• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nebraska State Senator calls police 'my ISIS', Conservatives mad, apology nil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's a nice way to say this: anyone who thinks that this man is saying "Omaha Police are as bad as ISIS period," needs to get better at reading comprehension. The implication is clearly that the threat posed by ISIS to black communities is comparatively lower than the threat posed to them by police.

I mean, sure, are earthquakes worse than extreme cold? Of course they are! But, living in Minnesota, I'm more scared of extreme cold because it's far more likely to pose a danger to my daily life than earthquakes. It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand.

Merc_

It's true that I do hate cops. I think that's OK though. What can they do about it besides kill me on tape and get away with it?

It really is amazing that folks think that black folks hating cops is anywhere on par with the police's ability to murder us on tape and walk away from it.

Ganhyun

It's not a few bad apples. It's the entire institution. It's origins in this country are rooted in systematic oppression. This really can't be disputed.

It's true that I do hate cops. I think that's OK though. What can they do about it besides kill me on tape and get away with it?

At least you admit you straight up hate cops. I hate bad cops. I think there needs to be reform and bad cops removed.

Ok, what's your point here?

My point is I was asked to show examples of snark, because since I posted there was snark and virtriol, people said prove it. So I did.

I don't think there's a nice way to say this: anyone who thinks that this man is saying "Omaha Police are as bad as ISIS period," needs to get better at reading comprehension. The implication is clearly that the threat posed by ISIS to black communities is comparatively lower than the threat posed to them by police.

I mean, sure, are earthquakes worse than extreme cold? Of course they are! But, living in Minnesota, I'm more scared of extreme cold because it's far more likely to pose a danger to my daily life than earthquakes. It's really not that difficult of a concept to understand.

I already admitted he probably meant more than what he said at the start. I dont find it hard to see several others seeing the same statement and seeing the same comparison.

Yep. I told him that reading comprehension was essential twice so let's hope he takes the advice. There is always room for improvement, so I have hope that he will do better in the future! Thank you for this wonderful post.

Thanks for continuing to attack me man. Feels nice.

I think he thinks that shitting on cops is just as offensive as shitting on women or minorities. It's a silly notion.
Another attack. Thanks.

It really is amazing that folks think that black folks hating cops is anywhere on par with the police's ability to murder us on tape and walk away from it.

I never said that. Thanks for implying I did though.

Ok guys, Im out. Since the guy who actually supported the police and no reform for them left, you guys decided to jump on me because Im not in the hate all police circle jerk.

Obviously one cannot advocate not being total assholes/dicks/pricks/ to someone and also respectfully disagree on how a statement can be taken without being attacked here.

If I wanted this level of complete and utter disregard for basic human decency I'd have went to 4Chan or such for my forum posting.

slit

Me saying it's a silly notion is not an attack. Nobody is that goddamn sensitive.

Yeah well the police defense force just like the police are martyrs in all this. We're being mean and picking on them. We're not allowed to disparage the police because they don't all go out and abuse their authority and they don't all murder people. They just stay silent on the issue through a blue wall and we're not supposed to point that out.

Patrol

Banned
He's entitled to his polarizing opinion, but using hyperbolic/sensationalist commentary doesn't push any quality mantra forward. I will say that it's an interesting notion, to equate/measure fear of a local policing entity to a more external and grotesquely violent organization. Americans, and the world, can express fear in such an entity but it doesn't directly have any bearing on their individual lives. ISIS murdering, slaughtering thousands, raping and pillaging across the world means very little to the average American in the urban city, or suburbs. Again, the context here is a measure of fear and not exactly action. I'm not saying his opinion is right, mind you, but I don't think he's rightly comparing ISIS' actions to police actions. That would be silly beyond measure.

However, he would be more apt to compare the notion to local gangs/groups who squash individuals from coming to the police for help. Where groups use fear, intimidation, shame, and even violence against those who attempt to go to the police. We see it frequently when witnesses fail to provide testimony/statements out of fear of reprisal. Some groups, however, due to their culture (I've noticed it a lot with Eastern Europeans) will handle crime on their own terms without the police intervention.

J10

Banned
Honestly, don't come into a thread like this if all you're gonna do is ask why people are being mean to police. If you're not prepared to actually argue and discuss, stay the fuck out instead of pleading for kindness and then running away with your tail between your legs because you've realized nobody gives a fuck about your delicate sensibility.

JDSN

Banned
You all need to watch your tone while getting shot by the police, otherwise im not gonna be able to relate.

I comprehend what the quote I quoted said.

What is ISIS to the American public? A Terrorist group known to do things such as cut off peoples heads and mass killings.

He said
My ISIS is the police.

I agreed with Felix earlier that he is likely right in that he did not mean for it to come out that way. However, the fact is he did say it that way. That sentence right there, equates the local police to ISIS.

I agree that he likely did not mean it the way it sounded. But thats how it sounded.

I don't mean to single you out, but I see a lot of people overlooking one key part in the OP

Chambers asked Garrett what patrons were so afraid of that they needed to carry concealed weapons into such establishments. Garrett responded that people are insecure about crime and the radicalized “world situation.” Garrett said, “You were making a very good point earlier about ISIS and ISIL and the Taliban.” Chambers replied, “My ISIS is the police.”

Sen. Garrett stated that people needed to carry weapons into certain restaurants and stores because they fear crime and the radicalized "world situation," which can be interpreted as ISIS. We needed guns because we fear criminals and ISIS. His response is that he doesn't fear ISIS. “My ISIS is the police." That is what he fears. That is the only analogy or connection that can be made here.

That's a loaded question because the answer will never be good enough for people outside of "we've fired the entire police force and any wrong doing now means automatic prison sentences."

Police organizations are now discussing cameras and they're being trialed in various areas. We have more politicians speaking out against this due to public concern. The police force landscape won't change over night but slowly. The sad, hard reality people have to understand (but don't necessarily have to accept) is these brutalities are going to be around 10 years from now. Change always has opposition.

cameras won't matter.

TheJLC

Lol at the whole "Police have killed more black people in the US than ISIS has." No shit, ISIS hasn't taken over the US.

Anyways, I understand what he is saying and honestly the perception of police by black people has to change. That will only change in a switch of strategies and policies by the federal government and states. He sees the police as a threat to him and his community more than ISIS, that needs to be fixed.

However, I also see the comparing of Police to ISIS as counter productive. He's only hurting any cause by comparing those that protect and serve with a terrorist organization the US is currently fighting and seeking to rally against. Law enforcement is never going to be worse than a terrorist group that actively seeks to mass murder, attack, and fight against the United States. So saying Police are "my ISIS" is only going to raise eyebrows.

Again, completely disregards all the GOOD work that the police force is doing, which for some reason, everyone tends to ignore. Those murderers and rapists don't go to prison willingly, trust me.

The police need to acknowledge the perversions of power and violence that a percentage of them commit before we need to acknowledge the good they do. There's no questioning the need for police, but they're getting out of control and it can't be ignored.

Lol at the whole "Police have killed more black people in the US than ISIS has." No shit, ISIS hasn't taken over the US.

Anyways, I understand what he is saying and honestly the perception of police by black people has to change. That will only change in a switch of strategies and policies by the federal government and states. He sees the police as a threat to him and his community more than ISIS, that needs to be fixed.

However, I also see the comparing of Police to ISIS as counter productive. He's only hurting any cause by comparing those that protect and serve with a terrorist organization the US is currently fighting and seeking to rally against. Law enforcement is never going to be worse than a terrorist group that actively seeks to mass murder, attack, and fight against the United States. So saying Police are "my ISIS" is only going to raise eyebrows.

It raises eyebrows when people say "Racists have inflitrated positions of power, including law enforcement, and are using those positions of power to continue abusing black folks and advancing white supremacy" too, despite there being proof of that, recent proof.

I'm getting tired of people coming in and talking about how his statements or statements like it that would be considered "controversial" aren't helping. Neither are prayer vigils, neither are statistics, neither is protesting, neither are DoJ reports.

"It won't help your cause!" Nothing has, and this 77 year old man is more aware of that than you, or me, or any other drive-by poster here who's feelings have been hurt on behalf of a damn near untouchable organization.

I think he thinks that shitting on cops is just as offensive as shitting on women or minorities. It's a silly notion.

Pretty much, the good cops suffer counter-argument is nullified by the objective fact that all these beating and killings aren't bought to public eye from the other cops turning the bad ones in. Can't use that argument to not critique the cops imo.

Rembrandt

Banned

I consider you, a random stranger on the internet, more of a threat to me than ISIS. So yeah, in the US, the police are a bigger threat to me than ISIS because they actively murder, attack and fight us.

Damn y'all really hate the police. Can't say I agree with the man's opinion but whatevs.
I don't hate the police. But I also can't deny the fact that for a certain class of people in this country, the police are a much more substantial threat to daily livelihood than the likes of ISIS will ever be.

Rembrandt

Banned
Damn y'all really hate the police. Can't say I agree with the man's opinion but whatevs.

I used to be a guy who always tried to be tolerant and sympathetic to minorities. Don't want to go into details but subsequent life experiences have kinda soured me on that front. I don't wish anyone harm I just don't really care anymore.

Out of curiosity how is Blackface supposed to be offensive?

Fuck you.

edit: risking a ban, but you're seriously a piece of shit, regardless of whatever life experiences you had. the fact you post stupid shit like that like it's something to be proud of and then come to specific topics to post what you do is annoying. You deserve a tag to let everybody know to fucking avoid you and everything you post.

about-to-go-down.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
Dude I'm not even from America. That's why I asked the question. Which led me to getting banned btw.

Your point being? Who says they're not sympathetic to minorities and then goes to threads and asks why blackface is offensive? you're not mentally disabled, you know what you're doing.

Your point being? Who says they're not sympathetic to minorities and then goes to threads and asks why blackface is offensive? you're not mentally disabled, you know what you're doing.

Because the minorties I was referring to aren't African American? I've never met an African American in my life. I'm not even white ffs.

Rembrandt

Banned
Because the minorties I was referring to aren't African American? I've never met an African American in my life. I'm not even white ffs.

Yeah, I noticed your other posts where you say you have no black friends. I also noticed you have a strong dislike of muslims, so basically my point is that you're still a piece of shit. It has literally nothing to do with what race you are. You just seem incredibly intolerant towards different races in general.

Marauder Shields said:
Tbh it's not hard to see why there's been such a rise in anti-Islam sentiment in Europe. Might be for the best if these Muslims stick to their own counties if they're not willing to assimilate.

Seriously. How are you still around? You consistently say shit like this, too.

Oh wow now you're trying to get me banned because I stated that I disagreed with the Senator's statement. Whatever, I'll leave you to your echo chamber.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Dude I'm not even from America. That's why I asked the question. Which led me to getting banned btw.

But you seem to be perfectly fine coming in here condemning minorities for their feelings toward the police in the U.S. How does that work?

Rembrandt

Banned
Oh wow now you're trying to get me banned because I stated that I disagreed with the Senator's statement. Whatever, I'll leave you to your echo chamber.

tell us why you disagree then. i'm sure several of us could tell you why we hold the feelings we do towards the police, but are you even willing to tell us why you hold the stance you do?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm convinced that SWATing isn't taken as seriously as it should be simply because that would require some acknowledgement that police are threats to the public.

Madness

Yes he's wrong and it's a dumb comment. He's likening the police to a terrorist organization, which is raping women en masse, cutting their heads off, burning them to death, killing dozens and dozens of people indiscriminately.

I completely get where he's coming from but it's a poor analogy. None of us are affected by ISIS but to draw parallels in this way is ridiculous. But hey, it achieved it's intended effect.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yes he's wrong and it's a dumb comment. He's likening the police to a terrorist organization, which is raping women en masse, cutting their heads off, burning them to death, killing dozens and dozens of people indiscriminately.

I completely get where he's coming from but it's a poor analogy. None of us are affected by ISIS but to draw parallels in this way is ridiculous. But hey, it achieved it's intended effect.
He made the remark because of this:

Chambers made the remarks, based on a recorded transcript of the hearing, during an exchange with Bellevue Sen. Tommy Garrett as Garrett made his closing statement about Legislative Bill 635, his bill to allow concealed handguns in bars and restaurants that sell liquor.

Chambers asked Garrett what patrons were so afraid of that they needed to carry concealed weapons into such establishments. Garrett responded that people are insecure about crime and the radicalized “world situation.” Garrett said, “You were making a very good point earlier about ISIS and ISIL and the Taliban.” Chambers replied, “My ISIS is the police.”
Seems completely apt to me.

Madness

He made the remark because of this:

Seems completely apt to me.

Nah, it's still a poor comment, especially by a state senator. It doesn't really matter that he's not affected by ISIS unlike how he's been affected by the police force the past decades. Again, he probably has felt police brutality, discrimination throughout the decades, but to liken them to perhaps the most brutal terror organization of the last 50 years? Maybe it's just me, but I dislike when people use things like comparisons to Nazi's, dictators, butchers to describe situations that are not the same. Hundreds are being abducted, raped, killed, beheaded, everyday by ISIS. It's not the same.

And yeah, that concealed carry into bars/restaurants guy should get his head on straight too. Pretty dumb to say you need your gun at a bar because of ISIS.

I think he could've worded it a lot better, like my ISIS is bad/corrupt police. I think this is what Chambers meant by his statement, but speaking somewhat off-the-cuff he didn't put it in quite those terms and naturally it's going to get twisted. Most police are not bad people, and they generally do provide a necessary service in society. If it weren't for the threat of police action, for example, it's quite possible a racist would've shot Chambers by now.

I'll just say if you presented me with two buttons, one of which got rid of bad police and one of which got rid of ISIS, and I could only push one, I'd push the former. Still, for all of its problems I wouldn't equate the police force to ISIS or the Gestapo or what have you.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This reminds me of a Chris Rock routine from about ten years ago:

The government keeps trying to scare us. They keep telling us to be on the lookout for Al-Qaeda. I ain't scared of Al-Qaeda! I'm from Brooklyn... I don't give a fuck about Al-Qaeda! Mother fuck Al-Qaeda. Did Al-Qaeda blow up the building in Oklahoma? No! Did Al-Qaeda put anthrax in your mail? No! Did Al-Qaeda drag James Byrd onto the street till his eyes popped out of his fuckin' head? No! I ain't scared of Al-Qaeda! I'm scared of Al-Cracka!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom