• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

It's still 3 all-stars vs. none, so yeah still not remotely even matchup.

Dame and CJ may not be named all-stars due to stacked West. But they are all-star level talent. They bodied both Curry and Klay in the first half.

The moment they got into the tempo of the Warriors, the moment they already lost the game.

Fjordson

I'm not sure why people are so surprised Portland is losing like this. There's a reason they barely made the playoffs. And their big addition in Nurkic looked very much like a guy still working his way back from a leg fracture.

jdstorm

Banned
Javale is playing so well I remember people in here arguing why Zaza was still the better C a month and change back lol

Remember when Zaza was almost voted to the ASG this season because of some stats stuff earlier this season. Thankfully we dodged that bullet.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dame and CJ may not be named all-stars due to stacked West. But they are all-star level talent. They bodied both Curry and Klay in the first half.
They have to do so much, you only get one half out of them. That's the problem. And I disagree that they are all-star level talent. If they were, they'd be all-stars.

Fjordson

They have to do so much, you only get one half out of them. That's the problem. And I disagree that they are all-star level talent. If they were, they'd be all-stars.
Huh. Lillard's been an all-star twice and was all-NBA last year. And was certainly good enough to make it this year. Just a matter of being popular enough (one of the reasons all-NBA means much more).

random25

When 2 of the leading MVP candidates are West guards, 1 is a former MVP of the league leading team, and the other is on the same team, then it's hard to become an all-star guard in the West. CJ may be debatable, but Dame is a sure all-star talent. It doesn't help when Portland underachieved during the regular season.

I always knew Warriors would do this series in no more than 5 (it ain't over yet), but Dame & CJ gave us all the trouble I knew they would to make at least game 1 & 3 troublesome. They are potentially potent on offense when they get going, but as I previously stated, the Warriors just have too many weapons to combat them with. some of which were on the bench the last 2 games.

Remember when Zaza was almost voted to the ASG this season because of some stats stuff earlier this season. Thankfully we dodged that bullet.

All-Star Pachulia was great though. But we all knew it wouldn't last.
The funny thing is that if he played like he was on the verge of being an all star all year long, he might actually earn an All Star position, because during that 1 month stretch All Star Pachulia was on point... sadly he turned back into Zaza,

but the real star born this year was JaMailman McMVP.
He can only give limited minutes, but when the minutes he's been giving have been energetic to the whole team.

Fjordson

Jeez. Curry had the game ball postgame, said it was for Kerr who's "going through a lot right now physically"

Shit man. Sounds like it could be his back again. This is a sad thought, but I wonder sometimes if he'll have to retire from coaching in the next few years because of it.

Golden State needs to figure a way to keep McGee, someone is going to try and steal him.

I'm sure Javale will take less money to stay.

and I still think Curry won't max out his deal ($205M?) in an attempt to keep cap space to pay some important role players, like Javale, Iggy, Livingston, etc etc

That is based on nothing as I don't know Curry personally, but he seems like he makes enough from UA and other endorsements to care more about winning titles with solid support around him than maxing out the money. All about that Dynasty and Legacy.

jdstorm

Banned
As good as McGee is right now, I don't think he can replicate this on other teams. He just simply fits with the system the Warriors is implementing right now.

That wouldn't stop another team overpaying Mcgee just to take him away from the Warriors. Quite a few teams have cap space this summer and GSW would be hard pressed to match a huge frontloaded offer.

Edit: Unless you are an extremely Biased Warriors fan. ZAZA the Allstar was not fun. Draymond Green as an undeserving All Star is bad enough. However when you have deserving C candidates in the west like

Gasol, Capella, Bogut, Davis, Jukic, Towns, Gobert, Adams, Chandler, Plumblee, Jordan and Boogie (or WCS). Having a guy who would be the 3rd best C on the Kings or Suns almost get voted to the ASG because he has arguably 3 top 10 players setting him up is BS.

Especially with how low the effort level was at the ASG this year. It was so bad that Kawhi Leonard actually asked not to play much because being on the floor was embarasing.

Nafai1123

Banned
Nurk is a huge liability on D with his mobility issues. I think Dubs will target that more if he plays next game. He made some stuff happen offensively but I dont think it's worth it if he's hurting out there.

Javale brought a ton of energy off the bench on both ends. He's been so good this series.

random25

That wouldn't stop another team overpaying Mcgee just to take him away from the Warriors. Quite a few teams have cap space this summer and GSW would be hard pressed to match a huge frontloaded offer.

Would McGee leave though? I feel like at some point McGee understands that he is in the best situation right now, and GMs may hesitate offer seriously big offers given his past performances before the Warriors.

Fjordson

I'm sure Javale will take less money to stay.

and I still think Curry won't max out his deal ($205M?) in an attempt to keep cap space to pay some important role players, like Javale, Iggy, Livingston, etc etc

That is based on nothing as I don't know Curry personally, but he seems like he makes enough from UA and other endorsements to care more about winning titles with solid support around him than maxing out the money. All about that Dynasty and Legacy.
Doesn't GS having his bird rights help with that? I'm guessing he'll get that new designated veteran max or whatever it's called.

I'm not well versed on cap stuff, but I keep hearing that KD taking a $3 million haircut below his max will be a big help in keeping guys.

random25

Doesn't GS having his bird rights help with that? I'm guessing he'll get that new designated veteran max or whatever it's called.

I'm not well versed on cap stuff, but I keep hearing that KD taking a $3 million haircut below his max will be a big help in keeping guys.

I know it's an autocorrect thing but...giggles.

I read Iggy intends to resign as well.

finowns

As good as McGee is right now, I don't think he can replicate this on other teams. He just simply fits with the system the Warriors is implementing right now.

Well I don't know enough about McGee to really comment but he's an athletic freak he might be able to figure it out on a new team.

Fjordson

Can't believe McCaw is producing like he is, playing 30 minutes a night in the playoffs. Dude looks like he'll be a legit contributor in a few years.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the cap either, but these guys genuinely seem to not only like each other, but have a ton a fun playing together with a real shot at dominating the NBA for a few season, so paycuts and side endorsement deals to supplement potential earnings to keep everyone happy might be the path to keeping the team together.

Maybe GSW can get some Insurance commercials together....

random25

Well I don't know enough about McGee to really comment but he's an athletic freak he might be able to figure it out on a new team.

He's really athletic, that's for sure. But you won't be an NBA journeyman if he's been a consistent contributor to a team. Right now, he really gets a ton of chances because of the great ball movement and unselfish play of the Warriors. With his rejuvenated career, I don't think he intends to leave anytime soon.

beat

Edit: Unless you are an extremely Biased Warriors fan. ZAZA the Allstar was not fun. Draymond Green as an undeserving All Star is bad enough. However when you have deserving C candidates in the west like

Gasol, Capella, Bogut, Davis, Jukic, Towns, Gobert, Adams, Chandler, Plumblee, Jordan and Boogie (or WCS). Having a guy who would be the 3rd best C on the Kings or Suns almost get voted to the ASG because he has arguably 3 top 10 players setting him up is BS.

Y'all gotta be kidding me with this.

1) Dray is a phenomenal player. Nearly irreplaceable.

2) ASG voting was guards and frontcourt. Not guards, forwards, and centers.

Yeah, Tim Kawakami and other local guys have been reporting that. He'll be able to get way more than GS can afford on the open market, but sounds like he's willing to stay here for less.

There were some conversation from people like McGee who have been on multiple different teams where it stated that they love where they are at and it's hard to find a place like this, that plays like this, and that they would love to find ways to stay.
Although I'm sure that sentiment last only as long as they keep winning.

jdstorm

Banned
Would McGee leave though? I feel like at some point McGee understands that he is in the best situation right now, and GMs may hesitate offer seriously big offers given his past performances before the Warriors.

Enes Kanter was statistically close to the worst NBA defender of all time during his first year in OKC, and by PER was similarly productive as Javale Mcgee is now with the Warriors.

Kanter got a 3+1 player option max contract from the Blazers including a trade kicker.

Chandler Parsons is making over 20 million this season despite having a bad injury history and not being worth it.

Loul Deng (Lakers) and Allen Crabbe (Blazers) are both making more money this season then Kawhi Leonard and are making 18 Million a year.

Wes Mathews a glorified career role player is making 17M this season.

It would make sense for a team with a lot of cap room and an incentive to weaken the Warriors to offer Javale a near Max deal just so he didnt play for the Warriors. Especially if that team was planning on tanking.

Oh, I'm sure there's some idiot GM that will offer McGee a shit ton of money.

What will be interesting is if they don't win a ring does he still take the offer?

I'm concerned about Kerr.

Is it something other than his back?
maybe he just didn't want to sit on the plane for a game he knew they should win anyway?

I don't know the severity of his back issues though... I just know he had surgery, but what could he possibly be doing to aggravate his back? He's hardly had reason to smash clipboards this season, but I hope it's not as serious as needing more surgery.

maybe he just didn't want to sit on the plane for a game he knew they should win anyway?

I don't know the severity of his back issues though... I just know he had surgery, but what could he possibly be doing to aggravate his back? He's hardly had reason to smash clipboards this season, but I hope it's not as serious as needing more surgery.
I don't know but the way curry sounded I wonder.

Fjordson

Well that initial surgery after the title is what's still bothering him.

Was getting a herniated disc repaired, but they accidentally nicked the dura near his spinal cord which caused a spinal fluid leak. Causes, migraines, nausea, vertigo, etc. That leak was fixed and he's doing better than when he missed all those games last season, but the symptoms can just sort of flare up randomly

Bay Area writers are now saying on twitter that Golden State doesn't even expect Kerr back on the bench this series, seems like he's in rough shape atm.

Huh. Lillard's been an all-star twice and was all-NBA last year. And was certainly good enough to make it this year. Just a matter of being popular enough (one of the reasons all-NBA means much more).

Blazers were something like 11 games under 0.500 by ASB, this happened for a reason

Kawaii was balling his heart out.

if they would've won the game, he would've become a god.

i feel bad for him having to put the team on his back, but he can obviously take it. he's already the best player in the league.

beat

Bay Area writers are now saying on twitter that Golden State doesn't even expect Kerr back on the bench this series, seems like he's in rough shape atm.
Yeah, it sounds pretty grim: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...in-durant-is-warriors-biggest-health-concern/
At the worst of this current illness, Kerr was in excruciating pain, according to the sources, and he could barely walk. It was scary because it wasn’t a feeling he’s had before.

The worst part, the Warriors don’t yet know what is going. They had to say “illness” because there are no answers yet.

Kerr hasn’t felt well all series, according to people around him, and recently it become unbearable. It is unknown if these issues are even related to his past well-known health problems.

As competitive as Kerr is, we know this: it must be pretty bad if he is missing a playoff game. He is expected to miss the remainder of this Western Conference series.

Spurs need to let it go. Ginobli and Parker eat almost 30 million of cap space. No matter how much Pop can squeeze talent of their players, the squad is in serious need of wings for the second unit and a proper nba guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom