• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Still kind of bitter that the Rockets didn't get the honor of getting swept with closer and more entertaining games, but oh well.

I feel really bad for Kawhi Leonard though. He definitely could've made a bigger difference if he was out there playing.

even though we don't know if Manu's leaving yet, it's good to see so many people praising him

i feel so bad for Kawaii, he worked his ass off to get to such a high level only to get injured and have to watch on the sidelines. because of Kawaii, they can run a lot more one on one and iso plays while still scoring a lot, but i wonder if they should go back to more of the constant passing and moving they used to do, like with what the Warriors started doing after Spurs did it so perfectly in 2014.

If you can find a fault in Kawhi's game, it's that he struggled at times when double teamed and had trouble getting the ball out. Every year he improves some aspect of his game in a major way. I have no doubt that his focus this offseason is going to be about passing and playmaking, and getting his assists up to the 6 or 7 mark (although that's tough on the Spurs as they are the kings of the hockey assist)

Fact is the Zaza play is the biggest story from this series. If you want, stop replying to the "shitposting" and come up with some interesting discussion that will take away replies from that, or are we supposed to have some amazing NBA discussion from "hope Kerr is back on the sidelines!"?
How about this then? Maybe there would be more sympathy for Spurs if LMA and Dedmond didn't pull moves that were just as dirty if not worse. Lets also not act like Spurs winning g1 would have meant they would have won the series or that Kawhi dominating for one half would have continued onwards at that level for every game. A Kawhi led team hasn't made an nba finals and unless CP3 heads there this summer, I only see this path continuing for a few more years.

Pop should have had the sensibility to keep Kawhi out of the game. He didn't even touch Lee btw, he literally hurt his ankle by himself the first time. Still think Zaza is a dirty pos for doing what he did.

LionPride

Banned
Kawhi has a couple weaknesses, mainly in regards to creating for others but not every forward is a LeBron ya know? He improved massively in creating his own shot, is a fantastic shooter, and I'm excited to see him next year.

Also excited to see Warriors/Cavs. Hope no one gets hurt and it's a good 7 game series.

Calling it now, Your 2017-18 MVP

Dude looks like he is already plotting his revenge tour

dWZ06B3.jpg

Kawhi-kun 😭😭

How about this then? Maybe there would be more sympathy for Spurs if LMA and Dedmond didn't pull moves that were just as dirty if not worse.
What Zaza did was unfortunate and careless, but not likely intentional. What LMA tried to do twice, looked like half ass attempts at looking like careless accidents, but executed so poorly that they not only failed, but looked intentional. What Dedmond did was just plain dirty.

Pop should have had the sensibility to keep Kawhi out of the game. He didn't even touch Lee btw, he literally hurt his ankle by himself the first time. Still think Zaza is a dirty pos for doing what he did.

That's wrong. He stepped on David Lee's foot when he wandered onto the sideline and tried to run back onto the court.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwUgsz8i3g

LionPride

Banned
What Zaza did was unfortunate and careless, but not likely intentional. What LMA tried to do twice, looked like half ass attempts at looking like careless accidents, but executed so poorly that they not only failed, but looked intentional. What Dedmond did was just plain dirty.

That's wrong. He stepped on David Lee's foot when he wandered onto the sideline and tried to run back onto the court.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwUgsz8i3g
What all three players did was dirty as hell and upsetting to see as a basketball fan.

I don't know how people can say Pachuli didn't do it intentionally. The dude clearly took one more step to slide his foot under there. Whether he knew he slid it under the right spot, I don't know, but I don't know how you can watch that play over and over and not see it as intentional.

Dragun619

if they can keep simmons, he's a free agent. hopefully he feels comfortable and appreciative of the team and stays.

I'm already expecting to Simmons leave. No doubt a team out there gonna offer him some mad money outside the range of what Spurs can match. But dude, deserves it.

A Kawhi led team hasn't made an nba finals and unless CP3 heads there this summer, I only see this path continuing for a few more years.

What? Wouldn't this only be the first or second year of a Kawhi led team? And dude carried us all the way to the WCF's on what was thought to be transition phase after Duncan retired and Spurs adding like 7 new players.

Calling it now, Your 2017-18 MVP
Dude looks like he is already plotting his revenge tour
dWZ06B3.jpg

Well, if we go by the rate his stats are going.
C876oA_XUAExGan.jpg:small

Jimrpg

Congrats Golden State!

Have to say dubs haven't played anywhere near their best aside from the 2nd half of game 1 west finals when Spurs were down Leonard anyway.

They need to be wary of the Cavs cause Cavs are playing out of their minds right now.

Sorry to Spurs fans who were robbed of a decent west conference finals and had to deal with a stack of injuries. Love Pop usually but he went too far with the Zaza comments. Spurs still the best organisation in the business. Looking to see how LMA does in the offseason. If there was one thing this series showed it was that LMA got exposed badly.

Fuck Zaza cannot be reinforced enough. Dude is a shitbag and robbed us of a great series. After the way the Warriors handled the balls-kicking of Green last year and this incident, it's hard to root for them. But they play great basketball so between them and the Cavs I might lean onto their side.

Boogs31

Does anybody think the Warriors sweep through the Western Conference is more impressive than the Lakers one?

Serious question.

No. You could make an argument that this years run was easier than their run two years ago that everyone claimed was a cakewalk. They benefited from injuries in every round this year. Nurkic on Portland, Hill on Utah, and Kawhi on San Antonio.

At least they had to play Memphis and Houston at full strength in their title run in 2015.

Emwitus

No. You could make an argument that this years run was easier than their run two years ago that everyone claimed was a cakewalk. They benefited from injuries in every round this year. Nurkic on Portland, Hill on Utah, and Kawhi on San Antonio.

At least they had to play Memphis and Houston at full strength in their title run in 2015.

So everyone just forgot about tony parker?

This is kind of what I was talking about before. What the Warriors are doing is very impressive and I could not give any less of a shit about it.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
It's a travesty Klay didn't make All NBA.

Regular season award blah blah blah. But, yeah, Warriors have been playing through the entirety of the playoffs with a shooting guard who is defending well but can't shoot (so, like many other shooting guards). Just imagine if the real Klay shows up and Kerr comes back.

Kawhi has a couple weaknesses, mainly in regards to creating for others but not every forward is a LeBron ya know? He improved massively in creating his own shot, is a fantastic shooter, and I'm excited to see him next year.

He was already better at being point-forward once Parker was done for the season but the Spur has finally found a future PG in Murray anyway so Kawhi can go back and do what he does best (aka everything).

Ripenen

Regular season award blah blah blah. But, yeah, Warriors have been playing through the entirety of the playoffs with a shooting guard who is defending well but can't shoot (so, like many other shooting guards). Just imagine if the real Klay shows up and Kerr comes back.

Is current Klay better than Shumpert or JR?

Does anybody think the Warriors sweep through the Western Conference is more impressive than the Lakers one?

Serious question.

No. The Lakers beat the Blazers, Kings and Spurs in a row and all three of those teams were really really good.

A closer question would be if those Lakers would beat the current Warriors team. I think they would because Shaq that year was a force of nature, but it would be damn close.

Any thoughts on Chris Paul to the Spurs?

Hell no. The Spur barely has a cap to work with this offseason, especially if they can't move Pau Gasol. They have so many spots to fill with so little money. Jonathon Simmon is definitely gone for a huge paycheck somewhere. Manu is gone as we all know. Dewayne Dedmon is very likely gone for money as well. Parker will be gone for god know how long. Now that's 4 spots that the Spur need to fill

Starting PG - that's definitely Murray spot. He's amazing in his limited time in this playoff. He's the part of Spur future.

Athletic big - Dennis Bertan will fill this. Just like Murray, he really shines in this playoff and he's a really promising stretch 4, something the Spur doesn't have since Matt Bonner.

Slashing Wing off the bench - Now I don't know what they will do with this. Kyle Anderson can play this roll but he rarely cuts and is just too damn slow.

Back up PG - Patty Mills is a FA this year and I don't think the Spur will match anything more than $8m for Mills. He is very inconsistent and liable on defense despite being a vet in this team. Parker might accept this roll when he comes back but the team still need to find a temporary PG at least for the beginning of the season.

As you can see, there is no reason for the Spur to chase after CP3 since not only they will have to overpay him but he will also be a burden for Murray's development. I'm sure Pop and Buford will do their magic and find some lost gems somewhere.

No. The Lakers beat the Blazers, Kings and Spurs in a row and all three of those teams were really really good.

A closer question would be if those Lakers would beat the current Warriors team. I think they would because Shaq that year was a force of nature, but it would be damn close.

Shaq will just step on Draymond to the rim. People tend to forget what a monster Shaq used to be.

Mortemis

Banned
Sad if that was Manu's last game. Major respect to him, while I didn't like the spurs growing up I always loved watching him and Tony play.

xfactor99

Hell no. The Spur barely has a cap to work with this offseason, especially if they can't move Pau Gasol. They have so many spots to fill with so little money. Jonathon Simmon is definitely gone for a huge paycheck somewhere. Manu is gone as we all know. Dewayne Dedmon is very likely gone for money as well. Parker will be gone for god know how long. Now that's 4 spots that the Spur need to fill

Starting PG - that's definitely Murray spot. He's amazing in his limited time in this playoff. He's the part of Spur future.

Athletic big - Dennis Bertan will fill this. Just like Murray, he really shines in this playoff and he's a really promising stretch 4, something the Spur doesn't have since Matt Bonner.

Slashing Wing off the bench - Now I don't know what they will do with this. Kyle Anderson can play this roll but he rarely cuts and is just too damn slow.

Back up PG - Patty Mills is a FA this year and I don't think the Spur will match anything more than $8m for Mills. He is very inconsistent and liable on defense despite being a vet in this team. Parker might accept this roll when he comes back but the team still need to find a temporary PG at least for the beginning of the season.

As you can see, there is no reason for the Spur to chase after CP3 since not only they will have to overpay him but he will also be a burden for Murray's development. I'm sure Pop and Buford will do their magic and find some lost gems somewhere.

Shaq will just step on Draymond to the rim. People tend to forget what a monster Shaq used to be.

I disagree. CP3 is one of the top 10 players in the league; if he wants to come you do what you can to get him. Dejounte Murray is a nice player but you don't structure your team building around him.

I also think your analysis of a hypothetical Warriors - Lakers lineup is very simplistic. While Shaq was a great and dominant player on the offensive end, I think that Lakers team would have struggled greatly at dealing with the Warriors 3-point, perimeter-oriented attack. They had no competent wing defenders outside of Kobe on a good day.

Surfinn

Sad if that was Manu's last game. Major respect to him, while I didn't like the spurs growing up I always loved watching him and Tony play.

Same. I couldn't stand when they would occasionally kick our asses (Kings) back in the day. And I grew kinda pissed at them for being so good for so many damn years, lol. But then I realized I should be applauding them.

They were SO fun to watch though. Manu and Parker (and obviously Duncan) were each one of a kind in their own ways. Two of the very best I've ever seen

one of the biggest weaknesses that doesn't get mentioned is how Shaq was poor defending the 1-5 pick and roll. if a player like bibby could exploit it with simple freethrow extended line jumpers.. imagine the havoc Curry would create having to force Shaq to come out and defend the 3.

I was so bummed when the Lakers didn't get Aldrige. I didn't realize he is so stiff in his movements, and slow. He is not the center I thought he was. I think i would take McGee over him lol i never thought Id say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom