poignancy and basing an entire response to me around this. All in an effort to hide the fact that your initial response to me was utter, non-consequential, garbage attempting to be dismissive - not to mention plain wrong - while you admit my points had merit all along.

I'm going to ignore you now.

Sixfortyfive

Kimosabae said:
You're taking what was so supposed to be clear hyperbole for the effect of poignancy and basing an entire response to me around this.
Uh, yes. Words have meaning. Use them properly and you won't be misunderstood.

vulva

Kimosabae said:
You're an idiot.

You're taking what was so supposed to be clear hyperbole for the effect of poignancy and basing an entire response to me around this. All in an effort to hide the fact that your initial response to me was utter, non-consequential, garbage attempting to be dismissive - not to mention plain wrong - while you admit my points had merit all along.

I'm going to ignore you now.
Your hyperbole was stupid to begin with.

I never disagreed that there was input lag. I said you're an idiot for making the input lag seem like it meant something entirely different.

To anyone not in the know, who read your post, it would appear that SSF4 on PS3 runs slowly and is overall a bad product. IIRC 360 Vanilla had 1 more frame of input lag than arcade. Does that mean that 360 version played like World Warrior compared to arcade?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
zlatko said:

I would like to have source to this gif (I saw other one and I don't mind to see more)

Back to topic; i'm not surprised that we got no update today, since people seem to think we will get update today.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
IntelliHeath said:
I would like to have source to this gif (I saw other one and I don't mind to see more)

Back to topic; i'm not surprised that we got no update today, since people seem to think we will get update today.

I thought we were getting some sort of update next Monday.

Top Bottom