• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
Seems racist.

Its definitely not intended to be. However the comparison of "Projected top 10 pick who is 7ft tall shoots 3s and not much else" doesnt leave too many comparisons. Would you prefer me say Enjoy Yi Jianlian? There arent really too many other comparisons from the last 20 years that fit the description.

Charlie Villanueva? Channing Frye? Although both guys are slightly shorter. But drafted top 10 and dont do much but shoot.

Depends on where the pick falls and who gets #1. I could see the Lakers taking Ball over Fultz.

That would be a giant mistake. All LA need is a good PG and they are ready to make a jump.

kyle-lowry-featured.jpg

Lowry's elbow was fucked last year. His injury this year was "loose bodies in wrist" - post-surgery the injury can't flare up or come back in any way, the main issue is getting back into a rhythm
Has he been injured all 3 years and if he plays like the last 3 years again, is it because he was injured until weeks before the PS? I'm just trying to get the story straight if it repeats again. I'm not saying both or one isn't stepping up, but there's been little reason to expect them to when they haven't had a single great PS (or even very good for that matter).

I want a Rockets sweep after seeing that nonsense MVP list ESPN had.
Wouldn't doubt it if it happened at all. Rockets will body them in 5 though. Then we will have the most cringe MVP award 2 months later giving it to a dude that couldn't get out of first round with a terrible overall team record. But you know, he got 1 more rebound than Harden, that's what's important!

Ronin Ray

yes, because the lakers have been so good lately. dude threw money at Shaq and was able to get him, tanked to get Kobe, and then threw money at Pau.

When's the last time Jerry West was with the Lakers ? I thought he's been with the warriors for awhile and help bulid that franchise .

parasight

Has he been injured all 3 years and if he plays like the last 3 years again, is it because he was injured until weeks before the PS? I'm just trying to get the story straight if it repeats again. I'm not saying both or one isn't stepping up, but there's been little reason to expect them to when they haven't had a single great PS (or even very good for that matter).

While I have been greatly disappointed by Lowry's performance in the post season, I'm starting to think that most people tend to overlook just how good he was in some very key games in the playoffs. His Game 7 performance against Miami pretty much singlehandedly won us the game. Or there's his Game 3 performance against them where he stepped up huge in the 2nd half. Also led our team in Game 4 against the Cavs which tied the ECF up at 2-2. It's easy to look at his shooting numbers and be convinced that he struggled, because he did. But it's not like he laid an egg in every single game. He came up clutch in very important games.

While I have been greatly disappointed by Lowry's performance in the post season, I'm starting to think that most people tend to overlook just how good he was in some very key games in the playoffs. His Game 7 performance against Miami pretty much singlehandedly won us the game. Or there's his Game 3 performance against them where he stepped up huge in the 2nd half. Also led our team in Game 4 against the Cavs which tied the ECF up at 2-2. It's easy to look at his shooting numbers and be convinced that he struggled, because he did. But it's not like he laid an egg in every single game. He came up clutch in very important games.
I've seen him play dude, he's been garbage and nowhere near the player that he is at times during RS. That's like saying Curry played well in last year's final because he took the pivotal game 4 game to make 3-1 when he hit 39 points. That's not how it works. You compare him to other stars, and it's basically insulting them with the way he's played.

He, Defrozen and one of the 7 dwarves can prove me wrong, but for me both the Celtics and Raptors are the biggest frontrunners coming into the playoffs. And for some people OKC as well, since people believing Russ hunting for trip doubles is better than improving your team.

Sure you do. Lauri only averaged .5 steals and .7 blocks per 40 minutes in college. Steals and blocks are one of the best indicators of future success at NBA level as they measure agility and athleticism. Those numbers are poor. Aditionally his averaging 1.2 assists per 40 seems to indicate that he is a poor passer and or struggles to read the game at college level speed.

There are enough skilled big men who are learning to shoot 3s that i would rather try and turn a big man at a later pick with a good FT% into a 3pt shooter (enough Pros have shown its a skill that can be developed in the NBA) over drafting a high potential player with only one statistically proven skill. Thats madness.

Markkanen is more athletic than Nowitzki. Also not a great steal/block guy, but a natural scorer just like Lauri. And at this stage or age, Markkanen is better off the dribble than what Nowitzki was. Also that Hartenstein comment means you have never seen Markkanen play outside of Arizona.

Assists numbers have more to do with how Arizona used him last year. After Trier returned Markkanen became a stand up jump shooter. Every offense ran through him in the U20's and he put up 30+ vs. Spain. Mostly playing off the post and driving to the basket. He can handle the ball and go off the dribble just fine for his age. Now if all you have him do is make a pick and shoot a jumper, you are not going to get much more than that. He's been a ball handler his whole youth national team career and Arizona was the first team ever where he was forced to become a stand up jump shooter.

He's also a much better athlete than people give him credit for. Will he be a big shot blocker? No. Neither was Bird or Nowitzki. And you can try all you want, you won't turn a single prospect who can't shoot into Markkanen, no matter how long you coach them.

Bread

Banned
I agree with DasPenguin, Lauri has the potential to be a Dirk/Bird hybrid. If he doesn't go first I'd be shocked. Do it Danny!

Slizeezyc

If you're cool with having a center (power forward, lolz, why would you use him as a PF -- he's a man unlike Porzingis, Lauri can play center) who can't rebound and guard, then sure, draft Lauri super high! Boston definitely needs him for sure, rebounding and a defensive presence are certainly not an issue there, they need to go for Lauri 100 percent.

It's not like a center's most important job is defense or anything anyway. It's not like the Nuggets still have no real title hopes no matter how good Jokic is on offense. It's not like Rudy Gobert (and small sample size Embiid in a different light) didn't just prove yet again how much better your team can be having a dominant defensive center while Towns and Jokic are setting records on offense and riding Lottery odds.

In short, Lauri is without a doubt the best big-man shooting prospect maybe ever in the draft based on stats, age and how he can get his shot off. Draft him first, you don't need a big who can play defense, there's no data that supports it, none. Zero.

Fjordson

Steph's shoes are the absolute worst. It pains me how bad they are.

I don't think it's a matter of taste though, more just about the money. Klay apparently has a huge ass deal from Anta and his shoes do well in China and Steph's deal is huge and even includes part ownership of Under Armour. Even if they know the shoes are bad the deals are too lucrative lol.

Honestly, Klay's aren't hat bad compared to Steph's imo. I don't rock basketball shoes anymore and most of Anta's colorways are way over the top, but for on court shoes they look better than Steph's.

I was just curious and looked up the Curry 3's (the last time I cared about bball shoes were T-Mac 2's). I've got to think the Curry 3's probably have some godly ankle coverage.

jdstorm

Banned
Markkanen is more athletic than Nowitzki. Also not a great steal/block guy, but a natural scorer just like Lauri. And at this stage or age, Markkanen is better off the dribble than what Nowitzki was. Also that Hartenstein comment means you have never seen Markkanen play outside of Arizona.

Assists numbers have more to do with how Arizona used him last year. After Trier returned Markkanen became a stand up jump shooter. Every offense ran through him in the U20's and he put up 30+ vs. Spain. Mostly playing off the post and driving to the basket. He can handle the ball and go off the dribble just fine for his age. Now if all you have him do is make a pick and shoot a jumper, you are not going to get much more than that. He's been a ball handler his whole youth national team career and Arizona was the first team ever where he was forced to become a stand up jump shooter.

He's also a much better athlete than people give him credit for. Will he be a big shot blocker? No. Neither was Bird or Nowitzki. And you can try all you want, you won't turn a single prospect who can't shoot into Markkanen, no matter how long you coach them.

Admittedly i havent watched much of Lauri play. So im only going off stats and draft history*. His 3pt shooting stats are great, his other stats less so. When you are a team like Boston and without a "star" and in need of versatile players and defense it makes little sense to forgo a practically sure thing star for a high ceiling low floor player.

If Lauri's jumpshot really is as good as the numbers indicate then he will be a 10+ year pro. However long above the break and straightaway 3pt shots (Lauri's likely most common NBA shot attempts) are the worst type of 3s due to the long rebounds that happen when they miss. As a pro he will probably average from 2/5 to 3/6 from 3 per game. Which is a fine and useful player. Just not someone you use a top 5 pick on unless you can afford to take a risk. He will probably go in the 6-10 range since many of the teams projected to go higher have actual needs at PG and in a draft this full of PGs probably shouldnt take a risk this big on a "next dirk"

Lakers need a PG more then they need a C.

Boston need a shot creating SG or versatile defensive PF

Pheonix need to get older. (They are actually pretty set) but will go either a PG or SF since TJ Warren is getting closer to ending his rookie contract and there are some great SFs availiable

Philly have all the big men they are ever going to need. They need guards/wings.

The Knicks already have Porzingis and will be looking to fill holes elsewhere

Sacramento desperately need a PG and are overloaded with bigs so will probably take a wing with their 2nd pick.

That leaves Dallas, Minny and Orlando as the likely teams Lauri could land on.

Honestly out of those groups, if i were Lauri's agent i would be aiming for Dallas. They Already have a bunch of good wings/prospects (Barnes, Mathews, Finney-Smith and Anderson) they have a few defensive bigs (Noel and I'm bullish on Hammons) Dallas also have Dirk and Carlisle who can both act as a mentor to Lauri and who understand how he will fit and succeed in an NBA offense.

That No1 pick money sure is nice, but Lauri dropping to Dallas would probably be best for him in the long-term while also being better for most of the teams that pass on him.

Aditionally you might not find another Big who can shoot as well as Lauri, but their will be SG's and PGs who do. While its impressive for a big man and playing 5 shooter lineups is going to be a thing going forward. The player who takes the highest volume of those shots will vary and likely be a guard.

There is a "Next Dirk" in the draft almost every year.

Edit: The Lakers going for Ball would be a mistake. Having 2 6'6 guards at PG and SG sounds great in theory but having a smaller more agile PG for navigating and running half court offense is essential to being a good team.

Under that premise it would be a waste to double up on essentially the same player (Dlo/Ball) when you have other needs.

jdstorm

Banned
Why do the Lakers need a PG? I thought D'Angelo's legit?

Dlo is legit, but at 6'5 he's more like a highly skilled SG then a PG. He's so highly skilled that he's a good option at PG compared to most other players (see James Harden in Houston) However pairing him with a real PG allows you to play him off the ball more and save his energy for defense and Iso offense since Dlo would be the team's closer even with a real PG.

The best example is probably the 2012 thunder with Westbrook Durant and Harden. LA (hopefully) have their Durant (Ingram) and Harden (Russell) so taking the best player out of Fultz, Monk and Smith to be their Westbrook makes a lot of sense.

Edit. Fox is a good PG prospect too but his lack of shooting places him outside that list, and the lakers only keep their pick if its in the top 3.

FZZ

Banned
^did you list Fultz with two other PGs lower ranked than Ball? Lmao

See this what I'm talking about

Dynomutt

Jesus, how many NBA careers she gonna ruin...

Say what you want at this point one could argue that the Kardashians are empirically bad for sports...

Reggie Bush
Miles Austin
Kris Humphries
Lamar Odom
James Harden - MVP caliber season after breaking up with one. Glad he recovered.
Tristan Thompson

Kardashian Kakes are bad for your diet...Too much jelly.

Say what you want at this point one could argue that the Kardashians are empirically bad for sports...

Reggie Bush
Miles Austin
Kris Humphries
Lamar Odom
James Harden - MVP caliber season after breaking up with one. Glad he recovered.
Tristan Thompson

Wow didn't know Austin was involved with one.

Phil Jackson is giving Melo the United Airlines treatment.

Feel bad for Melo man dude got ripped by George Karl and now Phil Jackson telling him to get the fuck out and waive that no-trade clause.

Reggie Bush
Miles Austin
Kris Humphries
Lamar Odom
Tristan Thompson

No room for OJ? (Or does he count?)

Tom Penny

he's like the definition of a pure PG

great court vision and amazing passing abilities
If he's BPA if take him but he's the opposite of and NBA PG now. You need to be a threat to drop 15-20 ppg nowadays. Actually i'd trade the pick since it would be 3 or worse. Ainge would take Josh Jackson.

Sandfox

Porzingis skipped out on his exit interview due to frustration over the Knicks being so dysfunctional.

Admittedly i havent watched much of Lauri play. So im only going off stats and draft history*. His 3pt shooting stats are great, his other stats less so. When you are a team like Boston and without a "star" and in need of versatile players and defense it makes little sense to forgo a practically sure thing star for a high ceiling low floor player.

If Lauri's jumpshot really is as good as the numbers indicate then he will be a 10+ year pro. However long above the break and straightaway 3pt shots (Lauri's likely most common NBA shot attempts) are the worst type of 3s due to the long rebounds that happen when they miss. As a pro he will probably average from 2/5 to 3/6 from 3 per game. Which is a fine and useful player. Just not someone you use a top 5 pick on unless you can afford to take a risk. He will probably go in the 6-10 range since many of the teams projected to go higher have actual needs at PG and in a draft this full of PGs probably shouldnt take a risk this big on a "next dirk"

Lakers need a PG more then they need a C.

Boston need a shot creating SG or versatile defensive PF

Pheonix need to get older. (They are actually pretty set) but will go either a PG or SF since TJ Warren is getting closer to ending his rookie contract and there are some great SFs availiable

Philly have all the big men they are ever going to need. They need guards/wings.

The Knicks already have Porzingis and will be looking to fill holes elsewhere

Sacramento desperately need a PG and are overloaded with bigs so will probably take a wing with their 2nd pick.

That leaves Dallas, Minny and Orlando as the likely teams Lauri could land on.

Honestly out of those groups, if i were Lauri's agent i would be aiming for Dallas. They Already have a bunch of good wings/prospects (Barnes, Mathews, Finney-Smith and Anderson) they have a few defensive bigs (Noel and I'm bullish on Hammons) Dallas also have Dirk and Carlisle who can both act as a mentor to Lauri and who understand how he will fit and succeed in an NBA offense.

That No1 pick money sure is nice, but Lauri dropping to Dallas would probably be best for him in the long-term while also being better for most of the teams that pass on him.

Aditionally you might not find another Big who can shoot as well as Lauri, but their will be SG's and PGs who do. While its impressive for a big man and playing 5 shooter lineups is going to be a thing going forward. The player who takes the highest volume of those shots will vary and likely be a guard.

There is a "Next Dirk" in the draft almost every year.

Edit: The Lakers going for Ball would be a mistake. Having 2 6'6 guards at PG and SG sounds great in theory but having a smaller more agile PG for navigating and running half court offense is essential to being a good team.

Under that premise it would be a waste to double up on essentially the same player (Dlo/Ball) when you have other needs.
The Lakers need a mobile big that can defend more imo, though I want them to pick up another guard.
he's like the definition of a pure PG

great court vision and amazing passing abilities
Ball is a good prospect, but I wouldn't call him "the definition of a pure pg". He's not really adept at things you would expect from someone with that label.

Ball has NBA 3 range already. I don't think you need to be a scoring PG. just one that's a threat to score from anywhere on the court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom