• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

TheChits

Booted up the game and it imidiately started downloading an update. I guess it was the included dlc cause it was rather substantial. Then again I thought that was "included".

Anyway, I just played a short round. The game is quite a looker, that's for sure. Plays great and I like the ability to switch between cars and night/day on the fly. Off-tv is instant upon pressing minus. I was unable to test online since the servers are still unavaliable.

I really want to get this...argh I must resist the temptation to spend more money :(

Effect

So future DLC will be determined how well the game does.
I wonder what the projected number is they are using to call it a success.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexanderJWard/status/313042124520177664?p=v

This makes it easier now not to pick this up now. I'm not jumping through any hoops. I'm taking any "test" as in test games. If they're going to ask for full price for a Wii U version of a game I expect and demand that the Wii U version be treated the same as the other versions. That means guaranteed DLC support from day 1! Not depending on performance. That crap isn't pulled with PC versions of games and they sell significantly lower then PS3/360 versions. I'm not going to accept it happening with Wii U versions of games. Neither should anyone else.

If they want to make further support be determined on the success of initial sales then lower the damn price. I'm not putting down the same amount of money as owners of the other systems to be held to a different damn standard.

Booted up the game and it imidiately started downloading an update. I guess it was the included dlc cause it was rather substantial. Then again I thought that was "included".

Anyway, I just played a short round. The game is quite a looker, that's for sure. Plays great and I like the ability to switch between cars and night/day on the fly. Off-tv is instant upon pressing minus. I was unable to test online since the servers are still unavaliable.

Do you have the PS3/360/PC version to compare it to? Would be nice to hear if the improvements are substantials.

Alchemy

On the fence here. Racing looks good, but I disliked the open world racing aspects of Burnout Paradise. Only reason I'm considering this is for the Target B2G1 deal.

EDarkness

This makes it easier now not to pick this up now. I'm not jumping through any hoops. I'm taking any "test" as in test games. If they're going to ask for full price for a Wii U version of a game I expect and demand that the Wii U version be treated the same as the other versions. That means guaranteed DLC support from day 1! Not depending on performance. That crap isn't pulled with PC versions of games and they sell significantly lower then PS3/360 versions. I'm not going to accept it happening with Wii U versions of games. Neither should anyone else.

If they want to make further support be determined on the success of initial sales then lower the damn price. I'm not putting down the same amount of money as owners of the other systems to be held to a different damn standard.

I read this last night. It sucks that Wii U guys have to jump through so many hoops in order to get even basic support. It's silly as hell as if they don't want to support the Wii U owners fully, then I refuse to support them at all. Why should we go through these silly "test" games constantly? It crazy as hell.

Unfortunately, they already have my money, but I refuse to buy anything else from them. Think kind of thing is just frustrating and ultimately the players will be blamed for the game failing. :(

DLCs are not really important in games with a core story but a racing game where the number of cars goes up 5-15 cars with DLC and you add a huge Airport Area to race on yeah I can understand this is a huge burn

but hopefully there are more buyers out there so the fans on Wii U can still got the full treatment

When you got a Wii U you should have known about our second class citizen status in this industry
so boycott will only hurt our chances of getting the NEXT GAME not only the DLC we are pissed about

I'll buy a PS4 to avoid this shit in the future

EDarkness

DLCs are not really important in games with a core story but a racing game where the number of cars goes up 5-15 cars with DLC and you add a huge Airport Area to race on yeah I can understand this is a huge burn

but hopefully there are more buyers out there so the fans on Wii U can still got the full treatment

When you got a Wii U you should have known about our second class citizen status in this industry
so boycott will only hurt our chances of getting the NEXT GAME not only the DLC we are pissed about

I'll buy a PS4 to avoid this shit in the future

This is what irritates me about it, why even bother porting the game if they had no intention of giving players the full game? It's like this silly catch 22 BS. They won't support if people don't buy, but people don't buy because there's no support. As players we simply can't win. I'm not throwing money at them for no reason. If they want my money they need to earn it. Getting half-assed support just isn't gonna cut it. So yeah, we suffer ultimately, but really that's not our fault and we shouldn't have to feel guilty about it.

TheNatural

My Member!

I read this last night. It sucks that Wii U guys have to jump through so many hoops in order to get even basic support. It's silly as hell as if they don't want to support the Wii U owners fully, then I refuse to support them at all. Why should we go through these silly "test" games constantly? It crazy as hell.

Unfortunately, they already have my money, but I refuse to buy anything else from them. Think kind of thing is just frustrating and ultimately the players will be blamed for the game failing. :(

LOL and you wonder why third parties don't want to touch a Nintendo system with a pole. They're the ONLY company to put in the effort to improve the original game apparently. Including DLC on the disc, better textures and lighting, and some other modes - and then you say it's not even basic support and say you're never going to buy again?

@AlexanderJWard
Just a small team working on the game. Just getting it out was a lot of work.

Sounds like they were only given so much resources with a small team to even get it out. Much less work on DLC packs that maybe a dozen people would buy.

But go ahead, you guys keep nitpicking and shooting yourself in the foot. When there's only 2 decent third party games a year coming out for Wii U, you'll know why.

EDarkness

LOL and you wonder why third parties don't want to touch a Nintendo system with a pole. They're the ONLY company to put in the effort to improve the original game apparently. Including DLC on the disc, better textures and lighting, and some other modes - and then you say it's not even basic support and say you're never going to buy again?

@AlexanderJWard
Just a small team working on the game. Just getting it out was a lot of work.

Sounds like they were only given so much resources with a small team to even get it out. Much less work on DLC packs that maybe a dozen people would buy.

But go ahead, you guys keep nitpicking and shooting yourself in the foot. When there's only 2 decent third party games a year coming out for Wii U, you'll know why.

How the hell is this nitpicking? Every other version is getting ALL of the game, while the Wii U version isn't? You're saying that Wii U owners should have to work doubly hard (buying the game in mass quantities) for the CHANCE at getting more support? That's crazy as hell. Xbox owners aren't. PS3 owners aren't. Same with PC users. Regardless of how much work they put into the game, it's still missing features and maybe, just maybe Wii U owners want those extra cars, or that airport to run around in. If a person buys the Wii U version, then they're not getting those things.

It's NOT and I repeat NOT our responsibility to give these guys money for half supported ports. If they want our money then they have to earn it. If they weren't going to give Wii U owners the full game with ALL content, then they shouldn't have bothered porting in the first place.

Here's the thing, a customer who's in the store thinking about which version to buy would most likely pass on the Wii U version because it doesn't have those extra cars and can't get them either. For a game where the main drive of the game is to drive different cars around, missing cars doesn't help their case for the Wii U version. It'd be better and cheaper to get the Xbox 360/PS3 version and at least they would get the whole game. The little extra they added to the Wii U version doesn't justify not getting more cars. And basing this on sales of the game where it's gimped from the get-go doesn't help. Then they'll blame the customers for not buying their game. There will be some people who will pick up the Wii U version over the others, but like Mass Effect 3, they'll look over the other versions and simply skip the Wii U version for lacking key features.

This is what irritates me about it, why even bother porting the game if they had no intention of giving players the full game? It's like this silly catch 22 BS. They won't support if people don't buy, but people don't buy because there's no support. As players we simply can't win. I'm not throwing money at them for no reason. If they want my money they need to earn it. Getting half-assed support just isn't gonna cut it. So yeah, we suffer ultimately, but really that's not our fault and we shouldn't have to feel guilty about it.

Releasing DLC for a online game will fragment the online community.
Given the fact the it would already be a small community that's the last thing anyone should want a company to do.

like I said this was already late so the right thing to do was add Excluse DLC on the table not some DLC bait on a string to test us

TheNatural

My Member!
How the hell is this nitpicking? Every other version is getting ALL of the game, while the Wii U version isn't? You're saying that Wii U owners should have to work doubly hard (buying the game in mass quantities) for the CHANCE at getting more support? That's crazy as hell. Xbox owners aren't. PS3 owners aren't. Same with PC users. Regardless of how much work they put into the game, it's still missing features and maybe, just maybe Wii U owners want those extra cars, or that airport to run around in. If a person buys the Wii U version, then they're not getting those things.

It's NOT and I repeat NOT our responsibility to give these guys money for half supported ports. If they want our money then they have to earn it. If they weren't going to give Wii U owners the full game with ALL content, then they shouldn't have bothered porting in the first place.

Every other version is getting car packs and an airport level for a total of $35 extra dollars. It's not fucking free. You're saying they shouldn't bother porting it unless they're going to offer an option to pay a ridiculous amount for extraneous worthless shit?

Not to mention the earlier DLC that they had to pay for, that comes free on the Wii U disc, along with other things.

If you're willing to hunt for the most meaningless excuses to not support a third party game when no one else is making ANY games for the system right now, then you get what you deserve when you have no third party support.

Releasing DLC for a online game will fragment the online community.
Given the fact the it would already be a small community that's the last thing anyone should want a company to do.

this makes no sense not all cars are able to go online this is not SimCity you are not forced online

if you want to keep up with your online friends that have a DLC car you don't this should drive sales up not segment it this includes the airport

Every other version is getting car packs and an airport level for a total of $35 extra dollars. It's not fucking free. You're saying they shouldn't bother porting it unless they're going to offer an option to pay a ridiculous amount for extraneous worthless shit?

Not to mention the earlier DLC that they had to pay for, that comes free on the Wii U disc, along with other things.

If you're willing to hunt for the most meaningless excuses to not support a third party game when no one else is making ANY games for the system right now, then you get what you deserve when you have no third party support.
That sounds reasonable to me. Improved graphics, some included DLC, integrated Miiverse, off tv play. It sounds like they put some effort into this.

EDarkness

How is not getting extra cars in a CAR GAME meaningless? Of course they're not free, but people want the option to get them if they want. That's all that matters. If a customer is trying to decide which version to buy, without all of the support there, they'll simply skip the Wii U one. It's as simple as that.

TheNatural

My Member!
How is not getting extra cars in a CAR GAME meaningless? Of course they're not free, but people want the option to get them if they want. That's all that matters. If a customer is trying to decide which version to buy, without all of the support there, they'll simply skip the Wii U one. It's as simple as that.

WiiU version has stuff not in other versions. This isn't a one way street. Welcome to the logistics of multiplatform support. There are plenty of examples where a third party game had some minutia preorder bonus, small DLC, or some mode not in the opposing 360 or PS3 version. But you didn't hear the 260 or PS3 owners say "waaa, 360 is getting this small little thing and my PS3 version isn't so I'm never buying again!"

Scapegoating third parties for the most minuscule shit when they've added stuff is your 'get out of jail free' excuse to bitch when the platform isn't supported. You and others only have yourselves to blame when Wii U projects continue to get cancelled and the platform snubbed in the future.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm semi-interested in this game.

It's obvious they've put a lot of effort into the Wii U version and it's a better port than what we've seen on the Wii U thus far, but my limited interest in racers makes me hesitant to lay down $60. There are far more games that align with my interests from now until June, and with limited amounts of cash, it's harder to justify spending $60 on a whim for a game I might not totally dig.

That being said, I think I'll wait until I see some impressions in this thread before I decide whether or not to jump in. Now more than ever I've been more open to trying out a more diverse set of genres that I typically play. Racers are one of those genres I haven't been fond of, so maybe this will get me interested.

I do hope that Need for Speed: Most Wanted finds a large audience on the Wii U. No other developers has stepped up as much as Criterion has on the Wii U thus far and it deserves sales.

I was also hoping people could answer some questions I had. I remember listening to the Giant Bomb Bomb Cast a while ago and Jeff saying the game was a lot more fun multiplayer than it is single player; is this true? I don't have anyone to play locally with but online I'm sure I'll find people playing.

I'd also like to know whether or not the game is friendly to someone who hasn't played the NFS or Burnout series since the sixth generation - Need for Speed: Underground & Burnout 2.

oh I can agree it is a fine port and well worth the full price and a nice free DLC

Mass Effect 3 Special Edition had a nice free DLC and nothing else

but more cars in a racing game is HUGE not meaningless

Loaded Man

As a Wii U owner, I'm thankful that Criterion put effort into making a great port and because of that I have ordered my copy. I'm not worried about future DLC because if enough Wii U owners purchase the game it will be supported. I understand why 3rd parties don't trust Nintendo gamers because a lot of us are not buying their games. If Nintendo fans want more support they need to start buying some games that aren't made by Nintendo for a change!

PhantomR

Banned

I.....can't really disagree with you here.

WiiU version has stuff not in other versions. This isn't a one way street. Welcome to the logistics of multiplatform support. There are plenty of examples where a third party game had some minutia preorder bonus, small DLC, or some mode not in the opposing 360 or PS3 version. But you didn't hear the 260 or PS3 owners say "waaa, 360 is getting this small little thing and my PS3 version isn't so I'm never buying again!"

Scapegoating third parties for the most minuscule shit when they've added stuff is your 'get out of jail free' excuse to bitch when the platform isn't supported. You and others only have yourselves to blame when Wii U projects continue to get cancelled and the platform snubbed in the future.

what PhantomR said

"I.....can't really disagree with you here."

EDarkness

Sorry man, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I buy TONS of third party games on all systems (including Nintendo systems). In truth I have this game already purchased, so regardless of my feelings about the missing DLC, they have my money. I did my part and purchased Sonic, Black Ops 2 (with no DLC), Darksiders 2 (with no DLC), and Batman Arkham City. However, I'm tired of getting the short end of the stick. The most recent issue is with the upcoming Injustice. The Wii U version doesn't get any DLC, so why the hell should Wii U guys support that version when they're not going to be getting extra stuff like everyone else is?

So yeah, you can say what you want, but I think I and others are simply fed up with this kind of stuff. There's nothing wrong with a missing feature here or there, but missing extra content completely? Sorry, but that's just flat out BS. Paid or not, it should be there.

You act like we deserve to give these guys money, that's just not how it works.

Sorry man, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I buy TONS of third party games on all systems (including Nintendo systems). In truth I have this game already purchased, so regardless of my feelings about the missing DLC, they have my money. I did my part and purchased Sonic, Black Ops 2 (with no DLC), Darksiders 2 (with no DLC), and Batman Arkham City. However, I'm tired of getting the short end of the stick. The most recent issue is with the upcoming Injustice. The Wii U version doesn't get any DLC, so why the hell should Wii U guys support that version when they're not going to be getting extra stuff like everyone else is?

So yeah, you can say what you want, but I think I and others are simply fed up with this kind of stuff. There's nothing wrong with a missing feature here or there, but missing extra content completely? Sorry, but that's just flat out BS. Paid or not, it should be there.

I am tired of it too that is why I have to buy PS4

Still want to play the hell out of this game. This was my most wanted Wii U launch title I should feel more abused than you do but he has a point 3rd Parties like EA has Wii U fans by the balls

TheNatural

My Member!

You keep ignoring the extras they put in, but hey, whatever. Your platform's own funeral. Don't blame third parties in 2014 when all you have is a couple of LEGO games and Madden for the year.

Abylim

You keep ignoring the extras they put in, but hey, whatever. Your platform's own funeral. Don't blame third parties in 2014 when all you have is a couple of LEGO games and Madden for the year.

No, instead blame third parties, or nintendo for giving the Wii U less (No dlc for certain games) for the same price. Dont blame people who dont want to shell out more for less.

EDarkness

Wait, what extras? Ultimate Speed pack? Miiverse support? God mode? I appreciate the Ultimate Speed pack. Don't care about Miiverse support, or God Mode for that matter. Those, I think, are trivial things for me, but I'm sure there are others out there who will appreciate them.

I do appreciate that they tried to do a better job than most, but really, lack of future support unless more people buy is just silly. I was totally fine with what they were doing until they commented on the DLC situation. Don't get me wrong, at least they were honest about it, but the fact that future support is dependent on sales is just something other systems don't have to worry about. People who buy those versions know they're going to be getting support so they don't even bother with talking about it. Nintendo owners always have to worry about this sort of thing, and it's tiring.

No, instead blame third parties, or nintendo for giving the Wii U less (No dlc for certain games) for the same price. Dont blame people who dont want to shell out more for less.

Exactly.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wait, what extras? Ultimate Speed pack? Miiverse support? God mode? I appreciate the Ultimate Speed pack. Don't care about Miiverse support, or God Mode for that matter. Those, I think, are trivial things for me, but I'm sure there are others out there who will appreciate them.

I do appreciate that they tried to do a better job than most, but really, lack of future support unless more people buy is just silly. I was totally fine with what they were doing until they commented on the DLC situation. Don't get me wrong, at least they were honest about it, but the fact that future support is dependent on sales is just something other systems don't have to worry about. People who buy those versions know they're going to be getting support so they don't even bother with talking about it. Nintendo owners always have to worry about this sort of thing, and it's tiring.

Other systems don't have to worry about it because they are viable platforms. Wii U has bombed so far, and it's lucky EA even put this game out with the horrible sales figures thus far. The game obviously isn't going to do well, EA probably knows that now, but the wheels were already in motion before NPD figures were out.

If you're going to nitpick over DLC that 95% plus owners of the game in general probably aren't going to purchase, and base your purchasing decisions on that, then you're not going to have many options.

And it's only something to worry about and tiring if you're one of those weird people that obsesses about what someone else may be getting and you're not. If the DLC was never released and didn't exist, would that make you feel better? I don't see why anyone in their right mind would base a purchasing decision on downloadable content.

It's simple: EA looks at how many Wii Us have been sold, how many copies of NFS are likely to sell, how many people are likely to download DLC, and compare that to how much it costs to port the DLC. If they don't think they will make their money back on Wii U DLC, then they don't make it. You can't blame a company for wanting to make a profit. With the Wii U selling as poorly as it is, how could anyone expect a publisher to not be timid about throwing money at it?

TheNatural

My Member!
It's simple: EA looks at how many Wii Us have been sold, how many copies of NFS are likely to sell, how many people are likely to download DLC, and compare that to how much it costs to port the DLC. If they don't think they will make their money back on Wii U DLC, then they don't make it. You can't blame a company for wanting to make a profit. With the Wii U selling as poorly as it is, how could anyone expect a publisher to not be timid about throwing money at it?

Exactly. That's why I say it's moderately amazing they decided to release it at all, and actually take time to improve some things. They obviously have a very small team and EA is already in cost cutting mode just to get it out the door.

I think I've read other launch games didn't get DLC either. And if this is the standard, people are going to be pissed when Watch Dogs and other games don't come with anything.

EDarkness

Other systems don't have to worry about it because they are viable platforms. Wii U has bombed so far, and it's lucky EA even put this game out with the horrible sales figures thus far. The game obviously isn't going to do well, EA probably knows that now, but the wheels were already in motion before NPD figures were out.

If you're going to nitpick over DLC that 95% plus owners of the game in general probably aren't going to purchase, and base your purchasing decisions on that, then you're not going to have many options.

And it's only something to worry about and tiring if you're one of those weird people that obsesses about what someone else may be getting and you're not. If the DLC was never released and didn't exist, would that make you feel better? I don't see why anyone in their right mind would base a purchasing decision on downloadable content.

Generally, I don't, but in a car game, I want extra cars. Why do people shell out so much money in Forza and the like? Because it's all about getting new cars. If we find out that we CAN'T get new cars, then it's frustrating as hell. So they're saying "buy this version and MAYBE you'll get more cars in the future"...even though those cars are available in the other versions. Why pay full price for a key missing feature? I think that's the part you don't seem to understand.

Personally, I don't give a damn about EA's situation, I don't even care about the Wii U, bombing. Ultimately, it's my money and I can spend it on whatever I want. At this point in time, they want us to buy their game, however they don't want to support it or make them good values for the customer. The impression I get from your comments is that we're simply supposed to buy their games with no questions asked. Like EA and other companies are doing us a favor by porting a cheap games with lots of missing features. Maybe Need for Speed is an exception to the rule, but even that comes with some issues. Lower player count online, no DLC cars, etc.

As a consumer, I don't care about all this external stuff, I just want a good game for the money with all of the features everyone else is getting. This is not unreasonable. If X company can't provide this, then that's on them and they only have themselves to blame. Passing the blame on the consumer is just not the way this game is played. If they want our money, then they have to earn it. That's business.

EDarkness

Then they are to blame when the game doesn't sell well. This has nothing to do with us.

TheNatural

My Member!
Generally, I don't, but in a car game, I want extra cars. Why do people shell out so much money in Forza and the like? Because it's all about getting new cars. If we find out that we CAN'T get new cars, then it's frustrating as hell. So they're saying "buy this version and MAYBE you'll get more cars in the future"...even though those cars are available in the other versions. Why pay full price for a key missing feature? I think that's the part you don't seem to understand.

Personally, I don't give a damn about EA's situation, I don't even care about the Wii U, bombing. Ultimately, it's my money and I can spend it on whatever I want. At this point in time, they want us to buy their game, however they don't want to support it or make them good values for the customer. The impression I get from your comments is that we're simply supposed to buy their games with no questions asked. Like EA and other companies are doing us a favor by porting a cheap games with lots of missing features. Maybe Need for Speed is an exception to the rule, but even that comes with some issues. Lower player count online, no DLC cars, etc.

As a consumer, I don't care about all this external stuff, I just want a good game for the money with all of the features everyone else is getting. This is not unreasonable. If X company can't provide this, then that's on them and they only have themselves to blame. Passing the blame on the consumer is just not the way this game is played. If they want our money, then they have to earn it. That's business.

And it's on you to buy a platform that is well designed to support these types of games. You're right, it's your money. But if you're going to expect equality when you're supporting a hardware manufacturer who's made some horrible design decisions to cause the system to bomb and get poor support, you're not going to get much. Don't know what to tell you. You purchase a Fiat, you can't expect the equality of a Cadillac.

EDarkness

And it's on you to buy a platform that is well designed to support these types of games. You're right, it's your money. But if you're going to expect equality when you're supporting a hardware manufacturer who's made some horrible design decisions to cause the system to bomb and get poor support, you're not going to get much. Don't know what to tell you. You purchase a Fiat, you can't expect the equality of a Cadillac.

This has nothing to do with the platform. It has everything to do with third parties making bad, unsupported ports. My situation is unique since I own all of the systems in question and can choose whatever version I want. However, as a gamer, I hate seeing these kinds of things happen. You don't see guys like Frozenbyte half-assing their Wii U game. They went all in and reaped the rewards of that. This has nothing to do with what system you buy. The Wii U is capable of all the things the 360 can do or the PS3. Hell, all of Ubisoft's games have paid DLC, including their Marvel fighting game. The structure is there.

The bottom line is people shouldn't buy poorly supported products. Regardless of what system they're on.

TheNatural

My Member!
This has nothing to do with the platform. It has everything to do with third parties making bad, unsupported ports. My situation is unique since I own all of the systems in question and can choose whatever version I want. However, as a gamer, I hate seeing these kinds of things happen. You don't see guys like Frozenbyte half-assing their Wii U game. They went all in and reaped the rewards of that. This has nothing to do with what system you buy. The Wii U is capable of all the things the 360 can do or the PS3. Hell, all of Ubisoft's games have paid DLC, including their Marvel fighting game. The structure is there.

The bottom line is people shouldn't buy poorly supported products. Regardless of what system they're on.

Except it's not a bad port. A bad port is something that isn't running as well is other versions, with no advantages. Not getting DLC isn't a bad port. It's not wasting resources on an option no one is going to purchase.

EDarkness

Except it's not a bad port. A bad port is something that isn't running as well is other versions, with no advantages. Not getting DLC isn't a bad port. It's not wasting resources on an option no one is going to purchase.

Wait, how do you know no one is gonna purchase that stuff? It's car game with extra cars, the likelihood of people buying them is pretty damn high. It's one of the reasons people buy these games in the first place. I normally never buy DLC, but I've purchased almost all DLC for other car games I own, simply because I wanted those cars to drive around in. This isn't some trivial thing. It's part of the allure of buying a car game in the first place.

When a person is deciding what version to buy will those other things they added weigh more than not being able to get new cars? I guess we'll find out once the game is available for purchase.

Also, it may not be a "bad" port, but it'll definitely be an unsupported port....

Then they are to blame when the game doesn't sell well. This has nothing to do with us.
Of course, it's not our fault. But whose fault is it? There aren't enough Wii Us in the wild to make porting DLC worthwhile, and that certainly isn't EA's fault. If they could make more money porting DLC you can be damn sure they'd do it. If the Wii U sold twice as well, we could've possibly gotten that DLC. So you can either blame all the people who didn't buy a Wii U or blame Nintendo for not conveying the value of it. I own a Wii U and love the gamepad way more than I expected. That's bad. I should have expected it to be this amazing. Nintendo should have shown me how great the gamepad was before I bought it. That is some bad marketing when you have to buy the product first to see its value.

tl;dr It's not EA's fault they can't make money by porting DLC, it's Nintendo's for poor marketing which lead to meagre sales.

I bet even if the Wii U was selling well it still wouldnt get the dlc. We can make these assumptions about who to blame now as its selling poorly as its only natrual .

EDarkness

Of course, it's not our fault. But whose fault is it? There aren't enough Wii Us in the wild to make porting DLC worthwhile, and that certainly isn't EA's fault. If they could make more money porting DLC you can be damn sure they'd do it. If the Wii U sold twice as well, we could've possibly gotten that DLC. So you can either blame all the people who didn't buy a Wii U or blame Nintendo for not conveying the value of it. I own a Wii U and love the gamepad way more than I expected. That's bad. I should have expected it to be this amazing. Nintendo should have shown me how great the gamepad was before I bought it. That is some bad marketing when you have to buy the product first to see its value.

tl;dr It's not EA's fault they can't make money by porting DLC, it's Nintendo's for poor marketing which lead to meagre sales.

It's EA's fault plain and simple. If the game doesn't sell, it's all on them. Especially when they're gimping the game. If the game had all of the same support and features as the other games, then I could have a little sympathy, because they tried and it didn't do well (this also happens all the time...look at the recent DmC). However, going in with less and expecting something more when the game is late, missing an important aspect of the game, and full price, is asking for failure.

The fact is, they don't even know what the potential for selling the DLC is. I know I would buy extra cars. I would imagine other people who are looking at this game would, too.

I bet even if the Wii U was selling well it still wouldnt get the dlc. We can make these assumptions about who to blame now as its selling poorly as its only natrual .
True, if the Wii U were selling well and EA still didn't port the DLC, I'd probably be pissed. But right now this game is the only port that any company has put any effort into, and you still get people complaining that it's not enough. It's like you're dying of thirst in the desert, EA gives you a glass of ice water, and you smack it out of their hand demanding, "Where's my piña colada?!" We don't get piña coladas, my friend. You have to sell 76 million plus consoles for that.

edit:
The fact is, they don't even know what the potential for selling the DLC is. I know I would buy extra cars. I would imagine other people who are looking at this game would, too.
EA knows exactly how much DLC they'd sell. They're EA. The have DLC down to a science.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's EA's fault plain and simple. If the game doesn't sell, it's all on them. Especially when they're gimping the game. If the game had all of the same support and features as the other games, then I could have a little sympathy, because they tried and it didn't do well (this also happens all the time...look at the recent DmC). However, going in with less and expecting something more when the game is late, missing an important aspect of the game, and full price, is asking for failure.

How about they had not brought it over at all, would that be good enough for you? That's probably what they should have done, since basically every third party game of all varieties and quality bombed at launch.

EDarkness

How about they had not brought it over at all, would that be good enough for you? That's probably what they should have done, since basically every third party game of all varieties and quality bombed at launch.

Honestly, sure. If they're not going to put up the effort, then they shouldn't even bother. Not all games bombed and a lot of them did alright considering the userbase, but hey, let's not forget that most of these games are ports of games that have been out on other systems and are more fully featured on other systems as well. I'm still waiting for the damn Nuketown map I was promised with my copy of Black Ops 2, but hey, I should be happy I got the game at all, even though the version isn't supported like the other versions are. At least I felt like with Sonic I got a full featured game and if I remember correctly the Wii U version was the best selling version of that game. Which is all I ever wanted in the first place.

A friend asked me what games to buy for the Wii U and I told him to avoid all the 3rd party stuff like the plague. Sure I'm part of the problem, but why would I tell my friend to spend money on something that even the makers of the game don't care about. It'd be better for him to spend his money on something else.

Richie

Fellas, just buy the game, and DLC will come, simple as that. Wii U isn't in a situation where third parties can feel secure about making profit. That this went beyond a simple port and had actual effort going into new features and improved graphics, well ... THIS is the kind of third party game you should support with your money.

Top Bottom