• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

oatmeal

Banned
I will likely buy, but I'm curious, how is the progression in the single payer?

Is it compelling!? Is there a story?

beje

Banned
Well, maybe with this Origin offer some publishers will finally realise it's worth releasing some games at a reduced price from the very beginning. I see this game doing much better than it initially would have at full price once the info about this offer starts spreading.

where can I find what button does what for gamepad?

I am just racing around all day trying to learn the controls not even doing the campaign races yet

I know there has to be a button that pulls up a list of races each car has but not sure which button pulls that up

I want to start knocking them out

at 195,000 speed points with 2 event all the rest was from cops and driving trying to learn the map layout

PetrCobra

where can I find what button does what for gamepad?

I am just racing around all day trying to learn the controls not even doing the campaign races yet

I know there has to be a button that pulls up a list of races each car has but not sure which button pulls that up

I want to start knocking them out

at 195,000 speed points with 2 event all the rest was from cops and driving trying to learn the map layout

ummm... I'd expect these things to be explained in the manual, is it not there?

Do you start with a shit car and move up? What's the deal here? Don't make me google please
All cars in the game (except for the 10 Most Wanted cars) are spread randomly around the world map. You have access to any and all of them as long as you can find them; when you drive up to a new car the game will record that you have found a jackspot for it and you'll be free to drive it whenever you want.

Each car has a list of events for you to compete in and complete. Each event unlocks mods for that specific car and awards you with Speedpoints.

Anything you do in the game will award you with Speedpoints, actually: breaking billboards, triggering speed cams, finding security gates, taking down your opponents in events, initiating pursuits with cops and evading them, beating your own personal best in events you've already done...

When you gather enough Speedpoints the game will let you challenge a Most Wanted driver in a special race. If you beat them and take down their car afterwards, their ride is yours. Your main objective in the game is to beat and take down all 10 Most Wanted cars.

I found the manual in the pause menu. I believe + pauses, and then the manual was an option on the right most page.
The in-game manual doesn't have a section on controls IIRC, you guys should check the Wii U manual of the game instead (press Home button on your GamePad).

Do you start with a shit car and move up? What's the deal here? Don't make me google please

There are no shit cars in this game. But naturally, the fastest cars are the most wanted cars.
By doing events, you can upgrade the cars a bit with longer turbo, better tires, stronger frame, etc. But the upgrading is very basic. Not like with the previous NFS:MW.

ThaGuy

Someone on another message board said best buy will price match origins price. Does anyone know if this is true?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I've encountered a problem with the controls. I want to steer using the Wii Remote's motion controls, but the game won't let me. (I can only steer with the control pad,wtf). I tried to turn motion controls on in the option menu, but it doesn't work. Funny thing is the motion control option does work with the Gamepad. Anyone else have this problem?

Ordered from Origin, went out to Wal-Mart to pick up a copy so I don't need to wait a week to play it. I'll just return the Origin copy to Wal-Mart when it arrives.

I'm really digging the game, but I do wish it was a little more arcadey like Burnout is. I expected it to be slightly less arcadey, so I'm not surprised at all. It's just taking me a lot of time to get used to the controls. The game seems way less forgiving with things like drifting and turning in general. I'm leaning towards heavier cars with lots of control. I'm liking the Maserati quite a bit though it isn't super fast.

Also, I really wish the alerts wouldn't pop up right in the middle of the screen. It seems like they always pop up at the worst moments. The "Entered Cooldown" message seems to always pop up in front of a lane divider or an off ramp or something that I end up running into because I couldn't see it thanks to the damn message popping up. Those messages should be appearing at the top of the screen, not in the freaking middle right in my line of sight.

And yeah, the lack of analog triggers is really bugging me. Nintendo made such a big stink about feature parity with the addition of clickable sticks, but they totally screwed the pooch by removing analog triggers.

I tried out motion control as well, on a lark, and it's actually pretty good. I don't think I'd play the game that way for extended periods of time but it is rather fun.

masud

Banned
Just took the plunge, my first full price Wii u game since launch. It says two hours for the download. We'll see...

Another thing, and this is more of a general Wii U thing. I hate that the audio is only being pushed to the GamePad if I am in remote-play mode. One of my favorite things about NSMB U is that audio is always pushed to the gamepad, so if I want to keep the house quiet I can turn my stereo system off and just plug a pair of headphones in to the GamePad and continue playing the game on my TV. But NSF only pushes audio to the GamePad in remote-play mode, and in that mode the HUD is stripped off of the TV which pretty much forces you to play on the GamePad. Very annoying.

I hope developers figure this out and always push game audio to the GamePad (unless it's being used for a specific special in-game feature).

hachi

Banned
I jumped on the Origin sale last night... had no plans to buy this game prior. I suppose even if I only play it for a few weeks, it should fetch $10 or so used credit at the least, so that's very little investment for trying this thing out for a while.

Hopefully it will deliver. I suppose I did need one graphical showcase for the system, even though that's not really my thing in general.

HoTHiTTeR

Can't wait to play it - hopefully this weekend. Picked it up @ Target for $40 in the b2g1, just buy 3 games and return 2 of them unopened. Simple as that.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Thanks for the info. You can do this in store right? I think im going to go there and buy it today if possible.

Yep. Just show them the webpage with the WiiU version for $29.99, and make sure to tell them that it is the retail version being sold. Some other Gaffers said their Best Buy wouldn't let them price match though, so I guess it depends on the store and who you are dealing with during the transaction.

Good luck!

Has anyone tried playing the game with the Wiimote's tilt controls? How easy and effective is it? I'm hoping to let my GF play this game and while she'd be willing to brave its learning curve, I'm not sure she'll be able to handle it if the Wiimote method of driving is fundamentally problematic.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Playing on the Gamepad is pretty awesome, it was well worth the $30 just for that feature alone (IMO).

Has anyone tried playing the game with the Wiimote's tilt controls? How easy and effective is it? I'm hoping to let my GF play this game and while she'd be willing to brave its learning curve, I'm not sure she'll be able to handle it if the Wiimote method of driving is fundamentally problematic.

I've been using the Gamerpad motion controls and it works pretty darn well. You use the two back triggers for acceleration/brakes and tilt to control the vehicle, so pretty self-explanatory. I haven't used the Wiimote, but I feel as if the Gamerpad would be better for motion control because of a wider grip and triggers.

pixlexic

Banned
I have a few wii u games but never seen in game miiverse alerts until this one. Is that a system wide thing or just game to game?

Top Bottom