• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nebraska State Senator calls police 'my ISIS', Conservatives mad, apology nil

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, before we dive into this, you should know a thing or two about the Senator in question, Ernie Chambers.

Ernie-Chambers.jpg

Chambers (an arguably liberal independent from mostly black North Omaha in the officially non-partisan, but de facto Republican, Nebraska Unicameral) is one of only two black state senators in Nebraska, is longest-serving state senator in the history of Nebraska (40 years almost entirely in one go), wears blue jeans and t-shirts when in the Legislature, and is incredibly vocal about the rights and treatment of the poor and minorities. He has a history of pissing off his white conservative colleagues and generally not giving a damn. He's sued God, knows how to debate, and has been called "the Maverick of Omaha" and "the angriest black man in Nebraska."

So, that intro over, let's get into it.

LINCOLN — State Sen. Ernie Chambers touched off a firestorm of criticism Wednesday after comments surfaced in which he compared police officers to the terrorist group that has beheaded American journalists and other captives during its violent takeover of parts of Syria and Iraq.

During a public hearing Friday about a bill involving concealed handguns, Chambers said residents of his north Omaha district were more in fear of police than of extremist groups such as the Islamic State.

“My ISIS is the police. Nobody from ISIS ever terrorized us as a people as the police do us daily. And they get away with it,” the African-American senator said, using an acronym for the militant group.

His comments, picked up Wednesday by Fox News, drew a rebuke from fellow State Sen. Beau McCoy of Omaha, who called them “appalling.” “I think Senator Chambers owes those who wear the uniform of law enforcement an apology,” McCoy said on the floor of the Legislature.

Later Wednesday, Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer and Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson joined in, condemning the senator in separate press releases. "The senator should be looking for ways to improve public safety instead of comparing police officers to terrorists," Stothert said. Schmaderer called Chambers’ comments "unbecoming of a state senator." Peterson said the senator’s comments were "the most offensive statement I have ever heard made by a public official.

On Thursday, Gov. Pete Ricketts also called on Chambers to issue a public apology.
"As public officials, we are held to a higher standard, and we should be. No one should ever suggest the use of violence against law enforcement officials," the governor said in a statement.

Chambers, in an interview with The World-Herald and later on the floor of the Legislature, stood his ground, calling on McCoy and other critics to listen to the entire recording of the committee’s hearing to “hear what I actually said.” “I will continue strongly and vociferously to criticize police,” Chambers said. “I will continue to condemn the police when they are wrong. And in my community, they are wrong.”

Sen. Les Seiler of Hastings, who presided over the committee hearing in which the original comments were made, said he didn’t find them alarming. “I don’t think it was anything other than Ernie being Ernie,” said Seiler, chairman of the Legislature’s Judiciary Committee.

The firestorm erupted Wednesday morning, when McCoy took to the floor of the Legislature to note that Fox News was talking about Nebraska “and not in a flattering light.” By afternoon, the mayor and police chief had weighed in. Even before that, Chambers said, his legislative office had fielded several ugly phone calls criticizing him.

Chambers made the remarks, based on a recorded transcript of the hearing, during an exchange with Bellevue Sen. Tommy Garrett as Garrett made his closing statement about Legislative Bill 635, his bill to allow concealed handguns in bars and restaurants that sell liquor.

Chambers asked Garrett what patrons were so afraid of that they needed to carry concealed weapons into such establishments. Garrett responded that people are insecure about crime and the radicalized “world situation.” Garrett said, “You were making a very good point earlier about ISIS and ISIL and the Taliban.” Chambers replied, “My ISIS is the police.”

Chambers, who has frequently criticized Omaha police, then criticized Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine for not prosecuting an Omaha police officer, Alvin Lugod, in connection with the Feb. 23 fatal shooting of a robbery suspect, Danny Elrod. Chambers also spoke of the “injustice” in other police-related shootings. “My home isn’t threatened by ISIS. It’s threated by the police,” he said. “The police are licensed to kill us. Children. Old people.”

Chambers, 77, said that he didn’t have a gun and wasn’t “a man of violence,” but said that if he were, he would use the weapon for protection against the police. “I would want to shoot him first and ask questions later, as they say the cop ought to do,” he said.

The comments were first publicized by a talk show Friday on Lincoln radio station KFOR. That spawned a story by Nebraska Watchdog, which was picked up by Fox News. Then the story was cited by McCoy, a Republican who has often clashed with Chambers, a registered independent. McCoy said the gun violence plaguing Chambers’ district is “tragic” but should not be compared to the atrocities committed by the Islamic State, often called by the acronyms ISIS or ISIL.

Said Stothert, “Why would any elected official state if he had a gun he would shoot a police officer? ... He owes an apology not only to Omaha police officers but to every citizen of Omaha.” Chambers was off the floor when McCoy spoke. But later he defended his comments and said they were in the context of criticizing the lack of prosecution of Officer Lugod. The officer resigned Tuesday.

Danielle Savington of Papillion, an attorney and part-time waitress who attended Friday’s hearing, said Chambers’ comments were not “smart” but were “twisted” out of context.
“I know from past experience that Senator Chambers gets riled up,” said Savington, who opposes allowing concealed guns in restaurants.

Garrett did not respond immediately to a phone message, but during Friday’s hearing he did not object to Chambers’ comments. Garrett did say the vast majority of police officers were not “bad apples.”

Chambers attributed the dust-up to McCoy’s feeling “stung” by Chambers’ criticism that McCoy used his legislative post to gain a new job. McCoy was recently hired by Charles Herbster, a Falls City, Nebraska, businessman who bankrolled McCoy’s unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign last year.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/...cle_85748588-8f0a-5196-a97c-afb16b0a4678.html

The transcript of the debate in question:

SENATOR CHAMBERS: Senator, I have to ask you this question. What are they afraid of? Before they could carry these concealed weapons, obviously, nobody killed them, nobody shot them, and now that they can carry these guns, they're afraid of every...you tell me, since you're one of the advocates, what are they afraid of?

SENATOR GARRETT: Well, I think you were making a very good point earlier about ISIS and ISIL and the Taliban and the way the world situation is now and so many Americans becoming radicalized. As as much violence as is going on, everybody has a personal feeling of insecurity or security and...

[...]

This change would allow them to be in an establishment that...they still could not consume alcohol. But like I say, so many eating establishments derive so much of their profit from the sale of alcohol that it prohibits a concealed permitholder from going in many establishments, let's say, a Buffalo Wild Wings, where there...

SENATOR CHAMBERS: Well, what would the person be carrying a gun in there for?

SENATOR GARRETT: For the same reason that they would feel that they needed it to begin with.

SENATOR CHAMBERS: So it's a part of their cloak, their outfit? The put on their coat and then they put the gun in?

SENATOR GARRETT: There are many individuals that are like that. Again, as you mentioned, I'm still...my company does...I still have a security clearance, and I personally feel that it is coming. There are a lot of atrocities that are happening and it's a high-threat world out there. And again, I'd be absolutely mortified carrying a concealed weapon, but at the same time, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it and...

SENATOR CHAMBERS: There's some scary people in this...I probably get more threats than everybody, at least in this room, put together. I don't carry any weapon anywhere. I don't want a weapon. I think Americans have become the most frightened people on the face of this earth. Rural people are the ones who often come out here and tell us, we've got to be able to have guns in the schools because the police are not close by. Well, the only ones in their area are their neighbors and each other. On the one hand, they want to talk about how they help each other, they get along so well, but all of them want to carry guns. I don't mean every individual, but they...it's not persuasive to me. And before they had the right to carry all these concealed weapons, they were not getting shot down in their streets, they were not getting shot between their house and their pickup truck, they were not getting shot off their tractors or their combines, yet they want to carry guns everywhere they go. And to me, it indicates a lack of a feeling of manhood and the gun is not an extension of a person. The person becomes an extension of the gun. And without the gun, he feels insecure, he's frightened, he thinks people are going to hurt him. And I would hate to live like that. But by the same token, a scared person is the last one who ought to have a weapon, and I just can't see, Senator, why people need to carry these guns into these liquor establishments. And what you've indicated is that you'd like to see it happen, but I don't think you've made a compelling justification for it.

You can watch and listen to the entire bill hearing it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsmNKpSYHAQ

Thoughts? Was he in the right? Just poorly worded? Should he apologize?

Mock, shock, and lock if old.

Beartruck

"SENATOR CHAMBERS: There's some scary people in this...I probably get more threats than everybody, at least in this room, put together. I don't carry any weapon anywhere. I don't want a weapon. I think Americans have become the most frightened people on the face of this earth. Rural people are the ones who often come out here and tell us, we've got to be able to have guns in the schools because the police are not close by. Well, the only ones in their area are their neighbors and each other. On the one hand, they want to talk about how they help each other, they get along so well, but all of them want to carry guns. I don't mean every individual, but they...it's not persuasive to me. And before they had the right to carry all these concealed weapons, they were not getting shot down in their streets, they were not getting shot between their house and their pickup truck, they were not getting shot off their tractors or their combines, yet they want to carry guns everywhere they go. And to me, it indicates a lack of a feeling of manhood and the gun is not an extension of a person. The person becomes an extension of the gun. And without the gun, he feels insecure, he's frightened, he thinks people are going to hurt him. And I would hate to live like that. But by the same token, a scared person is the last one who ought to have a weapon, and I just can't see, Senator, why people need to carry these guns into these liquor establishments. And what you've indicated is that you'd like to see it happen, but I don't think you've made a compelling justification for it."

Amazing quote.

diaspora

SENATOR CHAMBERS: There's some scary people in this...I probably get more threats than everybody, at least in this room, put together. I don't carry any weapon anywhere. I don't want a weapon. I think Americans have become the most frightened people on the face of this earth. Rural people are the ones who often come out here and tell us, we've got to be able to have guns in the schools because the police are not close by. Well, the only ones in their area are their neighbors and each other. On the one hand, they want to talk about how they help each other, they get along so well, but all of them want to carry guns. I don't mean every individual, but they...it's not persuasive to me. And before they had the right to carry all these concealed weapons, they were not getting shot down in their streets, they were not getting shot between their house and their pickup truck, they were not getting shot off their tractors or their combines, yet they want to carry guns everywhere they go. And to me, it indicates a lack of a feeling of manhood and the gun is not an extension of a person. The person becomes an extension of the gun. And without the gun, he feels insecure, he's frightened, he thinks people are going to hurt him. And I would hate to live like that. But by the same token, a scared person is the last one who ought to have a weapon, and I just can't see, Senator, why people need to carry these guns into these liquor establishments. And what you've indicated is that you'd like to see it happen, but I don't think you've made a compelling justification for it.

This is great.

Incidentally, I don't think he's saying that the police are ISIS or is even comparing them in severity and barbarism but is just saying that the police are a bigger threat to him than ISIS and to that point he's probably right.

Hale-XF11

Well, when you consider how many people (mainly minorities) they terrorize and kill on a regular basis, that's a pretty fair comparison. Our history with SWAT teams alone proves this. Nobody in America is scared that ISIS will come bashing down their doors at 3:00am, throwing in flash grenades and shooting up the place.

stufte

This is great.

Incidentally, I don't think he's saying that the police are ISIS or is even comparing them in severity and barbarism but is just saying that the police are a bigger threat to him than ISIS and to that point he's probably right.

That's my thought as well. I got bigger problems than ISIS in my life, most everyone in this country has larger problems than ISIS.

Palmer_v1

There have definitely been incidents in Omaha that relate to what he's saying. One of the most recent and relatively infamous ones was this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/omaha-police-video-brutality_n_2949927.html?

I can understand his comparison. The average black person in Omaha is far more likely to be negatively, and unjustly, affected by the police department, than they are by ISIS or any other international terrorist organization.

It's strange to make the comparison during a concealed carry debate, though.

Edit:

I should mention that I'm an average white guy living in one of the better parts of Omaha, and I'm not a native Nebraskan. Ernie Chambers has an almost folk hero status with a lot of people around here; white, black, or hispanic. He pulls some crazy shit sometimes, but he's usually got a great point.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its an inflammatory stance, but that's the damn point. In a vacuum I would probably think its a bit tacky, but in the context of how ISIS has been positioned as this "threat to America" I think he's absolutely spot on

I can see his point.

ISIS are a foreign bogeyman 10000 miles away that have little effect on the lives of every day joes...while this guy is dealing with violence and intolerance from the cops everyday.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have never heard of him, but he is my hero. Major props for speaking his mind and telling it how it is.

Its an inflammatory stance, but that's the damn point. In a vacuum I would probably think its a bit tacky, but in the context of how ISIS has been positioned as this "threat to America" I think he's absolutely spot on

I wouldn't even say that. Other people are making is comments inflammatory because it makes them uncomfortable and they don't like that feeling.

Klossen

Banned
How insulting to the vast majority of honest and decent police officers to be likened to brutal Islamic terrorists who rape and murder indiscriminately.

How insulting to the vast majority of honest and decent police officers to be likened to brutal Islamic terrorists who rape and murder indiscriminately.

You're right, maybe some members of the police community should stop projecting such a bad influence and then they won't be likened to that.

blackflag

"SENATOR CHAMBERS: There's some scary people in this...I probably get more threats than everybody, at least in this room, put together. I don't carry any weapon anywhere. I don't want a weapon. I think Americans have become the most frightened people on the face of this earth. Rural people are the ones who often come out here and tell us, we've got to be able to have guns in the schools because the police are not close by. Well, the only ones in their area are their neighbors and each other. On the one hand, they want to talk about how they help each other, they get along so well, but all of them want to carry guns. I don't mean every individual, but they...it's not persuasive to me. And before they had the right to carry all these concealed weapons, they were not getting shot down in their streets, they were not getting shot between their house and their pickup truck, they were not getting shot off their tractors or their combines, yet they want to carry guns everywhere they go. And to me, it indicates a lack of a feeling of manhood and the gun is not an extension of a person. The person becomes an extension of the gun. And without the gun, he feels insecure, he's frightened, he thinks people are going to hurt him. And I would hate to live like that. But by the same token, a scared person is the last one who ought to have a weapon, and I just can't see, Senator, why people need to carry these guns into these liquor establishments. And what you've indicated is that you'd like to see it happen, but I don't think you've made a compelling justification for it."

Amazing quote.

Well, he's right, and this is absolutely amazing. Can't believe I've never heard of this guy.

diaspora

What about this statement is wrong though?

Chambers said residents of his north Omaha district were more in fear of police than of extremist groups such as the Islamic State.

The Omaha police are a bigger threat to the safety of the people in his district than barbarians on another continent.

ezrarh

Amazing quote.

This is a great quote. Considering the number of black people killed by the police in the last 15 years, I'd be more afraid of the police than Al Qaeda or ISIS

Klossen

Banned
What about this statement is wrong though?

The Omaha police are a bigger threat to the safety of the people in his district than barbarians on another continent.

Remove the police force from the equation and find out just how safe those people are without it. Anarchy would break out.

slit

They don't cut heads off but the comparison is valid.

A group of people are terrorized and killed by zealots. One group kills for god, the other group thinks they ARE god.

Klossen

Banned
So the police are the only thing keeping our society from totally falling apart? Neat.

Never said that. I said that if you removed the police force from the equation, chances are those people would be in even more danger than they were before.

It's unfortunate that this kind of metaphor was needed in order to get people talking about the issue, but that's what it takes I suppose.

Still, kind of a rhetorical dead end. Basically just another form of Godwin's Law.

Still, I applaud his testicular fortitude. The only thing I really disagree with is him saying he would use a gun to indiscriminately shoot police officers that came to his house. That's kind of messed up.

Remove the police force from the equation and find out just how safe those people are without it. Anarchy would break out.

Those aren't the only two options, though. It's not a choice between "the current police force" and "no police force at all." I think most people are advocating for simple "a better police force."

diaspora

That doesn't contradict Chambers' point though. Law enforcement arguably stops or at least catches killers, yes, and they can also at the same time be a great threat to public safety in both their aggression and lack of accountability. Civilian lawbreakers are held accountable by the Omaha police, part of what makes the latter a terror is that there doesn't appear to be much holding the Omaha police accountable.

J10

Banned

But nobody really wants to remove police from the equation. They want police to behave justly. There is mountains of data that tells us they're not.

Klossen

Banned
Those aren't the only two options, though. It's not a choice between "the current police force" and "no police force at all." I think most people are advocating for simple "a better police force."

And is likening the police force to Islamic terrorists the best way to create a better police force? Sounds like the perfect way to drive an even deeper wedge between communities.

Disregarding the total inanity of this statement, I'm not even sure how you jumped to the conclusion that he was advocating for a complete removal of the police in the first place.

And is likening the police force to Islamic terrorists the best way to create a better police force? Sounds like the perfect way to drive an even deeper wedge between communities.

It's not a direct comparison. He's answering the question of "who is more immediately threatening to my community?" The police is the correct answer to that question.

diaspora

Likening them to ISIS highlights the terror the people have of the Omaha PD in their demonstrated ability to kill civilians with no accountability. They are, and have been proven to be, a greater threat to the community than ISIS.

Enzom21

As it has been pointed out here, he was saying he is more afraid of police than he is of ISIS. Do you think that as a black man in this country that is a ridiculous statement to make or is it completely spot on?

Klossen

Banned
Disregarding the total inanity of this statement, I'm not even sure how you jumped to the conclusion that he was advocating for a complete removal of the police in the first place.
Well, if he's going to liken the police force to ISIS, then the natural assumption would be that he wants them gone. Why else paint them as madmen gone haywire?

Show me your in depth research please. Oh that's right, you haven't done any.
There are yet to be done any studies on how an under-privileged community fares after removing the police force because nobody is crazy enough to do that.

It's not a direct comparison. He's answering the question of "who is more immediately threatening to my community?" The police is the correct answer to that question.

Again, completely disregards all the GOOD work that the police force is doing, which for some reason, everyone tends to ignore. Those murderers and rapists don't go to prison willingly, trust me.

Quixzlizx

Would he feel about as safe living in an ISIS-controlled area of Iraq? That would be the apples-to-apples comparison. I'm guessing that white Americans are also more likely to be killed by a police officer than by ISIS unless they decide to go backpacking through Syria.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Hmm - the vast majority of honest and decent police officers need to do a better job of rooting out the ones that aren't such, and yet they system from top to bottom is rotten and doesn't allow for this.

How can they be honest and decent when they condone the systematic and repeated abuse of the civilian population?

Amazing quote.

Too much truth. I can't handle it.

JesseZao

Classic Ernie. He has no reason to apologize. It truly bothers me that so many people want to carry guns with them.

Well, if he's going to liken the police force to ISIS, then the natural assumption would be that he wants them gone. Why else paint them as madmen gone haywire?
Because it's an apt description. I don't know what else you would call a group of people that murder other people for no reason, and then systematically cover it up.

And he does want the people gone. That doesn't mean he doesn't want a new, reputable police force in it's place.

Again, completely disregards all the GOOD work that the police force is doing, which for some reason, everyone tends to ignore. Those murderers and rapists don't go to prison willingly, trust me.

If those good police officers were doing their jobs properly, there wouldn't be any fear of police officers because all the bad ones would be rooted out.

But, they're not. And that's why people (particularly minorities) fear police in general.

That's a rather large leap from critiquing something to desiring that something completely removed from existence.

His argument is that the police force in his area is a greater threat to the well-being of his people than ISIS is. Whether or not it's a dramatic statement, it's one that I'm willing to believe. Further, it's one that I'm sure many people share, both because of how little ISIS seems to effect our everyday lives, and how frequently people get killed by the police.

Regardless, it shouldn't be the job of the people to tiptoe around the feelings of the police force. They're supposed to serve us. They're supposed to be accountable to us. I'm having a hard time thinking of any segment of our population that would deserve harsher scrutiny than the police. They're a militarized force that watches over all of us, and is capable of doing great harm if their power is abused. They're exclusively able to dole out punishment, including bodily harm and death. Even if this abuse is infrequent, the potential harm is so great that they should always be prepared for their methods and effects to be criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom