• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Pistons fan, and I don't even know why people would want Drummond. Huge contract for someone that only seems to care about getting rebounds, and the occasional dunk. He doesn't play hard defense, slow to get back, doesn't block much for his size, has the most basic offensive/post game to the point he can't take advantage of a mismatch, free throw shooting so bad that it benches him in the clutch, and just overall it doesn't come across as he actually loves the game, and has the passion to be great, or even improve.

VeeP

I'm a Pistons fan, and I don't even know why people would want Drummond. Huge contract for someone that only seems to care about getting rebounds, and the occasional dunk. He doesn't play hard defense, slow to get back, doesn't block much for his size, has the most basic offensive/post game to the point he can't take advantage of a mismatch, free throw shooting so bad that it benches him in the clutch, and just overall it doesn't come across as he actually loves the game, and has the passion to be great, or even improve.

Yep. Dude has some serious potential. But, it really seems like he doesn't want to try or isn't motivated.

When he is motivated he's a great player. Plays good defense, can take advantage of situations, grabs every single rebound. But he just disappears in games, just lacks motivation or something.

Idk, maybe a good coach can help push him to be better, he's got a lot of potential. Problem is that he doesn't seem to want to improve.

Edit: is there a rumor he's going to be traded or are we just speculating?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Cap gonna go up at least once more, maybe another time

Ain't worried bout that

even still paying him like a superstar makes no sense as the pistons fan pointed out. He gets a lot of rebounds, but he has huge lapses on defense and is a disaster on offense. He also is susceptible to the hack-a strategy so he can't be relied on down the stretch. If he was on the trajectory he was in his first two years I'd be all for it. He was a defensive monster while also putting up monster rebound numbers.

LionPride

Banned
even still paying him like a superstar makes no sense as the pistons fan pointed out. He gets a lot of rebounds, but he has huge lapses on defense and is a disaster on offense. He also is susceptible to the hack-a strategy so he can't be relied on down the stretch. If he was on the trajectory he was in his first two years I'd be all for it. He was a defensive monster while also putting up monster rebound numbers.
He's only 23, you speaking like he can't improve anymore. Most folks ain't in they peak till 25/26. Fourth Quarter comes slide Horford to 5 and post someome at 4. Hell make it Jae and have Brown at 3.

effzee

For them to have a shot, they need to do all of that AND defend much, much more effectively. Even in their blowout wins against the Celtics, for example, they gave up so many open looks but Boston couldn't convert on them. If they do that again versus Golden State, they'll never have a chance.

oh yeah well that's why i think they get swept. they play worse D and the warriors are improved on offense.

SLAM Magazine @SLAMonline

Durant says he's not to blame for NBA's parity problem.

"Am I the reason Brooklyn gave all their picks to Boston?"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's only 23, you speaking like he can't improve anymore. Most folks ain't in they peak till 25/26. Fourth Quarter comes slide Horford to 5 and post someome at 4. Hell make it Jae and have Brown at 3.

No I'm not saying he can't improve, I'm saying you don't pay that particular guy on potential after what he's shown in the last year and a half.

LionPride

Banned
I have to say I don't care that KD went to the Warriors but his attitude since leaving has changed my view on him. He just comes across angry more so than ever before.
Huh

Playing up the villain huh

Like someone did when they first went to Miami huh

Interesting

phanphare

Banned
I would love to see drummond on the celtics honestly, would help them out a ton

they could use a double double center

his contract is a bit much though but just as a player and what he brings he'd be a perfect fit for them

effzee

It doesn't really matter. If we are going to praise someone for their appearances, in addition to their wins, then competition has to be a factor.

The reason why this is of particular note to me is that when we talk about the legends, we always talk about how many they won, not their total appearances. To me, appearances don't matter nearly as much. At the end of the season, #2 is the same as #30 in that they don't have a ring.

"Kobe's got 5," etc. etc. etc. We never talk about the ones they lost, i.e. "Kobe made it to 7". When people talk about Curry's accomplishments, they often cite, in order, 2xMVP (1 unanimous), 1 chip, and his ridiculous season, never that he has 3 straight finals appearances.

It's just interesting is all. I will give LeBron all the props in the world for his wins. In 2012, he defeated 3 budding superstars in 5 games. In 2013, he successfully repeated (incredibly hard to do) by defeating the Spurs and playing fantastically in the closeout game 7. In 2016, he had probably one of the best, if not THE best finals performance of all time as a huge underdog to win it all.

Why the hell would I care about his appearances, even if he played great? The variance season to season has led to all types of reasons for teams going as far as they do. The one constant is that the east is incredibly weak.

Noone is celebrating his finals trips. It is a cool thing to notice but its like surpassing all-time legends on a scoring list. Its a cool thing to notice but not necessarily celebrated. 7 Trips is an accomplishment no matter what you think about the East but its just a momentary compliment.

Personally this MJ v Lebron argument is such nonsense. Different players, style, eras, and teams. MJ is 6 for 6 and if that is your only measure for #1 than I don't think any player ever is going to top that. If that alone makes him the greatest than so be it. Its a legit argument.

Lebron can also be considered one of the best ever or the GOAT regardless of his finals record because context matters.

megalowho

I would love to see drummond on the celtics honestly, would help them out a ton

they could use a double double center

his contract is a bit much though but just as a player and what he brings he'd be a perfect fit for them
Not sure about fit, Brad's system is flexible but he really values skilled bigs that can stretch defenders to the perimeter and move the ball around. They need rebounding help, but not at the expense of those other elements from the position.

phanphare

Banned
Not sure about fit, Brad's system is flexible but he really values skilled bigs that can stretch defenders to the perimeter and move the ball around. They need rebounding help, but not at the expense of those other elements from the position.

I feel like as long as he had the pieces to play 4 out it'd be more than fine

No more talking about Drummond to the Celtics. It makes me sad. Just bring over Zizic and hope he can rebound better than anyone we have now.

Bread

Banned
Drummond is such a bad fit for the Celtics, I don't even understand this discussion.

Have you watched them play? They thrive because of the spacing and versatility that Horford provides at the C position. Bringing in a guy who needs to be under the basket to be successful would be a huge issue. IT couldn't get to the rack because of the clogged paint and Horford would be forced to cover 4s. The Celtics need to find a rebounding 4 who can stretch the floor, not an old fashioned center.

LionPride

Banned
Drummond is such a bad fit for the Celtics, I don't even understand this discussion.

Have you watched them play? They thrive because of the spacing and versatility that Horford provides at the C position. Bringing in a guy who needs to be under the basket to be successful would be a huge issue. IT couldn't get to the rack because of the clogged paint and Horford would be forced to cover 4s. The Celtics need to find a rebounding 4 who can stretch the floor, not an old fashioned center.
Hint hint

In my mind

IT ain't there

phanphare

Banned

that sounds more like a horford problem

Just realized how fucked the Grizzlies have been.

Every year they were healthy in the playoffs they would have been the best non Lebron playoff team from 2011-2017.

Sucks so much they are stuck in the west and we missed out on like 5-6 awesome series that would've been better than watching Lebron wreck trash squads.

phanphare

Banned
Ok? Replace IT with Fultz and the issue remains. Drummond doesn't fit Stevens' offense.

It sounds more like a "we don't need an ineffective defender who can't stretch the floor at the C" problem.

the great coaches build around what they have, they don't force a certain type of offense on a personnel group if it doesn't fit. brad is a great coach. also every center doesn't need to be a stretch 5.

How is that a Horford problem? Drummond clearly doesn't fit in Stevens' system. Also, he isn't good.

it sounded like moving him to the 4 would be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom