• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

I really like Spike, despite Pinkie's obvious racism towards dragons and 'monsters.' (She even said that the Dragon's were 'scary' in the episode...no denying that!)

[rant ]
I still contend the Spike should NOT be a dragon like the ones we saw in the episode...rather, he should grow into a wingless and proud dragon. Like: Lao Shan Lung!

See? Slap a purple set of scales with green accents, let him absorb mountains over a thousand years...he'll be fine!

Ehh, sadly the fanon seems the like Spike as a winged dragon. /rant

(I would like to see a Kirin in the MLP world.)

I'm totally with you on Spike Shan Lung, that would be awesome. And I'd say a kirin would be redundant, but then I think of those windago(lol spelling) things, maybe something like that wouldn't be so far fetched...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That was an awesome episode. Spike is slowly becoming one of my favourite characters.

Also nice to see the Spike X Rarity undertones played even more. The little guy deserves some love.

Orcastar

Good episode. Not top-tier, but still enjoyable. The douchy dragons were pretty much what I imagined them to be like. Would have been nice to actually learn something about Spike's origins too, but oh well.

Also, where are all the female dragons? They totally wasted to opportunity of having a badass girl dragon among the teenagers that falls for Spike/Spike falls for, resulting in Rarity becoming jealous and leading into all sorts of hijinks.

Well here's my fan fic:

Celestia found/saved the egg during the war of dragons vs ??? (probably not ponies/allicorns since when fighting an enemy you learn a lot about them, right?).

Ponies have no clue how dragons work. So Celestia used the egg as a magic test. No one in over the thousand years of testing have ever hatched the egg. The test judged how you tried to do it and shows how much magic you have (as you tried your hardest to open it).

But then Twilight succeeded. And so Celestia gave the hatchling to Twilight.

Ponies have no clue how dragons work. So Celestia used the egg as a magic test. No one in over the thousand years of testing have ever hatched the egg. The test judged how you tried to do it and shows how much magic you have (as you tried your hardest to open it).
A Ponyashi Maru?

Negator

If phoenix are immortal and can hatch six offspring, doesn't that mean that there would be massive overpopulation of phoenix?

McNum

I can't help but think that eating a phoenix is an inherently bad idea. Then again, dragons can apparently gargle lava, so a little phoenix fire from its constant dying and rebirth inside your stomach is probably within tolerable limits for a dragon.

Do phoenixes get reborn if they are killed, by the way? Or is it only when they die from age?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I can't help but think that eating a phoenix is an inherently bad idea. Then again, dragons can apparently gargle lava, so a little phoenix fire from its constant dying and rebirth inside your stomach is probably within tolerable limits for a dragon.

Do phoenixes get reborn if they are killed, by the way? Or is it only when they die from age?
age only.

McNum

Aw, and here I was hoping I could claim that Phoenixes die if they are killed.
...you know that actually works here. To make a phoenix die, you have to kill it. If it just dies naturally, it'll be reborn.

So why do phoenixes have that many young? Are there non-dragon predators that are stupid enough to try to eat young phoenixes? Or do the parents abandon them early? Something has to be culling the population, otherwise we'd see thousands of them.

Theonik

...you know that actually works here. To make a phoenix die, you have to kill it. If it just dies naturally, it'll be reborn.

So why do phoenixes have that many young? Are there non-dragon predators that are stupid enough to try to eat young phoenixes? Or do the parents abandon them early? Something has to be culling the population, otherwise we'd see thousands of them.
Apart from dragons I'm betting not much though equestria has some pretty mean creatures living in it. That and one could assume that their qualities must have lead to systematic hunting by ponies to sell feathers for magical purposes in the past or whatever. Then one could also assume that phoenixes don't mate that much or their behaviour is as such that it is rare that many of them are in the same place. (there is also a lot of dragons if last episode means anything)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
New episode clip. Sounds a bit out of sync, but watchable!
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/hurricane-fluttershy-clip-number-two.html

Yay Derpy, and new BG ponies, and OMG that muscle pony....

The fandom may select one of the following...

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank
Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt VanderHuge
Thick McRunFast
Blast Hardcheese
Buff Drinklots
Slab
Hunk
Flink
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefknob
Smash Lampjaw
Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpec
Rip Steakface
Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron
Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck
Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefbroth
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody
Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Pete Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

McNum

The fandom may select one of the following...

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank
Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt VanderHuge
Thick McRunFast
Blast Hardcheese
Buff Drinklots
Slab
Hunk
Flink
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefknob
Smash Lampjaw
Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpec
Rip Steakface
Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron
Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck
Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefbroth
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody
Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Pete Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef
The choice has been made...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Derpy sans the derpy eyes by the looks of it... And yeah that muscle pony is amazing. You could see it in the previous promo too.

Wrong. They were cross-eyed in quite a few shots. They don't always have to be cross-eyed.

Also, the correct answer is Blast Hardcheese.

Dai101

Banned
Kind of meh on this episode. Didn't really stand out as especially good or bad. It was cool to see some new locations and Phoenixes

Eyup....... since hearts & hooves day i've already LOST any interest in this show, the last two episodes have been not just bad but bland and ultimally meh. Next week appears to be in the same line. Well, the show got a good run though.

Cheerilee

Well here's my fan fic:

Celestia found/saved the egg during the war of dragons vs ??? (probably not ponies/allicorns since when fighting an enemy you learn a lot about them, right?).

But then Twilight succeeded. And so Celestia gave the hatchling to Twilight.

Third option, the teenage dragon said that Spike was "vaguely ponyish" (something that appeared to have bothered him immediately, but he couldn't put his finger on it until ponies were mentioned) and pressed Spike on the possibility that he could be "part pony"...

It would explain Spike's magical link to Celestia.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Third option, the teenage dragon said that Spike was "vaguely ponyish" (something that appeared to have bothered him immediately, but he couldn't put his finger on it until ponies were mentioned) and pressed Spike on the possibility that he could be "part pony"...

Um, no, that's just the fact that he's been raised around ponies.

Cheerilee

Um, no, that's just the fact that he's been raised around ponies.

The teenage dragon was aware of that part. And then he pushed it farther than that. He said that "if he didn't know any better" (which is just a way of not directly saying what he was going to say), he'd say Spike was part pony.

And then Spike denied it, claiming he was 100% pure dragon (even though he knows nothing of his origin). So they changed gears and the teenager made Spike prove his dragon worth.

Of course, the teenager could've just been throwing insults. Unless he was on to something.

blamite

But that's impossible, everyone knows dragon-ness is recessive.

I thought about that while watching. But then he survived lava. I thought he was going to get burned there..

Cheerilee

I thought about that while watching. But then he survived lava. I thought he was going to get burned there..
That just means he has the heat resistance of a pure dragon.

The thing that "proved" Spike was a real dragon (or at least earned the respect of dragons) was when he might have exceeded a dragon's typical physical impact tolerance with the bellyflop. And physical toughness is an Earth Pony trait.

Edit: If Celestia is Spike's mother, it might explain why both of Spike's romantic interests (Moondancer and Rarity) have been white-body Unicorns.

Cheerilee

You are some strange, horrible people sometimes....

If Rarity x Spike is on the table, and Spike's pure dragon lineage can be questioned, then it's possible that Celestia is not a baby snatcher. That when she grabbed the newly-hatched dragon after Twilight's test and personally raised him for several years (Faust canon), it wasn't creepy, it was beautiful.

But Americans are generally more comfortable with the idea of pony/dragon wars and mass killings and war orphans than they are with sex.

I admit I amn strange, thing is..I just...do not care! But I keep my pony and strange things seperate at least.

(and could not resist a chance to spell out Oedipus...lol)

If Rarity x Spike is on the table, and Spike's pure dragon lineage can be questioned, then it's possible that Celestia is not a baby snatcher. That when she grabbed the newly-hatched dragon after Twilight's test and personally raised him for several years (Faust canon), it wasn't creepy, it was beautiful.

But Americans are generally more comfortable with the idea of pony/dragon wars and mass killings and war orphans than they are with sex.

Couple things are wrong with this.

1. If Spike is part-pony then Celestia would have to be male since ponies do live births and do not lay eggs. Then you would have to explain the lack of wings and any other pony trait in the offspring of a pony god. I will admit she did something to him after he was born in giving him magic fire and stunted his growth which explains the size change in Secrets of My Excess when greedy Spike goes through puberty and hits adulthood when he's greedy and why he's smaller than all of the 'teen' dragons.

2. Spike's affection for Rarity can be explained in 2 ways, first Spike has been around ponies his entire life and has never seen a female dragon so he's been conditioned to seek love with a pony or it's just a hormonal thing where species doesn't matter as long as it's of the opposite race ala a dog humping a person's leg.

3. It depends cross-species breeding is more a sci-fi thing than anything else due to the fact that cross-species breeding can't happen for the most part, you do have some cross-species breeding in the Shrek films. War orphan is just a more believable back-story than genetic offspring of a pony god & a dragon.

Cheerilee

Couple things are wrong with this.

1. If Spike is part-pony then Celestia would have to be male since ponies do live births and do not lay eggs.
Strictly speaking, most half-breeds in fiction are physically impossible, but the fantasy genre is littered with them. Ponies are basically a replacement for humans in MLP, and human/dragon hybrids are very common. Once you get past the fact that it's physically impossible in our world, there can be various new rules introduced that make it possible in fictional ones. I know I've seen (fictional) examples of human women laying eggs. Often times "a wizard" makes such things possible, and Celestia wouldn't have to look far to find a wizard since she's already one of the best in her universe.

Then you would have to explain the lack of wings and any other pony trait in the offspring of a pony god.
We don't know if pony genetics work the way we think they should (something the show already teased us about), and we know next to nothing about dragons, and even less about what the rules are regarding pony/dragon hybrids, if they exist.

I will admit she did something to him after he was born in giving him magic fire and stunted his growth which explains the size change in Secrets of My Excess when greedy Spike goes through puberty and hits adulthood when he's greedy and why he's smaller than all of the 'teen' dragons.
No reason to assume that Celestia "did those things" to Spike. Those could be dragon traits for all we know.

It's possible that normally any dragon can transport anything combustible to any other dragon, but that a dragon once taught Celestia to produce dragonfire (and then they slept together, but the dragon was a dick so he never wrote her any letters like he promised). In a related note, it's possible that Celestia is ageless not because she's an Alicorn, but because Philomeena taught Celestia how to produce phoenix fire.

War orphan is just a more believable back-story than genetic offspring of a pony god & a dragon.
More believable to you. Any theories that fits the facts (and some that don't) are valid until the writers show their cards. It never occurred to me before this episode that Spike could by a hybrid, and I think that simplifies his backstory (it means there's no need to look farther than Celestia). It potentially answers some questions, while raising many more, which elevates this episode, where some people have complained because they expected to get more info about Spike but found nothing.

Black-Box

Yah I was kind of expecting him to do the right thing and seek to return it. However I can see it if maybe they were trying to search for the parents off screen. Maybe a season 3 episode where Peewee's parents find him and he has to decide between leaving or staying?

Anyway, fun episode. I'm just started going through the typical explosion of Ponibooru stuff and I'm already seeing quite the love for Crackle.

And I laughed so hard when I saw this.
Look at the tags

Also, found this. Coincidence?

I think you are looking into things too much, it is normal to add a picture to another picture, you can see it in a lot of cartoons

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this should be in the Community topic or not so I'm putting here just to be safe.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/john-de-lancie-returning-to-friendship.html

indiana_jones_grail_knight3.jpg

Top Bottom