• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC's Community Official Thread - the next Arrested Development/Office/30 Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
effingvic said:
I never understood why that was funny. Is it just the absurdity of it or something? Or did I miss something about it in an earlier episode?

Poor Leonard. Is her really that senile, or do the people just not give him his due? That's why it's funny to me

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Both 'Team Annie' and 'Team Baggle' are disgusting offsprings of this show that should be ashamed of themselves.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
noisome07 said:
EatChildren
Will Suck Cock While Team Britta Watches

Cant hear you. No-one can hear you.

OnPoint

It was going to happen sooner or later. They've been building up to the
Jeff - Annie connection
for a while. Still was a great episode in a season that finished so much better than it started.

Solo said:
Hrmmm....I thought that was the weakest episode of the season. On the up side, this episode proved, once again (like every other episode has since the pilot), two things: that Troy is unequivocally the best thing about the show, and that Team Britta is the only team worth talking about.

Pretty much. Troy's giant cookie was hysterical.

Jayge

Saw Donald Glover at Comix in NYC tonight.

He's fucking unbelievable.

The first thing he said was "Who here watches Community?" pretty much the whole room clapped in response and he went on with "this ain't gonna be anything like that. I'm gonna be talking about dicks and pussies and shit all night long."

He then performed one of the most hysterical hour-long sets of comedy I've ever seen in my entire life. Motherfucker is one of the funniest human beings on this planet.

God damn.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jayge said:
Saw Donald Glover at Comix in NYC tonight.

He's fucking unbelievable.

The first thing he said was "Who here watches Community?" pretty much the whole room clapped in response and he went on with "this ain't gonna be anything like that. I'm gonna be talking about dicks and pussies and shit all night long."

He then performed one of the most hysterical hour-long sets of comedy I've ever seen in my entire life. Motherfucker is one of the funniest human beings on this planet.

God damn.

Awesome!

Probably almost as sweet as when I saw Dave Coulier a couple of months ago. :D

legend166

Hopefully they completely ignore the Annie/Jeff thing next season, Seinfeld style.

Because if there's one thing Seinfeld has taught us, you don't need forced romantic plots between the male and female leads to make an amazing sitcom. It's why it was so great.

Hopefully Community follows the same path.

Shaneus

IMO, the kiss meant nothing. Jeff's fucked several different women on the show and most of them didn't impact future episodes at all (see: Pierce's stepdaughter). It's a non-event.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
EatChildren said:
Finale was mostly very good and very funny but the ending was shit and cemented the problem I have with Community and its total lack of any worthwhile seasonal story arc.

Jeff + girls is not interesting unless its a joke, nor does it have any substantial build-up. Its why the Annie kiss from the debate episode was ignored in nearly every following episode. Its why the hot professor was more of a item to use for jokes rather than an interseting story. Its why Britta and Jeff hooking up took place in the silliest, most outlandish episode and was ignored in the episode that followed.

Jeff's relationships, or any real relationships, are really not very interesting when they're taken seriously. Especially so when there's no build-up.

Sorry team-Annie. Trying to climax a story that barely existed to begin with just doesnt work.

Still, very funny, and I look forward to season 2.
I just watched the finale and i agree with everything you said. The lack of continuity is my prime complaint about the show at this point. (and it's the main reason why the show will never ever compare to AD) They are certain episodes that show growth in the characters, but they seem to be largely ignored in favor of zany antics, like most of the second half of season 1.

Aske

Lafiel said:
I just watched the finale and i agree with everything you said. The lack of continuity is my prime complaint about the show at this point. (and it's the main reason why the show will never ever compare to AD) They are certain episodes that show growth in the characters, but they seem to be largely ignored in favor of zany antics, like most of the second half of season 1.

I like that about the show. Not that I object to plot development and character growth, but I'd much rather see it occur along less typical paths, a la AD. Señor Chang's story arc, Abed's social eccentricities, Pierce's attempts to reconnect with a culture that left him behind...these themes were dramatic without becoming clichéd, and managed to be extremely meaningful without having to sacrifice laughs for those tired old 'but let's be serious for a minute' sitcom moments. Community has had many moments that were surprisingly profound, but they never come at the expense of mood, pacing or humour.

I hate the way that almost every sitcom - no matter how off-the-wall - shoehorns in elements of trite romantic comedy, as if it needs the occasional hit of chick-flick in order to keep going. 30 Rock's worst moments are the serious parts, and in my opinion they're the show's only major weakness. Sometimes they're integrated successfully, but they're generally a series of wild emotional and stylistic departures from the the rest of the show. This is one of the many reasons I love AD, Seinfeld, Curb, and Sunny; and one of my favourite things about Community is the fact that its small incursions into rom-com territory are almost always short-lived and ultimately irrelevant to the tone of the show and the meat of its plot. As others have said, you can do great relationship comedy without getting bogged down in the same old schtick.

Shaneus

Has there been any word on a DVD/BR release for this yet? I'll happily import (being in AU) if I knew when it was happening!

Costanza

Banned
tumblr_l31wfaKCm81qarumno1_400.jpg

EatChildren

I'd probably have sex with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom