• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony product first to go out of stock at Hasbro Comic-Con booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I really want that Adventure Time one (Finn plush)... if anyone down there would like to grab me the plush I'll paypal you some cash. PM me yo.

SmithnCo

gGc18.gif

Gif always looks like something straight out of Silent Hill.

Subitai

My daughter watches it. Yeah, it's good. But it is still a kid's show. I don't understand the appeal for adults.
The inside nerd fan service to start out and then a core of fans who build on that pumping out surprisingly good related art, videos, and music. Certainly not all of it is quality, but the part that is has fed on itself to generate even more subsequent content. There is so much now you really can't keep up with all of it casually. There are lots of inside memes and knowledge built on the show that make for a rich idea exchange in the mediums I mentioned before.

In short, hardcore fans make it more appealing to casual fans to be a part of.

Ikael

My daughter watches it. Yeah, it's good. But it is still a kid's show. I don't understand the appeal for adults.

It is an escapist fantasy, like pretty much the majority of videogames or comics, it is not surprising to see that these 3 fandoms overlaps quite a lot. The twist is, this is an escapist fantasy that instead of being about a world with superheroes, or a world of high tech and aliens, this is a fantasy world where everyone is nice to each other; something that for some troubled teenagers seems as otherworldy as the Citadel or the Middle Earth, hence why the whole reputation of "this show attracts stunted people".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I saw a bunch of (professional) models dressed in MLP cosplay there yesterday.

I played with ponies once.

Sometime in 1986, I had this neighbor, a girl my age. I went over to her house and she had My Little Pony toys. I was all like, "Whoa, girl toys! Alls I got are He-Man and Transformers and shit". We played with the ponies and I felt very dirty about it afterwards.

I wonder if the fans really like the show or just going out of their way to be different and creep people out. I mean I have no problem if you like the show, but some of the behaviors of these fans go a little far, imo.
I saw a pick of a guy (maybe from here) with a pony tattoo. It looked pretty real. That's what convinced me that these guys aren't just trolling. My Little Pony plays a huge part in their lives.

Cheerilee

There are plenty of bronies outside the US too.

But GI Joe was clearly labelled as American, so only the American bronies lost their GI Joe-induced manliness.

Says the Canadian GI Joe-loving brony.

It's sad that Pony is more popular than G.I. Joe.
It's sad that GI Joe can't reach it's old heights.

There's nothing sad about My Little Pony making a far better show than it's franchise has seen in it's entire 25 year history, and being rewarded for it.

It's only sad if you decide that one franchise has more "inherent value" than the other, regardless of quality. That My Little Pony does not deserve to be good. And that's the sort of close-minded thinking that has occasionally reduced Lauren Faust to tears.

Pilgor

I just watched the Pinkie Pie - Smile Song. I just don't think it's socially acceptable thing for grown men to be so obsessed with.

I'll leave you all to it though!

Pilgor

CHEEZMO™;39833333 said:
They make me watch ponies there.

Edit: Smile sux. Never got the love for it.

The song itself was fine. I just don't see the appeal in something geared towards children.

What do I know.

rezuth

I just watched the Pinkie Pie - Smile Song. I just don't think it's socially acceptable thing for grown men to be so obsessed with.

I'll leave you all to it though!

Thats cool. Maybe one day you'll be so secure with your masculinity that you won't feel the need to degrade women who have a hard time losing weight. Complain about how women are worse at driving or spend thousands on clothes. When you come to that point maybe you could learn to enjoy fun stuff in life, regardless of how cute it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom