• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nebraska State Senator calls police 'my ISIS', Conservatives mad, apology nil

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
However, he would be more apt to compare the notion to local gangs/groups who squash individuals from coming to the police for help. Where groups use fear, intimidation, shame, and even violence against those who attempt to go to the police. We see it frequently when witnesses fail to provide testimony/statements out of fear of reprisal.
Wait, are we still talking about cops committing crimes?

Some groups, however, due to their culture (I've noticed it a lot with Eastern Europeans) will handle crime on their own terms without the police intervention.
Historically, there's a good reason for this.

Bringing their law enforcement authorities into a dispute made things worse for everyone but the authorities.

Who kills more Americans, the police or ISIS?

My exact thought.
I wish you would wake up black in a city where cops prey on you and yours tomorrow. I love how you have empathy for Hideo Kojima's position, but not minorities.

Fuck outta here.

And shame on the people who are merely looking at his comparison as too extreme and then dismissing it. That's missing the entire point. We know what ISIS is. What are fucking cops supposed to do? If they were doing their jobs right in these different areas of the U.S., this comparison wouldn't even exist.

He's not wrong.
MONICA.

Siegcram

Nah, it's still a poor comment, especially by a state senator. It doesn't really matter that he's not affected by ISIS unlike how he's been affected by the police force the past decades. Again, he probably has felt police brutality, discrimination throughout the decades, but to liken them to perhaps the most brutal terror organization of the last 50 years? Maybe it's just me, but I dislike when people use things like comparisons to Nazi's, dictators, butchers to describe situations that are not the same. Hundreds are being abducted, raped, killed, beheaded, everyday by ISIS. It's not the same.

And yeah, that concealed carry into bars/restaurants guy should get his head on straight too. Pretty dumb to say you need your gun at a bar because of ISIS.
Comparisons may extend beyond a literal side-by-side. To anyone who reads past the headline it's perfectly clear what he meant and the statement is fine.

Akainu

Is it sad that I reading through the first page and wondering, "where's Patrol?" Got to this pretty late.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Chambers says.

oneils

Who am I to say this dude is wrong? He could be right I would never know. I could never really walk a mile in his shoes. Could he couch his language better? Maybe, but it looks like he's had enough.

I'm convinced that SWATing isn't taken as seriously as it should be simply because that would require some acknowledgement that police are threats to the public.

That's one way to look at it, the other is that you're living in a police state and attempting to challenge that will not well for anyone who dares to try it...

I look at how the mayor of New York was treated by the cops after his comments and if they are willing to basically threaten and disrespect someone in that position of authority, I can only imagine how far they'd be willing to go against the person who doesn't have as public a voice...

Dali

I don't think the terrorist comparison was off base but yeah he shouldn't have suggested people shoot cops. He's the one in power capable of actually trying to make positive change. He's only hampering that effort and tying his own hands. He should be introducing legislation that makes it harder for these thugs to get away with shit.

FStop7

Banned
His point, when distilled down to a one sentence sound bite, sounds ridiculous and insulting. Of course when you read the entire article, and get the context, it's much stronger.

But in a world of sound bites and gotcha journalism, that's what we'll end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom