• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Ixion

This game has a much better meta-game than it does actual gameplay.

I love the idea of acquiring players via card packs as a fun way to handle progression and I love how the courts are all in different cities with different atmosphere and music. The actual basketball gameplay though is just not very well thought out.

• The shot timing function isn't intuitive and natural for dunks and layups since the player isn't letting go of the ball at the same time.
  • Not having player ratings for passing and dribbling does a disservice to the players who excelled in those areas, and therefore they end up not being as good as they should. Passes should be executed faster for players with a high passing rating for example.
  • On a related note, the ratings are often not very accurate because it seems the developers tried to balance the players to a degree.
  • Rebounding doesn't allow for any direction control. You just jump straight up, which makes it pretty useless (as many have mentioned in this thread).
  • The computer is much better at defending dunks than 3-pointers. The timing for alley-opps is also really strict. Hence why people just chuck 3s in this game.
  • The player has to come to a full stop for a second in order to spot up for a shot; otherwise the player does a clown shot where they jump and lean five feet to the side and then shoot.

On the plus side for the gameplay, the dunks are satisfying and the power-ups spice up the game a bit. That's about it. However, I'm still enjoying the game somewhat since I love these types of games in general, but it's pretty rough. I'll be keeping on eye on those upcoming patches.

DrDogg

Played this off and on this weekend. Would be a pretty fun game if the AI wasn't so cheap. This game aggravates me to no end on how cheap it is. Can't wait for online to be patched in. Hopefully that will be fun.

I think I'm way more cheap than the AI. Not sure online is going to make you feel any better... lol

Is this on PS4? Is this what 1.02 is? (With it's 2 generic lines of patch notes?)

Not sure what the version number is. Unfortunately, I'm stuck playing this on Xbox. It's the update that hit on Friday for seemingly all platforms except Switch. As far as I know it's the only patch that's hit for the game.

Trust me, you don't. It's the controls you're fighting. They're horrible.

If I may, I want to re-post my earlier post in this thread where I posted impressions
after playing it with my son for a couple solid hours. Not 5 minutes or so but a good
2 hour plus frustration filled play session!

I don't feel the controls are over complicated. They actually feel pretty basic to me.

Shoot/Steal
Jump/Rebound/Block
Pass + Extra Button for Alley-Oop
Sprint
Push/Elbows
Crossover

Basically six buttons, but you can easily get away with only using four.

This game has a much better meta-game than it does actual gameplay.

I love the idea of acquiring players via card packs as a fun way to handle progression and I love how the courts are all in different cities with different atmosphere and music. The actual basketball gameplay though is just not very well thought out.

• The shot timing function isn't intuitive and natural for dunks and layups since the player isn't letting go of the ball at the same time.
  • Not having player ratings for passing and dribbling does a disservice to the players who excelled in those areas, and therefore they end up not being as good as they should. Passes should be executed faster for players with a high passing rating for example.
  • On a related note, the ratings are often not very accurate because it seems the developers tried to balance the players to a degree.
  • Rebounding doesn't allow for any direction control. You just jump straight up, which makes it pretty useless (as many have mentioned in this thread).
  • The computer is much better at defending dunks than 3-pointers. The timing for alley-opps is also really strict. Hence why people just chuck 3s in this game.
  • The player has to come to a full stop for a second in order to spot up for a shot; otherwise the player does a clown shot where they jump and lean five feet to the side and then shoot.

On the plus side for the gameplay, the dunks are satisfying and the power-ups spice up the game a bit. That's about it. However, I'm still enjoying the game somewhat since I love these types of games in general, but it's pretty rough. I'll be keeping on eye on those upcoming patches.

I have my complaints about this game, and it's definitely far from perfect, but I don't agree with most of that list. I think a big issue is people simply don't know how to play. Granted, the game could be more intuitive, but I think people are complaining because they want it to be easy mode.

• Shot timing isn't natural on anything other than 3s, but it's super easy once you know the timing.
  • Most players who are good at passing and dribbling excel in other areas in the game. The way the game works you can't really have a stat for dribbling.
  • I do agree the ratings aren't very accurate. Patrick Ewing draining threes with a 2 rating.
  • Rebounding does allow directional control. It just has strict timing on when you jump. Kind of similar to block timing.
  • Timing for alley-oops isn't really that strict. Again, I think this is just people not knowing how to properly perform alley-oops. They're easier than layups IMO.
  • While I prefer to square up, you can hit leaning shots just as easily if you know the difference in timing.

bumpkin

• Shot timing isn't natural on anything other than 3s, but it's super easy once you know the timing.
  • Most players who are good at passing and dribbling excel in other areas in the game. The way the game works you can't really have a stat for dribbling.
  • I do agree the ratings aren't very accurate. Patrick Ewing draining threes with a 2 rating.
  • Rebounding does allow directional control. It just has strict timing on when you jump. Kind of similar to block timing.
  • Timing for alley-oops isn't really that strict. Again, I think this is just people not knowing how to properly perform alley-oops. They're easier than layups IMO.
  • While I prefer to square up, you can hit leaning shots just as easily if you know the difference in timing.
What's the trick for alley-oop timing? I feel like I've tried several different timings and I can never land one.

DrDogg

What's the trick for alley-oop timing? I feel like I've tried several different timings and I can never land one.

Hold LT/L2 until the "stupid" AI feels like jumping. As soon as they jump, pass the ball while still holding LT/L2. Then release LT/L2 about 1 second later depending on height and court position (earlier if they're already super close to the hoop).

I find it works best if you're at or inside of the 3-point line when passing the ball to the player. If you're farther out the pass can sometimes miss.

arimanius

I think I'm way more cheap than the AI. Not sure online is going to make you feel any better... lol

lol. At least I'd know it's not the AI just stacking things against me. I've had so many things happened at the end of the game that was just blatantly cheap to make the CPU win.

I have my complaints about this game, and it's definitely far from perfect, but I don't agree with most of that list. I think a big issue is people simply don't know how to play. Granted, the game could be more intuitive, but I think people are complaining because they want it to be easy mode.

I mean, I don't really blame people for feeling that way. Accessibility and ability to pick up and play is generally a staple of the arcade sports genre. The timing mechanics are definitely bizarre and unlike anything in any basketball game before it, simulation or otherwise. It probably took me 7-8 hours of playing before I finally felt comfortable hitting dunks, layups, and alley oops consistently. The average person is not going to to be willing to put in that kind of time for a game like this. At the very least, a more fleshed out tutorial/training mode would have gone a long way. Instead it just throws you into tourneys against literally cheating AI and expects you to figure shit out on your own.

megalowho

Played through tournament mode over the weekend and that last game was a big ol' hunk of AI cheese. I get Shaq lent his voice talents but dude doesn't miss from 3, and always with perfect timing. Took a few tries but my strategy of shoot more 3's eventually paid off.

Nothing groundbreaking but I had a good time for budget arcade basketball. Got a handful of solid legends on my roster, enough that the dupes didn't bother me. Lottery pick system is alright, though some of the potential power ups are legit game breaking. Still don't have a good handle on steals or layup timing but the rest of the controls I ended up comfortable with.

Tried an online game, was mostly trading 3's but lag wasn't as bad as I was bracing for. Will check back in if they keep making improvements.

bumpkin

Hold LT/L2 until the "stupid" AI feels like jumping. As soon as they jump, pass the ball while still holding LT/L2. Then release LT/L2 about 1 second later depending on height and court position (earlier if they're already super close to the hoop).

I find it works best if you're at or inside of the 3-point line when passing the ball to the player. If you're farther out the pass can sometimes miss.
I've been getting go of LT/L2 once the other player goes airborne. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to try it the way you're describing and see if I have better luck.

Played through tournament mode over the weekend and that last game was a big ol' hunk of AI cheese. I get Shaq lent his voice talents but dude doesn't miss from 3, and always with perfect timing. Took a few tries but my strategy of shoot more 3's eventually paid off.

Nothing groundbreaking but I had a good time for budget arcade basketball. Got a handful of solid legends on my roster, enough that the dupes didn't bother me. Lottery pick system is alright, though some of the potential power ups are legit game breaking. Still don't have a good handle on steals or layup timing but the rest of the controls I ended up comfortable with.

Tried an online game, was mostly trading 3's but lag wasn't as bad as I was bracing for. Will check back in if they keep making improvements.
I only won the last game because I lucked out and got a 2x multiplier that let me get back into the game with a few three-pointers.

How good is this on Switch? Need some non stressful pick me ups for the console.
It's a lot of fun if you get the hang of it.
Undocked, it could use a bump in resolution but it plays exactly the same as the other versions.
The Rumble is crazy weird but I suspect that it, like Snake Pass, will be refined.
It's a "living game" so expect it to get many updates and tweaks over time.
Good game with a chance to be great.

Ixion

Shot timing isn't natural on anything other than 3s, but it's super easy once you know the timing.

Even if it's easy, it just doesn't feel as good. When someone dunks a basketball they hold onto the ball the whole time and jam it home, so holding onto the controller button the whole time would feel more natural and satisfying. In NBA Playgrounds you let go of the button while the player is still holding the ball, and then you have to basically wait and see for a second and hope the dunk goes in. It just seems like more of an arbitrary mechanic rather than something that makes natural sense for dunking (and lay-ups).

Most players who are good at passing and dribbling excel in other areas in the game. The way the game works you can't really have a stat for dribbling.

Those players may excel at other areas of the game, but they're still not as distinguished as they should be. And I'd say you could have a Pass rating that decides how fast the passes are, and also have a Handles rating that decides how fast your dribbling moves are (thus leaving you more vulnerable to a steal).

Rebounding does allow directional control. It just has strict timing on when you jump. Kind of similar to block timing.

Yeah, I may have described that wrong. All I know is that it feels really weird and I never ever grab a rebound by jumping, even when the ball is one inch from my hand.

Timing for alley-oops isn't really that strict. Again, I think this is just people not knowing how to properly perform alley-oops. They're easier than layups IMO.

While I prefer to square up, you can hit leaning shots just as easily if you know the difference in timing.

I'll try playing around more with these two aspects.

What is this meta you speak of?

I was just referring to how you collect players via card packs, and also the world tour setup of having courts in different, distinct cities around the world. That's not really "Meta" since it's in the game, but I was just referring to aspects surrounding the actual basketball gameplay that I like.

I pulled mullin and Stockton within my first hour of playing, not sure why I'd use anyone else ever for single player content. That's the downside of letting people mix and match everyone. Once friend games are a thing I'll try out the rest of the roster but until then no reason not to fight cheese with cheese.

JohngPR

Do you have to get every Challenge in a tournament to move onto the next tournament venue? I've won all of the games and Las Vegas is still locked for some reason but I have two different challenges That I haven't completed.

I pulled mullin and Stockton within my first hour of playing, not sure why I'd use anyone else ever for single player content. That's the downside of letting people mix and match everyone. Once friend games are a thing I'll try out the rest of the roster but until then no reason not to fight cheese with cheese.

That should work fine for the most part, but trying to out shoot the CPU on the last few tourney rounds is tough since they will also go for lots of 3s and hit perfect shots for +1 nearly every time. Getting steals also takes a bit of luck at that point, even if your players have high stats. While 3s are crucial, I ultimately had to rely on building meter with dunks so I could make the most of the powerups.

Do you have to get every Challenge in a tournament to move onto the next tournament venue? I've won all of the games and Las Vegas is still locked for some reason but I have two different challenges That I haven't completed.

No, Las Vegas is the last venue.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. You don't need to get all the challenges to unlock the next venue, just win all 4 matches.

JohngPR

Sorry, misread your post. You don't need to get all the challenges to unlock the next venue, just win all 4 matches.

OK, thanks. Do you know what the second to the last venue is then? Perhaps I haven't beat the last one but did the challenge and now I don't remember the next game I have to win to unlock Vegas.

Edit: Nevermind, it was London. Had to beat Dirk and Magic.

Spy

As someone who's highly ranked online and says this on a long winning streak, 3 pointers are completely broken. I can consistently hit half court shots with Oscar Robertson. Nothing the opponent can do.

What is the shot timing, anyway? I see a lot of you say you figured it out but I'm still missing layups. Dunks seem to require me to release at the peak of my jump or maybe slightly after? Cant figure out the others. Alley oops seem to have a pretty good rate of success even though I don't think I am doing them exactly right.

bumpkin

How do you open all of the tournaments? I beat the new york, Paris, and Tokyo and got gold. No other ones opened up.
That should be all you have to do, winning all four rounds of each tournament opens the next. Sounds like a bug, maybe?

DrDogg

As someone who's highly ranked online and says this on a long winning streak, 3 pointers are completely broken. I can consistently hit half court shots with Oscar Robertson. Nothing the opponent can do.

You might need to play better people then. I can stop people from shooting 3s regularly. Even from half court I can block their shot (with Curry no less), or just push them.

3s are still OP, but I don't lose to people who just spam 3s from half court. When I lose it's almost always because the other player had host advantage AND got a star power-up.

How do you open all of the tournaments? I beat the new york, Paris, and Tokyo and got gold. No other ones opened up.

Did you beat all the matches or just the challenges? You can complete all four challenges, not win a single match, and it will still say 4/4 for the tournament. You have to win all four matches to unlock the next tournament.

What is the shot timing, anyway? I see a lot of you say you figured it out but I'm still missing layups. Dunks seem to require me to release at the peak of my jump or maybe slightly after? Cant figure out the others. Alley oops seem to have a pretty good rate of success even though I don't think I am doing them exactly right.

• Layup: 1.5 Second Hold
  • Dunk: 1 Second Hold
  • 2-Pointer: 1.5 Second Hold
  • 3-Pointer: 2 Second Hold

so kevin love has a 6 in 3 pointers and marion has a 5 but iverson....i need to stop looking at the stats in this game since they're so meaningless, but since they're so meaningless you'd think they'd be a little less ridiculous. they made them so generic too; from what i can tell, only one player in the game has a speed rating that's not 5, 7 or 10. just such a bizzarre way to rate players.

modsbox

You probably beat the challenges within each of the games but didn't win one of the finals. I believe Tokyo is the 3rd tournament so likely scenario is you got to the finals of Tokyo, got the challenge, but lost the game. I'd try beating the Tokyo finals again just to be sure.

modsbox

Anyone have any strategies to share regarding unlocking Legends once you've beaten all of the tournaments?

I would really like to unlock Steph Curry for my son and had horrible luck with the gold packs thus far. Got James Harden twice in a row in gold packs, unlocked Lebron the next time. Yet still don't have Durant or Curry.

I've heard that if you level up to 50 then each time after that you get gold packs instead of silver, but wow leveling up to 50 will take forever even playing exhibitions to 10 pts. I'm at level 19 now so at 10 exhibitions per level I'm looking at 10 * 30 = 300 exhibitions to hit 50, then another 10 games each time I want a gold pack...

I've tried online and feel like I can win games but AFAIK I only got experience that can then let me get to silver packs... At that point why risk losing online when you can blow through exhibitions pretty quickly.

Anyone have any strategies to share regarding unlocking Legends once you've beaten all of the tournaments?

I would really like to unlock Steph Curry for my son and had horrible luck with the gold packs thus far. Got James Harden twice in a row in gold packs, unlocked Lebron the next time. Yet still don't have Durant or Curry.

I've heard that if you level up to 50 then each time after that you get gold packs instead of silver, but wow leveling up to 50 will take forever even playing exhibitions to 10 pts. I'm at level 19 now so at 10 exhibitions per level I'm looking at 10 * 30 = 300 exhibitions to hit 50, then another 10 games each time I want a gold pack...

I've tried online and feel like I can win games but AFAIK I only got experience that can then let me get to silver packs... At that point why risk losing online when you can blow through exhibitions pretty quickly.

You don't need gold packs to get Steph. I got him in a regular silver pack. Golds have a higher chance for legends, but you still get them in the regular packs too. There's no strategy to the cards, it's all up to chance.

modsbox

You don't need gold packs to get Steph. I got him in a regular silver pack. Golds have a higher chance for legends, but you still get them in the regular packs too. There's no strategy to the cards, it's all up to chance.

Thanks for the response. I've been having such horrible luck getting Legends on my unlocks I didn't even realize it was possible with silver packs.

Now each time when I get a pack I end up opening it to 3-4 repeats almost every time, it feels like getting a player I actually want will take forever!

Thanks for the response. I've been having such horrible luck getting Legends on my unlocks I didn't even realize it was possible with silver packs.

Now each time when I get a pack I end up opening it to 3-4 repeats almost every time, it feels like getting a player I actually want will take forever!
If you maxed out the players that are repeats that exp goes to your level. So you can progress faster by playing with those guys and Golding them.

Soi-Fong

My pairing right now is Blake Griffin and Ray Allen w/ the bucks. And once you get 3 pointer timing down, damn does Allen become a BEAST. He's decent at stealing too.

Dunks are pretty difficult in this game because of the way steals work in the AI's favor.

modsbox

My goodness, grinding for new players after winning the tournaments is rough. Now each time I get a new pack I get 4 or even 5 repeats. I guess I'll grind up to level 50 to start getting gold packs each time since it will be worth it in the end?

I'm half-tempted to start over to see if I get the Legends I want early.

Starting to hate this game as I hate the cheating AI, especially in tournament mode. Wish developers who can't do fair AI gets perma banned from making sports games.

bumpkin

Starting to hate this game as I hate the cheating AI, especially in tournament mode. Wish developers who can't do fair AI gets perma banned from making sports games.
You basically have to rain threes and spam the shit out of the steal button. Trying to beat the AI fair and square is a fool's errand.

MrBlonde

My goodness, grinding for new players after winning the tournaments is rough. Now each time I get a new pack I get 4 or even 5 repeats. I guess I'll grind up to level 50 to start getting gold packs each time since it will be worth it in the end?

I'm half-tempted to start over to see if I get the Legends I want early.
Agree... I haven't played much the last few days since I beat all the tournaments but doing exhibition games which I only did a couple barely ranks you up. I haven't tried online but I'm sure I'll hate the way people play so I might not bother. Since there are 2 other courts in exhibition mode I would love them to add 2 more tournaments and also make it a little easier somehow to get packs for people like me that can't grind for hours a day because I play other games, have a job, wife and kids.

Purexed

Banned
The cheap AI actually has an old school charm to it. Reminds me of facing Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat back in the day.

I got to the Vegas court, and the fuckery is hilarious. Perfect shots galore from every team. I'm going to sit this down on Switch until the patch hits fixing dunks and layups is issued. Missing breakaway dunks has gotten old.

modsbox

Agree... I haven't played much the last few days since I beat all the tournaments but doing exhibition games which I only did a couple barely ranks you up. I haven't tried online but I'm sure I'll hate the way people play so I might not bother. Since there are 2 other courts in exhibition mode I would love them to add 2 more tournaments and also make it a little easier somehow to get packs for people like me that can't grind for hours a day because I play other games, have a job, wife and kids.

Quite parallel to my situation. I'm literally playing this an hour or so a day at night trying to unlock Steph and Durant for my kids-- their two favorite players. I should have just started over!

As far as other ways to grind I can probably save you some time and frustration.

I tried online and also harder difficulty levels on exhibition a few days ago. Discovered that winning online only gives you the same 100 xp as winning an exhibition. At least at whatever skill level games it puts me into. I'm at level 24 now. So that's a complete waste of time for grinding as you only get 100xp when you win, you can very easily lose, and the matchmaking takes a lot of time.

Then I tried exhibition on harder difficulty levels, assuming you earn more XP winning on harder levels. Nope, same 100 xp.

So still the best way to grind is exhibition games to 10 on easy. I spent some time and managed to unlock several good new players this time, including a few Legends. I got Dirk, who is an absolute beast. So I guess this is the way to go.

One thing to point out, as you level up the amount of XP it takes you to level increases, where I'm at in the mid 20s level it seems like it's closer to 1300 xp by now.

MrBlonde

Quite parallel to my situation. I'm literally playing this an hour or so a day at night trying to unlock Steph and Durant for my kids-- their two favorite players. I should have just started over!

As far as other ways to grind I can probably save you some time and frustration.

I tried online and also harder difficulty levels on exhibition a few days ago. Discovered that winning online only gives you the same 100 xp as winning an exhibition. At least at whatever skill level games it puts me into. I'm at level 24 now. So that's a complete waste of time for grinding as you only get 100xp when you win, you can very easily lose, and the matchmaking takes a lot of time.

Then I tried exhibition on harder difficulty levels, assuming you earn more XP winning on harder levels. Nope, same 100 xp.

So still the best way to grind is exhibition games to 10 on easy. I spent some time and managed to unlock several good new players this time, including a few Legends. I got Dirk, who is an absolute beast. So I guess this is the way to go.

One thing to point out, as you level up the amount of XP it takes you to level increases, where I'm at in the mid 20s level it seems like it's closer to 1300 xp by now.

I would think online or harder / longer games would give more XP so good to know they don't, thanks.

Amongst other things, the developer recently said they are fixing the Switch version's blurriness in handheld mode.
They never give dates except "soon" but following their Twitter, this is the first time I saw them say more than that they were looking into it.

DrDogg

Winning online games gives you 3x the XP of winning exhibition matches. I can win 3 online games and level up. I haven't played in a few days, but I was above level 30 when I was doing this.

OK two questions. As of right now I have to enter exhibition mode and select new players and start a game just to change NY players. Please someone tell me there is an easier way to change your players? Also once the meter fills up to use your special how to do go about activating it? I have lost many and had to start over. It thought once it feels it activated by itself?
On PC with XB1 Controller, Select online mode, then press B to change players. (Esc if using keyboard).
I'm assuming its also B on Xb1, Circle on PS4.

Once the meter fills, a power up will activate with a time limit. If you do dirty stuff like shoving and elbowing, you will lose the powerup and deplete the meter.
List of powerups:

Ball with lightning: once you cross the halfcourt, the ball will glow. Then you can shoot anywhere and it will not miss no matter what. I hear its also unblockable but I'm not sure.
Dunk icon: Every dunk scores 4 points
Star: similar to hotspots in NBA Jam. Stand on the star and shoot and score x2, x3, x4.
12: enemy shotclock depletes quickly
3Pt: every 3 scores 6pts
shoe icon: speed boost / infinite stamina

Switch version anyone?

Switch version is fine. No online yet. It also needs a couple of gameplay patches to get this game where it needs to be. Rebounding is bad, off center shots are terrible, layups are bad, etc. I expect a gameplay patch by the end of May. Its good game, could be great. But they needed a little more dev time. But I understand the NBA wanted it out during the playoffs.

Top Bottom